Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Explosion at Brussels airport

Comments

• Options
    Chizz said:

Jdredsox said:

Just taken this from the Live Updates on the BBC Website.

Small blasts near Maalbeek station 'part of controlled explosion of package'

French newspaper Le Soir reports that a number of small blasts heard on the Rue de la Loi, the location of Maelbeek metro station, were part of a controlled explosion of a suspect package.

So does this mean that there was no terrorist explosion at the Station and that it was all under control there or does it mean that another package was found at the station and that was destroyed in a controlled explosion?

There was a blast at Maelbeek, there was also a suspect package which was dealt with as reported by Le Soir. I've been disappointed with BBC's coverage today.

Thank you to all those who have posted messages of concern. I've heard from one family member who is ok, still trying to contact others.
    RT are reporting that a lot of communications lines are down, so the best way to stay in touch is via SMS or social media. There is also a UK phone number available. Good luck.
    Thanks, they aren't very good at social media or SMS which is delaying me getting news and I think the uk number may be in relation to uk nationals but I will check it out. Thanks again.
  • Options
    I hate the world sometimes.
  • Options
    edited March 2016

cafctom said:

Chizz said:

the ira want independance of ireland, wrongully or rightfully not the time for a loyalism row.

these people want what exactly?, world domination of islam?

there not similar at all, so impossible to compare

in the last 15 years how many non-islam terrorist attacks have there been?.

I don't have the figures for the last fifteen years, but do have them for 1980-2005, in the US.

Latino 42%
    Extreme Left-wing groups 24%
    "Others" 16%
    Jewish extremists 7%
    Islamic extremists 6%
    Communists 5%

So, there you have it - in 25 years in the US, 94% of terrorist attacks are not related to Islam.
    Extremely misleading, considering the significance and devastation of those attacks by other groups are absolutely dwarfed by 9/11 alone.
    Agreed - id also guess (perhaps wrongly!?) that a lot of the atrocities committed by the non-Islamic groups (not inc the IRA) were committed by lone wolf nutters, as opposed to the literally hundreds thousands of active (and rising) professional, funded and expert Islamic terrorist cells dotted all over the world.
  • Options
    edited March 2016

cafctom said:

Chizz said:

the ira want independance of ireland, wrongully or rightfully not the time for a loyalism row.

I don't have the figures for the last fifteen years, but do have them for 1980-2005, in the US.

Latino 42%
    "Others" 16%
    Jewish extremists 7%
    Islamic extremists 6%
    Communists 5%

So, there you have it - in 25 years in the US, 94% of terrorist attacks are not related to Islam.
    Extremely misleading, considering the significance and devastation of those attacks by other groups are absolutely dwarfed by 9/11 alone.
    Agreed - id also guess (perhaps wrongly!?) that a lot of the atrocities committed by the non-Islamic groups (not inc the IRA) were committed by lone wolf nutters, as opposed to the literally hundreds thousands of active (and rising) professional, funded and expert Islamic terrorist cells dotted all over the world.
    Strangely none of the Islamic based terrorist groups support each other. Instead they're just out of hand 'gangs' almost.

I remember hearing recently that Al Qaeda are hunting down ISIS groups as they disagree with the way ISIS are doing things.
  • Options
    ;
    Dazzler21 said:

cafctom said:

Chizz said:

Latino 42%
    "Others" 16%
    Jewish extremists 7%
    Islamic extremists 6%
    Communists 5%

Strangely none of the Islamic based terrorist groups support each other. Instead they're just out of hand 'gangs' almost.

I remember hearing recently that Al Qaeda are hunting down ISIS groups as they disagree with the way ISIS are doing things.
    Where did you hear that?
  • Options

@PragueAddick

I have to disagree with your analysis of the IRA operatives in the 70s/80s - whilst I am sure there were an element of psychopaths - there were also people like Martin McGuinness, Gerry Adams and Gerry Kelly and others who were very, very smart operators - just look where they ended up at the end of the conflict - in power.

In addition I am always baffled by religion brought into the Northern Ireland conflict when it really had very little to do with it.

The conflict was about power and land - the fact that the Loyalists were Protestant and the Nationalists were Catholic was largely incidental to proceedings - the Nationalists wanted the 'British' Loyalists out of "their" country - that was their motivation way in front of religion.

This is why the conflict was eventually able to be settled because the Nationalists were able to be accommodated into a new power sharing arrangement that addressed at least some of their grievances.

That's very different to this bunch of Islamic nutters because nobody really knows what their end goal is - least of all themselves in all likelihood.

This guys were not whom I meant by "operatives".

But I take the rest of your points.

And I also accept that this probably isn't the time and place, I was only seeking to counter the inevitable wave of Islam-bashing on the thread.
    Indeed - that's fair enough.

However, as someone who has studied the NI conflict at some length, what I found most extraordinary about the conflict was the way in which very intelligent - and relatively normal - people would actually commit the most sickening crimes.

Someone like, for example, Brendan Hughes on the Nationalist side or David Irvine on the Loyalist side could both sit in front of a camera and be warm, charming and engaging - and yet these folks had plenty of innocent blood on their hands.

Human beings are very, very peculiar creatures indeed.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

cafctom said:

Chizz said:

Latino 42%
    "Others" 16%
    Jewish extremists 7%
    Islamic extremists 6%
    Communists 5%

Okay, so the vast majority of these islamist groups/gangs (Some with 100,000 members and upwards) want us all dead, but they don't agree on the best way to go about it.
  • Options

cafctom said:

Chizz said:

Latino 42%
    "Others" 16%
    Jewish extremists 7%
    Islamic extremists 6%
    Communists 5%

Agreed - id also guess (perhaps wrongly!?) that a lot of the atrocities committed by the non-Islamic groups (not inc the IRA) were committed by lone wolf nutters, as opposed to the literally hundreds of active (and rising) professional, funded and expert Islamic terrorist cells dotted all over the world.
    Wooooooooowwwwww

- "non-Islamic groups, not including one of the biggest and most prolific non-Islamic terrorist groups that's existed" fucking lol that's like saying "not including Da'esh/Al-Qaida"

- you appear to imply that "lone wolf nutters" aren't as significant as organised movements. I'm sure those affected by what happened on Utoya would disagree.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Dazzler21 said:

cafctom said:

Chizz said:

Latino 42%
    "Others" 16%
    Jewish extremists 7%
    Islamic extremists 6%
    Communists 5%

Okay, so the vast majority of these islamist groups/gangs (Some with 100,000 members and upwards) want us all dead, but they don't agree on the best way to go about it.
    Whats stupid is they must have killed their own people in these Brussels / Paris attacks...
  • Options

Dazzler21 said:

cafctom said:

Chizz said:

Latino 42%
    "Others" 16%
    Jewish extremists 7%
    Islamic extremists 6%
    Communists 5%

Whats stupid is they must have killed their own people in these Brussels / Paris attacks...
    Absolutely, especially as one of the bombs appears to have been strapped to one of their backs
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Jarman said:

;

Dazzler21 said:

cafctom said:

Chizz said:

Latino 42%
    "Others" 16%
    Jewish extremists 7%
    Islamic extremists 6%
    Communists 5%

Where did you hear that?
    One instance was the burning of the Jordanian pilot who was shot down over Syria. Al Qaeda took a very strong stance that this punishment wasn't Islamic, in fact Al Qaeda had already tried to negotiate with ISIS to get them to release the pilot. (Part of the disagreement)

Otherwise, they've continually had a bit of a power struggle and fight for the same type of recruits - i.e http://nationalinterest.org/feature/isiss-fight-al-qaeda-making-both-stronger-14827 // http://observer.com/2015/11/the-uncivil-war-the-bloody-battle-between-isis-and-al-qaeda/ - they are in no means allies. Much like many of groups fighting in the middle east who have their own agenda and interests.
  • Options
    Jdredsox said:

Family ok. Thanks again everyone.

@Jarman sorry for snapping at you when emotions were running high.

Pleased to hear that, no sweat mate.
  • Options
    @Jdredsox good to hear mate, you must be very relieved
  • Options

Just to update you.
    Killersbeard is there but is safe.

Good news as well.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I really don't understand how people can claim these attacks are "nothing to do with Islam", thus absolving this barbaric religion of any responsibility when these bombers are shouting "Allah Akbar" before murdering tens of people.

And people pray before going to war... You can't have it both ways
  • Options

shine166 said:

This is nothing to do with Islam, these people are fucking mentalists

Christianity doesn't get the blame when America is dropping bombs on schools

Do you think these animals would still be committing such acts if it wasn't for Islam?

Yes... Because even without Islam, we would still be blowing up kids in Syria/Iraq
  • Options
    shine166 said:

I really don't understand how people can claim these attacks are "nothing to do with Islam", thus absolving this barbaric religion of any responsibility when these bombers are shouting "Allah Akbar" before murdering tens of people.

It could be argued that those who pray before going to war, are indeed going to war for the greater good, because they believe in the mission they are embarking upon is to help many by stopping the few.

There is a great difference between that and those who are mindlessly killing innocent civilians.
  • Options
    shine166 said:

shine166 said:

Do you think these animals would still be committing such acts if it wasn't for Islam?

Yes... Because even without Islam, we would still be blowing up kids in Syria/Iraq
    Better step it up then
  • Options
    Jarman said:

shine166 said:

It could be argued that those who pray before going to war, are indeed going to war for the greater good, because they believe in the mission they are embarking upon is to help many by stopping the few.

There is a great difference between that and those who are mindlessly killing innocent civilians.

Ok then, how many terror attacks in Europe before we invaded Iraq ?
  • Options

shine166 said:

shine166 said:

Better step it up then
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

I'm going to presume you're referring to my post.

I didn't say they're nothing to do with Islam. In fact, they're everything to do with Islam, but they're not representative of Muslims as a whole.

I just think some people - including yourself - lose sight of that and become unable to distinguish between Islam and extremist fucknuts, if they're referring to Islam as a "barbaric religion"...
    I would imagine he was refering to Shine's post.