Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Fans / Club meeting tonight

Comments

• How many STs have we sold this year? 10,000?

I know a lot of people can't make night games, and an ST is easier than the arseache of buying individual tickets (especially is the ticket office is shut two days a week), but 3,000 no-shows? That's a telling figure.
  • Oh, and sat through the video on Sunday night - just depressing. Amazed how KM can't take responsibility for even the slightest of mistakes.
  • vff said:

Found the figure of nearly 3,000 ST's missing from the average game pretty sobering........
    'SC asked how may season ticket holders are no shows. MA said there are about 3,000 per game on average. Gates announced are all tickets that have been issued.'

That should concern the club. I would be interested to hear the club explanation / spinning of this one. Not surprised the minutes were released after the meeting last week.
    When I read the minutes and saw 3000 I assumed it was a typo and should read 300. I am really shocked at this. There must be some mileage in using this stat for the black and white campaign / protests etc
  • Are all the 10.1k season tickets 'sold' genuinely paid for or is it boosted by giveaways who are generally not turning up? If RD is planning on selling I can understand why he'd want to inflate the numbers in this way.

If they are all paid for the 3k non attendance is staggering.
  • vff said:

Found the figure of nearly 3,000 ST's missing from the average game pretty sobering........
    'SC asked how may season ticket holders are no shows. MA said there are about 3,000 per game on average. Gates announced are all tickets that have been issued.'

That should concern the club. I would be interested to hear the club explanation / spinning of this one. Not surprised the minutes were released after the meeting last week.
    When I read the minutes and saw 3000 I assumed it was a typo and should read 300. I am really shocked at this. There must be some mileage in using this stat for the black and white campaign / protests etc
    This does need to be put into some context. It sounds a high figure and it is, but most recent seasons have seen around 1000-1500 on average not turning up, non-Saturday games are particularly affected. and 3 of our 8 home league games so far haven't been on a Saturday. Even so, it is high and you'd think those 3000 are a non-renewal risk.
  • Surely they can determine how many have gone through the gates now that you have to scan your ticket to enter and have a computer add up how many swipes have taken place?
  • rikofold said:

vff said:

This does need to be put into some context. It sounds a high figure and it is, but most recent seasons have seen around 1000-1500 on average not turning up, non-Saturday games are particularly affected. and 3 of our 8 home league games so far haven't been on a Saturday. Even so, it is high and you'd think those 3000 are a non-renewal risk.
    As was it not an 'aspiration' from our CEO to have more games played on a Friday?
    It may have a certain appeal to family membership, but I really cannot see many 16-30 year old 'casual supporters' being enticed by that idea, with all the club nights, pubs, and other social distractions/competition. Mind you I have noticed that 'gimmick' has been quickly dropped.
  • Is MA the same person who told us the the season tickets that went missing was the fault of The Royal Mail? I bet KM cringed when the 3000 figure was disclosed. If even a sixth of the 3000 (500) are boycotting matches (although that figure may be higher as some on here have stated that the have handed their season tickets to others to use) that makes for more than 2% of the fans protesting against KM/RD in one way or another.
  • rikofold said:

vff said:

As was it not an 'aspiration' from our CEO to have more games played on a Friday?
    It may have a certain appeal to family membership, but I really cannot see many 16-30 year old 'casual supporters' being enticed by that idea, with all the club nights, pubs, and other social distractions/competition. Mind you I have noticed that 'gimmick' has been quickly dropped.
    I think I'd quite like some Friday games if I'm honest.

A few beers with mates, watch the football and head in to London.

Obviously understand why Friday isn't great for most people though.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited November 2015
    rikofold said:

vff said:

If the average is 3,000 then the range is going to be more like 2-4,000. While you are correct that there are always four-figure no shows, the actual shortfall has historically been confused by the parallel issue of unused comps, which can have a take-up of 40 per cent. The more ludicrous official gates have been a matches with up to 5,000 comps notionally issued, although not under this ownership.

It's only now with the new turnstiles that the club will be able to tell one from the other without counting stubs, which we did once or twice as a test.
  • not forgetting the number of discounted tickets sold this year, I wonder what the difference in the overall take is also? Altho I guess some of that may be offset by people paying more to go match by match
  • edited November 2015

rikofold said:

vff said:

If the average is 3,000 then the range is going to be more like 2-4,000. While you are correct that there are always four-figure no shows, the actual shortfall has historically been confused by the parallel issue of unused comps, which can have a take-up of 40 per cent. The more ludicrous official gates have been a matches with up to 5,000 comps notionally issued, although not under this ownership.

It's only now with the new turnstiles that the club will be able to tell one from the other without counting stubs, which we did once or twice as a test.
    I see the actuals as part of my role on the Valley Gold committee and although I'm not free to share them here, since the club has commented I think I'm free to say that from the figures I've seen, which don't include the last two games, the mean is less than 3k. I wonder if the minutes have added a formality to a discussion that was more conversational on the night? You've raised a question in my mind, though, because I think comps have disappeared from the report. That might mean they're no longer counted in the figures, that no comps are being issued, or they're missing. I'll follow that up.

Anyway it's not good, and it's right the club acknowledges that. From memory the highest figure last season was around 3.5k missing for the Norwich game, which was at the peak of dissatisfaction around the Luzon appointment (they missed a good game to be fair).
  • edited November 2015
    Dansk_Red said:

Is MA the same person who told us the the season tickets that went missing was the fault of The Royal Mail? I bet KM cringed when the 3000 figure was disclosed. If even a sixth of the 3000 (500) are boycotting matches (although that figure may be higher as some on here have stated that the have handed their season tickets to others to use) that makes for more than 2% of the fans protesting against KM/RD in one way or another.

The FF was before the Q&A, so she would have had these figures before coming out with her ridiculous 2% figure.

I also wouldn't read too much into that 2% claim. Having watched the video it felt more like a figure she plucked out of thin air, rather than having had any analysis go into it.
  • rikofold said:

rikofold said:

vff said:

I see the actuals as part of my role on the Valley Gold committee and although I'm not free to share them here, since the club has commented I think I'm free to say that from the figures I've seen, which don't include the last two games, the mean is less than 3k. I wonder if the minutes have added a formality to a discussion that was more conversational on the night? You've raised a question in my mind, though, because I think comps have disappeared from the report. That might mean they're no longer counted in the figures, that no comps are being issued, or they're missing. I'll follow that up.

Anyway it's not good, and it's right the club acknowledges that. From memory the highest figure last season was around 3.5k missing for the Norwich game, which was at the peak of dissatisfaction around the Luzon appointment (they missed a good game to be fair).
    Quite likely, but visual evidence would suggest that the shortfall between the announced and the actual is higher than usual.
  • rikofold said:

rikofold said:

vff said:

Quite likely, but visual evidence would suggest that the shortfall between the announced and the actual is higher than usual.
    As do the figures.
  • edited November 2015

rikofold said:

Saw this on Facebook earlier.

Not all of us think it's the brightest move to get Roland out. Using his money more wisely than he is would be better.
    Sadly, that reads like "He can stay and keep pumping his money only if I'm (we are) allowed to dictate what it's spent on"
    Assuming when it is stated that the aim is to "break even" applies to the investor as well as the club then whilst there is obvious gratitude due for continual funding it is not necessarily at material expense to the funder.

It is admirable and certainly shouldn't be dismissed as there isn't an overtly apparent queue of others waiting to fill that funding gap if he wasn't here. However this is not a zoo,an art gallery or a museum whose sustainability can be maintained by merely breaking even.

For a club like ours without the luxury of a fan base the size of Man Utd's or without developing upon the break even model they have outlined they are not going to attract the catalysts required to progress the club, namely bigger crowds and better players particularly with the diminishing of the network with Liege's disposal and the heavily flawed "sell our best players"

The selling the best academy players is a bit Golden Goose at this level. It is gambling we will produce a Gomez or Poyet every couple of seasons which is not always realistic and certainly not an astute business model to base forecast revenue on

It's also uninspiring for supporters seeing the best players sold each term or best prospects leaving the minute they show a glimpse of potential.

Unless they are modelling the club on Crewe.
  • rikofold said:

Saw this on Facebook earlier.

Not all of us think it's the brightest move to get Roland out. Using his money more wisely than he is would be better.
    Sadly, that reads like "He can stay and keep pumping his money only if I'm (we are) allowed to dictate what it's spent on"
    Assuming when it is stated that the aim is to "break even" applies to the investor as well as the club then whilst there is obvious gratitude due for continual funding it is not necessarily at material expense to the funder.

It is admirable and certainly shouldn't be dismissed as there isn't an overtly apparent queue of others waiting to fill that funding gap if he wasn't here. However this is not a zoo,an art gallery or a museum whose sustainability can be maintained by merely breaking even.

For a club like ours without the luxury of a fan base the size of Man Utd's or without developing upon the break even model they have outlined they are not going to attract the catalysts required to progress the club, namely bigger crowds and better players particularly with the diminishing of the network with Liege's disposal and the heavily flawed "sell our best players"

The selling the best academy players is a bit Golden Goose at this level. It is gambling we will produce a Gomez or Poyet every couple of seasons which is not always realistic and certainly not an astute business model to base forecast revenue on

It's also uninspiring for supporters seeing the best players sold each term or best prospects leaving the minute they show a glimpse of potential.

Unless they are modelling the club on Crewe.
    I agree with all of that but developing players and selling them was the only financial model that worked for most of the Football League clubs for decades - and I'm including those in the old First Division as well.
  • rikofold said:

rikofold said:

rikofold said:

vff said:

As do the figures.
    Presumably with the new ticketing system the club can identify which fans are not attending and develop trends as to which games that don't attend. I don't suppose they would let us know, and I suspect that they won't go to the trouble to analyse the data properly, but it must now be possible to expand on the numbers to identify opportunities and threats.

All we need now is a competent CEO and an experienced team working under him/her.
  • rikofold said:

rikofold said:

rikofold said:

vff said:

As do the figures.
    Presumably with the new ticketing system the club can identify which fans are not attending and develop trends as to which games that don't attend. I don't suppose they would let us know, and I suspect that they won't go to the trouble to analyse the data properly, but it must now be possible to expand on the numbers to identify opportunities and threats.

All we need now is a competent CEO and an experienced team working under him/her.

Many clubs these days are using CRM agency's where the agency receives data about who is attending the games, who is spending money at the club shop etc etc and then analyse the data, and any other data to work out a season ticket propensity model. This will basically tell them which supporters are on track to renew and which supporters are at risk. Those that are more at risk may get more targeted communications, be it a phone call or an email, to try and get them back on track.

Not sure if we are doing this, as while I imagine we do have a CRM agency, judging on the email comms I receive it doesn't appear to be all that targeted.
  • Sponsored links:

• rikofold said:

rikofold said:

rikofold said:

vff said:

As do the figures.

Many clubs these days are using CRM agency's where the agency receives data about who is attending the games, who is spending money at the club shop etc etc and then analyse the data, and any other data to work out a season ticket propensity model. This will basically tell them which supporters are on track to renew and which supporters are at risk. Those that are more at risk may get more targeted communications, be it a phone call or an email, to try and get them back on track.

Not sure if we are doing this, as while I imagine we do have a CRM agency, judging on the email comms I receive it doesn't appear to be all that targeted.
    My understanding is that they are trying to utilise Greenwich University in respect of the data.
  • rikofold said:

rikofold said:

rikofold said:

vff said:

As do the figures.

My understanding is that they are trying to utilise Greenwich University in respect of the data.
    What? So they want students to work for nothing?
  • I was speaking to UoG earlier about the work they do with their students to increase post graduation employability - I imagine their sponsorship of the club requires that we use their students for certain projects to give them experience.
  • edited November 2015
    So, there are some people at the club, and apparently on here, who are are debating the causes of the declining attendances and employing data analysis and software to identify causes and possible solutions!

Is anyone in any doubt that the single cause of the declining attendances, without a shadow of doubt, is the shit football that has been on display for the last 10 years (with the exception of a couple of good seasons under Chris Powell) as the club has appointed one shit inexperienced manager after another since the sacking of Alan Pardew?

At the moment this is the only issue with the club. Nothing else matters. When are they going to appoint an experienced manager with an experienced coaching team to support him?

I can't believe the never ending discussions about our CEO. A monkey could be employed as the Charlton CEO, it does not really matter and most fans outside of the forums could not care less. The single most important employee of a football club is the first team coach/manager.

Every single other issue and grievance is irrelevant and a distraction.
  • edited November 2015
    'Is anyone in any doubt that the single cause of the declining attendances, without a shadow of doubt, is the shit football that has been on display for the last 10 years as the club has appointed one shit inexperienced manager after another since the sacking of Alan Pardew?'

I can feel a backlash from Chrissy Powell's fan club coming on :open_mouth:
  • PL54 said:

I was speaking to UoG earlier about the work they do with their students to increase post graduation employability - I imagine their sponsorship of the club requires that we use their students for certain projects to give them experience.

Next manager maybe?
    If you we need someone with a MSc and dissertation focussed on Spatial Syntax then it's an option
  • PL54 said:

PL54 said:

I was speaking to UoG earlier about the work they do with their students to increase post graduation employability - I imagine their sponsorship of the club requires that we use their students for certain projects to give them experience.

Next manager maybe?
    If you we need someone with a MSc and dissertation focussed on Spatial Syntax then it's an option
    Oh..... the work of Hillier and Hanson, then surely you would be better off using UCL,?
    Did you speak to 'Elaine' the Industrial Relations placements co-ordinator at UoG, very helpful lady and a CAFC fan apparently........
  • RedChaser said:

'Is anyone in any doubt that the single cause of the declining attendances, without a shadow of doubt, is the shit football that has been on display for the last 10 years as the club has appointed one shit inexperienced manager after another since the sacking of Alan Pardew?'

Yes, whilst I was writing that post I said to myself I must include something about Chris Powell's tenure before I actually post. But I forgot.

• edited November 2015

RedChaser said:

Yes, whilst I was writing that post I said to myself I must include something about Chris Powell's tenure before I actually post. But I forgot.

To be fair he was inexperienced and the football was at league one standard, however it was a great ride while it lasted, tasting success and smashing records after the glass mountain we'd been on since our fall from the Prem. :wink: