Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

STATEMENT: From CAFC and the Met Police

Comments

• Options
    Racism.....?!

Is the author of this truly absurd and pathetic statement unaware of the awards and accolades given to the club as a leader in the 'kick racism out of football' campaign?

OK I know you take pride in knowing nothing of our history but give over KM, TK or whichever crisis consultant wrote this patronise drivel. Try informing yourselves for a change.
  • Options
    T.C.E said:

If I was to write a Headline, *A Combined statement with "Scotland Yard" * sounds a lot more sensational than a *A brief chat with the Football liaison officer at Greenwich nick over coffee and a Hobnob* as has been said, they are not really sure what to do and they seek advice from all quarters and listen to none of because it doesn't suit their agenda. Well Roland and Katrien you have turned a Michelin *** restaurant into a Greasy spoon with a hygiene rating of 1 all in the space of 3 years, you both must very proud of your achievements. You bought the wrong club.....

Scotland Yard - only this mob could be so dramatic over a few beach balls. Suggest the anti is upped on Saturday with razor blades inserted in to oranges
  • Options

TelMc32 said:

The lead "Charlton story" on the BBC site. I actually think this is a disgrace.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35921396

It makes a link, where there isn't one, between incidents at some place over in Surrey several months ago and all the recent organised protests at The Valley.

I may be wrong, but I can't remember any stories like this on the BBC site about fans of other clubs being warned for behaviour and Charlton aren't exactly renowned for their brushes with the law.

The Club have attempted to tar the vast majority of fans of OUR Club by including a totally unrelated incident.

It tries to make the intelligent, well thought out and played out protests against ineptitude, which have been well supported in the media, fight for media space alongside a darker incident which shouldn't have happened.

Nasty, underhand and pretty much to be expected from the shambles running Charlton.

@PragueAddick perhaps an FOI question should include how many Football Clubs have NSY issued joint statements with "warning fans" about their behaviour.

BBC haven't given us any good press throughout this whole ordeal. I think someone there has it in for us.
    That is not true.

BBC London sport, led by Phil Parry, have given us outstanding and at times outspoken support. If you are in Leeds you may not be aware of that. What other negative BBC output has there been?

Whatever support BBC Radio London has given us has been undermined by the BBC Sport website running one-sided pieces on club statements without contacting CARD or CAST for a response.
    Well "undermined" as a valid description depends on which you think has the more relevant exposure and reach. Personally I think there is a bit too much readiness to leap on "the BBC" here. How many such pieces have there been and how many people read them?; compared with those who heard the extensive London Sport coverage, where they have carried interviews with @Airman Brown (more than once), Steve Clarke, me, and (Ithink) @rikofold in the last three months.

Everyone is getting terribly exercised about that silly cow Jo Tongue, but she isn't even a BBC employee.
    The local radio coverage isn't being featured on the website, though - and it's the website that gets shared and has national and international reach.

There have been two one-sided stories so far with no attempt to get fans' views - yesterday's one on the police statement and the one on the mad Duchatelet statement (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35820739).
  • Options

TelMc32 said:

It makes a link, where there isn't one, between incidents at some place over in Surrey several months ago and all the recent organised protests at The Valley.

I may be wrong, but I can't remember any stories like this on the BBC site about fans of other clubs being warned for behaviour and Charlton aren't exactly renowned for their brushes with the law.

The Club have attempted to tar the vast majority of fans of OUR Club by including a totally unrelated incident.

It tries to make the intelligent, well thought out and played out protests against ineptitude, which have been well supported in the media, fight for media space alongside a darker incident which shouldn't have happened.

Nasty, underhand and pretty much to be expected from the shambles running Charlton.

@PragueAddick perhaps an FOI question should include how many Football Clubs have NSY issued joint statements with "warning fans" about their behaviour.

BBC haven't given us any good press throughout this whole ordeal. I think someone there has it in for us.
    That is not true.

BBC London sport, led by Phil Parry, have given us outstanding and at times outspoken support. If you are in Leeds you may not be aware of that. What other negative BBC output has there been?

Whatever support BBC Radio London has given us has been undermined by the BBC Sport website running one-sided pieces on club statements without contacting CARD or CAST for a response.
    Well "undermined" as a valid description depends on which you think has the more relevant exposure and reach. Personally I think there is a bit too much readiness to leap on "the BBC" here. How many such pieces have there been and how many people read them?; compared with those who heard the extensive London Sport coverage, where they have carried interviews with @Airman Brown (more than once), Steve Clarke, me, and (Ithink) @rikofold in the last three months.

Everyone is getting terribly exercised about that silly cow Jo Tongue, but she isn't even a BBC employee.
    The local radio coverage isn't being featured on the website, though - and it's the website that gets shared and has national and international reach.

There have been two one-sided stories so far with no attempt to get fans' views - yesterday's one on the police statement and the one on the mad Duchatelet statement (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35820739).
    http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/35862732
  • Options
    The irony of course is that nothing has really happened yet.
  • Options
    Big_Bob said:

It beggars belief that in the same week, the begging brochure letters were sent out asking customers to renew, the club organise a meeting with the police to grass fans up.
    Our club is run by muppets

Bit out of order that, the muppets put on a good entertaining show every week
  • Options
    A statement advising troublemakers to act within the law, thereby improving everyone's matchday protest experience.

I agree with other comments that the puppet supporter groups walk away; they're being used by the club to pretend supporters are being listened to.
  • Options
    kentred2 said:

The irony of course is that nothing has really happened yet.

That's not the irony, that's the point IMHO

Scotland Yard seem to be saying we've warned both you fans and you Charlton what might happen if these protests continue and/or escalate.

They, the Police that is, have covered their backs with this statement. They are seen to be on top of the "disturbances" and as being "pro-active".

• Options
    Does it not show how desperate they are that they are prepared to label thier own supporters as racist thugs to "protect" themselves? They will tarnish the repretation of Charlton to protect their own repretations.
  • Options
    A crucial point is that by issuing the statement the "regime" are admitting that the fans( and it is now a vast majority of fans) are totally dissatisfied and are prepared to act.
    They "we need to win back the fans " is inconsistent with the statement and actions behind it.
    A simple question to RD and KM what are you trying to achieve?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

TelMc32 said:

That is not true.

I reckon more people readcthe website than listen to the sports show.
  • Options
    CARD RESPONSE now posted on new thread
  • Options

TelMc32 said:

That is not true.

I reckon more people readcthe website than listen to the sports show.
    "the website", yes. A minor story on a club page of the football section of the website, that is another matter.

• Options
    edited March 2016
    I don't know where people get the idea of Racism from, although I am not comfortable with the chant about 'Belgian Wankers', only because it's nothing to do with the fact that they are Belgian, just the fact that they are wankers... anyway, to get to the point, surely this is Xenophobia or Bigotry rather than Racism isn't it? Last time I looked Belgians were not classed as a Race......... just saying...........
  • Options

Just be careful if you posted anything on social media regarding the protests as the club troll it looking for evidence.

No, really that is how low Tony Cahones will sink.

I'm okay.....I asked them to take me off their subscription lists......
  • Options
    Presumably this was the sort of negative PR about the protests the club was looking for:

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/charlton-fans-responsible-criminal-acts-11114560

Good to see the club rebuilding its relationship with the fans.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Reading this statement is just the end. Not even going to the odd home game now until Roland & Katrien go.
  • Options
    My reply from the MPS

Dear Sir

Please find below the MPS response to further enquiries on the MPS/CAFC statement.

The MPS upholds the right of those to peacefully protest. A dedicated police liaison officer, an officer who is highly experienced in working with demonstration groups, has been and will continue to be in dialogue with any one or group who wishes to hold a protest.

The police must always seek to balance the right of those who wish to protest with the rights of those who wish to go about their daily business. Added to this there is specific legislation that applies to football matches and stadia meaning certain behaviour no matter what the motivation is a criminal offence.

It is important that anyone who chooses to take part in such a demonstration understands the specific legislation, not to could leave them open to potential investigation. This does include entering the field of play; throwing of objects in the ground; racist or homophobic chanting; carrying or using pyrotechnics inside or outside the ground.

We will always seek to take a proportionate approach to the investigation of suspected offences. As part of this approach, we have not pursued a criminal investigation into those who recently threw beach balls onto the pitch. However, every incident is dealt with on a case by case basis, so police may take action on another occasion depending on the specifics of the circumstances at the time. Policing decisions made in the context of football matches must always bear in mind the impact that disruption to the match could have, particularly in relation to opposing fans.

Charlton’s fans, Charlton Athletic Football Club and the MPS have previously worked together to tackle those people who have broken the law.
  • Options
    I have just received this from the club (in discussion with the Met) as a suggested acceptable form of protest at future games.
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited March 2016
  • Options
    I threw five beach balls. Then, because I sit near the front I threw another three from those Pensionners who sit further back in the east stand (bless em') and couldn't quite reach the pitch. I wanted to go on the pitch but forgot to bring the invisibility cloak. It's so similar to all my other tartan blankets.
  • Options
    edited March 2016

T.C.E said:

If I was to write a Headline, *A Combined statement with "Scotland Yard" * sounds a lot more sensational than a *A brief chat with the Football liaison officer at Greenwich nick over coffee and a Hobnob* as has been said, they are not really sure what to do and they seek advice from all quarters and listen to none of because it doesn't suit their agenda. Well Roland and Katrien you have turned a Michelin *** restaurant into a Greasy spoon with a hygiene rating of 1 all in the space of 3 years, you both must very proud of your achievements. You bought the wrong club.....

Scotland Yard - only this mob could be so dramatic over a few beach balls. Suggest the anti is upped on Saturday with razor blades inserted in to oranges
    Peaky Blinders !
    I doff my cap to you.

Should be able to get the Brummies to help on Saturday.
  • Options
    So are the club now going to have police inside the ground (which will cost them the earth) and if so are those police going to just be there in case of unspecified illegal acts or are they going to start enforcing Daisy's view on what is allowed and what is not.

Either way, it's now clear the club is at war with fans. This cannot end well (for Daisy)
  • Options

My reply from the MPS
    Dear Sir

Please find below the MPS response to further enquiries on the MPS/CAFC statement.

The MPS upholds the right of those to peacefully protest. A dedicated police liaison officer, an officer who is highly experienced in working with demonstration groups, has been and will continue to be in dialogue with any one or group who wishes to hold a protest.

The police must always seek to balance the right of those who wish to protest with the rights of those who wish to go about their daily business. Added to this there is specific legislation that applies to football matches and stadia meaning certain behaviour no matter what the motivation is a criminal offence.

It is important that anyone who chooses to take part in such a demonstration understands the specific legislation, not to could leave them open to potential investigation. This does include entering the field of play; throwing of objects in the ground; racist or homophobic chanting; carrying or using pyrotechnics inside or outside the ground.

We will always seek to take a proportionate approach to the investigation of suspected offences. As part of this approach, we have not pursued a criminal investigation into those who recently threw beach balls onto the pitch. However, every incident is dealt with on a case by case basis, so police may take action on another occasion depending on the specifics of the circumstances at the time. Policing decisions made in the context of football matches must always bear in mind the impact that disruption to the match could have, particularly in relation to opposing fans.

Charlton’s fans, Charlton Athletic Football Club and the MPS have previously worked together to tackle those people who have broken the law.

That's reassuring. Because the Met are well know for always taking "a proportionate approach".
  • Options
    mogodon said:

My reply from the MPS
    Dear Sir

That's reassuring. Because the Met are well know for always taking "a proportionate approach".
    That's not entirely fair. They took a very proportionate response indeed when dealing with their own officers fraudulent claims for non- existent overtime and the mis-use of corporate credit cards. They thought about it very carefully, then took no further action.