Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Kent CCC 2016

Comments

• Options
    D B-D one of four nominated for the PCA Young Player of the Year along with Ben Duckett, Sam Curran and Haseeb Hameed.

Interestingly Duckett has also been nominated, along with Keaton Jennings, Graham Napier and Jeetan Patel, for the main award.

Have I mentioned that Duckett was born in Farnborough, Kent and if it wasn't for his family moving he might be playing for Kent now?

Our very own Tammy Beaumont along with Natalie Sciver and Lauren Winfield are the recipients of the Women's nominations.

• Options
    441 all out. Stevens made 136.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    have we missed the promotion boat, even if we win against Essex and what's the maximum points we could get from this match?

anyone know?
  • Options

have we missed the promotion boat, even if we win against Essex and what's the maximum points we could get from this match?

anyone know?

Yes, it's a dead rubber other than pride
  • Options

anyone know?

Only one get promoted this year but two come down - and we are too far behind Essex to catch them anyway even if we pick up the maximum 24 points.
  • Options
    Essex 68-2 at lunch, one each to Claydon and Stevens - of course!
  • Options
    close of play Essex 152 behind with 1 wicket left. If KENT can make them follow on could be interesting otherwise a cert draw
  • Options
    Billings, seems to have had a poor season.
    or is it only when I visit the scoreboard, that he's always out for a low score?
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    redman said:

close of play Essex 152 behind with 1 wicket left. If KENT can make them follow on could be interesting otherwise a cert draw

Kent 71-4 at lunch. A lead of 220 with a minimum of 68 overs remaining (in theory).

This will be a draw. Essex are promoted Kent are second so no real incentive left for either side to force the issue.
  • Options
    shame we couldn't get the wicket 1 run earlier and made them follow on.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2016
    Stevens gone for 18.

I really hope that is not his last innings for the Club.

110-5 lead 252
  • Options
    188-5 lead 337

Northeast 102* Gidman 40*

Can Gidman leave us with a three figure batting average?

Hope I've not posted him out!
  • Options
    211-5 at tea. Lead 360
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Match drawn.

Kent declared at 288-5.

Northeast 178* Gidman 63*

Sam averages 83.56 for the season (1,337 runs) and Gidman 120.66 in Kent matches (362 runs)!
  • Options
    From Cricinfo:

Kent's irritation at missing out on promotion went some way to explaining the defiance of their skipper Sam Northeast who, on the final day of the Specsavers Championship campaign, elected to notch his fifth first-class ton of the summer rather than conspiring in any sort of last-day contrivance with Division Two champions Essex.

The top two sides in the second tier finally shook hands on a draw at 4.20pm, by which time Kent had reached 288 for 5 declared for an overall lead in the match of 437.

Gordon Hollins, the ECB's chief operating officer, presented Essex with their trophy and winners' cheque soon after, leaving Kent contemplating another season in the lower ranks and to mull over the opening match of the 2016 campaign at New Road, where not a ball was bowled over the four days.

The outcome of the Worcestershire match and Kent's subsequent appeal still raises the blood pressure of supporters down in the Garden of England, and Northeast, as well as the county's chairman, George Kennedy, have been reluctant to let the matter drop.

Ahead of the final round, Kennedy said: "That Kent only received five points from that abandonment, when as the away team we were entirely blameless, still rankles with me. It can be argued it denied us the chance to play for 19 more points."

• Options
    Kent awards:

Bowler of the Year 2016: Matt Coles
    Fielder of the Year 2016: Alex Blake
    Batsman/Player of the Year 2016: Sam Northeast
  • Options

From Cricinfo:

Kent's irritation at missing out on promotion went some way to explaining the defiance of their skipper Sam Northeast who, on the final day of the Specsavers Championship campaign, elected to notch his fifth first-class ton of the summer rather than conspiring in any sort of last-day contrivance with Division Two champions Essex.

The top two sides in the second tier finally shook hands on a draw at 4.20pm, by which time Kent had reached 288 for 5 declared for an overall lead in the match of 437.

Gordon Hollins, the ECB's chief operating officer, presented Essex with their trophy and winners' cheque soon after, leaving Kent contemplating another season in the lower ranks and to mull over the opening match of the 2016 campaign at New Road, where not a ball was bowled over the four days.

The outcome of the Worcestershire match and Kent's subsequent appeal still raises the blood pressure of supporters down in the Garden of England, and Northeast, as well as the county's chairman, George Kennedy, have been reluctant to let the matter drop.

Ahead of the final round, Kennedy said: "That Kent only received five points from that abandonment, when as the away team we were entirely blameless, still rankles with me. It can be argued it denied us the chance to play for 19 more points."

What grounds were we appealing on?
  • Options
    It's a shame you guys didn't go up. I feel you would fare much better than Essex in the top division...

If that hadn't had cook for 4/5 games this season they may have struggled. On top of the fact they are losing masters and Napier I think they are a dead cert to come straight back down.

You guys may also have struggled (it's a bigger step up than you think). But I would have liked to see the likes of DBD, Northeast, Coles and Billings playing div 1 cricket. England/potential England players. Would have helped their chances.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

From Cricinfo:

What grounds were we appealing on?
    I haven't seen the basis for the appeal but my understanding is that the Umpires took the decision that the ground wasn't fit for play whereas Worcester didn't feel that this was the case.

All four days of this same fixture were abandoned in 2007 and at that time Worcester were ordered to replay their game against us. It was played at Kidderminster but Worcester don't use that ground now because the town isn't within the boundary of the county.

The other aspect is that this game was set to take place ridiculously early in the season (10-13 April) at a ground renowned not to be fit at that time of year due to habitual flooding. In fact, neither county had another match 'til 24 April (i.e. no fixture in the 2nd round of matches starting on 17 April) so we could have played the game then.

Ultimately we missed out on another potential 19 points but as we came 2nd by 23 points we couldn't make up that gap anyway. Unless, of course, we contrived a result in the final match but then Essex, given their position and the fact that a draw would have been good enough anyway, would never have agreed to that.
  • Options
    Thanks AA.

I'm not sure we have much to appeal about other than the scheduling but am sure all the counties could probably moan about that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Kent awards:

Bowler of the Year 2016: Matt Coles
    Fielder of the Year 2016: Alex Blake
    Batsman/Player of the Year 2016: Sam Northeast

Bowler of the year, even with his "absence"...
  • Options
    Not the first of those to leave the County I suspect:

Fast bowler David Griffiths has left Kent at the end of his contract.

Among the 31-year-old's best returns included 4/22 against Middlesex in the NatWest T20 Blast, 3/49 v New Zealand A in a 50-over match and a best of 6/63 in the County Championship.

The right-armer said: “The time has come for me to now leave Kent to seek a new opportunity.

“I have had a fantastic time over the last 3 years here at the club and would like to thank all the fans, coaches and players for their support.

“Kent has a fantastic team with some great characters and I wish them all the best for next season and I hope our paths cross again in the future.”

Kent Cricket Academy graduate Sam Weller has also left the club.

The 21-year-old has made six first-class appearances for Oxford MCCU but did not play for Kent's first XI in his two years as a professional at the club.

Everyone at Kent Cricket thanks David and Sam for their service and wishes them all the best for the future.
  • Options
    According to The Times there is an outside possibility that the ECB will impose a points deduction on Durham as a result of the County being unable to complete the season without the ECB "lending" financial support.

The knock on effect is that it might result in Durham's relegation with the ECB having to then decide whether to reinstate Hants or promote Kent.

Don't know why I bothered to type the above - we all know we never benefit when things like this happen!
  • Options

According to The Times there is an outside possibility that the ECB will impose a points deduction on Durham as a result of the County being unable to complete the season without the ECB "lending" financial support.

The knock on effect is that it might result in Durham's relegation with the ECB having to then decide whether to reinstate Hants or promote Kent.

Don't know why I bothered to type the above - we all know we never benefit when things like this happen!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/37487298

It's the hope that kills you!

I'm not sure I want Durham penalised like this, as a lot of their issues were caused by the amounts of money counties have to pay to hold Internationals. Durham have also produced lots of top England players, which is more than can be said for someone like Hampshire.
  • Options
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/37541136

Durham relegated and Kent....stay in Div 2

Hampshire stay in Div 1...
  • Options

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/37541136

Durham relegated and Kent....stay in Div 2

Hampshire stay in Div 1...

Absolutely gutted - three teams are "relegated" at one point or other and we still don't get promoted for finishing runner up in Div 2!

At least Durham, with a 48 point deduction, won't get promoted next season.
  • Options
    Hampshire are rewarded for a very poor season. Kent are kicked in the teeth for giving it their best shot and being denied promotion by the fact that, for this season only, just one team got promoted from Div 2 instead of the usual two. Kent were also denied an appeal for respite by the ECB for their opening game at Worcester in April when it wasn't possible to bowl a single ball in 4 days. Worcester's ground floods every winter, yet the fixture list had them playing at home in April. I can understand the ECB refusing Kent's appeal on the Worcester situation alone, but taken together with Durham's relegation it is ridiculous not to take the opportunity to promote Kent rather than reward Hampshire's poor season.

Can anybody name a single sport where the people who run it from on high do a decent job.....

..... me neither.
  • Options
    To be fair to Hampshire, they can claim they were actually disadvantaged through the season due to Durhams support from the ECB. Without that artificial support, Durham would have finished below Hampshire.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

To be fair to Hampshire, they can claim they were actually disadvantaged through the season due to Durhams support from the ECB. Without that artificial support, Durham would have finished below Hampshire.

As much as it at the expense of Kent it probably is the right decision. The other way round we'd be arguing that Durham had an unfair advantage.
  • Options
    Now if it had been Surrey in our position.......

:smile: