Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Explosion at Brussels airport

Comments

• Options
    Terrible news, especially after the horrors of Paris.

Thousands of unidentified people getting boats across from Turkey to the EU, so no doubt there will be some baddies among them. Meanwhile, your kids will be getting frisked to get on the Eurostar for a trip to Eurodisney.

The daily life of ordinary Europeans will now change forever.

Almost all Muslims are peaceful and not terrorists, but almost all terrorists are Muslim.

Sad day for Europe.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

cafctom said:

Chizz said:

the ira want independance of ireland, wrongully or rightfully not the time for a loyalism row.

these people want what exactly?, world domination of islam?

there not similar at all, so impossible to compare

in the last 15 years how many non-islam terrorist attacks have there been?.

I don't have the figures for the last fifteen years, but do have them for 1980-2005, in the US.

Latino 42%
    Extreme Left-wing groups 24%
    "Others" 16%
    Jewish extremists 7%
    Islamic extremists 6%
    Communists 5%

So, there you have it - in 25 years in the US, 94% of terrorist attacks are not related to Islam.
    Extremely misleading, considering the significance and devastation of those attacks by other groups are absolutely dwarfed by 9/11 alone.
    The facts are misleading?
    Chizz, you and I usually agree, but yes.

- 9/11 was by orders of magnitude more devastating than pretty much all of those. Next closest I can think of is the 1995 Oklahoma bombing by Timothy McVeigh, killing ~150

- The last 15 years, politically and religiously speaking, is miles different to a 1980-2005 sample

- It's a little short-sighted to say x amount of terror isn't related to Islam when 1) we're fighting wars and bombing their territory, thereby "taking the fight to them" so to speak [horrendous phrasing I know]; 2) 9/11; and 3) we're only looking at the States from 36 years ago to 11 years ago.

There are better ways to make the point about Islamic extremism, and this is definitely not one of them.
  • Options

colthe3rd said:

Well the CL bingo card is filled up. Shame on some of you. It seems as if you just can't wait to get online and post some hate filled deeply offensive post.

RIP to those that have lost their lives in this tragedy and my thoughts to all those injured.

Oh get over yourself
    Hit a nerve did I pal?
  • Options
    Oh and don't forget your "welcome refugee banners" because everyone of them is a helpless child or woman.
  • Options
    Didn't the French terrorists end up being French and Belgian nationals?

So not exactly refugees.
  • Options

Remember the main concern here is the rise of right wing movements who are against islam extremism, not islam itself

Well that's just not true is it?

• Options
    Jarman said:

Give over.
    Those who fight for the safety of themselves and others are trained professionally, they are tested physically and mentally before being sent on missions which have been thought out and signed off by the people at the very top, they are working off the back of world class intelligence. These soldiers are not being sent out to war with the intent to kill innocents for the sake of it.

They are NOT to be associated with mindless scum who aimlessly commit terror attacks in busy cities whereby they are openly seeking innocent people to kill.

The fact you assume that is a 'horrible problem' is not only wrong but it is a fucking insult to all those brave men and women who put their lives on the line to protect me and my country.

Legally speaking, there often isn't a distinction. Regardless of how well trained you are or how good (or bad) you intelligence is, or what you outfit looks like, if you kill children, or any civilians, if you kill innocent people you can be held accountable.

This is not to besmirch men and women in uniform across the Western world, who I work for/with. But they are trained, and they know that they are held to a standard that if they carry out something illegal by domestic or international law, they can be held accountable.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Remember the main concern here is the rise of right wing movements who are against islam extremism, not islam itself, or better still blame trump and Farage, just make sure its anyone but muslims because they might get upset by nasty comments.

Just wow liberals, wow. RIP those involved and their families.

George Bush got X (let's go with 10k) US Service Men and Women killed. What's Islamic terrorisms' count?
  • Options
    Very sad news, especially after the recent attacks in Istanbul and Cote d'Ivoire.

My thoughts go out to all those affected.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

Remember the main concern here is the rise of right wing movements who are against islam extremism, not islam itself

Google "sarcasm" mate
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

Remember the main concern here is the rise of right wing movements who are against islam extremism, not islam itself, or better still blame trump and Farage, just make sure its anyone but muslims because they might get upset by nasty comments.

George Bush got X (let's go with 10k) US Service Men and Women killed. What's Islamic terrorisms' count?
    Righteo I'll be sure to be vigilant when in London for George bush thanks for that.
  • Options

Surely the main concern here is to sympathise with those who have lost loved ones, or have been injured horribly today.

But I agree with LuckyReds post, above, that we should be trying to avoid reacting to a hate crime with hate, because it will be precisely what those behind today's attacks will want. And as for blaming anyone but Muslims, it is to the British people's great credit that, when faced with Irish terrorism, they did not slip into blaming the Irish as a whole.

Individual Muslims are, like everyone else, individuals, motivated by their own hopes and desires. The overwhelming majority are interested in the same things as us, including football. To tar them all with the same brush is deeply unfair and, thus, un-British....
    Again, I was being sarcastic.
  • Options

Surely the main concern here is to sympathise with those who have lost loved ones, or have been injured horribly today.

But I agree with LuckyReds post, above, that we should be trying to avoid reacting to a hate crime with hate, because it will be precisely what those behind today's attacks will want. And as for blaming anyone but Muslims, it is to the British people's great credit that, when faced with Irish terrorism, they did not slip into blaming the Irish as a whole.

Individual Muslims are, like everyone else, individuals, motivated by their own hopes and desires. The overwhelming majority are interested in the same things as us, including football. To tar them all with the same brush is deeply unfair and, thus, un-British....
    Again, I was being sarcastic.
    Fair enough, but, for thickos like me, it's all very confusing.
  • Options

SDAddick said:

Righteo I'll be sure to be vigilant when in London for George bush thanks for that.
    A few years too late, though if you'd been as vigilant back in 2002-3 you would have saved a lot of British lives as well.

That said, really any time the US sends an important person to the UK it's probably because we want to go to war in some way. American leaders are statistically far more dangerous to you than every muslim you pass on the street combined.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    colthe3rd said:

colthe3rd said:

Google "sarcasm" mate
    Google "How to use sarcasm correctly" mate.
    For anyone who's seen my posts prior to this event it's quite evident sarcasm is being used.
  • Options

I don't think anyone on here has mentioned Trump or Farage other than you.

As for "not offending Muslims" - well like I said, it's important to appreciate that these cunt perpetrators do not represent that religion.
  • Options
    It is very sad when human beings feel a way to make a point is by murdering innocent human beings. When this is done for religious principles it makes it all the more unfathomable as relgion should be about loving and respecting your fellow man. These people should not be called muslims. They may follow a literal interpretation of islamic teachings, but do not represent muslims. We should never forget that fact. When we start to tar a whole religion with the same brush, we are more likely to create the conditions which create these mad people. They are a disgrace to the human race, and we should join with all muslims in condemning them. Sadiq Khan wrote a good piece in the Standard this week about the extremes he would go to to fight extremism. All muslims, Christians and everybody else should unite against these bastards. Unity is the way to defeat them. R.I.P. the innocents in Belgium today.
  • Options

It is very sad when human beings feel a way to make a point is by murdering innocent human beings. When this is done for religious principles it makes it all the more unfathomable as relgion should be about loving and respecting your fellow man. These people should not be called muslims. They may follow a literal interpretation of islamic teachings, but do not represent muslims. We should never forget that fact. When we start to tar a whole religion with the same brush, we are more likely to create the conditions which create these mad people. They are a disgrace to the human race, and we should join with all muslims in condemning them. Sadiq Khan wrote a good piece in the Standard this week about the extremes he would go to to fight extremism. All muslims, Christians and everybody else should unite against these bastards. Unity is the way to defeat them. R.I.P. the innocents in Belgium today.

Whilst I think that is a decent post which I agree with with lets not forget that Sadiq Khan has previously been accused of attending extremist 'platforms' within the UK and more recently Khan has employed a speechwriter who used social media to display sexist and homophobic tweets as well as claiming the death of Lee Rigby was 'fake' so maybe we should take anything Khan has to say with a pinch of salt.
  • Options

The question that Everyone should Ask ?

How in the name of Security can Salah Abdeslam the most wanted man in the western world be living in Molonbeek, his home town,
    and be captured 16 Weeks after the Paris attacks, Just 200 Meters from his home ?
    He had grown a beard and was reported to have daily walks around the neighbourhood.
    No stop and search ?

Is the fear of upsetting the local muslim community taking precedence
    over nation security ?

- Collation of evidence
    - Ensuring he's definitely the right person
    - Police bureaucracy (most likely)
    - Ensuring they're able to charge him with the full whack of everything, presumably
    - Secret service detail on him? I.e. possibly knowing his whereabouts and therefore monitoring his communications or whatever (that might be illegal but in this instance I'm not sure if the authorities would care overmuch)
    - Proper collaboration with all parties - French police, EU, Belgian police, intelligence, governments etc etc

I've probably missed a few things. While 16 weeks is a fair amount of time, I don't think it's overly unreasonable.
  • Options

The question that Everyone should Ask ?

How in the name of Security can Salah Abdeslam the most wanted man in the western world be living in Molonbeek, his home town,
    and be captured 16 Weeks after the Paris attacks, Just 200 Meters from his home ?
    He had grown a beard and was reported to have daily walks around the neighbourhood.
    No stop and search ?

Is the fear of upsetting the local muslim community taking precedence
    over national security ?

As always.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    They've published pictures of the suspects.(fair point below).