Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

VOTV: club discussing building flats in The Valley as part of Jimmy Seed Stand redevelopment

Comments

• Options
    Dansk_Red said:

I still believe he will sell the football club but retain the Valley and lease it back. The same as Barry Hearn has done at Orient, and what RD has done at St T.

Exactly. One of the big questions is which entity would own and profit from a redeveloped JS, CAFC or Staprix? I would bet on it being Staprix. We might even find the club having to rent the "stand" part of the redevelopment back from Staprix.
  • Options

There's a limit to the extent to which you can extend the east stand. Under the previous scheme, which has already been compromised by the sale of 2 Lansdowne Mews, the capacity would only have increased by 3,000. Access is an issue, not just for the steel, etc, but for fans. The potential is mainly at the Jimmy Seed end, because of the relative lack of height issues.

Probably has nothing to do with whats being discussed here but i noticed over the new year an application to removed some conditions at 2 lansdowne mews has been made to greenwich council.
    http://publicaccess.royalgreenwich.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=_GRNW_DCAPR_83941
  • Options
    That certainly describes the appointment of Karel Fraeye... I doubt that Roland even realises that fans considered it an affront when he was appointed.

Maybe that's one for the fans forum to ask - do the board and owner realise how insulted fans were that an inexperienced third division manager was parachuted in.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Just when you think you can't despise the current regime any more then you already do, this happens.

That they are even considering bolting on some flats to our home is sickening, the home that so many in the generations of Charlton fans before me fought to save and return our beloved club to.

This is the Valley, the home of Charlton Athletic, simple as that, it is a football stadium, not some multi purpose plot of land for them to add whatever else they wish on, a football stadium that means more to thousands of us Charlton fans then they will ever understand.

We need more details but if they thought they had a fight with us fans before, they have just escalated things tenfold.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Mackle said:

RedChaser said:

Rothko said:

Asked a friend who works for DNC about Cahones, and the message back is pretty vicious in its criticism of him, and the surprise he's been allowed near the top of any organisation

And there we have it! Now promoted to a level of incompetence as Chief Operations Officer or similar job title.
    I've worked for successful blue chip companies as far as perceived reputation goes, that have been littered with promoting the incompetent, the militant that shout about how everything that they do wrong is someone else's fault, the brown nosers, the people that go on and on about how great their work is when it's the work of their colleagues. They promote these various different types of imbecile up and up the corporate ranks.

At the same time, good people get sick of things and move on to pastures new. How do these companies still function and make profit?
    It makes you wonder, eventually they get found out as will this fella when RD's unhappy with the bottom line. KM will receive a little telling off from teacher but she will, no doubt, in true form pass the blame downwards and remove him of his duties just like the succession of team Managers / Coaches. All the more reason to keep the pressure on and hurt RD where it hurts the most.
  • Options

In our Premier League days there was a proposal to build another tier on the East Stand and build a new Jimmy Seed/South/Open End stand. I think the capacity would have gone up to around 36/37,000.
    IMO this latest idea shows RD has no intention of ever getting back to the Premier. 1st Division, low wages and overheads and the Masterplan of an academy producing a non stop stream of talented youngsters to be sold for millions. I wonder why other "visionaries" haven't thought of this before.......

we don't need 37000 to be in the PL. I doubt we'd fill such a capacity most weeks anyway
    You don't need to fill it most weeks, though, and the reality is that many PL clubs have and are looking to expand their capacity. West Ham, Spurs, Liverpool, Chelsea, all being obvious examples. If The Valley becomes limited to 30k then it will be less attractive to some of the big players interested in buying a football club in London - hence the use of the peninsular stadium as a hook to try to attract them in the past. It may mean that can only happen by leaving The Valley.

I don't think the Belgians have any plan to leave The Valley or convert it all into residential. I don't have the detail of what they are planning here and I don't think they do at this stage, either. But as they discover that the costs of development at the Jimmy Seed end are more than they thought, which I expect is what will happen, they may move further and further towards residential use in order to get a return. They may think, in League One and with gates dwindling, why not just build a walkway across the south end and hand the east stand over to away fans? We can still accommodate 18,000 or so home fans in the north and west. That's all we are going to need. Just as Roger Alwen used to argue that a 15,000 capacity would be enough for Charlton.

I don't know, but I am very sure that I don't trust them to put the long-term interests of the club first.
    I'm not sure Spurs, Liverpool and Chelsea are exactly comparable to us in terms of supporter base. Even West Ham are a significantly bigger club than us, they already sell out 35k, and with their taxpayer funded Olympic Stadium are in a perfect place to attract the PL casual watchers

The majority of clubs at "our level" are between 25k and 33k, and the likes of Watford and Swansea around 21k.
    Yes, I get that, but I wonder if you asked them what the optimum would be how many would say that their current capacity is ideal. Apart from physical constraints, one of the problems in the past has been the fact those clubs can't rely on staying in the PL.
    Apart from a small number of elite clubs, none of us can guarantee which division we'll be in. Long term, we've spent more time in the second tier than any other. Extra capacity is great, but can also kill the atmosphere. MKD have a really nice ground, but their fans rattle around in it. Ewood Park is similarly far too big for Blackburn's current attendances

I recall that in the most recent plans for ground expansion, the second tier on the East Stand was as much about rebuilding the Executive Boxes, and segregating their seating as it was about increasing capacity. Indeed, I'm sure at some point a similar scheme will be revisited as the boxes and corporate facilities on this side are pretty rudimentary when compared with other grounds.
  • Options

In our Premier League days there was a proposal to build another tier on the East Stand and build a new Jimmy Seed/South/Open End stand. I think the capacity would have gone up to around 36/37,000.
    IMO this latest idea shows RD has no intention of ever getting back to the Premier. 1st Division, low wages and overheads and the Masterplan of an academy producing a non stop stream of talented youngsters to be sold for millions. I wonder why other "visionaries" haven't thought of this before.......

we don't need 37000 to be in the PL. I doubt we'd fill such a capacity most weeks anyway
    You don't need to fill it most weeks, though, and the reality is that many PL clubs have and are looking to expand their capacity. West Ham, Spurs, Liverpool, Chelsea, all being obvious examples. If The Valley becomes limited to 30k then it will be less attractive to some of the big players interested in buying a football club in London - hence the use of the peninsular stadium as a hook to try to attract them in the past. It may mean that can only happen by leaving The Valley.

I don't think the Belgians have any plan to leave The Valley or convert it all into residential. I don't have the detail of what they are planning here and I don't think they do at this stage, either. But as they discover that the costs of development at the Jimmy Seed end are more than they thought, which I expect is what will happen, they may move further and further towards residential use in order to get a return. They may think, in League One and with gates dwindling, why not just build a walkway across the south end and hand the east stand over to away fans? We can still accommodate 18,000 or so home fans in the north and west. That's all we are going to need. Just as Roger Alwen used to argue that a 15,000 capacity would be enough for Charlton.

I don't know, but I am very sure that I don't trust them to put the long-term interests of the club first.
    I'm not sure Spurs, Liverpool and Chelsea are exactly comparable to us in terms of supporter base. Even West Ham are a significantly bigger club than us, they already sell out 35k, and with their taxpayer funded Olympic Stadium are in a perfect place to attract the PL casual watchers

The majority of clubs at "our level" are between 25k and 33k, and the likes of Watford and Swansea around 21k.
    Yes, I get that, but I wonder if you asked them what the optimum would be how many would say that their current capacity is ideal. Apart from physical constraints, one of the problems in the past has been the fact those clubs can't rely on staying in the PL.
    Apart from a small number of elite clubs, none of us can guarantee which division we'll be in. Long term, we've spent more time in the second tier than any other. Extra capacity is great, but can also kill the atmosphere. MKD have a really nice ground, but their fans rattle around in it. Ewood Park is similarly far too big for Blackburn's current attendances

I recall that in the most recent plans for ground expansion, the second tier on the East Stand was as much about rebuilding the Executive Boxes, and segregating their seating as it was about increasing capacity. Indeed, I'm sure at some point a similar scheme will be revisited as the boxes and corporate facilities on this side are pretty rudimentary when compared with other grounds.
    K&F. Are you for or against Duchatelet.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Reflects the lack of demand, though. Not my area, but the focus was moving much more towards tables in the Centre Circle restaurant than boxes.
  • Options
    Dansk_Red said:

I still believe he will sell the football club but retain the Valley and lease it back. The same as Barry Hearn has done at Orient, and what RD has done at St T.

This is by far the biggest risk. It might look good on a financial spreadsheet, but a club has to own its ground. Just look at the recent example at Coventry. There are other examples I'm sure.
  • Options

K&F. Are you for or against Duchatelet.
    Against, but I'm not completely against this idea without seeing the details. benno44's comments sums up my comments
  • Options
    he plans a similar development at Jena too. The difference there is that it also involves covering a previously largely open stadium, greatly enhancing the atmosphere.

The really crucial thing, as @MountsfieldPark says, is whether there will be an split of ownership as has happened at STVV. If that is not on the menu, then @benno44 viewpoint above is reasonable. But it is a big if.

• Options
    edited January 2016
    Mackle said:

That certainly describes the appointment of Karel Fraeye... I doubt that Roland even realises that fans considered it an affront when he was appointed.

Maybe that's one for the fans forum to ask - do the board and owner realise how insulted fans were that an inexperienced third division manager was parachuted in.

I don't want to sidetrack this thread, but Peeters, Luzon and Fraeye are all youngish. Fraeye zero relevant experience, Luzon straight from Israel club and U21s into Standard Liege, Peeters relatively inexperienced - about one year in Jupiler Pro League, iirc. Which leaves Riga as the love-hate John McClane goto figure when the youngsters lead your investment into the brown stuff.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    One thing that did always strike me with the old plans for a 40,000 capacity was why the need for a second tier on the East Stand? For such a small tier to go on top of a large stand would look stupid when it's less than half the size of the current stand, would it not be better to knock down the boxes at the top of the East, add more rows to it and keep it to one tier with new boxes built at the back again?

A 40,000 capacity would be ideal if we were able to repeat a sustained run of Premier League football with reduced ticket prices but of course the downside would be a more than half empty ground with relegation to The Championship.

I guess the golden question is how big is big enough? You could argue 27,111 is too big right now but since we returned to The Valley, average gates and the capacity have both increased hand in hand over the years.

I liked the idea of the original plan filling in the SE and SW corners, should that ever happen i'd like to see the Jimmy Seed stand reclaimed as a home end and shove all the away fans into the SW corner.

As for residential flats being built? That for me is a no it just creates too many obstacles and too much red tape should you wish to further expand after they are built. I can understand perhaps building a hotel into the top or back of the stand but no to residential flats.
  • Options
    benno44 said:

Let me make clear I am no fan of this regime. I want RD out. However it is not necessarily a foolish idea to look into this. Any other owner taking over would do the same. Other clubs up and down the country are lookinge rest at ways of developing their grounds to increase the revenue stream.Running a football club is a loss making venture.

The Jimmy Seed stand is in need of modernisation. It lags behind the rest of the ground. My Sheffield Wednesday supporting sons tell me what a poor stand it is.

Who would argue if we got a much improved stand- perhaps of similar capacity or even slightly more, say 4-5,000 and some flats with the stand paid for by the sale of the flats? If, and , it's a big "if" , this were the plan I would not be averse to it. Most thinking supporters would be of a similar view.

So the plans for the residential development include an increase in capacity for the ground overall ?
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    benno44 said:

Let me make clear I am no fan of this regime. I want RD out. However it is not necessarily a foolish idea to look into this. Any other owner taking over would do the same. Other clubs up and down the country are lookinge rest at ways of developing their grounds to increase the revenue stream.Running a football club is a loss making venture.

The Jimmy Seed stand is in need of modernisation. It lags behind the rest of the ground. My Sheffield Wednesday supporting sons tell me what a poor stand it is.

Who would argue if we got a much improved stand- perhaps of similar capacity or even slightly more, say 4-5,000 and some flats with the stand paid for by the sale of the flats? If, and , it's a big "if" , this were the plan I would not be averse to it. Most thinking supporters would be of a similar view.

Well, they'll be able to tell us what they aim to do now, won't they? But I think they will be a long way from understanding the financial viability.

One reason to be extremely cautious is what they have done with ticket offce, which makes no operational sense at all. They have sacrificed a functional facility to separate the ticket windows and the staff accommodation. Even allowing for the desire to promote a channel shift towards the internet this makes no sense and consequently will have to be reversed.

While daft, that isn't a lasting and irreversible mistake. Getting it wrong here could ultimately mean the end of The Valley, whatever the intentions.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

One thing that did always strike me with the old plans for a 40,000 capacity was why the need for a second tier on the East Stand? For such a small tier to go on top of a large stand would look stupid when it's less than half the size of the current stand, would it not be better to knock down the boxes at the top of the East, add more rows to it and keep it to one tier with new boxes built at the back again?

A 40,000 capacity would be ideal if we were able to repeat a sustained run of Premier League football with reduced ticket prices but of course the downside would be a more than half empty ground with relegation to The Championship.

I guess the golden question is how big is big enough? You could argue 27,111 is too big right now but since we returned to The Valley, average gates and the capacity have both increased hand in hand over the years.

I liked the idea of the original plan filling in the SE and SW corners, should that ever happen i'd like to see the Jimmy Seed stand reclaimed as a home end and shove all the away fans into the SW corner.

As for residential flats being built? That for me is a no it just creates too many obstacles and too much red tape. I can understand perhaps building a hotel into the top or back of the stand but no to residential flats.

It's to do with height and creating space in the void at the back, off the top of my head.
  • Options
    Here's a vision for you.
    A 3rd or 4th tier boutique club with regular attendance of 10 K.
    An academy which regularly sells product to 1st and 2nd tier clubs or transfers to elsewhere in the network.
    20 - 40 flats worth 10 - 30 million in an area close to the river and 20 mins by train into London, 10 mins to Greenwich Park and market, restaurants etc.

Charlton train station is due for upgrade in the same way the Croydon line stations were and property prices outstripped even the London average. Loss by getting related 5-10 million. Profit of downsizing first team operations 10 million minimum plus yearly profit of God knows by selling on youth players.
  • Options

In this case, our "opinion" will be asked by Greenwich if it gets that far - and there's nothing the Belgians can do to prevent that.

Your faith in LB Greenwich's rigour in consulting on housing developments does you proud but recent history suggests is misplaced. If the identity of the property developer is correct then LBG has proved to be very accommodating (all puns intended) throughout the borough. e.g. "affordable/social housing percentage a problem? Not with us mister developer friend" "massive new development on prime site without consideration of public transport implications? Yes please mister developer, we know your new homeowners won't use buses." "huge new furniture store without consideration of the traffic impact? We're in for business" "new east London river crossing feeding in to already thoroughly over-capacity congested road system of region with seriously sub-standard air quality? We're big fans!"
    If Roly or Keohane knows which developer to engage then LBG will facilitate with enthusiasm, consultation or no consultation.

• Options

Here's a vision for you.
    An academy which regularly sells product to 1st and 2nd tier clubs or transfers to elsewhere in the network.
    20 - 40 flats worth 10 - 30 million in an area close to the river and 20 mins by train into London, 10 mins to Greenwich Park and market, restaurants etc.

Charlton train station is due for upgrade in the same way the Croydon line stations were and property prices outstripped even the London average. Loss by getting related 5-10 million. Profit of downsizing first team operations 10 million minimum plus yearly profit of God knows by selling on youth players.

Wouldn't be 10 mins to a restaurant with one sitting right underneath the flats ;)
  • Options

Apart from being quite basic, there were major problems with away fans in the Executive boxes during the PL years. Inevitably, box owners would invite fans from opposing clubs, and their celebrations would cause serious ructions.

By having the boxes behind a small tier of executive seating, this would remove this conflict. Presumably give much better facilities too for the boxes, with their own lounge
  • Options

Here's a vision for you.

Wouldn't be 10 mins to a restaurant with one sitting right underneath the flats ;)
    That's where all the unsold pies are going. Devilishly cunning.
  • Options

Here's a vision for you.

I'm not sure that the production line sale of academy players works well in league one.

Hopefully hypothetical scenario. Gomez or perhaps Lookman worth 2-3 million playing for a Championship club. But half that or less if playing league one. Add to that the financial losses associated with playing third their football and I doubt the plan as you suggest works.

• Options
    Uh oh...