Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Kent CCC 2016

Comments

• Options

Not the first of those to leave the County I suspect:

Fast bowler David Griffiths has left Kent at the end of his contract.

Among the 31-year-old's best returns included 4/22 against Middlesex in the NatWest T20 Blast, 3/49 v New Zealand A in a 50-over match and a best of 6/63 in the County Championship.

The right-armer said: “The time has come for me to now leave Kent to seek a new opportunity.

“I have had a fantastic time over the last 3 years here at the club and would like to thank all the fans, coaches and players for their support.

“Kent has a fantastic team with some great characters and I wish them all the best for next season and I hope our paths cross again in the future.”

Kent Cricket Academy graduate Sam Weller has also left the club.

The 21-year-old has made six first-class appearances for Oxford MCCU but did not play for Kent's first XI in his two years as a professional at the club.

Everyone at Kent Cricket thanks David and Sam for their service and wishes them all the best for the future.

Sam Weller is my nephew and hopefully Kent's loss will be another county's gain next year. Sam is off to play in Australia for the winter.
  • Options

Among the 31-year-old's best returns included 4/22 against Middlesex in the NatWest T20 Blast, 3/49 v New Zealand A in a 50-over match and a best of 6/63 in the County Championship.

The right-armer said: “The time has come for me to now leave Kent to seek a new opportunity.

“I have had a fantastic time over the last 3 years here at the club and would like to thank all the fans, coaches and players for their support.

“Kent has a fantastic team with some great characters and I wish them all the best for next season and I hope our paths cross again in the future.”

The 21-year-old has made six first-class appearances for Oxford MCCU but did not play for Kent's first XI in his two years as a professional at the club.

Everyone at Kent Cricket thanks David and Sam for their service and wishes them all the best for the future.

Sam Weller is my nephew and hopefully Kent's loss will be another county's gain next year. Sam is off to play in Australia for the winter.
    Hope it works out for Sam. I see he played for Somerset U14s & U15s, presumably because he went to Millfield School. Are they a possibility?
  • Options
    edited October 2016

Hope it works out for Sam. I see he played for Somerset U14s & U15s, presumably because he went to Millfield School. Are they a possibility?
    He started at Somerset's Academy when he was at Millfield and later transferred into the Kent Academy. When he went to University he captained Oxford MCCU. They played a final at Lords which they won.

He played several matches for the Kent second team this summer after leaving University.

Sam hopes to play first class cricket somewhere in this country next year but is looking forward to 6 months in Australia over the winter months.
  • Options
    Is it back to 2 up next season? Kent must be in for a shout.
  • Options
    Stewart said:

Is it back to 2 up next season? Kent must be in for a shout.

Yes.
  • Options

He started at Somerset's Academy when he was at Millfield and later transferred into the Kent Academy. When he went to University he captained Oxford MCCU. They played a final at Lords which they won.

He played several matches for the Kent second team this summer after leaving University.

Sam hopes to play first class cricket somewhere in this country next year but is looking forward to 6 months in Australia over the winter months.
    Good luck to him ME14

Just because one door has closed others can open. As you may know, My nephew had 3 years as an MCC Young cricketer and didn't get a contract. Was working in recruitment and playing for Wanstead when answered an SOS to drive down to Bristol to play for Essex 2nd XI ( day after his 21st birthday party). He played a few games due to injuries and then got called up to first team (non contract basis) and made his debut and got a certain Mr Stevens of Kent out with his fifth ball. Has now got over 100 wickets in two and half seasons for Essex.

Keep going at it Sam.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Good luck to him ME14

Just because one door has closed others can open. As you may know, My nephew had 3 years as an MCC Young cricketer and didn't get a contract. Was working in recruitment and playing for Wanstead when answered an SOS to drive down to Bristol to play for Essex 2nd XI ( day after his 21st birthday party). He played a few games due to injuries and then got called up to first team (non contract basis) and made his debut and got a certain Mr Stevens of Kent out with his fifth ball. Has now got over 100 wickets in two and half seasons for Essex.

Keep going at it Sam.
    I didn't know that story mate - great stuff!
  • Options
    My brother's mates with Ivan Thomas, hoping he's not next out after all his injuries
  • Options
    Kent are to take legal advice as they seek to appeal the decision to readmit Hampshire to Division One of the County Championship in place of Durham.

Kent, who finished second in Division Two of the County Championship, were under the impression that they would be considered for the position after Durham forfeited their place as part of a financial rescue package agreed with the ECB.

They were especially disappointed to discover the news via Twitter rather than receive a call from anyone at the ECB.

"We will consult our lawyers," Kent chairman, George Kennedy, told ESPNcricinfo. "We need to find out how we can appeal against a decision we consider unfair.

"We are very upset. We expected we would be given an opportunity to present our case to the ECB. It seems to be an arbitrary decision and the ECB are hiding behind regulations that nobody appears to have seen."

While the ECB claim the decision was taken "in accordance with competition regulations", it is not immediately clear what those regulations are. Indeed, in Section 4, paragraph 4.2 of the ECB's regulations for the 2016 County Championship season, it states: "Promotion and relegation arrangements will be separately confirmed."

With the shape of the domestic season changing, it was only agreed in March that one team would be promoted from Division Two. Kent are insistent that the ECB has not so much followed protocol as made a deliberate choice to favour Hampshire.

It is understood the decision to readmit Hampshire was taken at an ECB board meeting at which county representatives and the new MCC representative, Matthew Fleming (a former Kent player) were barred from voting.

"It is the second time this year a decision has gone against Kent," Kennedy continued. "The previous one concerned an abandoned match at New Road for which we were given just five points despite it being clear that the ground was unfit for play the day before the game.

"The fact that there is no right to appeal makes the ECB like the Star Chamber.

"I am also considering my own position in the game. Unless you have confidence in the governing body, there seems little point and I have almost completely lost confidence in the ECB."

An ECB spokesman told ESPNcricinfo: "Today's decision to reinstate Hampshire was in line with the two-down, one-up relegation and promotion rules for this season's County Championship which were notified to all counties and published prior to start of th
    e 2016 season."
  • Options
    There's an interesting table in The Times that shows the number of Test players produced by each county since England won The Ashes in 2005 i.e. they were at the county at the time they made their debut.

As one would expect Yorkshire have the most with seven. Durham, despite their financial issues have produced five and Kent two (Tredwell and Khan - I forgot that he played his one and only Test whilst with us).

Anyone care to guess which three counties have failed to produce a single Test player in that time?

Well they are Derbyshire, Glamorgan and wait for it..........................Surrey. Yes Surrey with all their money and "fantastic" youngsters coming through have not had a single Test player in over a decade. Ansari will break that run but, even so, it just goes to show that money doesn't necessarily buy you England Internationals - or success for that matter.

But it does buy you Sanga, KP, Bravo, Mahmood, Finch, Morris, Sam Curran, Tom Curran, Rampaul, Pillans, Footitt, Henriques, Foakes, Elgar and Riaz - that's 15 "imported" players, off the top of my head, who have played for them in the last two seasons alone!

And it doesn't guarantee trophies either.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    LenGlover said:

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stevo signed up for another year!

So he can torment Surrey again for another year!
  • Options
    Excellent news - still say that if we can get Gidman too it will give us even more balance. Also hope that the rumours that Billings has asked to be released from the final year of his contract aren't true - although he will inevitably have England call ups anyway.

Strongest side would then look something like this:

Dickson
    D B-D
    Denly
    Northeast
    Billings
    Stevens
    Gidman
    Coles
    Tredwell/Riley
    A bloody quick overseas bowler of some description
    Claydon
  • Options
    Great news.

Didn't want to post before any kind of announcement, but after last game of season my nephew was speaking to Stevens (few beers had been sunk) and he said he was definitely off.

Would have been the end of Scoop OneLungs career !!
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Fantastic news!

Now all we need is for the promotion ruling to be overturned and we're laughing!
  • Options
    Glad to hear Stevo is staying another year. Are they actually going for Gidman? He would be an excellent signing.
  • Options
    Great that Stevo is staying.

As for Billings, he's managed to get into the England T20 and ODI teams with Kent, so why leave?
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Stevens seems to have been around forever !

So, Billings only has one year left on his contract eh !..... i'll just ring Alec Stewart and let him know, then again, i'm not sure he's good enough to get in our side - athough with City Cricket coming up in 2018? we might need a few reserves- and The Oval is closer to Fawkham than Canterbury.
  • Options
    I heard Stevo was offered a 2 year deal by Sussex, so great news we've got him.

Billings has asked to be released from his contract, not sure what could happen.

Gidman won't be signing, wife doesn't fancy shifting down from up north.
  • Options
    After 5 years Jimmy Adams is leaving. Coaching Seb (along with Matt Walker, Adam Riley and Min Patel) on Saturday clearly wasn't enough to convince him to stay!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    CHGCHG
    edited October 2016
    That is a blow, I thought we were starting to show a bit of direction, any news on his replacement?

Thanks for those 5 years Jimmy.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    CHG said:

That is a blow, I thought we were starting to show a bit of direction, any news on his replacement?

Thanks for those 5 years Jimmy.

Not as yet. From a purely selfish perspective I hope it's his assistant, Matt Walker or Min Patel (was head of the academy and 2nd X1 last season).
  • Options
    Matt Walker will be a popular choice.
  • Options
    No idea how true, heard Simon Jones? Ex England..
  • Options
    iamdan said:

No idea how true, heard Simon Jones? Ex England..

No idea how good he is as a coach, but if he still looks like he used to it might shame Coles into losing a few pounds of timber...
  • Options

Stevens seems to have been around forever !

So, Billings only has one year left on his contract eh !..... i'll just ring Alec Stewart and let him know, then again, i'm not sure he's good enough to get in our side - athough with City Cricket coming up in 2018? we might need a few reserves- and The Oval is closer to Fawkham than Canterbury.

Yeah.. Davies has left now and Wilson so we only have 4 keepers. Could do with at least 1 more..
  • Options
    So, what's the deal with Billings? A little of bit of IPL and he thinks he's Charlie Big Potatoes? Tapped up after a spell with England?
  • Options
    I'll ask Min tomorrow. Playing golf with him.
  • Options
    supaclive said:

I'll ask Min tomorrow. Playing golf with him.

Nice one. Min does tend to play a hell of a lot of golf - and not just in this country! He knows Seb very well having coached him for the last four years.