Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Will Trump become President?

Comments

• I know exactly why Trump is appealing to a lot of Americans
  • Leuth said:

I know exactly why Trump is appealing to a lot of Americans

There wasn't any doubt in my mind that you would.
  • limeygent said:

Leuth said:

Do you not though? I mean come on, there's a large section of America that's racist, xenophobic, and misogynistic. He has support amongst white nationalists and the Alt-Right, including Breitbart president and Trump Campaign CEO Steve Bannon.

There's a perfectly reasonable case to be made that that is not all Trump supporters, and that certain Libertarians find him appealing, as well as those sick of the status quo in Washington. But surely we're not so far apart that you can't see that there is a white nationalism in this country that Trump appeals to.
  • edited November 2016
    limeygent said:

I avoid this thread like the plague, makes my blood pressure skyrocket, and I don't have as much time as some to compose lengthy responses to opinions I consider flawed. I took a chance and checked it out this time because of recent events that could well change the outcome of the election now that it's become so close. The choice between “The Crude” and “The Crook” is coming down to the wire, and it's a brave person who would bet the family allowance on the outcome.
    I stopped participating in the this thread because my view was that of the minority, and I found that a civilized discussion was impossible, posters were so invested in their points of view that rather than discuss an opposing point of view they would ridicule and be insulting. Fair enough, if the opinions of a former South-East Londoner, who has now lived in the U.S. For 44 years have no value to others of a similar background, I am happy to let things play out and keep my opinions to myself.

What is not acceptable to me, and I would hope not acceptable to other posters on CL, is any post that singles out a group of people for insult, whether it be an ethnic group, a nationality or whatever else and calls them stupid. Aren't there always objections on the”Jokes” thread if there's a joke that singles out the “Irish” for instance? So having been here as long as I have, my family, my friends, and my work colleagues are all Americans. I will therefore press the abuse button any time I see a group of people insulted the way I did today, isn't that what the button is for?

I intentionally put this second because it's more important. Very good post, very well said, my cap is off to you sir even if we don't agree on everything.
  • edited November 2016
    Leuth said:

No doubt you do. For the rest of us lacking your clairvoyance we can only assume. If there is a large bloc of Americans voting for Trump for xenophobic or racist reasons, I imagine they would have voted against Obama in the last two elections for the same reasons. Yet Trump could, apparently, win more votes than either McCain or Romney. So have Americans become more racist, or are factors at play slightly more nunanced than that? Or both?

There are parallels with Brexit here. Had xenophobia not played any part in people's reasoning, Leave would never have won. But not all Leavers are racists. Is it fair to chastise those voting for Trump/Brexit for enabling that section of the electorate? Is that how democracy works?
  • Welcome back Blackpool 72.Now behave yourself
  • Fiiish said:

Leuth said:

No doubt you do. For the rest of us lacking your clairvoyance we can only assume. If there is a large bloc of Americans voting for Trump for xenophobic or racist reasons, I imagine they would have voted against Obama in the last two elections for the same reasons. Yet Trump could, apparently, win more votes than either McCain or Romney. So have Americans become more racist, or are factors at play slightly more nunanced than that? Or both?

There are parallels with Brexit here. Had xenophobia not played any part in people's reasoning, Leave would never have won. But not all Leavers are racists. Is it fair to chastise those voting for Trump/Brexit for enabling that section of the electorate? Is that how democracy works?
    Jobs are still the number one concern for most voters in this election. The parallels are the blame of immagration/the poor for economic instability, rather than rich old white men. Not really a new argument, it is a narative that has suited a bunch of people and their mates to avoid paying a fair share/taking responsibility for a very long time. Now we are paying price as a society.

• edited November 2016
    bookies shortening odds on trump now 9/4 with clinton 1/3, the betting markets for this are huge skybet offering winners of each state etc.
  • Sponsored links:

• Wish I lived in a country with legal gambling. Would love to know what odds I could get on an accumulator of Clinton in New Hampshire, North Carolina, Florida, and Nevada right now.
  • SDAddick said:

Wish I lived in a country with legal gambling. Would love to know what odds I could get on an accumulator of Clinton in New Hampshire, North Carolina, Florida, and Nevada right now.

I think you'd get between 4/1 and 9/2 from rough calcs
  • SDAddick said:

Wish I lived in a country with legal gambling. Would love to know what odds I could get on an accumulator of Clinton in New Hampshire, North Carolina, Florida, and Nevada right now.

So do I wish you lived in a country with legal gambling - we're itching to get in there!!
  • Trump is ahead in Florida according to the polls.
  • Surely there's 2 people in America that aren't corrupt who could run for the Presidency.
  • Surely there's 2 people in America that aren't corrupt who could run for the Presidency.

You need to have a lot of money to run.
  • SDAddick said:

How much would you be prepared to bet? Transfer it into my account and I promise that I will put the bet on for you
  • SDAddick said:

Clinton in New Hampshire, North Carolina, Florida, and Nevada right now.

To save me from getting my abacus out, does Trump win the election if he wins these four states?
  • IA said:

SDAddick said:

Clinton in New Hampshire, North Carolina, Florida, and Nevada right now.

To save me from getting my abacus out, does Trump win the election if he wins these four states?
    No, he'd still have to win one of Pennsylvania, Michigan, or Wisconsin, plus a few other potential swing states.

@Todds_right_hook if you're not joking let me calculate what odds I could get and then I'll let you know.
  • Sponsored links:

• are you that Silver bloke?
  • Welcome back Blackpool 72.Now behave yourself

He's not, he's flagging my posts for spite.
  • limeygent said:

Leuth said:

@blackpool72 Why did you flag this?
  • I think Trumps wall is such a good idea he should extend it around the entire fucking country.

Land of the free my arse.

Flag that.

No! It's gonna be so hard for me to get out and it's so cold in the north of the country starting around now and I'm not very athletic.
  • I have a horrible feeling he's going to do it. Scary, scary, scary.