Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Louis Mendez "asked" to stop doing Charlton commentaries

12346»

Comments

• Options

Can we assume Pete F is being re-signed on a lucrative four and a half year deal that will secure his career til his mid-thirties sixties ?

Fixed it for you!!

Harsh on the age front.... would not want to work for this rabble anyway...
  • Options

I know people's opinions of the club have sunk so low that the club could announce the signings of Messi, Ronaldo and Lewandowski and Roland could give every season ticket holder £100,000 each and it'd still be greeted with mass derision on here, but I have to say this seems a perfectly understandable decision by the club, and Louis seems to agree.

I'll miss Louis' commentary as he's pretty good at it and if it means we have to put up with more away games where only the home team's commentators are available it'll definitely be to the detriment of the CAFCPlayer service, but it's very difficult to do work for an organisation while very publicly criticising it.

I don't suppose someone working on advertising for McDonald's would last long in the job if he started up a blog slating how McDonald's was run and saying all their burgers were crap. Can't have your cake and eat it on these things, unfortunately.

We have lots of sticks to beat the club with at the moment, don't personally see the controversy on this one. If Louis is replaced by a commentator from Belgium who doesn't mention when the opposition scores, like some kind of North Korean minister for information, then we'll have something to complain about.

I refer the honourable member to the answer I gave some moments ago...

(Which was - more or less - yes understandable, but still a PR cock up in the light of events surrounding it).
  • Options

I know people's opinions of the club have sunk so low that the club could announce the signings of Messi, Ronaldo and Lewandowski and Roland could give every season ticket holder £100,000 each and it'd still be greeted with mass derision on here, but I have to say this seems a perfectly understandable decision by the club, and Louis seems to agree.

I'll miss Louis' commentary as he's pretty good at it and if it means we have to put up with more away games where only the home team's commentators are available it'll definitely be to the detriment of the CAFCPlayer service, but it's very difficult to do work for an organisation while very publicly criticising it.

I don't suppose someone working on advertising for McDonald's would last long in the job if he started up a blog slating how McDonald's was run and saying all their burgers were crap. Can't have your cake and eat it on these things, unfortunately.

We have lots of sticks to beat the club with at the moment, don't personally see the controversy on this one. If Louis is replaced by a commentator from Belgium who doesn't mention when the opposition scores, like some kind of North Korean minister for information, then we'll have something to complain about.

(Which was - more or less - yes understandable, but still a PR cock up in the light of events surrounding it).
    I think few people outside our own supporters would see this as a PR cock-up. However, if they start banning journalists from the ground for their reports, as other clubs have done, then they will have a PR problem in the wider world.
  • Options

I think few people outside our own supporters would see this as a PR cock-up. However, if they start banning journalists from the ground for their reports, as other clubs have done, then they will have a PR problem in the wider world.
    Yes - you are probably right AA.
  • Options

Yes - you are probably right AA.
    Thank you, AA.
  • Options
    If there is a conflict of interest here, it always existed. The point isn't that Louis used the commentaries to criticise the club, but that the club seems to have tried to use the fact he did commentaries to influence the work he did for others. Only when that didn't work was he asked to stop doing commentaries. It was the club trying to interfere with a free press (in this case a free Press), not vice versa.

In fact, it's very common for local reporters do jobs for clubs, especially in the past combining programme editor and newspaper sports editor (at Charlton, Harold Deacon, Peter Burrowes) or Clubcall and local radio (Mark Mansfield). In all these cases the person was paid by both the club and the third party at the same time. There will be hundreds of examples up and down the country.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    This is incredibly poor. The match commentary is a bit biased - but solely in favour of the team. What views the commentators hold, do not come out in the commentary and you have to ask whether this is communist Russia. Evicting the supporter yesterday who revealed a protest banner was equally poor. It wasn't offensive and this will not make it better for the owners/administrators. Are they that stupid? Silly question really.

Roland - sack Meire, Get a new CEO in and publicly explain that you are adjusting the small aspect of the plan around recruitment to giving the manager more control on signings. Confirm Riga is his own man and not part of the network. Acknowledge the fans and the part they have to play in success of the club and it can still be turned round. Are you really that stupid? Silly question again?