Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Kent CCC 2016

Comments

• Options
    Leaving message from Jimmy Adams:

kentcricket.co.uk/news/a-message-jimmy-adams
  • Options
    Nice parting words.
  • Options
    What was/is the general opinion re Adams?
  • Options
    AshBurton said:

Leuth said:

that damn Porter kid who'll definitely be replaced by new signings in Div 1, despite the fact he's 23 and the rest of the Essex bowling attack, Bopara aside, is 36 or older :P

In addition to Napier, David Masters has now announced his retirement.
    Damn, David Masters was the last remaining county cricketer I actually played against. That was back in 1998 so he must have been 20 then. On that occasion he was removed from the attack fairly early on after going for 17 in one over (of which I contributed a typically understated proportion), only to be replaced by his dad Kevin, a very canny bowler who promptly yorked me and then ran through the rest of our batting in short order.

This was actually my last innings in league cricket before a 17 year exile living in countries not renowned for their love of this sport. My next match in 2015 featured @Leuth in the opposing ranks, so fairly equivalent I guess ;-)
    Kevin still plays, and has captained Upchurch for the last two years.
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:

AshBurton said:

Leuth said:

that damn Porter kid who'll definitely be replaced by new signings in Div 1, despite the fact he's 23 and the rest of the Essex bowling attack, Bopara aside, is 36 or older :P

In addition to Napier, David Masters has now announced his retirement.
    Damn, David Masters was the last remaining county cricketer I actually played against. That was back in 1998 so he must have been 20 then. On that occasion he was removed from the attack fairly early on after going for 17 in one over (of which I contributed a typically understated proportion), only to be replaced by his dad Kevin, a very canny bowler who promptly yorked me and then ran through the rest of our batting in short order.

This was actually my last innings in league cricket before a 17 year exile living in countries not renowned for their love of this sport. My next match in 2015 featured @Leuth in the opposing ranks, so fairly equivalent I guess ;-)
    Kevin still plays, and has captained Upchurch for the last two years.
    Whereas David (when he wasn't playing for Essex) and his other son, Daniel, play for Lordswood. Kevin, back in the late 70s/early 80s also used to play for a rather decent Sunday side called the Fledglings.
  • Options
    This would be great news.

Hope he maintains his average ....
  • Options
    Min said that he wouldn't be the new coach. He did mention though he might be job sharing it......
  • Options
    supaclive said:

Min said that he wouldn't be the new coach. He did mention though he might be job sharing it......

........with Matt Walker?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    iamdan said:

Excellent news - still say that if we can get Gidman too it will give us even more balance. Also hope that the rumours that Billings has asked to be released from the final year of his contract aren't true - although he will inevitably have England call ups anyway.

Strongest side would then look something like this:

Dickson
    D B-D
    Denly
    Northeast
    Billings
    Stevens
    Gidman
    Coles
    Tredwell/Riley
    A bloody quick overseas bowler of some description
    Claydon

Fantastic news about Gidman. Now just need to sign that quickie and we should take all the beating in the CC.
  • Options
    Will be good to see you guys do well. I was disappointed that after the Durham relegation you guys weren't promoted. Certainly deserved to be there more than Hampshire.

But I think the ECB wants to keep those with test match grounds in div 1 as much as possible and also they may have something against you lot as you joined Surrey in voting against the new T20 wankfest.
  • Options

iamdan said:

Excellent news - still say that if we can get Gidman too it will give us even more balance. Also hope that the rumours that Billings has asked to be released from the final year of his contract aren't true - although he will inevitably have England call ups anyway.

Dickson
    D B-D
    Denly
    Northeast
    Billings
    Stevens
    Gidman
    Coles
    Tredwell/Riley
    Claydon

Fantastic news about Gidman. Now just need to sign that quickie and we should take all the beating in the CC.
    And an opener and spinner.
  • Options
    CHGCHG
    edited October 2016
    Good news about Gidman.
  • Options
    kentred2 said:

iamdan said:

Dickson
    D B-D
    Denly
    Northeast
    Billings
    Stevens
    Gidman
    Coles
    Tredwell/Riley
    Claydon

And an opener and spinner.
    Assuming that you wouldn't leave DBD out, that's probably a bit harsh on Dickson - he averaged just under 40 in the CC in what was his first season.

As for a spinner I'm hoping that Adam Riley gets over his injuries and finds the form of 2014. Having said that, most of our wins in recent seasons have been as a result of our batting/seam attack as we don't tend to prepare to many "bunsen burners".
  • Options
    Great news on the Gidman signing!

Any developments on Billings wanting to leave?
  • Options
    Charlie Hartley has now signed a new contract too.

Wonder who is making these decisions. After all, we aren't meant to be confirming the new coach 'til the New Year but I suppose it's different to football where the manager mostly gets to sign the players he wants.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Will be good to see you guys do well. I was disappointed that after the Durham relegation you guys weren't promoted. Certainly deserved to be there more than Hampshire.

But I think the ECB wants to keep those with test match grounds in div 1 as much as possible and also they may have something against you lot as you joined Surrey in voting against the new T20 wankfest.

Come on guys I was nice on this thread and all I get is 2 likes. I preferred it when you were all telling me to f off.
    It was "piss off", actually.

We're not scummy Slurrey!
  • Options

Come on guys I was nice on this thread and all I get is 2 likes. I preferred it when you were all telling me to f off.
    It was "piss off", actually.

We're not scummy Slurrey!
    Hahaha you are correct. Many apologies...
  • Options
    I see Sussex have appointed Rob Andrew as CEO. As well as his well known affiliation with rugby, Andrew is also a Cambridge Blue at cricket - he even got Athers out once!

Wouldn't have thought that Andrew would be cheap and I wasn't under the impressions that Sussex were cash rich but I was obviously wrong on that count.
  • Options
    2017 T20 blast fixtures to be announced at 6pm. The full list to be announced at midnight.
    We haven't even had our turkey yet!
  • Options
    pettgra said:

2017 T20 blast fixtures to be announced at 6pm. The full list to be announced at midnight.

It also makes the assumption that we aren't going to be playing in the CC Div 1 next season ;-(
  • Options

pettgra said:

It also makes the assumption that we aren't going to be playing in the CC Div 1 next season ;-(
    I had not thought of that to be honest.
  • Options
    pettgra said:

I think they are usually announced on the last of November. They were a week late last year due a cock up of some sort apparently.
  • Options

pettgra said:

I think they are usually announced on the last of November. They were a week late last year due a cock up of some sort apparently.
    Ah ok. Plenty of time to plan the picnic. The only time that I am allowed to have everything that is bad for me in one bag.
  • Options

Not the first of those to leave the County I suspect:

Fast bowler David Griffiths has left Kent at the end of his contract.

Among the 31-year-old's best returns included 4/22 against Middlesex in the NatWest T20 Blast, 3/49 v New Zealand A in a 50-over match and a best of 6/63 in the County Championship.

The right-armer said: “The time has come for me to now leave Kent to seek a new opportunity.

“I have had a fantastic time over the last 3 years here at the club and would like to thank all the fans, coaches and players for their support.

“Kent has a fantastic team with some great characters and I wish them all the best for next season and I hope our paths cross again in the future.”

Kent Cricket Academy graduate Sam Weller has also left the club.

The 21-year-old has made six first-class appearances for Oxford MCCU but did not play for Kent's first XI in his two years as a professional at the club.

Everyone at Kent Cricket thanks David and Sam for their service and wishes them all the best for the future.

Sam Weller is my nephew and hopefully Kent's loss will be another county's gain next year. Sam is off to play in Australia for the winter.
    Hope it works out for Sam. I see he played for Somerset U14s & U15s, presumably because he went to Millfield School. Are they a possibility?
    He started at Somerset's Academy when he was at Millfield and later transferred into the Kent Academy. When he went to University he captained Oxford MCCU. They played a final at Lords which they won.

He played several matches for the Kent second team this summer after leaving University.

Sam hopes to play first class cricket somewhere in this country next year but is looking forward to 6 months in Australia over the winter months.
    Sam won the Kent Premier League 1st XI bowling award for the 2015 season. Shame that Kent didn't extend his contract. He is enjoying playing and coaching in Australia for the winter.