Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

A proportionate protest - Charlton v Ipswich *Stand Up For The 2%*

Comments

• Options

Wait, is the aim of this protest to get the club to employ(re-employ in some cases) certain fans in high up positions?

I am sure that is not the aim, however the CEO could do a lot worse than re employ some of the former senior managers that post on this forum.
    The accumulated knowledge of the staff that were chased out of the club, would I guarantee have stopped an awful lot of shambles that now seem to be taking place at the valley.
  • Options

2 minutes after kick off? Would never work at our place. 98% of us are still in the bar at 3:02pm.

Have you tried a good old riot? That's what we always

and how was Fleetwood MF ?

Didn't go, a Tuesday night up there was a bit hardcore for me. Maybe in my younger years. Over 500 did go though. Hats off to them.
    Shame because that's one of the ones I wanted to tick off my list this season. Will have to wait until next year. If we're still in the same division as fleetwood that is. You going to have it next season? ;-)
  • Options

Curb_It said:

Just home after a day on the juice and Five Finger Death Punch at Wembley (I'm mad me). Handing out leaflets was interesting - about half the punters made eye contact and took one. The other half either looked terribly embarrassed and veered away or sauntered past looking above it all. I had two whisper that they were 'the 98%' and I hope they enjoyed the game today because it was our season in microcosm. It really isn't going to end well and those who are satisfied with the way things are going are blind and will be like reformed smokers once the game's up. In the ground I thought the show on two minutes made the point that it's far more than 2% but let's face it, 30% didn't even bother coming today. I'd like to try Katrien's rose-tinted glasses on to see if it fills the stadium up. The Ipswich fans riposte of 'your support is fucking shit" was spot on. Based on today, it could all be too late, and those who have been duped by fresh paint and new seats and investment in selling players on will live to rue the day.

Hilarious. They whispered to you that they were the 98%. But yet others giving out leaflets were told to fuck off?

Typical bully boy tactics.

Well done DT.

He said that he had to whisper not that they whispered!

No he didn't. He said I had two whisper that they... Or have I just been whooshed?

• Options
    Sorry quoting bit messed up.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Just home after a day on the juice and Five Finger Death Punch at Wembley (I'm mad me). Handing out leaflets was interesting - about half the punters made eye contact and took one. The other half either looked terribly embarrassed and veered away or sauntered past looking above it all. I had two whisper that they were 'the 98%' and I hope they enjoyed the game today because it was our season in microcosm. It really isn't going to end well and those who are satisfied with the way things are going are blind and will be like reformed smokers once the game's up. In the ground I thought the show on two minutes made the point that it's far more than 2% but let's face it, 30% didn't even bother coming today. I'd like to try Katrien's rose-tinted glasses on to see if it fills the stadium up. The Ipswich fans riposte of 'your support is fucking shit" was spot on. Based on today, it could all be too late, and those who have been duped by fresh paint and new seats and investment in selling players on will live to rue the day.

I would add that perhaps the reason you only had a 50% take up rate, was because you were standing at the corner of Charlton Lane/Harvey Gardens and I was leafleting outside The Oak.

So 50% had already accepted a leaflet, before they got to you.
  • Options

So the 20/80 principle is called Pareto principle, therefore 2/98 rule must be called Katrien concept.

:smiley: Airman, you should use that in VOTV
  • Options
    K

Didn't go, a Tuesday night up there was a bit hardcore for me. Maybe in my younger years. Over 500 did go though. Hats off to them.

Great turn out but 490 was the number #pedantic but as the Charlton oracle on away support I gotta keep these things accurate

Great turn out but 490 was the number #pedantic but as the Charlton oracle on away support I gotta keep these things accurate

We had 10 in an exec box and a couple in the exec home seats. As I said over 500 ;-)

• Options
    Not sure if it has been posted yet but does anyone have a clip of the Sky coverage of the protest?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Fair point ...getting enough fans in the ground to even make a protest could be a challenge.
  • Options

Seen the club are doing bag checks on the door for security reasons, on the recommendation of the Met. I do not doubt this is their genuine reason for doing this.

But I would not be surprised if the club use this as a way to stop anyone entering the ground with more than just a handful of these.. so probably best to give out as many as possible outside the ground and not rely on in the stadium distribution.

Would volunteer but can't make the game! Will be watching on TV will probably get carried away and stand and chant at the second minute as an act of solidarity!

I'd imagine we will shift all the leaflets outside the ground. I was on the pavement behind the North Stand last game and was politely asked to get off Club property so I stood in the road so taking them into the ground in bulk isn't really an option.
    Surely the pavement is public property ?
    I thought that but didn't want to argue the point and cause a potential problem for Joe
    I cannot understand why you handing out flyers on Thursday the 26th?
  • Options
    PL54 said:

WSS said:

mogodon said:

What's the actual attendance. Looks on TV as if it has to be under 10,000

I reckon about 6,000 home fans
    If there are the best part of 3k in the away end I estimate about 8 or 9 k in the home ends.
    Do you mean the home end? What about the sides? There is so much ''bigging up'' on this subject by any perspective. Apart from the North End the whole ''protest'' was a fiasco. Hundreds of supporters were refusing the flyers in Floyd Road, not forgetting those who screwed them up and threw them away. Is it not time to ''get real''?
  • Options
    kentred2 said:

Sky made it look good. All those that didn't stand up with flyer have a major problem.

Really?
  • Options
    waldo said:

PL54 said:

WSS said:

mogodon said:

What's the actual attendance. Looks on TV as if it has to be under 10,000

I reckon about 6,000 home fans
    If there are the best part of 3k in the away end I estimate about 8 or 9 k in the home ends.
    Do you mean the home end? What about the sides? There is so much ''bigging up'' on this subject by any perspective. Apart from the North End the whole ''protest'' was a fiasco. Hundreds of supporters were refusing the flyers in Floyd Road, not forgetting those who screwed them up and threw them away. Is it not time to ''get real''?
    Yes, I think think it is time for you to get real.
  • Options
    C4FC4L1f3 said:

Woke up with a sore head after a great night trying to forget the match :)

I just wanted to say I thought the protest was brilliant! Well done to all involved!!! Some of the things I was shouting when handing them out was as follows:

"Love it, hate it, support it, don't support it, this is your charlton find out what we are protesting about! It is all on the back of this flyer!!"

"Don't sit back and ignore what is happening to your club! read about it in this flyer"

"There will be a protest 2 minutes into the game find out why"

"This is not a Black Friday weekend event, we are not giving 2% off washing machines and ovens!! This is a protest and it is an ongoing event" - this got lots of laughs.

I must have handed out about 500 in 30-40 mins. And walked around a lot to get a feel for the protest, I must say most fans seemed very interested, I noticed that some had walked past 3-4 people handing them out but when they heard me shouting the decided to take one which I thought was great!

98% of people I saw had a flyer so that was good. If we handed out all 10k I doubt there was that in the stadium yesterday in the home end.

I personally feel that the actual protest was great and sitting in the noisy part of the North upper it sounded very loud. Looking at the east stand there was a lot of people holding up flyers the west was empty anyway so only small patches of posters.

Considering at the Wednesday game I counted about 5 scarfs in the east and west, and we have had two wins, the amount of scarfs and stuff blew me away!

Some people have put some very hard work into this and I applaud that.

The person who convinced me to protest was Katrien after her fans meeting. I finished that video and thought, I have only supported CAFC a few years and they now don't give a fluck about my support.

Having also met her and Rolland in Belgium when they first bought us. I must say I'm not convinced what they said then is what we have now or even working towards.

I will continue to support the team. But I'm sorry I can't get behind the current regimes gimmicks and BS.

Happy for them to stay but they MUST change there ways! And fast.

Anyway thanks again to all those who are helping make this happen.

98%! I don't believe you. You must be David Cameron's statistician!
  • Options

I've not read the whole thread but my observation is that I couldn't hear those singing, apart from Henry sat in front of me, in the ground or on the tele when I got home.

I couldn't tell who was holding up the 'posters' but is felt, to me, like a minoriry.

I still think it was enough to make a point and the decision from Sky to show a section of fans and then cut to KM who was looking left and right and looking a little uncomfortable, has achieved the aim.

I, still, couldn't, however, feel deflated coming away from the game after seeing us lose 3-0 at home again.

I think today worked, even though I think it was less impacting than many had hoped for.

We do, however, need to inprove on the pitch of we could find ourselves holding these protests in the third division.

Your right, it was a minority ?

49% of people protested.

Katrien will concede it was 5%

Maths is not her strong point.

• Options
    edited November 2015

Not forced upon but the view is stated above quite clearly, that if you dont see it your blind, you will live to rue the day, its being force fed if not forced upon there is no choice to ignore, without being told your wrong,

I watched it tonight on the TV, we played shit we lost, but I thought the whole protest looked disjointed and not supported by many at all infact it seemed like a lot of good hard effort went in to it but was lost because there were pockets of fans who looked like they believed more people near them felt the same and when the support around them never stood, they looked alone and embarrassed,

I dont know how that will change if it will at all but there needs to be a re think and a structure to match the efforts and Imo the focus shouldnt be on protesting but getting fans on board with the points being made

Then when support is larger and more widespread then look at protests

Totally disagree don't know how it came over on TV to be honest don't care, the (lack of ) numbers in the ground showed how our support is going.

To get circa 50% g up the poster at Charlton shows how pissed off people are and people at the ground who had not previously heard about the campaign were certainly talking about it!

The vast majority of those holding them up were in the nth stand, most were already aware of the protest as the demographic fan base up there is one that uses social media and voice their opinions on it, for tie protest to work correctly you need more than those fans

Ignoring the rude and agressive comments to the people handing them out,

acknowledgement of the volunteers experience on the day and there is a very large number of fans who just dont agree and dont want to have others telling them, they dont care enough, their blind to the truth or they can have a love in with Km,

From the begining I said the divisions in the fan base is the biggest obstacle to over come, and not solely getting the point across to km and Rd,

If that doesn't get resolved the next leaflet drop I can see someone reporting back a more physical response being aimed towards them

Theres those in protest who want different outcomes, let alone outside of that, focus on the hearts and minds and then see, but the biggest acceptance needs to be that this will take a long time, just because it might mean the work and message is not so visible but it will be just as important
    I for one realise it will take a long time.

In football terms we've only got to the pre-match warm up.

Yet some are booing from the stands already and others are already analysing the result.

Fact is Stand up for the 2% worked. End of.

It disproved the CEO'S silly claim that it was only 2% who are unhappy.

It got publicity in the fan base. Even those who oppose it are discussing it and it will be a lot more than two weeks ago. And it got into the media. It worked. It was a success.

No one involved expected 100% of people to know about it or join in but that seems to be the bar being set by critics.

Spell it out is 6 weeks old. That's all. Put it in that perspective.

It's outgrown it's internet start in life and now exists in the real world.

It's also found a new champion and leader. My John the Baptist role is diminishing to just spreading the word. The miracle of the 10k leaflets has been seen.

The campaign continues.

The aims of

Professionalism

Transparency

Business focus and

Teamwork

Remain
    Quite extraordinary.

And before you flag, I was on my feet in the Upper West with my 2% flyer.