Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Exclusive: Karel Fraeye responds to Charlton Athletic recruitment rumours - SLP

12346»

Comments

• Options

Reasonable interview, but we really need a more Paxman approach.

There is still no clarity on who is doing the recruitment.

Roland is doing the recruitment through his mind palace
  • Options

seth plum said:

Not exactly random, we were in the directors lounge after the 0-2 loss to Birmingham City.

Can back Seth up on this one.

And so can seriously red but, you know, i don't want to encourage him :-)

Both SHG and SR were briefing the rest of the Trust at the time on KF and the other bloke. SR was terribly impressed with him.

But to be fair this only proves that they were involved in assessing our existing squad. I think KF described himself to SR as an analyst, or maybe SR simply gave him that title.

• Options
    dizzee said:

They're all superstars just waiting to settle into English football.

Once they do we'll sell them on and be proud they played well for charlton once, when they are the premiership stars of the future " isn't that right KM?
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Clown

I guess it's funnier from where you're standing
    'Cause from over here I miss the joke
    Clear the way for my crash landing
    I've done it again
    Another number for your notes

I'd be smiling if I wasn't so desperate
    I'd be patient if I had the time
    I could stop and answer all of your questions
    As soon as I find out
    How I can move from the back of a lie

I'll be your clown
    Behind the glass
    Go 'head and laugh
    'Cause it's funny
    I would too if I saw me
    I'll be your clown
    On your favorite channel
    My life's a circus, circus
    Round in circus
    I'm selling out tonight

I'd be less angry if it was my decision
    And the money was just rolling in
    If I had more than my ambition
    I'll have time for please
    I'll have time for thank you
    As soon as I win

I'll be your clown
    Behind the glass
    Go 'head and laugh
    'Cause it's funny
    I would too if I saw me
    I'll be your clown
    On your favorite channel
    Round in circus
    I'm selling out tonight

From a distance my choice is simple
    From a distance I can entertain
    So you can see me
    I put makeup on my face
    But there's no way you can feel it
    From so far away

I'll be your clown
    Behind the glass
    Go 'head and laugh
    'Cause it's funny
    I would too if I saw me
    I'll be your clown
    On your favorite channel
    Round in circles
    I'm selling out tonight

Actually fits pretty well without altering.
  • Options
    edited January 2016

seth plum said:

Not exactly random, we were in the directors lounge after the 0-2 loss to Birmingham City.

Can back Seth up on this one.

And so can seriously red but, you know, i don't want to encourage him :-)

Both SHG and SR were briefing the rest of the Trust at the time on KF and the other bloke. SR was terribly impressed with him.

But to be fair this only proves that they were involved in assessing our existing squad. I think KF described himself to SR as an analyst, or maybe SR simply gave him that title.

I was impressed with him too. Seemed very knowledgable, likeable and genial. What he said to me was along the lines of " I watch a lot of players. I know a lot of players"

Doesn't prove that he was actively scouting for us in particular but that was the kind of impression I got from him. I'm not sure why someone painting themselves as a player analyst would be so consistently involved with us and watching all our games if he wasn't reporting on players to the club.

The only other conclusion I could draw would be that he was acting as "Roland's man" giving analysis of our performances.

Other than that I cannot further the discussion.

• Options
    edited January 2016
    cafc999 said:

Remember he also told owenwiththehat and myself that he was going to come back and be our manager when he was Riga's assistant.

My own personal views are that KF is a real driving force with RD and that RD trusts him 100%

Unfortunately for us, IMHO, KF is no more than an academy coach at best

As Prague has just suggested I think this analysis is very near the money.

I find it very odd that having a strategy of acquiring potential rather than proven players does not also include having a very talented experienced manager who can get the best out of this "potential" pool of players. Even at significant cost.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Unfortunately I fear you are right. It seems that RD trusts few people but when he does he gives them far more rope than they can handle. He claims to want to cut back on agents and their earnings, yet puts huge faith in one Israeli agent, Dudu Duhan. It's unwise to put faith in any one agent because these people put themselves first, every time.

I wonder how much Dudu Duhan has made out of Charlton in the past two years.
  • Options

cafc999 said:

Remember he also told owenwiththehat and myself that he was going to come back and be our manager when he was Riga's assistant.

My own personal views are that KF is a real driving force with RD and that RD trusts him 100%

Unfortunately for us, IMHO, KF is no more than an academy coach at best

As Prague has just suggested I think this analysis is very near the money.

I find it very odd that having a strategy of acquiring potential rather than proven players does not also include having a very talented experienced manager who can get the best out of this "potential" pool of players. Even at significant cost.

Because said manager would expect a least a large degree of control over which players come and and which are played.

That can't be allowed in the Roland model so younger, less experienced coaches who RD thinks will be malleable (Fraeye, Peeters) are hired or coaches are quickly moved on (Powell, Peeters again, Riga) when they "rebel" against the model. Failure to produce results is down to the coaches (Luzon, Peeters, Powell) never the model.

The model HAS to be made work because Roland is trying to prove that there is a different and better way to run a football club and make money from it.

He ISN'T trying to make Charlton successful per see or certainly not in the way that most fans would perceive it. Any playing success for Charlton will be a by-product of proving that the "buy and sell plus matchday experience" model works. Playing success is almost incidental to Roland as he said when he took over. "winning isn't important". The model and the break even is what matters.

Hence the pattern is repeated every summer (new, young, inexperienced players and often coach) and the slightly awkward "we realised we've underestimated the championship" readjustment made every winter (older, experienced, UK based players and often a new coach).

IMHO
    Nail on head.