Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The thread about Boxing

Comments

• Options
    Warrington looked like a shot fighter throughout that fight, never looked right at all. Big shock. Looked to me like his dad had the towel folded up in his hand in the 5th ready to be thrown in 
    Agree, Adam Booth has the easy job of saying he would have thrown in the towel after the knockdown and I was surprised Howard Foster didn't stop it, world level fighter or not he was a punchbag on stiff legs all night. He has had some intense heavy fights Warrington and hasn't fought since 2019 even that was a bit of a mickey mouse fight where the guy should not have been in a ring with Josh. 
  • Options
    Think the ref just wasn’t expecting it and wasn’t brave enough to call it in for what was the home headline fighter. Could see coming out for the fifth his legs were shot and he was on auto pilot
  • Options
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/3011949/anna-woolhouse-sky-sports-boxing-presenter-anthony-joshua/
    Id lile to take this moment to appreciate the female boxing presenter on sky sports.

Absolute top drawer totty

• Options
    Think the ref just wasn’t expecting it and wasn’t brave enough to call it in for what was the home headline fighter. Could see coming out for the fifth his legs were shot and he was on auto pilot
    Again completely agree. What did mildly irritate me was the commentators, if you were only listening to that you would be forgiven for thinking Warrington was still in the fight and not getting holes punched in him. 
  • Options
    Carter said:
    Again completely agree. What did mildly irritate me was the commentators, if you were only listening to that you would be forgiven for thinking Warrington was still in the fight and not getting holes punched in him. 
    Just setting the scene for any dodgy score cards if the fight had gone the distance.
  • Options
    Thought that was utter negligence from the ref and to an extent the corner letting it go on that long. Would have been completely acceptable to stop after the first knock down and even at the end of the round as Warrington was barely able to walk back to his corner. Real danger of long term damage from letting that continue. 
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    colthe3rd said:
    Thought that was utter negligence from the ref and to an extent the corner letting it go on that long. Would have been completely acceptable to stop after the first knock down and even at the end of the round as Warrington was barely able to walk back to his corner. Real danger of long term damage from letting that continue. 

I agree - absolute disgrace by Howard Foster and then compounded by his corner. The towel should have come in when he was being given the eight count, despite the referee's incompetence - he was clearly out on his feet.

Great career - call it a day, Josh.
  • Options
    Wasn't surprised the ref didn't stop it as it was a Hearn fighter. Anyone else and it would have been stopped. 
  • Options
    One thing I thought was is it good to have family in the corner? 

His trainer is his dad and is his dad able to make a decision on what he’s seeing and not the emotions of not wanting to see Josh KO’d.

you’d think most trainers would have stopped it as soon as they saw the state of him walking out for the 5th
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Josh Kelly in s fight
  • Options
    Decent match up this one 
  • Options
    Yeah decent fight this
  • Options
    That back of head dig is leaking Terry Butcher style 
  • Options
    Disappointing how quickly Kelly unravelled there, good performance from Avaneysan 
  • Options
    Be nice to see a British winner for a change! Been some good fights recently though, works without a crowd far better than football
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Otto Wallin absolutely schooling Breazeale currently, its not even close. 

Impressed by Adam Booth calling an end to the Josh Kelly fight early- perfect demonstration of what should have happened last week.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Valdez absolutely battering Berchelt right now. There's part of me genuinely concerned that this fight will end horrifically at this point, I feel like Berchelt has spent more time on wobbly legs than he has stable. 

As I go to post this, Berchelt absolutely brutally KO'd, completely stiff. Incredibly relieved to see him sitting up after a few minutes, but my god did that look nasty.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    The scorecards in the Adrian Broner card are amongst the worst I've seen in boxing in recent times. I felt a Santiago win- Santiago outlanded him 2:1 over the fight. The judges gave it 117-110, 116-111 and 115-112 to Broner. Really perplexing scores, I would've been able to understand a draw,  but 117-110 is flat out crazy.
  • Options
    Otto Wallin absolutely schooling Breazeale currently, its not even close. 

Impressed by Adam Booth calling an end to the Josh Kelly fight early- perfect demonstration of what should have happened last week.
    I suspect the Warrington fight was influential on two towels coming in fairly sharpish tonight. Will be interesting to see if the trend lasts 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Valdez absolutely battering Berchelt right now. There's part of me genuinely concerned that this fight will end horrifically at this point, I feel like Berchelt has spent more time on wobbly legs than he has stable. 

As I go to post this, Berchelt absolutely brutally KO'd, completely stiff. Incredibly relieved to see him sitting up after a few minutes, but my god did that look nasty.
    knockout of the year so far for me... Brutal

• Options
    Pariah:The lives and deaths of Sonny Liston. Currently being aired on Sky documentaries.

Fascinating, tragic, crime ridden story of a man whose life was an enigma from start to finish. Larger than life characters jump out of the screen. Well worth a watch.    

• Options
    Sky Documentaries also showing a new film, Bruno v Tyson, from this Friday.
  • Options
    Pariah:The lives and deaths of Sonny Liston. Currently being aired on Sky documentaries.

Fascinating, tragic, crime ridden story of a man whose life was an enigma from start to finish. Larger than life characters jump out of the screen. Well worth a watch.    

Love these old documentaries.  Currently watching “Chasing Tyson” and Evander Holyfield’s dream of finally facing the formidable Tyson who unfortunately went to prison while in the early throes of a pretty brutal career.  Even so, that first Holyfield Tyson fight - in which Holyfield was given very little chance - was a cracker - and Holyfield won of course.
  • Options
    There is a much anticipated (in NZ) fight coming up on Saturday - Joseph Parker v Junior Fa.  Both are New Zealanders from South Auckland and both have a history going back to amateur days when they fought 4 times, two victories each.

Junior Fa has a 19-0 record with 10 knockouts which sounds impressive, although you wouldn’t recognise the names of any of his opponents.  However, he has trained alongside AJ and Deontay Wilder.  This is his big chance for the big time although he is ranked 5 on the WBO rankings, two spots behind Parker.

I’d expect Parker to win.  If he doesn’t he might as well hang up his globes.

The last “big fight” in NZ was David Tua v Shane Cameron which was supposed to be the fight of the century in NZ.  Tua demolished him in short time and I’d expect history to be repeated.
  • Options
    David Tua could knock a buffalo out, insane power that guy had if he caught anyone they needed jaw surgery 
  • Options
    There is a much anticipated (in NZ) fight coming up on Saturday - Joseph Parker v Junior Fa. 
    Being broadcast on DAZN in the UK. Think ringwalks are expected around 9.30am on Saturday.
  • Options
    edited February 2021

Hi Carter, true about the Tua power but he was probably a bit on the short side for a top heavyweight.  I remember before the Lennox Lewis fight LL said it was going to be walk in the park.  So it proved to be.  Lennox was largely untroubled throughout the fight, just putting on a bit of pressure towards round end to make sure he won the round.  Easy.
  • Options
    Yeah he was short, Lennox is extraordinarily tall as well. Tua for me was in the league just below the top guys purely on his punch, always had a chance especially with the heavyweights more prone to thinking they could just walk the midget down. I'm sure the replay will be easily findable on YouTube of Tua properly starching John Ruiz, that was his jam ironing out careless fighters like that. Ruiz was a decent capable heavyweight too
  • Options
    Sky Documentaries also showing a new film, Bruno v Tyson, from this Friday.
    No spoilers please