Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The thread about Boxing

Comments

• Options
    2 things that weren't in AJs favour on Saturday night:

1. He was fighting a boxer that he can't beat! Ever!
    2. He was fighting a Ukrainian when the whole world ~ even AJs own country ~ is cheering on anything a Ukrainian does ~ even if that involves beating up your own country's best pugilist. 

Also, silly to suggest AJ is finished. He may or may not get another 40m£ purse and box for the Arabs again... But he will certainly have much more to do in boxing.  Fury V Usyk. Fury wins. 
    AJ fights Wilder ~ AJ wins. There really is only one fight everyone wants to see. And it's not Usyk v Wilder. 

AJ to fight Wilder in January.  Fury V Usyk to fight in March. Fury V AJ Oct 23. 

• Options
    Based on his last 4 outings I don't think AJ beats Wilder.
  • Options
    edited August 2022

2. He was fighting a Ukrainian when the whole world ~ even AJs own country ~ is cheering on anything a Ukrainian does ~ even if that involves beating up your own country's best pugilist. 

Also, silly to suggest AJ is finished. He may or may not get another 40m£ purse and box for the Arabs again... But he will certainly have much more to do in boxing.  Fury V Usyk. Fury wins. 
    AJ fights Wilder ~ AJ wins. There really is only one fight everyone wants to see. And it's not Usyk v Wilder. 

AJ to fight Wilder in January.  Fury V Usyk to fight in March. Fury V AJ Oct 23. 

Fury is far better than Joshua.

I think AJ may be finished in terms of his appetite for boxing rather than him being a draw for ticket sales. He'll always get bums on seats it's whether he wants it anymore...particularly when he has many millions in the bank and likely many options outside of the fight game.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    I'll just leave this here 😂

AJ accepting that he is also a cock.
  • Options

What makes you think AJ beats Wilder? 

Wilder knocked Fury down 4 times (i think) in 3 fights. If he catches AJ, he's gone.
  • Options
    To beat Wilder, you have to keep him off you. That takes a high work rate. Fury has the tank for it. Other boxers have come close but got ultimately got caught (unsurprisingly). AJ quite simply cannot keep the work rate up to keep Wilder off him. I think it's a very easy win for Wilder.

Ultimately this is the thing that is too often overlooked for AJ. He simply can't put it on an opponent for more than a couple of rounds per fight. He tanks after any strenuous effort because he's carrying far too much muscle, just like Bruno was prone to doing. AJ's tank is even worse than Bruno's though. AJ is good enough technically to coast through fights with a jab or blow someone out with a rampaging round or two. Against the very elite, he'll always fall short but not because he's totally incompetent. Look at how much trouble he gave Usyk when he finally used his size for a single round and put in a high work rate. The rest of the fight he was out of energy. It's a recipe for disaster against Wilder...

One thing that puzzles. Why does he carry so much muscle? I understand he has a big frame but there's a difference between being chiseled from a hard training camp and then coming in looking like AJ, with muscles fully pumped. That isn't a natural athlete's body, that is someone who is lifting too many weight in the gym. He's 18-19 stone and 6ft 6, fighting a Cruiserweight blown up to 15.5st. You're always going to have the power and size advantage, so why not forgo the weights and work on cardio so you can use that advantage over a few rounds? I can never fathom why AJ looks like he does. Is it vanity? I mean, it's an impressive Adonis like figure but it's all but useless in the boxing ring.
    Good post.

The only slight disagreement I would have is how to beat Wilder. My view is that you close him down rather than keep him off - that big overhand right needs distance to land. Either way, AJ, as you say, hasn't got the stamina to keep that up and I'm not convinced he has as much power as we think in his right hand that put away bums in his early career.

You're spot on with the physique observation - far too many weights and not enough road work. Whenever Ali trained for a fight he put in mile after mile after mile on the road - he had stamina to burn but look at his body shape - lean muscle. Boxers are not meant to be weight lifters with explosive power over very short timeframes - it has to be a combination of power and stamina.

I hasten to add that's the the only comparison I make between the Greatest and AJ!  
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    For me, Joshua is 4th best in the division behind Fury, Usyk & Wilder.  He won't win a world title all the time the other 3 are still active. 

Not sure where his career goes from here to be honest 
  • Options
    Joshua v Wilder would be a really interesting fight. What I like about Wilder is he has no interest in subtley playing poker with his opponent he is all about setting up a side winder thrown from somewhere around his ankles 
  • Options

What makes you think AJ beats Wilder? 

Wilder knocked Fury down 4 times (i think) in 3 fights. If he catches AJ, he's gone.
    Yes I agree. I'm banking on AJ never getting caught in this one. HOW Fury ever got up after that knockout punch in the first fight only heaven knows. I don't believe any other boxer could have got back up. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    To beat Wilder, you have to keep him off you. That takes a high work rate. Fury has the tank for it. Other boxers have come close but got ultimately got caught (unsurprisingly). AJ quite simply cannot keep the work rate up to keep Wilder off him. I think it's a very easy win for Wilder.

Ultimately this is the thing that is too often overlooked for AJ. He simply can't put it on an opponent for more than a couple of rounds per fight. He tanks after any strenuous effort because he's carrying far too much muscle, just like Bruno was prone to doing. AJ's tank is even worse than Bruno's though. AJ is good enough technically to coast through fights with a jab or blow someone out with a rampaging round or two. Against the very elite, he'll always fall short but not because he's totally incompetent. Look at how much trouble he gave Usyk when he finally used his size for a single round and put in a high work rate. The rest of the fight he was out of energy. It's a recipe for disaster against Wilder...

One thing that puzzles. Why does he carry so much muscle? I understand he has a big frame but there's a difference between being chiseled from a hard training camp and then coming in looking like AJ, with muscles fully pumped. That isn't a natural athlete's body, that is someone who is lifting too many weight in the gym. He's 18-19 stone and 6ft 6, fighting a Cruiserweight blown up to 15.5st. You're always going to have the power and size advantage, so why not forgo the weights and work on cardio so you can use that advantage over a few rounds? I can never fathom why AJ looks like he does. Is it vanity? I mean, it's an impressive Adonis like figure but it's all but useless in the boxing ring.
    Excellent appraisal of the AJ/Bruno similarity and needless insistence on having such muscle mass.  
  • Options
    Well this announcer isn’t annoying much...

”Geeeeeeeet Wiiiiiiiiiiilllllllldddd”

Get F***ed
  • Options
    What was that all about?
  • Options
    Crazy finish. Not what that card needed after the ridiculous Frazer Clarke mismatch. 
  • Options
    Bore off Fury. 
  • Options
    Andy Ruiz looked very ready and up to scratch vs Ortiz who must be done now 

Ruiz throwing combinations and seems to have been taking his conditioning seriously as well
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Bore off Fury. 
    Gives Usyk a date he knows is too quick a turnaround between fights then moves on.

Shame.

Obviously worried about Usyk but it's a shame, I think Fury would win.
  • Options
    Carter said:

Ruiz throwing combinations and seems to have been taking his conditioning seriously as well
    Still got his head jabbed off and would be a sitting duck for anyone with a nit of ring craft
  • Options
    Carter said:

He's also using that punch to the top side of the head really well.

That's the one that got AJ. It screws your senses and is really underused in my opinion.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Fury is getting quite boring now.
  • Options
    Fury is doing an awful lot of talking at the moment.

I really hope his offer to Joshua is genuine, but I highly doubt it 
  • Options

The fact he said it would be on a Champion/Challenger purse basis makes me think he knows he's getting nowhere near offering a split that would be accepted.
  • Options

The fact he said it would be on a Champion/Challenger purse basis makes me think he knows he's getting nowhere near offering a split that would be accepted.
    He's posted a video on social media saying he's offered a 60/40 split. I'm sure Joshua would accept that, but I doubt he's telling the truth 
  • Options
    WWE is more believable than boxing these days!
  • Options

Well that's on Joshua then. He's done nothing to warrant a 50/50 purse. Ego maybe.
     He's the challenger whether he likes it or not
  • Options

He's posted a video on social media saying he's offered a 60/40 split. I'm sure Joshua would accept that, but I doubt he's telling the truth 
    Yeah, Joshua would be crazy not to accept 60/40 and a shot at the belt.
  • Options
    Yes, if an honest offer it would be crazy to duck it. I think it is very likely Fury would win but it would be Joshua's best chance of a massive pay day and if he did win, he would get back to being box office. If he loses, which he probably would do, he has a lot of money. It makes sense for Fury as it would probably make more money than a fight with Usyk and would probably be easier. He can then decide if he wants another fight or to retire after that one.

Joshua should probably respond publically and say he is up for it if the details are genuine.
  • Options
    Fights like this get tied and tangled up in nonsense, mainly rights stuff, rematch clauses, Ringwalk clauses, fucken dressing room clauses

I'll be amazed but pleasantly amazed if this fight gets made in the next 12 months 60/40 is an amazing split but I don't believe Tyson Fury is willing to give that much away, there are a lot of mouths to feed in the Fury camp