Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Louis Mendez "asked" to stop doing Charlton commentaries

Comments

• Options
    Surely this means you don't have to worry about any criticism you may level at the club via the SLP and/or BBC now?

Seems like a huge foot bullet to me.
  • Options
    Anyone know what he said to cause this? Assume it was something about the ownership on last night's podcast?
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:

Anyone know what he said to cause this? Assume it was something about the ownership on last night's podcast?

Nothing to do with the podcast last night, found out beforehand.

Like I say it's a conflict of interest, I'm sure there's bits and pieces in SLP reports recently that don't represent the club in the light that they want to be represented in and therefore I am not a viable candidate to commentate.

Was gonna keep it quiet TBH but then thought it's gonna get out there anyway so I might as well mention it first that it's a conflict of interest thing, I think probably the right decision from a clubs point of view.

• Options
    seth plum said:

The controversy is embedded in the notion of a conflict of interests. I take that to mean that the club want the Charlton commentary to be only club friendly propaganda, rather than to allow the free judgement of those doing the commentary to express themselves in their other activities.

Isn't that what PR and Marketing is - a means to try and control the way your business/brand/organisation or whatever is portrayed and perceived outside the organisation? You can call that propaganda if you like, but propoganda and PR/marketing always have been two sides of the same coin.

As I understand it, the club provides the platform and the equipment for the commentators and the commentary goes out through a service with Charlton's branding all over it. They are well within their rights to want it to be done in a way which puts the club in a more positive light but there doesn't seem to be any suggestion that the club have banned criticism from the commentary - I don't think we'll see a situation where the people left doing it have to pretend we are always playing well, or that all the players are doing great, or that the crowd are really chanting Booourns.

Louis can't, on a Thursday, do a Charlton Live podcast which consist almost entirely of criticism of the club, its staff and owners, and write an SLP article highlighting all the clubs failures and then go into to do work for the club, under the clubs branding on a Saturday. None of us would be able to do that with our employers and expect to be allowed to just carry on unchallenged by the company management. It is a conflict of interest.

• Options
    seth plum said:

The controversy is embedded in the notion of a conflict of interests. I take that to mean that the club want the Charlton commentary to be only club friendly propaganda, rather than to allow the free judgement of those doing the commentary to express themselves in their other activities.

I have never listened to it but I assume the match commentary is supposed to be a match commentary. If the person doing it is elsewhere slating the club then there is every chance the commentary might become distorted. That's not a fact, it's a thought.

Most importantly though, the person who this affects most (or perhaps who it only affects) doesn't mind and understands the decision.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    PWR but has anyone explained why Louis has asked to not do commentaries anymore? I mean I know the football has been shit under these morons but I'd have thought he quite enjoys commentating never the less?
  • Options
    It does read two ways, that why the English Language is the dogs.

As the Queen herself would say.
  • Options
    Maybe Katrien wants to have a go at doing the commentary herself, considering her excellent knowledge of The Championship.
  • Options
    The truth obviously hurts and Katrien wants tame commentators who can't state the bleeding obvious. I really hope she's there tomorrow to face the barrage. I am pleased to hear Louis is ok with it but I am not and we shouldn't be. She has to go.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Not going to be popular with this view but to me this is a definite conflict of interest and actually by stopping the direct Charlton piece it should help Louis to focus in his other roles without being concerned about what another employer may think. I have absolutely no issue with this whatsoever.

Undoubtedly Louis will be a loss as a good commentator etc but that is not really the point here.
  • Options
    LoOkOuT said:

PL54 said:

seth plum said:

I have never listened to it but I assume the match commentary is supposed to be a match commentary. If the person doing it is elsewhere slating the club then there is every chance the commentary might become distorted. That's not a fact, it's a thought.

Most importantly though, the person who this affects most (or perhaps who it only affects) doesn't mind and understands the decision.
    You have an opinion on something you haven't listened too... Good heavens, whatever next?!?!?!
    I have heard football match commentary before, amazingly.

Is the stuff that he was doing different?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thanks for all the excellent broadcasts Louis, good luck.
  • Options
    Louis is hardly gonna come out and slate the club for this decision when in the future he will need access to players and whoever else at the club to continue his work for SLP/BBC
  • Options
    If you can't organize the club and bolster the team, shoot the messenger.
  • Options
    Question @LouisMend, did you see this coming?
  • Options
    Chunes said:

Yeh I had been given a warning a few weeks ago
  • Options
    LouisMend said:

Chunes said:

Yeh I had been given a warning a few weeks ago
    They warned you off any more critical pieces?
  • Options
    Louis will be on celebrity big brother next year at this rate