Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Louis Mendez "asked" to stop doing Charlton commentaries

Comments

• Options

I had my moles confused with my badgers !

Sounds serious, is it painful?
  • Options
    Interesting. Will the club also doctor the microphones so any sounds of anti-board chants are replaced by the sounds of raucous cheering? And will the replacement commentator be allowed to refer to dissent, protests, pitch invasions, players giving up? Might be worth listening ... and pity for the poor bugger they get to step into another mess of Meire's own making.

I wonder if this is the first move by the new Head of Communications?
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Nicholas said:

Is this why there was no Charlton commentary against Hull?

Perhaps Meire had learned from North Korea's approach at the 2010 World Cup?

"No country puts a positive spin on the news better than North Korea, habitually using censorship to hide problems in the nation and boost “Supreme Leader” Kim Jong Il‘s public image. So the fact that no major North Korean news outlet has reported on their team’s devastating 7-0 World Cup loss to Portugal is nothing out of the ordinary. The New Yorker reported yesterday that the North Korean press had ignored the loss completely, and examining the list of the most recent headlines in the country, it seems like they’re planning on forgetting about it altogether. So when the people of North Korea tuned in to watch their glorious soccer warriors defeat Portugal, they witnessed slaughter instead. The commentators went silent in the second half, and coverage was cut immediately after the game ended."
  • Options
    PeteF said:

Does this mean Louis no longer has to hold back on the podcast?

Charlton Live could be such a strong voice against the regime, perhaps Louis no longer has to pretend to be balanced??

We all know RD & KM are know-nothing bob-ends.

Charlton Live is broadcast from the Valley, but what Louis has done very well on Charlton Live is simply read out the listeners tweets and emails, probably uncomfortable listening for the powers that be.
    Thanks, Pete.

BTW, when is your expose on the regime being published ?

:smiley:

• Options
  • Options
    Hope that this does not affect the Charlton live show as I have participated in that over the past few weeks, and found that Louis has broadcast every one of my emails,
    ( 7 on one occassion) and the other two commentators have given both honest and forthright opinions. I do not, and never have had Charlton player, and listen to Red Midland and the great coverage that he and others do to provide that service. Must be very difficult to comment on events over the past few months, I have never met Louis in person but it is pretty obvious that he is a fan like Finchy, and Terry, who I have met. If CAFC does not want a critical friend, and just a pr bullshit job, then do not be surprised if 'fans' are not interested.
    I wonder what David Robey at the BBC thinks of this the station director at BBC London, when I am there on Tuesday I will see if I can have a 'quiet word'.....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

PeteF said:

Charlton Live could be such a strong voice against the regime, perhaps Louis no longer has to pretend to be balanced??

Charlton Live is broadcast from the Valley, but what Louis has done very well on Charlton Live is simply read out the listeners tweets and emails, probably uncomfortable listening for the powers that be.
    Thanks, Pete.

BTW, when is your expose on the regime being published ?

:smiley:

He he, keep your eyes open, may be something out there somehewre soon! To be fair I was not involved in any meetings at the club, so it would only be what I have seen and heard, not that interesting...
  • Options

asked by who?

KM no doubt
  • Options

How do I apply to do the commentary?

Send in a fawning email to the CEO, stressing how much you admire her, how you see Roland as Europe's Donald Trump, and how much you and your family have enjoyed holidays in Belgium.
  • Options
    Louis Mendez ‏@LouisMend 1h1 hour ago
    I'm still going to be at games for the SLP/BBC and I understand how there is a conflict of interest if I also commentate for the club #cafc

He don't seem that bothered
  • Options

PL54 said:

I'm still going to be at games for the SLP/BBC and I understand how there is a conflict of interest if I also commentate for the club #cafc

Brang...
    I was being 'street' treacle
  • Options
    PeteF said:

All they need is a mic. You don't have to be at The Valley for that. Go rogue. Take the recording elsewhere now.

I listen to the podcast and appreciate what Louis does but you know he's always holding back. It'd be nice to hear him unchained for a while.
  • Options
    PL54 said:

PL54 said:

Brang...
    Oooh, nasty!!!!!

I know a clinic that can clear that up for you......
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good to see Katrien keeps knocking in those own goals - are you noticing RD?
  • Options

LouisMend said:

Thanks for the messages people.

As per the tweets quoted about by @ForeverAddickted, I do understand the decision and to be honest it might not be as big a deal as is being made out (not the worst thing that's happened!)

I've been lucky enough to find myself being asked to cover games for various people over the last couple of years - The South London Press, The News Shopper, BBC London and the club itself through commentary on CAFC Player. And of course we have the Charlton Live show that we record from a studio at The Valley (in a Community Trust leased room) which is seperate from the club.

Writing wise - I have to say it how I see it or I'm being unfair to Rich and Toby at the SLP because if I hold back I'm not reporting honestly for them. I also wouldn't be fit to lace Kevin Nolan's notepad (never will be anyway of course because he is and always will be the pinnacle of Charlton writing) and its him who I cover for when he can't get to a match

When doing this, the facts are that I won't always be painting the club in the best light because it isn't always perfect. I wrote positively too when I see fit.

The message that as a club Charlton want to have portrayed about things in SE7 therefore is not always what I'm writing about.

And therefore it makes perfect sense that they'd rather I didn't represent the club via the means of the comms.

Am I disappointed ? Yes, I loved doing it because it commentating on Charlton, an absolute dream job.

Am I surprised? Not at all, it's been in the pipeline for a while but I didn't want to hold back in the paper when I needed to say something.

Do I understand why it's happened - Yes. Fully. No real complaints from me.

Think there's been a bit of an overreaction to be honest. But I did make a comment about me not doing it anymore at the end of last night's podcast that had people asking me why so I clarified on Twitter. Let's move on!

Glad you are pragmatic about it Louis, but given everything else that has gone on, once again it comes across as another PR own goal at the club...
    exactly
  • Options
    Louis told me & Tom yesterday before we recorded the podcast, and if I'm brutally honest, it's the clubs loss and not Louis'.

He still writes great pieces for the SLP, and it is just a case of the board feeling uncomfortable with people disagreeing with their failed idea/experiment.

Onwards and upwards Louis
  • Options

PL54 said:

PL54 said:

Brang...
    Oooh, nasty!!!!!

I know a clinic that can clear that up for you......
    You can handily combine a trip there with buying a ticket and taking in some delightful football too apparently..
  • Options
    edited January 2016

Are commentators paid by the club?

For home games yes, not for away games.
    They'd sort out a lift to away games.
    Hence I often did BBC for away games who sort transport and a fee.
  • Options
    LouisMend said:

Are commentators paid by the club?

For home games yes, not for away games.

Hence I often did BBC for away games
    It's all about the budget
  • Options
    Absolutely outrageous, I'm a big fan of Charlton Live and Louis has done a great job at giving the fans their say whilst trying to remain impartial, in fact there are instances where he's played devils advocate just to give a differing perspective even if it isn't a view he necessarily agrees with, that's what good journalists.

If this impacts Louis to the extent that he isn't allowed to use the Valley to record Charlton Live could this be something the fighting fund could help out with ?