Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Will Trump become President?

Comments

• Trump's gone from 7/1 to 5/2 in a couple of weeks. What odds on this being the last Presidential election?
  • Huskaris said:

limeygent said:

I avoid this thread like the plague, makes my blood pressure skyrocket, and I don't have as much time as some to compose lengthy responses to opinions I consider flawed. I took a chance and checked it out this time because of recent events that could well change the outcome of the election now that it's become so close. The choice between “The Crude” and “The Crook” is coming down to the wire, and it's a brave person who would bet the family allowance on the outcome.
    I stopped participating in the this thread because my view was that of the minority, and I found that a civilized discussion was impossible, posters were so invested in their points of view that rather than discuss an opposing point of view they would ridicule and be insulting. Fair enough, if the opinions of a former South-East Londoner, who has now lived in the U.S. For 44 years have no value to others of a similar background, I am happy to let things play out and keep my opinions to myself.

What is not acceptable to me, and I would hope not acceptable to other posters on CL, is any post that singles out a group of people for insult, whether it be an ethnic group, a nationality or whatever else and calls them stupid. Aren't there always objections on the”Jokes” thread if there's a joke that singles out the “Irish” for instance? So having been here as long as I have, my family, my friends, and my work colleagues are all Americans. I will therefore press the abuse button any time I see a group of people insulted the way I did today, isn't that what the button is for?

Thats sad. But you are 100% correct.

The problem with a lot of the political discussions on here, is that those that are putting forward the merits of a non left wing scenario (even from a balanced neutral standpoint sometimes) will get mobbed by people on here who *know* they are right. It's like trying to convince Ned Flanders that god is a bit shit, but that person isn't necessarily as nice as good old Neddy :-(

A couple of the posters on here when a viewpoint they don't agree with comes up turn into complete arseholes, effectively belittling people for believing the *wrong* thing rather than discussing it. Oh, and refusing to accept any of your points, at all.

For me, it's the "I know better than you" attitude that had a lot to do with Brexit being successful, and if trump wins, that will have a lot to do with it too, there's probably more people that dislike being told they are wrong constantly and made to feel like idiots because of it, than there are racists and xenophobes.

It makes people a) less likely to admit who they will vote for when polled and b) more determined to go and vote on the day. Both increase turnout for the party portrayed as "the lessers" which for me sums Brexit up and *might* affect the USA (I'm no expert on American politics, unlike some of the people here who might have read a Guardian article or two, and can then tell you about how all your experiences of living there are completely wrong)

Then when the cause is lost, it's because of brainwashing and racism. Anything to avoid the horrors of democracy, but then some of them probably haven't ever won an argument other than in front of a computer screen, flanked on each side by a few others.

Don't let it get you down, I often have to talk to people outside of here to remind me I'm sane.
    You're wrong in so many levels.

So let's hear what they are.
  • has a good chance year of the underdog

brexit ( which was never going to happen)
    leicester ( were laughed at all season )
    trump ( discounted by many as an idiot,admitedly the competition isnt up to much )
  • has a good chance year of the underdog

brexit ( which was never going to happen)
    leicester ( were laughed at all season )
    trump ( discounted by many as an idiot,admitedly the competition isnt up to much )

Third time lucky
  • Huskaris said:

limeygent said:

I avoid this thread like the plague, makes my blood pressure skyrocket, and I don't have as much time as some to compose lengthy responses to opinions I consider flawed. I took a chance and checked it out this time because of recent events that could well change the outcome of the election now that it's become so close. The choice between “The Crude” and “The Crook” is coming down to the wire, and it's a brave person who would bet the family allowance on the outcome.
    I stopped participating in the this thread because my view was that of the minority, and I found that a civilized discussion was impossible, posters were so invested in their points of view that rather than discuss an opposing point of view they would ridicule and be insulting. Fair enough, if the opinions of a former South-East Londoner, who has now lived in the U.S. For 44 years have no value to others of a similar background, I am happy to let things play out and keep my opinions to myself.

What is not acceptable to me, and I would hope not acceptable to other posters on CL, is any post that singles out a group of people for insult, whether it be an ethnic group, a nationality or whatever else and calls them stupid. Aren't there always objections on the”Jokes” thread if there's a joke that singles out the “Irish” for instance? So having been here as long as I have, my family, my friends, and my work colleagues are all Americans. I will therefore press the abuse button any time I see a group of people insulted the way I did today, isn't that what the button is for?

The problem with a lot of the political discussions on here, is that those that are putting forward the merits of a non left wing scenario (even from a balanced neutral standpoint sometimes) will get mobbed by people on here who *know* they are right. It's like trying to convince Ned Flanders that god is a bit shit, but that person isn't necessarily as nice as good old Neddy :-(

A couple of the posters on here when a viewpoint they don't agree with comes up turn into complete arseholes, effectively belittling people for believing the *wrong* thing rather than discussing it. Oh, and refusing to accept any of your points, at all.

For me, it's the "I know better than you" attitude that had a lot to do with Brexit being successful, and if trump wins, that will have a lot to do with it too, there's probably more people that dislike being told they are wrong constantly and made to feel like idiots because of it, than there are racists and xenophobes.

It makes people a) less likely to admit who they will vote for when polled and b) more determined to go and vote on the day. Both increase turnout for the party portrayed as "the lessers" which for me sums Brexit up and *might* affect the USA (I'm no expert on American politics, unlike some of the people here who might have read a Guardian article or two, and can then tell you about how all your experiences of living there are completely wrong)

Then when the cause is lost, it's because of brainwashing and racism. Anything to avoid the horrors of democracy, but then some of them probably haven't ever won an argument other than in front of a computer screen, flanked on each side by a few others.

Don't let it get you down, I often have to talk to people outside of here to remind me I'm sane.
    Presumably I'm one of the rabid brainless pro-Killary drones to which you refer.

I've been following this election very closely on a predominantly American webforum for several months now. I'm extremely well-acquainted with what each of these candidates is about.

Trump is no analogue for Brexit. He is a deeply incompetent, narcissistic, evil man. His presence in a Presidential race is an abomination. I could list fifty reasons why, but the words 'racist fascist vindictive self-worshipping small-minded angry senile sex-offender with no grasp on actual policy' ought to do for now.

Your call for even-handedness is as much of a farce as this election.
  • Leuth said:

Huskaris said:

limeygent said:

Presumably I'm one of the rabid brainless pro-Killary drones to which you refer.

I've been following this election very closely on a predominantly American webforum for several months now. I'm extremely well-acquainted with what each of these candidates is about.

Trump is no analogue for Brexit. He is a deeply incompetent, narcissistic, evil man. His presence in a Presidential race is an abomination. I could list fifty reasons why, but the words 'racist fascist vindictive self-worshipping small-minded angry senile sex-offender with no grasp on actual policy' ought to do for now.

Q.E.D.
  • edited November 2016
    Huskaris said:

Leuth said:

Huskaris said:

limeygent said:

I avoid this thread like the plague, makes my blood pressure skyrocket, and I don't have as much time as some to compose lengthy responses to opinions I consider flawed. I took a chance and checked it out this time because of recettnt events that could well change the outcome of the election now that it's become so close. The choice between “The Crude” and “The Crook” is coming down to the wire, and it's a brave person who would bet the family allowance on the outcome.

Someone could go on the exact same diatribe about Clinton, and also believe they are correct, but I would suggest most of them would be less insufferable in putting across their point. Like I said, the difference between believing you are right and *knowing* you are right, is what turns a two way discussion/debate into someone that just isn't worth discussing with.

I haven't really clashed with anyone on this thread because I don't really subscribe one way or the other, I know there are implications for the UK and wider world but I am more of a spectator than a participant in anything to do with it, its just the way some people are on here, and the way they talk to people with beliefs that differ from there's, is pathetic and childish.
    I agree entirely. There's a very dismissive - and perhaps even offensive - element in all of these discussions. It's disruptive and really isn't conductive to a decent discussion. In fact it's simply downright immature; I'm fairly certain children who learn to debate at school are above the level of some of the discourse that these political discussions bring out.

The simple fact of the matter is nobody is right, but everyone has an opinion. There are a few posters here who have put their points across very well, but they do so on the understanding that if they're not providing a fact, then they're providing an opinion. Sadly, the ability to differentiate between fact and opinion is quite clearly a difficult endeavour for others.

I don't particularly think either side of the discussion looks that bright at the moment.
  • Sponsored links:

• How could Trump be expected to grasp anything with his tiny little hands?
  • Huskaris said:

limeygent said:

Wow. I so agree. I reckon Brexit probably happened because of the CL Brexit thread.
  • IA said:

How could Trump be expected to grasp anything with his tiny little hands?

Stop dragging this debate down to your vulgarian level.
  • I think he's going to do it.
  • Leuth said:

I'm perfectly content to be cordial, self-doubting and open-minded on the Brexit thread. This is a different beast, though. There is no argument for Trump. Not one.

This is the bottom line, for me. I can absolutely understand why some people may not want to vote for Hilary, she is a long way from the perfect Democrat candidate, but holy shit - Trump! I mean... Trump... ffs! I just cannot fathom how anyone can see him as anything but utterly, utterly unelectable.
  • The similarities between this vote and Brexit are really astounding. Luckily theres the weird college votes thing (270) that should mean Trump misses out.
  • Sponsored links:

• The race is certainly tightening up if you believe the Polls. The way the electoral college works seems to favour Clinton but a number of states are now in the "Toss Up" category. With all of Clinton's issues I can't help feeling that if the Republicans had nominated a more "normal" candidate such as Rubio or Kasich they would probably end up winning. Looks like being a long night but I fancy that Clinton will scrape home and although she undoubtably has her faults she surely has to be better than Trump in the long run.
  • philcafc said:

The race is certainly tightening up if you believe the Polls. The way the electoral college works seems to favour Clinton but a number of states are now in the "Toss Up" category. With all of Clinton's issues I can't help feeling that if the Republicans had nominated a more "normal" candidate such as Rubio or Kasich they would probably end up winning. Looks like being a long night but I fancy that Clinton will scrape home and although she undoubtably has her faults she surely has to be better than Trump in the long run.

Likewise if the Democrats had put forward pretty much anyone but Clinton, it would be over by now.

South Park's satire of this election race has it about right when it named the candidates Giant Douche and Turd-Sandwich.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlqKFlU7YAs

• Radio4 ... apt quote from a young American voter .. 'depends on which rat you most want to win in a rat race'
  • limeygent said:

Yet presumably you find it acceptable, at least enough to vote for him, that Trump singles out Muslims and Mexicans as reasons for most of America's ills and also holds some pretty distasteful views about Women?
    To be fair to Limey, he has only said it will be a difficult decision for people on both sides of the aisle.

But this is, sort of bizarrely for two such unpopular candidates, an election about personalities because one candidate doesn't have policies. His healthcare policy is "everyone will buy healthcare for themselves," which would explode our healthcare system (that is already broken). His economic policy has been decried in the (Murdoch owned) Wall Street Journal by eight economic laureates. His foreign policy plan is "we're going to defeat ISIS but we're not going to tell you how." On jobs, he's said "we're going to bring manufacturing jobs back from China" which is 1) impossible and 2) would raise costs ridiculously.

I would love to discuss jobs programs or tax policy (....just me then? Alright). I didn't agree with Mitt Romney's policies, but he had policies. Likewise McCain and Dick Cheney Karl Rove George W. Bush. So instead we have Trump and what he's said, and it's meant that we don't have meaningful dialogue about this election of what we want from Government (this is not new in the US).
  • limeygent said:

limeygent said:

Yet presumably you find it acceptable, at least enough to vote for him, that Trump singles out Muslims and Mexicans as reasons for most of America's ills and also holds some pretty distasteful views about Women?
    You are putting words in my mouth, that's not acceptable either. I don't condone a lot of what Trump has said or done, but we can't survive another 4 years of Obama's policies which is what we would get with the corrupt Clinton. Obviously. if either party had nominated a more ordinary candidate the election would be settled by now. We have a 20 trillion dollar deficit, growing (I am told) by 1.4 billion dollars a day. More of the same won't fix that, Clinton will be more of the same. Washington needs a shake-up, that's why Trump was nominated and that's why people who don't particularly like him, or even dislike him, have and will vote for him. The voters see the graft and "pay for play" that goes on in Washington, I see it first hand as I live in the area. When I see Clinton on TV I want to throw a brick through it, she provokes that response in many, including Democrats. We will see how the latest investigation of her by the FBI plays out, it's not just a Republican tactic, and if the DOJ weren't corrupt she'd likely be in jail already. Trying times here.
    For what?
  • From Obama to Trump. Doesn't bear thinking about.
  • What would Trump do to save America?
  • edited November 2016
    limeygent said:

limeygent said:

You are putting words in my mouth, that's not acceptable either. I don't condone a lot of what Trump has said or done, but we can't survive another 4 years of Obama's policies which is what we would get with the corrupt Clinton. Obviously. if either party had nominated a more ordinary candidate the election would be settled by now. We have a 20 trillion dollar deficit, growing (I am told) by 1.4 billion dollars a day. More of the same won't fix that, Clinton will be more of the same. Washington needs a shake-up, that's why Trump was nominated and that's why people who don't particularly like him, or even dislike him, have and will vote for him. The voters see the graft and "pay for play" that goes on in Washington, I see it first hand as I live in the area. When I see Clinton on TV I want to throw a brick through it, she provokes that response in many, including Democrats. We will see how the latest investigation of her by the FBI plays out, it's not just a Republican tactic, and if the DOJ weren't corrupt she'd likely be in jail already. Trying times here.
    Corrupt ? All you are doing is spout the Trump line without giving thought to how exactly she is "corrupt"

Do you know something that everyone else doesn't or just toeing the party line ?
  • edited November 2016
    limeygent said:

limeygent said:

That is hyperbole and a bit of a silly statement. Will it be the best 4 years in the country's history? Probably not, but I strongly suspect there will still be a USA in 2020 and it won't have descended into outright anarchy.

Rapidly rising national debt is a problem facing most countries in the developed world, its certainly not something the US is going through alone and I just don't get the idea that Trump, a man who can't even keep his own businesses solvent, is the hero the world needs who will find a way to fix it all.

I share the desire for a mix-up of the political system, but a vote for Trump is still a vote for the Republicans, the other of two Old Firm in US politics. A vote will Trump will change nothing about the political system which is the real evil.

And most of all, the man is a swivel-eyed loon. To me he is a symptom of the utterly dysfunctional US electoral system, not a solution.