Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The thread about Boxing

Comments

• Options
    No way did Usyk win by much but he was shading a lot of rounds by landing more punches. I thought Joshua landed the best punches but Usyk's punches were scoring punches and that is boxing. Usyk kept the fight off the ropes so when he saw Joshua attack he just had to step back to take any sting out of them. Joshua is powerful but very slow and Usyk is just too quick and resillient for him.
  • Options
    Watching it back i actually think Joshua did ok, much better than the first fight for sure. But the times when he seemed to get a bit of momentum and land some decent punches he couldn't follow it up. I'm sure that wasn't for want of trying though, more just Usyk getting himself out of there.

I think Fury beats Usyk though simply because of his size. He also won't get hit as much as AJ did. 
  • Options
    What was the chucking of the belts on the floor all about , he went proper occifer dibble 
  • Options
    Thought AJ had a real.go but was no match for Usyk.

Don't know what was more bizarre, AJ's outburst or thee judge scoring the fight to AJ 

Feel that could be it for AJ now 
  • Options
    What was the chucking of the belts on the floor all about , he went proper occifer dibble 
    He said before the fight it wasn't about rhe belts and would throw them away if he won. Problem is he didn't win so it just looked ridiculously disrespectful 
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Do people seriously think Usyk won by 7/8 rounds? He didn’t turn up until later on. AJ is bang average and Usyk didn’t need to do much. The heavyweight division is dire, glad I didn’t pay £27 to watch that garbage 
    Usyk dominated the vast majority of rounds, constantly moving and landing scoring punches. AJ would land 1-2 eye catching body shots but nothing else in each round, partly because Usyk is so hard to hit. I gave AJ 4 rounds max last night.

Last night was a boxing masterclass from Usyk and a greatly improved gameplan from Joshua. AJ is not bang average, he's still no.3 heavyweight in the world. The heavyweight division may not have the quality of the great Ali/Frazier/Foreman days but we have been treated to some big fights and huge occasions over the past 3-5 years. It's certainly in a better and more competitive state than when the Klitschko brothers held the belts - Nikolai Valuev had a belt ffs.

If you're tuning in just to see knockdowns and knockouts then you're going to be bored by the vast majority of boxing. Rounds 9 & 10 were genuine edge of the seat stuff, certainly not what I would call garbage (the garbage was served up on the undercard)
    I thought it was 7-5 Usyk to be honest but wouldn’t argue with 8-4. I thought 5/6 rounds could have gone either way. 

Yes it’s certainly better than the Valuev era but not convinced it’s particularly competitive. Fury comfortably best, easily beats Usyk. Usyk is a great fighter and is clear second. Wilder and AJ come in at 3rd and 4th but neither are top class really. Have the power to blow lesser fighters away but neither are fantastic boxers. 

Can see AJ fighting Whyte again. Not sure he has much else to offer. 

• Options
    cafc999 said:

Don't know what was more bizarre, AJ's outburst or thee judge scoring the fight to AJ 

Seen this a lot but why?  He fought better than last time, was in it until Round 9 but Usyk was just better.

Plenty of boxers out there making money and not being quite as good as Joshua - he's better than Whyte, Chisora, Parker etc, just not as good as Fury snd Usyk.

I'm sure there's plenty of fights out there.  Although he's fought most of the potential ones already, but there's still say Joyve, Wilder etc who'd drum up some interest.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cafc999 said:

Seen this a lot but why?  He fought better than last time, was in it until Round 9 but Usyk was just better.

Plenty of boxers out there making money and not being quite as good as Joshua - he's better than Whyte, Chisora, Parker etc, just not as good as Fury snd Usyk.

I'm sure there's plenty of fights out there.  Although he's fought most of the potential ones already, but there's still say Joyve, Wilder etc who'd drum up some interest.
    After the last two defeats, and the defeat against Ruiz Junior I think AJ has lost his wow factor. Now factor in the outburst and the throwing of the belts out of the ring and it will take a brave promotor to take him on. Even Hearn looked lost for words which say's it all for me.

As the heavyweight division is weak he will always get fights but the level of fights he is used to could be very few and far between now.

Happy to be proved wrong but I can see him becoming the new Chisora 
  • Options
    cafc999 said:
    cafc999 said:

After the last two defeats, and the defeat against Ruiz Junior I think AJ has lost his wow factor. Now factor in the outburst and the throwing of the belts out of the ring and it will take a brave promotor to take him on. Even Hearn looked lost for words which say's it all for me.

As the heavyweight division is weak he will always get fights but the level of fights he is used to could be very few and far between now.

Happy to be proved wrong but I can see him becoming the new Chisora 
    A fully focused AJ still beats everyone in the division bar usyk and fury. The wilder fight would be interesting, he should outbox him, but whether he can get him out of there/avoid him throwing bombs for 12 round, who knows. If he connects at any point, it's goodnight AJ, as he doesn't have fury chin
  • Options
    If Joshua faught Usyk ten times he would lose ten nil.
    Same if he faught Tyson Fury. 
    I also think Wilder would knock him out as he gets caught easily. 
    Joshua just isn't as good as a lot of people thought he was.
  • Options
    AJ would take Wilder apart imo 
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    AJ would take Wilder apart imo 
    I think AJ is a better boxer than Wilder so I agree with you there.
    It's just that I think AJ gets hit too easily and if wilder connects it's good night.
  • Options
    The thing with Anthony Joshua is he has had a lot of things go his way, the gold medal match I'd argue was a bit of a home decision, then fair enough as a pro he had a gentle start against the usual grade of fighter ticket seller get however that got him a fight against possibly the most average heavyweight champ for 50 years and then he is at a level where he has to fight everyone and whilst he can box ok and fire a left, left then big right hook or uppercut he is fairly easy to work out and will always struggle against movers and guys who throw combinations. 

What Hearn was saying about the big stadium fights pissed me off a bit. It was George Groves and Carl Froch who got that wheel turning and for all Hearn saying they were big exciting nights, they were big nights for him and made him a fortune but the undercards were disgraceful, matchroom fighters just getting workouts against journeymen the whole way through. 

He can Still have a future in boxing, Usyck is a generational fighter, he can rebuild, there are fights with Whyte, Chisora, Hellenius, Wilder, Joyce for starters but he needs to get a mojo back and get in a position him and Fury could make something happen. 
  • Options
    Usyk and Fury would be interesting..
    Can't see either knocking the other one out.
    I think if the judges were legit then Usyk would just edge it because I think he throws so many point scorers.
    But judges are never legit,so who knows.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Croydon said:
    I know people have their reasons for not liking AJ, but calling him the new Chisora? Come on now 
    I'm likening him to that as in reality he won't get back those belts whilst Usyk & Fury are on the scene. I have no dislike for AJ at all by the way - even wanted him to win last night but in all honesty - where can he go?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Carter said:
    The thing with Anthony Joshua is he has had a lot of things go his way, the gold medal match I'd argue was a bit of a home decision, then fair enough as a pro he had a gentle start against the usual grade of fighter ticket seller get however that got him a fight against possibly the most average heavyweight champ for 50 years and then he is at a level where he has to fight everyone and whilst he can box ok and fire a left, left then big right hook or uppercut he is fairly easy to work out and will always struggle against movers and guys who throw combinations. 

What Hearn was saying about the big stadium fights pissed me off a bit. It was George Groves and Carl Froch who got that wheel turning and for all Hearn saying they were big exciting nights, they were big nights for him and made him a fortune but the undercards were disgraceful, matchroom fighters just getting workouts against journeymen the whole way through. 

He can Still have a future in boxing, Usyck is a generational fighter, he can rebuild, there are fights with Whyte, Chisora, Hellenius, Wilder, Joyce for starters but he needs to get a mojo back and get in a position him and Fury could make something happen. 
    Bar Wilder - how of them fights would you want to pay for or go out of your way to watch? The division on a whole is poor
  • Options
    I think if the judges were legit then Usyk would just edge it because I think he throws so many point scorers.
    I would have agreed before the second and third Wilder fights.

He added power to his punching that I'd nit seen before, think he'd knock Usyk out.
  • Options
    cafc999 said:
    Carter said:

Bar Wilder - how of them fights would you want to pay for or go out of your way to watch? The division on a whole is poor
    I wouldn't but I didnt go out of my way to watch a lot of his fights. If I was round someone's house I'd watch but I'd definitely not be attending. 

However thousands would. They sold out the millennium stadium to watch him fight a couple of bang average opponents and he'd easily sell out the O2. People would attend for the selfie with the ring in the background. Not my thing at all but it is literally millions of peoples thing 

• Options
    Fury is a far cleverer boxer than Joshua and won't get any hit anywhere near as much. And of course he has the size as well. 
  • Options
    Garcia   , Joshua’s new trainer , is mates with the judge who scored it in his favour surprisingly enough 🙄
  • Options
    AJ acted like a spoilt brat after the fight, showing a total lack of respect for a great champion. Could not care less who Joshua fights next - I won’t bother forking out cash to watch him again.
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Do people seriously think Usyk won by 7/8 rounds? He didn’t turn up until later on. AJ is bang average and Usyk didn’t need to do much. The heavyweight division is dire, glad I didn’t pay £27 to watch that garbage 
    Usyk dominated the vast majority of rounds, constantly moving and landing scoring punches. AJ would land 1-2 eye catching body shots but nothing else in each round, partly because Usyk is so hard to hit. I gave AJ 4 rounds max last night.

Last night was a boxing masterclass from Usyk and a greatly improved gameplan from Joshua. AJ is not bang average, he's still no.3 heavyweight in the world. The heavyweight division may not have the quality of the great Ali/Frazier/Foreman days but we have been treated to some big fights and huge occasions over the past 3-5 years. It's certainly in a better and more competitive state than when the Klitschko brothers held the belts - Nikolai Valuev had a belt ffs.

If you're tuning in just to see knockdowns and knockouts then you're going to be bored by the vast majority of boxing. Rounds 9 & 10 were genuine edge of the seat stuff, certainly not what I would call garbage (the garbage was served up on the undercard)
    I thought it was 7-5 Usyk to be honest but wouldn’t argue with 8-4. I thought 5/6 rounds could have gone either way. 

Yes it’s certainly better than the Valuev era but not convinced it’s particularly competitive. Fury comfortably best, easily beats Usyk. Usyk is a great fighter and is clear second. Wilder and AJ come in at 3rd and 4th but neither are top class really. Have the power to blow lesser fighters away but neither are fantastic boxers. 

Can see AJ fighting Whyte again. Not sure he has much else to offer. 

I had it 7-5 too
  • Options
    Does Joshua have anything left to prove though? He's got enough money, just wonder if he has the love for the sport or the unfinished business to keep going
  • Options
    Joshua basically gave up the ghost after the Klitschko fight and thought his legacy was secure. 

Was more obsessed with being a celebrity and working out to look good than actually improving. That's why he can only fight to a gameplan and can't adapt at all in the ring. Once Usyk figured Joshua out last night Joshua was done and had nothing else to offer.