Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

VOTV: club discussing building flats in The Valley as part of Jimmy Seed Stand redevelopment

Comments

• Options
    Could this the beginning of the end for Charlton at the Valley ???
  • Options
    I heard this earlier and thought was a joke!
  • Options
    Similar to what RD has done at his other clubs, right?

I think it shows that RD is here long term, unless we can force him out.
  • Options
    edited January 2016

Could this the beginning of the end for Charlton at the Valley ???

I don't think that's what RD intends at all. What he has done at Sint Truiden is sell the club but keep hold of the ground, which he charges them to play on. He has also redeveloped the ground with a hotel, etc, under the stands. At the same time, he significantly increased the ground capacity there, basically by building upwards on the same fairly small footprint. These would be leasehold flats, so RD would still own them in the long run and get income from them.

• Options
    edited January 2016

Stayen (Sint Truiden). Guess which bits Roly built...

(I'm not sure that's the latest version of it, either.)
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Someone wake me up from this nightmare. Once the flats are built perhaps RD will change the name to the Staprix NV Arena....then switch the home kit to blue.
  • Options

It isn't. Stand on the right has been replaced with this.
  • Options
    As Henry mentioned, as long as it does not effect the capacity of the ground AND the further development of the east stand with capacity then i do not really see a problem unless someone can enlighten me further.
    Secondly, Roland is here long term imo , just hoping the protests will force a change of ceo.
    Just to add i would like roly to sell up.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    There's a limit to the extent to which you can extend the east stand. Under the previous scheme, which has already been compromised by the sale of 2 Lansdowne Mews, the capacity would only have increased by 3,000. Access is an issue, not just for the steel, etc, but for fans. The potential is mainly at the Jimmy Seed end, because of the relative lack of height issues.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Airman you are going to need a bigger megaphone at the next protest.
    This latest development needs as much exposure as possible.
  • Options
    Ultimately it depends on the proposed redevelopment IMO. It's the oldest stand so rebuilding could be a decent enough outcome providing capacity was kept at a minimum of 2/2500. If the proposal is just for say 1000 seats then it's obviously bad news
  • Options
    So at this stage this is not evidence of anything untoward and may turn out to be good news.

It's quite usual that such a longer term plan in any business would not be in the public domain until more thoroughly investigated and the pros and cons better understood.

I would expect that if it is raised at the Fans Forum little more than a holding response is given or we can really expect to be given.

It's interesting certainly but not yet a worry.
  • Options
    Building some flats overlooking the pitch is not a bad thing, in that it shows a commitment to the club, as what's the point if there is no team. Building flats not overlooking the pitch is more worrying.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Mr Keown is looking to make a name for himself. Sadly it may be more negative than positive if he continues with his current ongoings.
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

Mr Keown is looking to make a name for himself. Sadly it may be more negative than positive if he continues with his current ongoings.

I think it's already negative
  • Options
    Maybe when the doubters finally realise that this mob are ready to build on The Valley (I reckon within 2 years), they'll manage to foregona cheese roll and a pint of pissy Fosters for more than 10 minutes. Oh no, too late by then.
  • Options

It looks like it, I was there for the pre-season game.

From the outside you'd never think there was a football pitch the other side of the shops, restaurants and offices.
  • Options
    cafc999 said:

shirty5 said:

I think it's already negative
    As he appears to give KM much of her advice, it is undoubtedly negative
  • Options
    Does having the Valley listed as a community asset come into play in any way?
  • Options

Does having the Valley listed as a community asset come into play in any way?

Only for six months and not that strong anyway but it is a hurdle