Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

JBG on protests: It's not nice"

12346»

Comments

• Options
    cafctom said:

cafctom said:

shine166 said:

If you want to support the team then attend, going to a game and booing for 90mins seems like a rediculous thing to do

Completely agree with this... If you want to get behind the team make some noise and support them, if you don't like how they're playing then just remain silent or leave because the booing doesnt help.

Isnt there the saying... Silence speaks a thousand words?
    Not sure if you were at this game, or the ones against Preston or Brentford - but there really isn't that much booing going on considering how terrible things are. Most are just sat there in silence/apathy, as I suspect a lot of people are past the point of anger and are just accepting of the fact that we are a club that is absolutely up the creek.

Can you imagine the likes of Leeds, Millwall or any other Football League club for that matter giving players an easy time like we have after so many thrashings at home?
    I'm at every home game... Are you serious to say there wasn't much booing at those games, a goal only had to go in against Brentford and the fans would boo

My other half refuses to attend matches now because she's fed up of the negative rubbish the fans come out with!!

cafctom said:

shine166 said:

If you want to support the team then attend, going to a game and booing for 90mins seems like a rediculous thing to do

Completely agree with this... If you want to get behind the team make some noise and support them, if you don't like how they're playing then just remain silent or leave because the booing doesnt help.

Not sure if you were at this game, or the ones against Preston or Brentford - but there really isn't that much booing going on considering how terrible things are. Most are just sat there in silence/apathy, as I suspect a lot of people are past the point of anger and are just accepting of the fact that we are a club that is absolutely up the creek.

Can you imagine the likes of Leeds, Millwall or any other Football League club for that matter giving players an easy time like we have after so many thrashings at home?
    I'm at every home game... Are you serious to say there wasn't much booing at those games, a goal only had to go in against Brentford and the fans would boo

My other half refuses to attend matches now because she's fed up of the negative rubbish the fans come out with!!
    People were booing after conceding agaisnt Brentford because it was on the back of about two months of other games without any wins! Not to mention the fact we had also lost 0-3 at home to Preston a few days earlier.

There is only so much supporters can take before they start showing their displeasure. Charlton fans are actually very tame in this respect. Many other clubs would have fans who would be spotted throwing season tickets at the manager or rabidly trying to get in the faces of players as they leave the pitch if they had gone on such a bad losing streak as ours.

I agree that booing rarely works. But with this ownership situation I guess people just feel helpless and in that moment want to show whatever displeasure they can.

Charlton players get an easy ride with our fanbase.
    Which other fans are throwing their season tickets at the Manager though...? The only case is Blackpool because their owner refuses to spend any money, ours spends we just cant win matches because of poor Managerial appointments

Your original comment stated that there wasn't much booing at Brentford though and now your saying that the fans did boo after each goal...

Yes I understand that its frustrating for many Supporters but why not save your frustrations for the end of the match, doing it when we go a goal down is ludicrous because we have a chance of coming back (and before you laugh I watched a terrible Bolton side last night who got a fluke goal to equalise and then should have won the match... Their fans didn't boo once when they conceded!!)

Would love to be given an example of when booing the side has helped the performance...?
  • Options

cafctom said:

cafctom said:

shine166 said:

cafctom said:

shine166 said:

People were booing after conceding agaisnt Brentford because it was on the back of about two months of other games without any wins! Not to mention the fact we had also lost 0-3 at home to Preston a few days earlier.

There is only so much supporters can take before they start showing their displeasure. Charlton fans are actually very tame in this respect. Many other clubs would have fans who would be spotted throwing season tickets at the manager or rabidly trying to get in the faces of players as they leave the pitch if they had gone on such a bad losing streak as ours.

I agree that booing rarely works. But with this ownership situation I guess people just feel helpless and in that moment want to show whatever displeasure they can.

Charlton players get an easy ride with our fanbase.
    Which other fans are throwing their season tickets at the Manager though...? The only case is Blackpool because their owner refuses to spend any money, ours spends we just cant win matches because of poor Managerial appointments

Your original comment stated that there wasn't much booing at Brentford though and now your saying that the fans did boo after each goal...

Yes I understand that its frustrating for many Supporters but why not save your frustrations for the end of the match, doing it when we go a goal down is ludicrous because we have a chance of coming back (and before you laugh I watched a terrible Bolton side last night who got a fluke goal to equalise and then should have won the match... Their fans didn't boo once when they conceded!!)

Would love to be given an example of when booing the side has helped the performance...?
    The only audible boos on Saturday were briefly at half time and then when the third goal went in.

Like @cafctom says, compared to other clubs we're pussycats.

Anyway - JBG wasn't really moaning, he was asked a question and he answered it, and when you read the full quote it's not as inflammatory as the original Newshopper online piece.
  • Options
    Newcastle have booed Ashley for years - he spent a lot of money in the summer didn't he ?
  • Options

When read in context it's not one to get overly excited about. I must admit that comments like those do bug me though. For the fifth home game in the last six we saw the team go 2-0 behind, what does he really want us to do at that point?

Sit there in silence or if you really don't like it then leave?

This isnt a dig at the comment I'm quoting now but people say: Oh if that was my line of work and I was producing results like that then I'd be sacked... Well how the hell would people on here like it if they got booed and shouted that their rubbish if they made a mistake at work... they'd be straight to HR crying their eyes out!!
    but football is a different type of business all together. People pay to watch you perform. Footballers get a bloody good wage. If they don't like it then perhaps they should get a job in a factory, they wouldn't last five minutes.

You're missing the point! Just because they are footballers and paid (relatively) well it doesn't make some of them immune from being adversely affected by negativity! The good old fashioned 'man up' macho approach doesn't account for the fact that different people are affected in different ways - feelings and emotions and all that. Ultimately, if you want someone to perform well in the 'workplace' they need to feel appreciated/loved/whatever you want to call it. It's human nature! So, whilst I agree with the concept of protesting against the ineptitude and intransigence of the ownership etc, we should be cautious when it comes to the impact it can have on the players.

I know someone fairly well who is closely related to one of the players. They said to me the other day that the protests are definitely having a negative effect on the team. Proof, pudding etc etc.
  • Options

When read in context it's not one to get overly excited about. I must admit that comments like those do bug me though. For the fifth home game in the last six we saw the team go 2-0 behind, what does he really want us to do at that point?

This isnt a dig at the comment I'm quoting now but people say: Oh if that was my line of work and I was producing results like that then I'd be sacked... Well how the hell would people on here like it if they got booed and shouted that their rubbish if they made a mistake at work... they'd be straight to HR crying their eyes out!!
    but football is a different type of business all together. People pay to watch you perform. Footballers get a bloody good wage. If they don't like it then perhaps they should get a job in a factory, they wouldn't last five minutes.

You're missing the point! Just because they are footballers and paid (relatively) well it doesn't make some of them immune from being adversely affected by negativity! The good old fashioned 'man up' macho approach doesn't account for the fact that different people are affected in different ways - feelings and emotions and all that. Ultimately, if you want someone to perform well in the 'workplace' they need to feel appreciated/loved/whatever you want to call it. It's human nature! So, whilst I agree with the concept of protesting against the ineptitude and intransigence of the ownership etc, we should be cautious when it comes to the impact it can have on the players.

I know someone fairly well who is closely related to one of the players. They said to me the other day that the protests are definitely having a negative effect on the team. Proof, pudding etc etc.
    I feel so sorry for them, poor lambs.

Actually ...bolox ...try and see what life is like in the real world. Pathetic.
  • Options
    HandG said:

I got my son his first season ticket last year and had dreams of me, my dad and my boy attending games for years to come. Instead I have spent the last 18 months apologising to him and watching him get gradually more disinterested. I am totally depressed about this whole situation as Charlton has been one of the biggest pleasures in my life for over 30 years yet I feel we're on the verge of a massive break up from which we might not recover. That breaks my heart and at present my only means of trying to rectify the situation is to make my feelings known to our owners-rightly so this is currently being done in a very measured and (mostly) polite way so if our precious players are being affected by it and the near non existent booing then I suggest they wear ear muffs in the future or, better still, do one. Ridiculous.

Keep plugging away and get involved as much as possible, with whatever you feel you can contribute. Talk to your son about it, even if you know he's too young to really get what's at stake. One day he will, and he'll appreciate more than anything, knowing that he and his old man played a part together in standing up and fighting for the club they love.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Get over it.
  • Options
    Maybe it's nicer playing in front of empty seats?
  • Options
    When I see the words 'not nice' I can't help but get an image of Frank Spencer
  • Options
    edited December 2015

When I see the words 'not nice' I can't help but get an image of Frank Spencer

Hmmm.......I think JBGs been and done dropped a whoopsy :blush:
  • Options

If the players feel that this is having a negatve effect on the team, then they should all go and see Meire to see if this matter can be resolved. She knows what she needs to do. If not, then the players may be understand why some of the fans are upset.

If they really think that the last two home games have been toxic, then i hate to think what they will feel if this matter is not resolved by the board.

• Options
    On balance I'm prepared to give JBG the benefit of the doubt.
    His English is so good you forget it's his second language and he can't be expected to appreciate every nuance or the implications of every particular choice of words.
    He may well be unsettled by the brooding dissatisfaction of the fans without necessarily being against their reasons.
  • Options
    On reflection he was on a hiding to nothing by being asked the question in the first place really.

Of the players these owners have brought in then he has been by far the best so I'm not willing to destroy him for his comments just yet
  • Options
    Provided the balance is right between protest and supporting the team then the players should just worry about their own performance.

As I have said previously I thought the support until Ipswich scored was good, the problem was when we went 3-0 down it got slightly more poisonous but that's partly to be expected.

I wasn't at the Sheff Wed game but it sounded a lot better but that's maybe cos we were winning..

Still not comfortable with digging out our best player in answering a question as honestly as he could..
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I don't see how a number of fans standing up for a minute, holding cards and singing a song can affect the players adversely.

I accept that booing could do but they should be lucky they are playing for us because elsewhere it would be far, far worse.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Booing is not attached to the protests, so is a separate debate entirely, it is a fact that most clubs have a section of fans that will boo when watching their team (again) humiliated at home by another average team.

I don't agree with it, will never likely boo myself as don't see the point but I don't begrudge any fan their right to do it.

Either side of the booing debate, it or any random chants during the match has nothing to do with the Black & White protest, so unfair on all those involved with a clever campaign for it to be linked.