Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Explosion at Brussels airport

edited March 2016 in Not Sports Related

Comments

• at an AA check-in desk apparently.

cowards.
  • This incident has nothing whatsoever to do with religion or those that follow religion.

No siree.
  • edited March 2016
  • edited March 2016
    My thoughts are with those affected, and I hope - albeit without much expectation - that this was genuinely an accident.

Brussels has many social problems, as does Belgium in general. It's taken the Paris attacks for them to have been put under the spotlight though. If this is as a terrorist attack then something genuinely needs to change, be that social campaigns aimed at improving inclusion and cohesion or zero tolerance and the ability to deal with problems with a stricter judicial process. I guess now isn't an appropriate time to discuss politics though.
  • edited March 2016
    BBC Apologies it was an Independent newspaper reporter on the BBC saying no-one is sure whats happening, she was 'live' on TV as she was being told to evacuate after being told originally to stay in the terminal. She also reported that staff were saying they didn't know what to do as "this hasn't happened before"...you would have thought there would have been training sessions for something like this surely!!! I hope everyone is safe and that no-one lost their life. Makes my blood boil....if it was a bomb of course.......bloody cowards!!!
  • Also last night there was a terrorist attack on an EU training camp in Bamako in Mali. They attacked the hotel where the personnel were staying.
  • Now reporting several people have been injured.....hope they are not to bad.
  • edited March 2016

Now reporting several people have been injured.....hope they are not to bad.

Updated to 11 Dead and 30 Injured according to twitter? This is when the rumour mill will go in to overdrive I guess...

I agree with your previous post though, the airport staff have shown to have been woefully unprepared. A complete lack of security personnel according to witnesses too.

Edit: Fatalities confirmed.

• Latest pictures show wrecked departure lounge....how very very sad
  • Sponsored links:

• I hope there are as few injuries as posible, and no deaths, but this doesn't sound good.
  • Lots of pictures on Twitter of injured people, most walking wounded. I wont post them because I actually find them pretty disrespectful and I'm not sure why anyone would want to see them to be quite honest.

• On top of the arrest last Friday this is no coincidence. Thoughts with those affected. Just awful.
  • From Twitter-:

Local media reporting that firemen found other unexploded bombs, federal police confirm at lest one dead at #Brussels airport

• From Twitter-:

Local media reporting that firemen found other unexploded bombs, federal police confirm at lest one dead at #Brussels airport

Another dark day for society.
  • LuckyReds said:

From Twitter-:

More a dark day for a certain section of society.

Most of society will pull together and show togetherness. A smal minority will continue to shout loudly until such a time that they are eradicated from the face of the planet.

Sad but true.
    To an extent.

I take a pretty hard line on these issues, but I still believe other parts of society should also take responsibility for the fact that a small minority are able to recruit and turn previously uninvolved individuals. There needs to be greater social inclusion - something which is apparently lacking in Belgium - until that happens there will always be individuals who can be brainwashed by true evil.
  • smiffyboy said:

Looks quite bad, I wonder if this is related to the recent arrest of the Paris bombings ring leader, hopefully there's not too many casualties.

Makes you wonder if he's had a say in this... i.e. He probably always knew that he'd be captured so set a plan in motion so that when he was eventually caught, an event in retaliation would go off a short while later.
  • Latest unconfirmed reports saying shots were fired before the explosions, Belgium has raised its terror level to 'Maximum' with immediate effect.
    Now reported all this happened before they got to any security checks. Maybe at check-in?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited March 2016
    Knew it wouldn't be too long before something like this.

Thoughts with those affected. Let's hope that the scum responsible are caught.
  • edited March 2016
    se9addick said:

This incident has nothing whatsoever to do with religion or those that follow religion.

No siree.

LuckyReds said:

From Twitter-:

More a dark day for a certain section of society.

Most of society will pull together and show togetherness. A smal minority will continue to shout loudly until such a time that they are eradicated from the face of the planet.

Sad but true.
    I'm detecting a theme in your posts and it isn't one that has shown any condolence to the people affected, in either of your two posts on the subject.

RIP to those killed, I hope the Belgian police get their act together and find those responsible.
    Your spidey senses seem to be in tip top form. However, condolences to those affected are a given in these situations.

You've chosen to post condolences wheras I've posted about the common denominator in all of these tragedies that a lot of people feel uincomfortable highlighting for a multitude of strange reasons.

Each to their own, old chap.

Purely for peace of mind, as wont be able to get a good nights sleep without knowing your stance on this, what part of either of my posts is untrue?
  • edited March 2016
    Another explosion at Brussels Metro station!!
  • Explosion reported at a Metro Station near to the EU buildings.
  • Another explosion in city centre.