Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Explosion at Brussels airport

Comments

• Options
    shine166 said:

se9addick said:

LuckyReds said:

LuckyReds said:

se9addick said:

This incident has nothing whatsoever to do with religion or those that follow religion.

No siree.

LuckyReds said:

From Twitter-:

Local media reporting that firemen found other unexploded bombs, federal police confirm at lest one dead at #Brussels airport

Another dark day for society.
    More a dark day for a certain section of society.

Most of society will pull together and show togetherness. A smal minority will continue to shout loudly until such a time that they are eradicated from the face of the planet.

Sad but true.
    I'm detecting a theme in your posts and it isn't one that has shown any condolence to the people affected, in either of your two posts on the subject.

RIP to those killed, I hope the Belgian police get their act together and find those responsible.
    Your spidey senses seem to be in tip top form. However, condolences to those affected are a given in these situations.

You've chosen to post condolences wheras I've posted about the common denominator in all of these tragedies that a lot of people feel uincomfortable highlighting for a multitude of strange reasons.

Each to their own, old chap.

Purely for peace of mind, as wont be able to get a good nights sleep without knowing your stance on this, what part of either of my posts is untrue?
    I think @se9addick is most likely suggesting that, above all, there's a time and a place for those observations. When the news regarding casualties and fatalities is still coming in, and in fact, it turns out the attack is still in progress (i.e the Metro bomb) probably isn't one of those times.

You're correct in that there is a common attribute amongst those involved, however I'd also suggest that there are more common themes than the obvious one though. The situation is more complex than simply "it's all of that lot, y'know - the ones who don't believe what we believe and are a slightly darker shade of our colour!".
    I don't believe, nor have I said, that 'it's all of that lot'. That's the sort of assumption that is banded about whenever issues are raised about a minority of a scetion of society.

The insinuation that there must be racist undertones is offensive in itself. Terrorism isn't defined by colour.
    Nor is it defined by religion, an aspersion you seemingly cast in your initial post.
    Not completely, no. However, it accounts for a large majority of terrorist incidents.

To absolve religion, or the interpretation of it, completely from blame is a dangerous road to tread.

I get that people are scared to call things as they are as they're afraid of upsetting or offending others. The trouble is that if someone gets offended by others calling out the actions of a person that they should be distancing themselves from, purely because they practice a variation of your faith/religion and you see the calling out as a direct attack on your faith, then something is wrong and moral compasses need to be revisited and recalibrated.
    You keep repeating this "people are afraid to say it's the fault of Islam because they're afraid of upsetting others" but it isn't that, people aren't afraid to say it - they just know it isn't true. There are a myriad of factors, this misinterpretation of Islam by some nutters is just one of them.
    Wrong, again.

I haven't blamed 'Islam'. No matter how many times you misquote me, it wont make your quotings true.

Interpretations of Islam are at the forefront of these attacks. To suggest otherwise is preposterous.

It's not the fault of 'Islam', no, but it most definitely has something to do with Islam and the interpretations of it.

If you are going to spout bollox, then so am I.

Some might go as far as saying us meddling in Iraq,Libya etc has caused this.
    They'd be partly correct.

Weren't expecting that, were you?
  • Options
    Knew it would only be a matter of time before someone posted suggesting it's all our fault.
  • Options

Every now again you read something so crass on Social Media that you have to double take. Did she really bring the Brexit into this?

That's Social media at it's finest.
  • Options

Just because the owners we don't like are Belgian doesn't mean that all Belgians are bad people. Most Belgians are perfect people and I stll have nothing against Belium or Belgian people in general.

What they hell are at you on about?
    Basically saying that we might hate Roland / Katrien and that we say; "God I hate Belgians" when we lose a match or when our owners do something bad but at the end of the day it doesnt mean we do hate all Belgians and it doesnt mean that all Belgians are cut from the same cloth
    Yep, still confused as to what thats got to do with this.
  • Options

shine166 said:

se9addick said:

LuckyReds said:

LuckyReds said:

se9addick said:

This incident has nothing whatsoever to do with religion or those that follow religion.

No siree.

LuckyReds said:

From Twitter-:

Local media reporting that firemen found other unexploded bombs, federal police confirm at lest one dead at #Brussels airport

Another dark day for society.
    More a dark day for a certain section of society.

Most of society will pull together and show togetherness. A smal minority will continue to shout loudly until such a time that they are eradicated from the face of the planet.

Sad but true.
    I'm detecting a theme in your posts and it isn't one that has shown any condolence to the people affected, in either of your two posts on the subject.

RIP to those killed, I hope the Belgian police get their act together and find those responsible.
    Your spidey senses seem to be in tip top form. However, condolences to those affected are a given in these situations.

You've chosen to post condolences wheras I've posted about the common denominator in all of these tragedies that a lot of people feel uincomfortable highlighting for a multitude of strange reasons.

Each to their own, old chap.

Purely for peace of mind, as wont be able to get a good nights sleep without knowing your stance on this, what part of either of my posts is untrue?
    I think @se9addick is most likely suggesting that, above all, there's a time and a place for those observations. When the news regarding casualties and fatalities is still coming in, and in fact, it turns out the attack is still in progress (i.e the Metro bomb) probably isn't one of those times.

You're correct in that there is a common attribute amongst those involved, however I'd also suggest that there are more common themes than the obvious one though. The situation is more complex than simply "it's all of that lot, y'know - the ones who don't believe what we believe and are a slightly darker shade of our colour!".
    I don't believe, nor have I said, that 'it's all of that lot'. That's the sort of assumption that is banded about whenever issues are raised about a minority of a scetion of society.

The insinuation that there must be racist undertones is offensive in itself. Terrorism isn't defined by colour.
    Nor is it defined by religion, an aspersion you seemingly cast in your initial post.
    Not completely, no. However, it accounts for a large majority of terrorist incidents.

To absolve religion, or the interpretation of it, completely from blame is a dangerous road to tread.

I get that people are scared to call things as they are as they're afraid of upsetting or offending others. The trouble is that if someone gets offended by others calling out the actions of a person that they should be distancing themselves from, purely because they practice a variation of your faith/religion and you see the calling out as a direct attack on your faith, then something is wrong and moral compasses need to be revisited and recalibrated.
    You keep repeating this "people are afraid to say it's the fault of Islam because they're afraid of upsetting others" but it isn't that, people aren't afraid to say it - they just know it isn't true. There are a myriad of factors, this misinterpretation of Islam by some nutters is just one of them.
    Wrong, again.

I haven't blamed 'Islam'. No matter how many times you misquote me, it wont make your quotings true.

Interpretations of Islam are at the forefront of these attacks. To suggest otherwise is preposterous.

It's not the fault of 'Islam', no, but it most definitely has something to do with Islam and the interpretations of it.

If you are going to spout bollox, then so am I.

Some might go as far as saying us meddling in Iraq,Libya etc has caused this.
    They'd be partly correct.

Weren't expecting that, were you?

Someone to agree with me ? Deffintley not
  • Options

Every now again you read something so crass on Social Media that you have to double take. Did she really bring the Brexit into this?

Disgusting view. Fortunately the response on twitter seems to be overwhelmingly of the opinion that she's dispicable for using a terrorist attack as a cheap point for Brexit so early on.
  • Options
    LuckyReds said:

Disgusting view. Fortunately the response on twitter seems to be overwhelmingly of the opinion that she's dispicable for using a terrorist attack as a cheap point for Brexit so early on.
    Disgusting?
    How?!
    She is worryingly spot on.

Go on, hide behind Corbyn and the like while we deprive ourselves of all defenses and blame ourselves and our way of life for others acts of inhumanity and terrorism.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Eurostar Services have now been cancelled too and from Brussels Midi
  • Options
    We're actually at the stage where it is politically incorrect to criticise a belief system that justifies slaughter
  • Options
    LuckyReds said:

Jarman said:

LuckyReds said:

Disgusting?
    How?!

Go on, hide behind Corbyn and the like while we deprive ourselves of all defenses and blame ourselves and our way of life for others acts of inhumanity and terrorism.
    Her timing is disgusting.

Hide behind Corbyn? I'm a card carrying Tory, you idiot. I just believe that using a terrorist attack to further a political agenda whilst people are literally still bleeding in the streets is incredibly low. If you read my other posts you'll see I don't think we should hide, but we should be actively confronting the issue in the communities that are affected.
    Alright mate calm down.
    Why don't you go and like some more posts, eh?

• Options
    edited March 2016
    Jarman said:

LuckyReds said:

Jarman said:

LuckyReds said:

Disgusting?
    How?!

Her timing is disgusting.

Hide behind Corbyn? I'm a card carrying Tory, you idiot. I just believe that using a terrorist attack to further a political agenda whilst people are literally still bleeding in the streets is incredibly low. If you read my other posts you'll see I don't think we should hide, but we should be actively confronting the issue in the communities that are affected.
    Alright mate calm down.
    Why don't you go and like some more posts, eh?

I edited my post.

Like some more posts? What on earth are you on? If you're casting aspersions that I do nothing other than "liking some posts", then I'll leave that to you. I'll continue volunteering my time helping develop crisis mapping tools that have been used in response to terrorist attacks, and I'll continue my talks about providing assistance to the counter-extremism think-tank Quilliam.
  • Options

We're actually at the stage where it is politically incorrect to criticise a belief system that justifies slaughter

Who thinks it is "politically incorrect" to criticise the mis-interpretation of Islam to justify slaughter ? Show me one person.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Who thinks it is "politically incorrect" to criticise the mis-interpretation of Islam to justify slaughter ? Show me one person.
    You've just done it yourself. You've assumed that this is some mis-interpretation. Don't get me wrong, millions of Muslims choose to ignore the violent parts of Islam, but it's there; and some sick individuals follow the religion literally.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2016

Just because the owners we don't like are Belgian doesn't mean that all Belgians are bad people. Most Belgians are perfect people and I stll have nothing against Belium or Belgian people in general.

What they hell are at you on about?
    Basically saying that we might hate Roland / Katrien and that we say; "God I hate Belgians" when we lose a match or when our owners do something bad but at the end of the day it doesnt mean we do hate all Belgians and it doesnt mean that all Belgians are cut from the same cloth

Exactly -also I think we have to be ensure now that we clearly show our empathy with the Belgian people despite what has been going on here at Charlton. The fact that RD & KM are Belgian is purely coincidental and it is important at our next home game that we demonstrate by our actions that 1) We extend our sympathy to those caught up in today's events 2) Although we want RD & KM out no 'sick' chants which would in any way be construed as anti-Belgian. I am sure we all have thoughts on this and ideas how to conduct ideas for Apil 2 at home.

• Options
    se9addick said:

se9addick said:

You've just done it yourself. You've assumed that this is some mis-interpretation. Don't get me wrong, millions of Muslims choose to ignore the violent parts of Islam, but it's there; and some sick individuals follow the religion literally.
    As do some Christians, Hindus, Jews & Atheists - the common denominator is not the religion but that some scumbags will use religion to justify horrific acts.
    Do you really think these people who bombed an airport consider themselves not religious and just use it as an excuse?! They fully believe that what they are doing is right and will blow themselves up to show it.

Stop excusing religion. it's evil.
  • Options
    But Prague (and correct me if I'm wrong which is entirely possible) the terrorists we are talking about here are committing these atrocities due to their warped interpretation of their religious text.

The IRA were committing atrocities for completely different reasons.

So how can you ask to compare the fallout accusations??
  • Options
    Jdredsox said:

Dear all,

Please don't politicise this right now. Some of us have family we are trying to track down in Brussels right now.

Thanks.

Hope your family are ok mate.

Keep us posted.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    se9addick said:

se9addick said:

As do some Christians, Hindus, Jews & Atheists - the common denominator is not the religion but that some scumbags will use religion to justify horrific acts.
    Very much spot on... "Us" Christians (I was christened but dont believe) arent the most innocent in history.

Just look back at the Crusades and the Siege of Jerusalem in 1099, the Europeans conquered the City and massacred most of the muslims who remained, yes they returned the favour when the Mamluks ended the Crusades by taking Acre yet other than a few hundred years you could ask whats the difference between what we did to them?

Its been back and forth between us and them ever since that day and it needs to stop (both parties)

Sadly though you cant see it happening