Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

VOTV: club discussing building flats in The Valley as part of Jimmy Seed Stand redevelopment

Comments

• Options

Here's a vision for you.
    A 3rd or 4th tier boutique club with regular attendance of 10 K.
    An academy which regularly sells product to 1st and 2nd tier clubs or transfers to elsewhere in the network.
    20 - 40 flats worth 10 - 30 million in an area close to the river and 20 mins by train into London, 10 mins to Greenwich Park and market, restaurants etc.

Charlton train station is due for upgrade in the same way the Croydon line stations were and property prices outstripped even the London average. Loss by getting related 5-10 million. Profit of downsizing first team operations 10 million minimum plus yearly profit of God knows by selling on youth players.

I'm not sure that the production line sale of academy players works well in league one.

Hopefully hypothetical scenario. Gomez or perhaps Lookman worth 2-3 million playing for a Championship club. But half that or less if playing league one. Add to that the financial losses associated with playing third their football and I doubt the plan as you suggest works.

And you would need to have fantastic youth players coming through every year, year after year for his plan to work. This is impossible.

If it was that easy every club would be doing it
  • Options
    Flats in that area are currently going for around the 300k mark I believe.
  • Options

Maybe when the doubters finally realise that this mob are ready to build on The Valley (I reckon within 2 years), they'll manage to foregona cheese roll and a pint of pissy Fosters for more than 10 minutes. Oh no, too late by then.

Not sure that stacks up. Should this nonsense go ahead I'm not sure how a football stand / block of flats could be incorporated into a development that doesn't include a football pitch.

Indeed and we shouldn't credit them with any grand strategy - just look at the evidence and the calibre of leadership.
    Exactly. Look at the troubles on the playing side alone. Short-term signings every January. There is no long-term plan.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Every businessman has a long term plan. Even if they are shit. As for not making enough from selling youth product...I'm suggesting that CAFC will primarily be an academy with an attached football team happy to sell whenever a profit can be made...or even loss leading where strategically useful. Flats may be 300k now but high end flats and an improved transport network will see that change quickly. Nightmare scenario and maybe I am being paranoid. But I still think they are out to get us.
  • Options

We can be at his offices or houses within a couple of hrs, a few mini bus loads or a coach load of us intent on raising the bar would work a treat,

put the crack pipe down mate.
  • Options

Cahones on LinkedIn:

Experienced Stadium and venue operator, responsible for managing and developing all aspects of venue services.

Focused on identifying opportunities and maximising returns by understanding what the customer needs, providing clarity & empowerment to management and forming effective confident front line teams to engage customers and provide excellent service experiences.
    Accomplished at setting up and leading working teams to deliver intricate projects, which include contract openings, mobilisation of new business, property acquisition, planning application and construction programs, organisational development & structural change, new software & system integrations and building refurbishment.

Think Katrien is possibly the only person on earth who would buy that... its bullshit and mumbo jumbo even by usual corporate standards!
  • Options

Cahones on LinkedIn:

Experienced Stadium and venue operator, responsible for managing and developing all aspects of venue services.

Focused on identifying opportunities and maximising returns by understanding what the customer needs, providing clarity & empowerment to management and forming effective confident front line teams to engage customers and provide excellent service experiences.
    Accomplished at setting up and leading working teams to deliver intricate projects, which include contract openings, mobilisation of new business, property acquisition, planning application and construction programs, organisational development & structural change, new software & system integrations and building refurbishment.

Think Katrien is possibly the only person on earth who would buy that... its bullshit and mumbo jumbo even by usual corporate standards!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Redeveloping the Jimmy Seed stand and in fact that entire end of the stadium would be one of my long terms goals/ projects if I was owner.

There are however thong I would want to ensure.

1) Capacity increases. Well this is an obvious one why would you develop a football ground without increasing the capacity. This could easily be done by filming in the corners.

2) It is kind to future development. What I mean by this is that we're we to redevelop the Jimmy seed stand and fill in the corners of the ground (or even just re do what is there) for now I would keep it to one tier. But I would make sure it is relatively easy and not too expensive to add another tier to it of the need ever arises.. you wouldn't want to be in a position where you want to add another tier but can't without a complete rebuild of what is the newest part of the ground.

3) It MUST improve the facilities and experience for the fans.. I'm talking better access more facilities for kiosks toilets etc no point doing it unless everything is top notch.

Once all of these were guaranteed to bethe best possible then I would start to thong about possible comersial efforts that could help fund it. For example what I would do, as long as it didn't interfere with any, of the above is:

A hotel, a lot of clubs now days often have a hotel near or as part of the ground. This would save money in the long run, as we wouldn't have to use the Marriot Bexleyheath for every new signing/loan signing/possible signing and their agents/family/dog etc..
    It would also used by away teams fans and anyone else and so be a regular income for the club and so help with long term cash flow etc

If there was still some space after this then a few flats fitted in would not necessarily be a bad thing as long as they do not compromise any of the things set put above. Again these should be for rent not sold, so we get regular income and safeguard the future of the club. Also looking from an economic perspective rents and flat prices in areas like Charlton are only going to continue to rise so a few fats is not a bad idea but in selling them now you are selling yourself short and missing out on future income. And settling for a one time hit rather than long term income is not safeguarding the future of the club.

A few offices that could be rented out to local businesses/ to encourage budines sea to enter the area could also be a good idea and would be an easy sell to the council.

The trouble is with this bunch we know that any comercial interest will come way before the fans/football side is even thought about. If done right it could be a huge plus for them, but get it wrong and they will feel the full force of the fans. From history they should know, mess with our ground and things get serious.

Cantersaddick for Cahones job when the fans launch a takeover in 2021!

Just as long as you don't bring your fascination with thongs with you into the job.

It'd bring tears to your eyes....
  • Options
    edited January 2016

1) Capacity increases. Well this is an obvious one why would you develop a football ground without increasing the capacity. This could easily be done by filming in the corners.

Could that be done easily though, since one of the corners is a small burial ground (that does have a good view of the pitch) so I am not sure what legislation there is around burial grounds.

• Options
    Well congratulations to VOTV for getting this out there. Very interesting and may force their hand in some way to their intentions, although I hold out little hope of that.

London is building upwards. There is a height precident to the South West of the ground in Charlton House already. Agreed, it would take years in planning by which time I reckon we will be toast in our present format anyway. It has always been a dream of mine to see the Valley fully redeveloped but as with all things regime, I woudn't trust the feckers as far as I can throw them...
  • Options
    Mackle said:

Could that be done easily though, since one of the corners is a small burial ground (that does have a good view of the pitch) so I am not sure what legislation there is around burial grounds.

Fair point.. although I'm under the impressionthat the original plans under the Murray/Varney lot in the prem involved filling in both corners. But I may be wrong...
  • Options
    edited January 2016

Redeveloping the Jimmy Seed stand and in fact that entire end of the stadium would be one of my long terms goals/ projects if I was owner.

There are however thong I would want to ensure.

2) It is kind to future development. What I mean by this is that we're we to redevelop the Jimmy seed stand and fill in the corners of the ground (or even just re do what is there) for now I would keep it to one tier. But I would make sure it is relatively easy and not too expensive to add another tier to it of the need ever arises.. you wouldn't want to be in a position where you want to add another tier but can't without a complete rebuild of what is the newest part of the ground.

3) It MUST improve the facilities and experience for the fans.. I'm talking better access more facilities for kiosks toilets etc no point doing it unless everything is top notch.

Once all of these were guaranteed to bethe best possible then I would start to thong about possible comersial efforts that could help fund it. For example what I would do, as long as it didn't interfere with any, of the above is:

A hotel, a lot of clubs now days often have a hotel near or as part of the ground. This would save money in the long run, as we wouldn't have to use the Marriot Bexleyheath for every new signing/loan signing/possible signing and their agents/family/dog etc..
    It would also used by away teams fans and anyone else and so be a regular income for the club and so help with long term cash flow etc

If there was still some space after this then a few flats fitted in would not necessarily be a bad thing as long as they do not compromise any of the things set put above. Again these should be for rent not sold, so we get regular income and safeguard the future of the club. Also looking from an economic perspective rents and flat prices in areas like Charlton are only going to continue to rise so a few fats is not a bad idea but in selling them now you are selling yourself short and missing out on future income. And settling for a one time hit rather than long term income is not safeguarding the future of the club.

A few offices that could be rented out to local businesses/ to encourage budines sea to enter the area could also be a good idea and would be an easy sell to the council.

The trouble is with this bunch we know that any comercial interest will come way before the fans/football side is even thought about. If done right it could be a huge plus for them, but get it wrong and they will feel the full force of the fans. From history they should know, mess with our ground and things get serious.

Cantersaddick for Cahones job when the fans launch a takeover in 2021!

Just as long as you don't bring your fascination with thongs with you into the job.

It'd bring tears to your eyes....
    Thanks for spotting that typo in my post! I'm glad it was the only thing you took out of it.

I am going to blame fat thumbs and a small phone...
  • Options

I can see some attractions in developing that end of the ground - potentially a win/win for both football and commercial ambitions.

But what a shame that:

a) The club have chosen to try and do it on the sly - we'll done @Airman Brown for blowing their cover
    b) We completely mistrust their motives
    c) It could surely set a precedent re 'Change of use' for The Valley from leisure to residential - a very slippery slope

The thing is though it's far form a win/win or any form of a positive. What it would do is give Roland/Staprix a consistent at and around our Club, even with new ownership that wouldn't leave as he'd be wanting to profit from the flats/entertainment services etc. he's built. We need him out before he starts to plant things we can't pull out.

There's also a rumour that Roland is still essentially in charge at SL, he has a big say in what is going on, he just 'sold' it to someone he trusted to keep himself safe over the threats etc.

This man isn't good for our Club, even the 'good' is done for a reason that is self revolved, aka improvements at SL.
  • Options
    Yeah as soon as there is any residential on the site, it seems easier for the planners to approve more.

I don't understand how you can fit on flats with a pitch view other then by building them on the roof of the stand...

I guess if you had a 20 storey block, that may be viable and that would probably fit with the Greenwich planners. Sam Bartram Close residents woikd be most affected.

More details required though.

• Options
    If RD thinks getting planning permission for anything will be straightforward in the current environment them I suggest he consult a lawyer other than KM.
  • Options
    @Atletico Addick I maybe should have been clearer that I meant win/win in principle under owners committed to CAFC - which rules out Starprix.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2016
    An ex employee at the Valley has just posted an architects impression on FB of what looks like some kind of development project. Maybe this is what they have in mind?
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    I'm having trouble posting the image here. Apologies.
  • Options

This one?

• Options

This one?

Yes, that's the one.
  • Options
    Mackle said:

It is a memorial garden rather than a burial ground. It would have to be handled senistively if and when it is moved but it shouldn't stop any development.
  • Options
    Supposedly , the picture posted above was a drawing from Varneys day!