Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

VOTV: club discussing building flats in The Valley as part of Jimmy Seed Stand redevelopment

Comments

• Options
    CAFCTrev said:

I cant imagine Roland would want to reduce the capacity from its current amount, because of the income large away followings bring. You could say he can simply relocate the away fans and have a small new Jimmy Seed stand, but the police would probably block any relocation due to the way the away fans are perfectly segregated and easily manageable there.

There's plenty of space down that end to build the flats and have a similarly sized stand, or indeed larger. It's a question of what the final capacity of The Valley should be.
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:

Why would Roland bother with a multi-year plan of running a club into the ground just so he could build some flats in London. Hes a rich man, If thats what he wanted to do surely he could just build some flats somewhere, and never bother buying a football club in the first place? Wouldnt that be cheaper and faster?

Because if they do it at the valley then Cahones can run up to Roland and say look how good I am!!
  • Options
    No doubt the furniture will be sourced from a third rate Beligian DFS?
  • Options
    Hopefully any money made from these flats (if built) will lower the "losses" RD has made at Charlton and therefore lowers the overall price potential buyers would have to pay for the club as
    There would be less debt to cover
  • Options
    I still believe he will sell the football club but retain the Valley and lease it back. The same as Barry Hearn has done at Orient, and what RD has done at St T.
  • Options
    What does this Keohane bloke look like, just in case I bump into him at some time!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2016
    Rothko said:

Asked a friend who works for DNC about Cahones, and the message back is pretty vicious in its criticism of him, and the surprise he's been allowed near the top of any organisation

And there we have it! Now promoted to a level of incompetence as Chief Operations Officer or similar job title.
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:

Why would Roland bother with a multi-year plan of running a club into the ground just so he could build some flats in London. Hes a rich man, If thats what he wanted to do surely he could just build some flats somewhere, and never bother buying a football club in the first place? Wouldnt that be cheaper and faster?

Because as someone who doesn't follow football for the same reasons as 99% of domestic football fans he thinks his idea of a multiplex shopping/sports/gastronomic venture is a good one.

It's total shite IMO.
  • Options
    Everything this Madman does is wrong. Someone needs to do what you would do with a Mad Dog.
  • Options
    In our Premier League days there was a proposal to build another tier on the East Stand and build a new Jimmy Seed/South/Open End stand. I think the capacity would have gone up to around 36/37,000.
    IMO this latest idea shows RD has no intention of ever getting back to the Premier. 1st Division, low wages and overheads and the Masterplan of an academy producing a non stop stream of talented youngsters to be sold for millions. I wonder why other "visionaries" haven't thought of this before.......
  • Options

Maybe when the doubters finally realise that this mob are ready to build on The Valley (I reckon within 2 years), they'll manage to foregona cheese roll and a pint of pissy Fosters for more than 10 minutes. Oh no, too late by then.

Not sure that stacks up. Should this nonsense go ahead I'm not sure how a football stand / block of flats could be incorporated into a development that doesn't include a football pitch.

• Options

In our Premier League days there was a proposal to build another tier on the East Stand and build a new Jimmy Seed/South/Open End stand. I think the capacity would have gone up to around 36/37,000.
    IMO this latest idea shows RD has no intention of ever getting back to the Premier. 1st Division, low wages and overheads and the Masterplan of an academy producing a non stop stream of talented youngsters to be sold for millions. I wonder why other "visionaries" haven't thought of this before.......

we don't need 37000 to be in the PL. I doubt we'd fill such a capacity most weeks anyway
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

What does this Keohane bloke look like, just in case I bump into him at some time!

Youtube the November meeting.

He's to the far right of squirrel face.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

Rothko said:

Asked a friend who works for DNC about Cahones, and the message back is pretty vicious in its criticism of him, and the surprise he's been allowed near the top of any organisation

And there we have it! Now promoted to a level of incompetence as Chief Operations Officer or similar job title.
    I've worked for successful blue chip companies as far as perceived reputation goes, that have been littered with promoting the incompetent, the militant that shout about how everything that they do wrong is someone else's fault, the brown nosers, the people that go on and on about how great their work is when it's the work of their colleagues. They promote these various different types of imbecile up and up the corporate ranks.

At the same time, good people get sick of things and move on to pastures new. How do these companies still function and make profit?
  • Options

we don't need 37000 to be in the PL. I doubt we'd fill such a capacity most weeks anyway
    You don't need to fill it most weeks, though, and the reality is that many PL clubs have and are looking to expand their capacity. West Ham, Spurs, Liverpool, Chelsea, all being obvious examples. If The Valley becomes limited to 30k then it will be less attractive to some of the big players interested in buying a football club in London - hence the use of the peninsular stadium as a hook to try to attract them in the past. It may mean that can only happen by leaving The Valley.

I don't think the Belgians have any plan to leave The Valley or convert it all into residential. I don't have the detail of what they are planning here and I don't think they do at this stage, either. But as they discover that the costs of development at the Jimmy Seed end are more than they thought, which I expect is what will happen, they may move further and further towards residential use in order to get a return. They may think, in League One and with gates dwindling, why not just build a walkway across the south end and hand the east stand over to away fans? We can still accommodate 18,000 or so home fans in the north and west. That's all we are going to need. Just as Roger Alwen used to argue that a 15,000 capacity would be enough for Charlton.

I don't know, but I am very sure that I don't trust them to put the long-term interests of the club first.
    I'm not sure Spurs, Liverpool and Chelsea are exactly comparable to us in terms of supporter base. Even West Ham are a significantly bigger club than us, they already sell out 35k, and with their taxpayer funded Olympic Stadium are in a perfect place to attract the PL casual watchers

The majority of clubs at "our level" are between 25k and 33k, and the likes of Watford and Swansea around 21k.
  • Options

Maybe when the doubters finally realise that this mob are ready to build on The Valley (I reckon within 2 years), they'll manage to foregona cheese roll and a pint of pissy Fosters for more than 10 minutes. Oh no, too late by then.

Not sure that stacks up. Should this nonsense go ahead I'm not sure how a football stand / block of flats could be incorporated into a development that doesn't include a football pitch.

Indeed and we shouldn't credit them with any grand strategy - just look at the evidence and the calibre of leadership.
    We have to watch Duchatelet & Meire's every move carefully because his/her strategy is based on stealth. What appears to be nothing at first can easily be turned into another nightmare by these most sneaky of snakes who obviously have never had any intention in getting Charlton back to the Premier League. I lost trust in them as soon as Kermo went for all the wrong reasons.
  • Options

CAFCTrev said:

I cant imagine Roland would want to reduce the capacity from its current amount, because of the income large away followings bring. You could say he can simply relocate the away fans and have a small new Jimmy Seed stand, but the police would probably block any relocation due to the way the away fans are perfectly segregated and easily manageable there.

There's plenty of space down that end to build the flats and have a similarly sized stand, or indeed larger. It's a question of what the final capacity of The Valley should be.
    At least 40,000 to be attractive to people who do have proper football ambitions for the club.
  • Options

You don't need to fill it most weeks, though, and the reality is that many PL clubs have and are looking to expand their capacity. West Ham, Spurs, Liverpool, Chelsea, all being obvious examples. If The Valley becomes limited to 30k then it will be less attractive to some of the big players interested in buying a football club in London - hence the use of the peninsular stadium as a hook to try to attract them in the past. It may mean that can only happen by leaving The Valley.

I don't think the Belgians have any plan to leave The Valley or convert it all into residential. I don't have the detail of what they are planning here and I don't think they do at this stage, either. But as they discover that the costs of development at the Jimmy Seed end are more than they thought, which I expect is what will happen, they may move further and further towards residential use in order to get a return. They may think, in League One and with gates dwindling, why not just build a walkway across the south end and hand the east stand over to away fans? We can still accommodate 18,000 or so home fans in the north and west. That's all we are going to need. Just as Roger Alwen used to argue that a 15,000 capacity would be enough for Charlton.

I don't know, but I am very sure that I don't trust them to put the long-term interests of the club first.
    I'm not sure Spurs, Liverpool and Chelsea are exactly comparable to us in terms of supporter base. Even West Ham are a significantly bigger club than us, they already sell out 35k, and with their taxpayer funded Olympic Stadium are in a perfect place to attract the PL casual watchers

The majority of clubs at "our level" are between 25k and 33k, and the likes of Watford and Swansea around 21k.
    Yes, I get that, but I wonder if you asked them what the optimum would be how many would say that their current capacity is ideal. Apart from physical constraints, one of the problems in the past has been the fact those clubs can't rely on staying in the PL.