Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Will Trump become President?

Comments

• The Mexican Wall might or might not actually happen but, whatever, it stands as a metaphor for all that Trump represents.

One can only hope that the businessman in him takes over and that he does see the need for compromise.

Trump is a failed businessman given all his bankruptcies - he is a terrifying character.
    The man has a habit of walking away from his debts. He has now been put in charge of the largest debtor on the planet. Maybe I'm just cynical but I've got a feeling about how this might play out.
  • Wow. Just when you think Americans can't get any more stupid...
  • Morning all,
    Did I miss much, wait what, TRUMP? But all the experts on CL wrote 60 odd pages on how he can't possibly win.

Guess we underestimated how many folk like you there are in the world. A triumph of hope over humanity.
  • More to this yet
  • BBC reporter question why a fella from Muslims For Trump supports Trump. Just do your job and interview the geezer about the election ffs
  • Sponsored links:

• cabbles said:

Fucking hell, waking up to the news we're out the Checkatrade after losing on penalties to Colchester. The world has changed forever in my opinion

Good to see a bit of balance on the site. Easy to get carried away with the impact on Toblerone and miss the bigger picture.

I'm afraid my default position is humour when I'm absolutely petrified.
  • @TelMc32 no bother about the grammar it's early and no coffee yet, no issue with people having an opinion but why are they labelled idiots the same as brexit voters.

Because the left are shitting themselves the realisation that us regular hard working, working class folk want and will get change is frightening to them and what do they do when they shit themselves and don't know what to say? They call names
    The Labour movement that gave a meaningful voice to left wing politics was all about working class folk fighting for change in their favour. Why would I, as a person whose political stance is generally left of centre, be scared of working class folk? I am one myself, as is my wife and all our family.

What I'm scared of is a world where people think that foreigners and ethnic minorities are all to blame for their problems and then vote for millionaires who've never done a hard days work in their life because they've swallowed the hate filled lies, and over simplistic solutions that have been spat at them with barely disguised disdain by yet another bunch of self serving politicians who are using the people to get what serves them best, not what serves the people best.
    This is just it though, labour is not for the working class. Not even close. They scream racist every time you bring up a genuine immigration related concern. I'm not silly enough to think that immigration is the cause of all problems, but it is a problem, I see it first hand quite often people being undercut for ridiculous prices from cheap Romanian work forces etc. Doesn't mean I want them sent home, just want things tightened up.

The left claim to be for the little people but when we've stood up to be counted and voted for change (brexit) labour cronies and other leftie, are trying to block it.

On my site, I don't know a single person whose voted for Labour, all ukip or Tory. Labour and the left don't represent the working class people one bit as far as i see it.
    And how has two terms of Tory government been working out for you? Feeling richer?

Mainstream politics has left the working classes behind, I don't disagree. the left has lost site of its roots and the right has never really been for the good of all. The growth in the gap between the haves and the have nots has continued under successive governments - New Labour, Lib Con coalition, Conservative. All three have failed to stop the trend.

I was against Brexit but it made more sense as a protest vote, even if I believe it will back fire on the very people who most hope it will change their lot in life. As I said above, my dislike for Trump is not about his right wing policies, not that I'd be a fan of them in al honesty, but it's about his social attitudes and it upsets me that so many people don't care more aboutbthatbside of things. Just like it upsets me that Brexit was used by some people as an excuse for racist behaviour that blackens the name of my country, of which I am proud.
  • @TelMc32 no bother about the grammar it's early and no coffee yet, no issue with people having an opinion but why are they labelled idiots the same as brexit voters.

Because the left are shitting themselves the realisation that us regular hard working, working class folk want and will get change is frightening to them and what do they do when they shit themselves and don't know what to say? They call names
    The Labour movement that gave a meaningful voice to left wing politics was all about working class folk fighting for change in their favour. Why would I, as a person whose political stance is generally left of centre, be scared of working class folk? I am one myself, as is my wife and all our family.

What I'm scared of is a world where people think that foreigners and ethnic minorities are all to blame for their problems and then vote for millionaires who've never done a hard days work in their life because they've swallowed the hate filled lies, and over simplistic solutions that have been spat at them with barely disguised disdain by yet another bunch of self serving politicians who are using the people to get what serves them best, not what serves the people best.
    This is just it though, labour is not for the working class. Not even close. They scream racist every time you bring up a genuine immigration related concern. I'm not silly enough to think that immigration is the cause of all problems, but it is a problem, I see it first hand quite often people being undercut for ridiculous prices from cheap Romanian work forces etc. Doesn't mean I want them sent home, just want things tightened up.

The left claim to be for the little people but when we've stood up to be counted and voted for change (brexit) labour cronies and other leftie, are trying to block it.

On my site, I don't know a single person whose voted for Labour, all ukip or Tory. Labour and the left don't represent the working class people one bit as far as i see it.
    Just for you @Greenie Junior - i think you can improve your position here. The left broadly speaking sees the workers as driving change through for the common good. That is all workers, not just manual workers, on sites or in factories. If you call yourself a worker but not a friend of the left then youre in some kind of no man's land, or syndicate, or prefer the status quo, or in bed with the boss or now and again the odd dangerous reactionary like a farage or trump.
    This is one way to think of 'the left', what it means and how it takes shape in different societies and at different times. Hope that helps. ;)
  • LuckyReds said:

@TelMc32 no bother about the grammar it's early and no coffee yet, no issue with people having an opinion but why are they labelled idiots the same as brexit voters.

And the left needs to take some responsibility for Brexit (and in the US, Trump) because of this.

What on earth do you think happens when the party that's meant to be looking out for a specific part of society decides it doesn't give a crap about them anymore? That part of society gets angry, and they bottle it up.

What on earth do you think happens when people feel afraid to have "difficult discussions" in case they get called a racist bigot? They get angry, and they bottle it up.

Or what about those who don't live in the city, and live in dead end rural areas where there are no jobs, they don't feel particularly looked after by Westminster (or Washington) and feel fed up with voting every year and seeing no change? They look for anyone who is going to make a change, someone to shake things up.

Then what do you think happens when a chap like Farage (or Trump) comes along and says he doesn't care about that crap, he's straight talking and he's telling you that he's going to sort it all out? He doesn't give a lot of substance mind you, but he says everything "is going to be great, real great"! This guy is exactly what you need!

Rather than acting surprised by the presence of a silent majority, perhaps it should be asked why they're silent? Why don't people feel comfortable voicing their views? (I'll give you a tip, if you're going to say "because they're racist" then look in the mirror.)
    Said it so much better than I ever could. Spot on
  • SDAddick said:

On a personal note, it is possible that if Trump and the Republican congress go through with what they promised, and repeal Obamacare, I will no longer have health insurance as I currently get my insurance from the health exchanges. I have a couple of chronic conditions which, if not treated, would drastically decrease my quality of life almost to the point of not being able to function.

I suspect, maybe hope, that I will be one of the lucky ones and that the state I live in now (Oregon) or will live in (California) will find ways to bridge the gap. But healthcare in this country is already VERY expensive, and without the even very modest regulations Obamacare provides, I fear that those costs will only skyrocket. As it is a disproportionate amount of my paycheck over the last 2-3 years has gone on healthcare, and that could increase. At this point I can afford it, but in future, I don't know.

So that is where I find myself.

I'm genuinely sorry to hear that, mate. I can't imagine having to fund my own healthcare, having seen how much the medications I've been on have cost.. Well, I'd have been screwed. It baffles me how healthcare works in the US.

Also, it was a really classy post you made a few pages back about waking up to the same America tomorrow. I put off my rant above after seeing that to be entirely honest.

In my mind the US, like the UK, is far too polarised at the moment. I've given my views over the reasons above, primarily people bottling anger up and a real lack of open confrontation to the views that precipitate that anger. Unfortunately that leads people to extremes, and it's going to be genuinely sensible policies that suffer apparently.

I hope you get some luck, and the realisation that Obamacare is needed hits home before Jan.
  • In the hour since I started watching again, absolutely nothing has happened other that the Democrats going home? Has it been like this all night? These pundits have plenty of stamina. How long can they talk about nothing in particular?
  • cabbles said:

Fucking hell, waking up to the news we're out the Checkatrade after losing on penalties to Colchester. The world has changed forever in my opinion

Good to see a bit of balance on the site. Easy to get carried away with the impact on Toblerone and miss the bigger picture.

I'm afraid my default position is humour when I'm absolutely petrified.
    I'm sure the reduction in the amount of chocolate in Toblerone is a concern but there is no need to be petrified.
  • Chizz said:

People using the #prayfortheusa find that quite bad taste as its usually used in terms of death and world disaster

Well....

but no one has died, its a shock and thats it for the time being.
  • In the hour since I started watching again, absolutely nothing has happened other that the Democrats going home? Has it been like this all night? These pundits have plenty of stamina. How long can they talk about nothing in particular?

I tried to get some sleep at 0545, gave up an hour later, and the tally was exactly the same. No idea what they were doing during that hour.
  • Well lads, the answer to the original question is apparently yes............. I'd be lying if I said I haven't cried at all tonight
  • Sponsored links:

And how has two terms of Tory government been working out for you? Feeling richer?

Mainstream politics has left the working classes behind, I don't disagree. the left has lost site of its roots and the right has never really been for the good of all. The growth in the gap between the haves and the have nots has continued under successive governments - New Labour, Lib Con coalition, Conservative. All three have failed to stop the trend.

I was against Brexit but it made more sense as a protest vote, even if I believe it will back fire on the very people who most hope it will change their lot in life. As I said above, my dislike for Trump is not about his right wing policies, not that I'd be a fan of them in al honesty, but it's about his social attitudes and it upsets me that so many people don't care more aboutbthatbside of things. Just like it upsets me that Brexit was used by some people as an excuse for racist behaviour that blackens the name of my country, of which I am proud.
    I am, a lot richer. I've never ever been out of work under Tory government, my industry is booming and is only getting stronger.

Don't get me wrong I understand your point on trump, I'm glad he's not running over here cos he's a div, but he's the people's div. he's given a lot of people a lot of hope. Whether it comes to fruition I don't know. Yes people will vote for him and use it as an excuse for racist behaviour but you will always get things like that happening in any situation, it's the human race, unfortunately. People will hide their agendas with smoke screens.

World politics needs a big shake up, this, I feel, is undeniable and it looks like it's going to happen.
  • LuckyReds said:

@TelMc32 no bother about the grammar it's early and no coffee yet, no issue with people having an opinion but why are they labelled idiots the same as brexit voters.

And the left needs to take some responsibility for Brexit (and in the US, Trump) because of this.

What on earth do you think happens when the party that's meant to be looking out for a specific part of society decides it doesn't give a crap about them anymore? That part of society gets angry, and they bottle it up.

What on earth do you think happens when people feel afraid to have "difficult discussions" in case they get called a racist bigot? They get angry, and they bottle it up.

Or what about those who don't live in the city, and live in dead end rural areas where there are no jobs, they don't feel particularly looked after by Westminster (or Washington) and feel fed up with voting every year and seeing no change? They look for anyone who is going to make a change, someone to shake things up.

Then what do you think happens when a chap like Farage (or Trump) comes along and says he doesn't care about that crap, he's straight talking and he's telling you that he's going to sort it all out? He doesn't give a lot of substance mind you, but he says everything "is going to be great, real great"! This guy is exactly what you need!

Rather than acting surprised by the presence of a silent majority, perhaps it should be asked why they're silent? Why don't people feel comfortable voicing their views? (I'll give you a tip, if you're going to say "because they're racist" then look in the mirror.)
    All fair enough, but as a member of the silent majority you still have responsibility to think about the consequences of your lashing out against the system, because otherwise, one day, somewhere, the silent majority will vote in a genuine despot and who knows where that might end.
  • edited November 2016
    LuckyReds said:

One hundred percent. Brilliant comment. It's this very reason I do not use twitter/Facebook. They are left wing safe spaces.
  • LuckyReds said:

All fair enough, but as a member of the silent majority you still have responsibility to think about the consequences of your lashing out against the system, because otherwise, one day, somewhere, the silent majority will vote in a genuine despot and who knows where that might end.
    This is so patronising haha, do you genuinely think that just because people want change that the majority just vote without researching?? Ffs
  • edited November 2016

I am, a lot richer. I've never ever been out of work under Tory government, my industry is booming and is only getting stronger.

Don't get me wrong I understand your point on trump, I'm glad he's not running over here cos he's a div, but he's the people's div. he's given a lot of people a lot of hope. Whether it comes to fruition I don't know. Yes people will vote for him and use it as an excuse for racist behaviour but you will always get things like that happening in any situation, it's the human race, unfortunately. People will hide their agendas with smoke screens.

World politics needs a big shake up, this, I feel, is undeniable and it looks like it's going to happen.
    Your industry's booming? I thought the fucking gyppo c*nts from Romania, the Slavs, the f*cking Eastern Menace had decimated it? At least you're getting political representation from men of the f*cking people Farage and Trump, men of great conscience and notions of social equality. What sort of shakeup did you have in mind? Death camps for Muslims?