Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

JBG on protests: It's not nice"

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2015

This sort of interview will only increase the number of empty seats. The fans who are protesting are the ones who care about the club, and have seen managers and players come and go. I'd say there were barely 10,000 there on saturday, and the reporter might have asked what it's like to play in front of an empty stadium, which it would have been if not for Ipswich's fantastic support. Easier to focus on the ones who are there rather than the ones who have had enough.

I think we need to be careful not to label those not protesting as 'not caring about the club'. Firstly it's not true, but it risks driving an unnecessary entrenchment that will only undermine the protests (just as misogynistic and xenophobic stuff does).

I was delayed on the A2 so missed the 2nd minute, but watching it back it looked effective and got the message across well. As you suggest, perhaps a message just as meaningful was that sent by the number of empty seats. That speaks of a large silent group who simply can't get on with what they feel we've become under this (and perhaps the previous) regime. I do wish for the days when fans would turn up and back the team regardless, but I also understand why that's not happening today for many.

And in a pure footballing sense, whilst the crowd can make a difference the players have a responsibility regardless - lazy comments along the lines of "they don't help" also "won't help".
  • Options
    be interesting to see if this article appears on the official CAFC site. I can imagine KM wanting to use this as an official warning to fans..." look what your actions are doing".....type thing!
  • Options
    The majority of footballers are cowards at Heart they will take any excuse to hide behind their own piss poor performance just like Sheffield u in the cup, black and white expresses without distraction
  • Options
    If you want to support the team then attend, going to a game and booing for 90mins seems like a rediculous thing to do
  • Options
    If crowd support and noise made a big difference to teams I dont really see us two divisions above Pompey
    Ok it will be the same one next year .......
  • Options

He was asked a question and answered it by a journalist looking for a headline. Remember English is not his first language, I work with a lot of people from within Europe who's first language is not English and often when answering a question or explaining something they often sound very blunt and direct as they do not have the words to explain what they are thinking.

Johann can speak very good English, he's fluent. Icelandic people live off American/Uk TV/Sports and their schools are very hot on teaching English from an early age.

Anyway, again more tabloid usage to try blunt the sharp edge of the protest.. we all know KM uses NS to her advantage.

In the second half of the match considering the score our fans were a lot kinder than many would be.
  • Options

If crowd support and noise made a big difference to teams I dont really see us two divisions above Pompey

Dunno... I reckon the Portsmouth fans were protesting a lot about their owners for a few years...
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    'Watching the game on TV on Saturday, you couldn't tell that fans were wearing black and white scarves.'

@braydex you need a colour telly for Christmas..........oh I see what you did there very subtle message to Santa :wink:
  • Options
    shine166 said:

If you want to support the team then attend, going to a game and booing for 90mins seems like a rediculous thing to do

Completely agree with this... If you want to get behind the team make some noise and support them, if you don't like how they're playing then just remain silent or leave because the booing doesnt help.

Isnt there the saying... Silence speaks a thousand words?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RedChaser said:

'Watching the game on TV on Saturday, you couldn't tell that fans were wearing black and white scarves.'

@braydex you need a colour telly for Christmas..........oh I see what you did there very subtle message to Santa :wink:

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/resources/images/4504291.jpg?display=1&htype=16&type=mc3

Have a look at the above picture taken from the West Stand......what stands our more, black and white scarves or thousands of empty red seats?

Nothing personal against those behind the black and white campaign, but I just dont think it is very effective.
  • Options
    braydex said:

RedChaser said:

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/resources/images/4504291.jpg?display=1&htype=16&type=mc3

Have a look at the above picture taken from the West Stand......what stands our more, black and white scarves or thousands of empty red seats?

Nothing personal against those behind the black and white campaign, but I just dont think it is very effective.
    Both are symptoms of the same problem. Not sure how you'd suggest attending supporters fill empty seats?
  • Options
    Disappointed by those comments.

This is about more than the current crop of player through IMO and we have to be longer sighted than that.
  • Options
    braydex said:

RedChaser said:

I admire your stance and whilst I accept that sometimes it takes drastic measures like a full boycott, in reality it just isn't going to happen. Some fans will see it as cutting off your nose to spite your face so the Black and White campaign, scarves et al is the next best thing IMO.
  • Options
    I understand his frustration.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Tbf he did say it wasn't good enough. Let's at least give him credit for that.
  • Options
    I

We wouldn't be the consistent utter shambles in local derbies either if good vocal support made a real difference
  • Options

braydex said:

RedChaser said:

But no one is reporting your absence.

Is the CEO being given flyers in the streets about your non-attendance?

Does anyone not reading your posts know that your not attending or why?

Are the media running stories about "Braydex not at game again:crisis talks imminent"?

How effective has you staying away been? Has anything changed as a result.

Yes, staying away hurts them if you've stopped paying but in their arrogance they will say it's because the weather was bad, it's close to Christmas, it was on TV and anyway we have their money and the gate is still officially 16k.

I'm not attacking people who stay away, it's your choice and I understand why. And yes in the long term it hurts them.

but I'd rather have a campaign that is visable and that people can see and that brings change, whoever small or unlikely, before we lose more fans and more income.

SIO and boycotts shouldn't be seen as mutually exclusive options, they are not in competition.
    I totally understand what you are saying and perhaps i'm not coming across as being understanding to the black and white protests etc. I am. I do understand why people might choose to take part in it.

Of course, no one is reporting on my absence and I wouldn't expect them to. But a total boycott of one of more games would seriously make the owner think "this cannot carry on", and i'm confident it would get media attention.

Staying away week in week out is killing me. I hate it. I started the season like plenty of others, optimistic if not entirely happy. If still a bit confused. But I still bought season tickets. After a while, I just ended up really not enjoying going to matches. Why should I go? The players are not good enough and the squad is too small. The owner doesn't really care. The CEO resents the fans. What/who am I supporting?

I watched the game on Saturday with my boys in a pub in Essex (so I haven't totally given up on them). I saw absolutely nothing that would make me come back any time soon. The look on KM's face spoke a thousand words. She couldn't have cared less if all those attending had dressed up as Mr Blobby to make their point. They still made noise. They still spent money. She's not interested in what you/us think. She is running a business and if the customers don't like it, they can 'shop' elsewhere. And my fear is.....they are/will.

• Options
    braydex said:

be interesting to see if this article appears on the official CAFC site. I can imagine KM wanting to use this as an official warning to fans..." look what your actions are doing".....type thing!

There's a piece on the official site now: http://www.cafc.co.uk/news/article/charlton-athletic-johann-berg-gudmundsson-ipswich-2827849.aspx

They (the media team) definitely read posts on here.
  • Options
    braydex said:

braydex said:

RedChaser said:

But no one is reporting your absence.

Is the CEO being given flyers in the streets about your non-attendance?

Does anyone not reading your posts know that your not attending or why?

Are the media running stories about "Braydex not at game again:crisis talks imminent"?

How effective has you staying away been? Has anything changed as a result.

Yes, staying away hurts them if you've stopped paying but in their arrogance they will say it's because the weather was bad, it's close to Christmas, it was on TV and anyway we have their money and the gate is still officially 16k.

I'm not attacking people who stay away, it's your choice and I understand why. And yes in the long term it hurts them.

but I'd rather have a campaign that is visable and that people can see and that brings change, whoever small or unlikely, before we lose more fans and more income.

SIO and boycotts shouldn't be seen as mutually exclusive options, they are not in competition.
    The look on KM's face spoke a thousand words. She couldn't have cared less if all those attending had dressed up as Mr Blobby to make their point. They still made noise. They still spent money. She's not interested in what you/us think. She is running a business and if the customers don't like it, they can 'shop' elsewhere. And my fear is.....they are/will.

excellant idea, already the right shape ;-))

• Options
    Addicted said:

braydex said:

RedChaser said:

fill empty seats?
    It's okay KM has a plan for that. I hear she's been on the telephone to Arsenal to ask if they've still got the old North Bank mural. Just needs a few words changing on the advertisement. (Interesting to be reminded that even a club as well off as Arsenal were not shy about getting supporters on board with a long-term payment scheme.) It is true by the way, there is not one single Belgian depicted in that mural.

• Options

I don't think he's said anything wrong.
    The last thing we want now is fans getting on his back. If they do that you might as well kiss goodbye to the championship right now.

• Options
    Couldn't agree more. There's a whole lot of fans on here intent on shooting themselves in the foot
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    KINSELLA7 said:

I don't think he's said anything wrong.
    The last thing we want now is fans getting on his back. If they do that you might as well kiss goodbye to the championship right now.

Don't quite agree with this, I would suggest the last thing he wants is not getting paid.
  • Options
    Don't worry , it won't be an issue in the future , the fans simply won't bother turning up.