Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

STATEMENT: From CAFC and the Met Police

Comments

• Options

Anything thrown can be a missile but that does not make everything thrown a missile. The throwing must be with an intent to hit a "target" or risk of hitting an unintended "target" for it to be a missile.

As already said, if throwing anything was an offence, you couldn't return the ball from the crowd without breaking the law.

As has already been said, the statement mixes up words to give the impression that the ball throwing is regarded by the police as a criminal act.

I suggest everyone writes to the police and asks them to clarify the joint statement. Demand an answer whether they regard a beach ball not thrown at any individual and clearly incapable of causing injury to be an offence of throwing missiles under the Football (Offences) Act 1991. If so, will a statement be made by the MPS warning fans not to take missiles in the shape of balloons to the Wembley cup final.

The answer will either make the police and/or the club look stupid and give good copy for the media.

The Police really do need to clarify this.
  • Options
    Why was the meeting at New Scotland Yard ? Not exactly the crime of the century, is it ?
  • Options
    The more I read the comments on this thread, the more I laugh at those running Charlton. We're turning into CPFC ... And that's not Crystal Palace
  • Options

#IThrewABeachBall and so did my wife......

So, you're the grass!
  • Options

#IThrewABeachBall and so did my wife......

So, you're the grass!
    No, the grass is that green stuff he threw it on...
  • Options
    How bad is that article?

'There was also a pitch invasion by a small number of fans after Charlton's first goal, while others left the ground in the 74th minute to mark the number of goals the team had conceded this season.

There was then a demonstration outside the stadium after the match.'

Firstly, a small number of fans is vague - I would expect this to be used in perhaps half a dozen to twenty fans - not two. And mentioning a peaceful (in it's legal right) protest in the same article to try stack it up against the fans? Pathetic.

We need to find whom from the MPS enabled this 'joint' statement to go through, I wouldn't be surprised if no-one had, just a half arsed talk between both parties then Katrien decided to take the legal upper hand and threaten us again whilst getting a bit of BBC showtime.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    vffvff
    edited March 2016
  • Options
    T.C.E said:

Alright Tony, if you're reading this, I'm just giving you the heads up that the next balls I throw about are gonna land on your missus chin.

This mob are a joke.

Big Tone on a night out, rather you than me VG ;(
    Harsh, she has a kind face... not sure what she is doing with Keohanes though
  • Options

T.C.E said:

Surely a FOI would tell us if the MPS had a meeting with the club at NSY.

I'm thinking about it. Wording is all important with FOI, especially with plod. If you check my FOIs on WDTK, for example around Millwall game policing, one time they played ball, one time they didn't. If anybody wants to give this wording some thought, I'll be happy to write the FOI taking everyone's suggestions into account.

Where "NLA of New Scotland Yard" when you need him. ;)

I'd go for a request asking for:

1. All records held relating to any meetings between the Met Police and representatives of Charlton Athletic Football Club in March 2016 (or during the 2015-2016 season).

2. Details of all football clubs with whom the Met Police have issued joint statements regarding fan behaviour in each of the last ten football seasons (to date), including copies of the statement sissued.
    Good stuff. I think I might go with that, unless anyone has any further thoughts.
    I think they'll struggle to misintepret those two so I'd go with them.
  • Options
    I am speechless. Trying to put it into words but impossible.
  • Options

TelMc32 said:

The lead "Charlton story" on the BBC site. I actually think this is a disgrace.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35921396

It makes a link, where there isn't one, between incidents at some place over in Surrey several months ago and all the recent organised protests at The Valley.

I may be wrong, but I can't remember any stories like this on the BBC site about fans of other clubs being warned for behaviour and Charlton aren't exactly renowned for their brushes with the law.

The Club have attempted to tar the vast majority of fans of OUR Club by including a totally unrelated incident.

It tries to make the intelligent, well thought out and played out protests against ineptitude, which have been well supported in the media, fight for media space alongside a darker incident which shouldn't have happened.

Nasty, underhand and pretty much to be expected from the shambles running Charlton.

@PragueAddick perhaps an FOI question should include how many Football Clubs have NSY issued joint statements with "warning fans" about their behaviour.

BBC haven't given us any good press throughout this whole ordeal. I think someone there has it in for us.
    That is not true.

BBC London sport, led by Phil Parry, have given us outstanding and at times outspoken support. If you are in Leeds you may not be aware of that. What other negative BBC output has there been?

• Options

TelMc32 said:

It makes a link, where there isn't one, between incidents at some place over in Surrey several months ago and all the recent organised protests at The Valley.

I may be wrong, but I can't remember any stories like this on the BBC site about fans of other clubs being warned for behaviour and Charlton aren't exactly renowned for their brushes with the law.

The Club have attempted to tar the vast majority of fans of OUR Club by including a totally unrelated incident.

It tries to make the intelligent, well thought out and played out protests against ineptitude, which have been well supported in the media, fight for media space alongside a darker incident which shouldn't have happened.

Nasty, underhand and pretty much to be expected from the shambles running Charlton.

@PragueAddick perhaps an FOI question should include how many Football Clubs have NSY issued joint statements with "warning fans" about their behaviour.

BBC haven't given us any good press throughout this whole ordeal. I think someone there has it in for us.
    That is not true.

BBC London sport, led by Phil Parry, have given us outstanding and at times outspoken support. If you are in Leeds you may not be aware of that. What other negative BBC output has there been?

Apologies if I've missed it. I didn't mean that they'd given us negative press. Just from my experience I haven't seen much from them compared to other outlets. If others feel they've experienced the opposite then I retract my statement.
  • Options
    It is clear, they are in complete disarray - we are winning and surely the whole thing could be brought down with one bold act.
    Mr Murray, over to you.

• Options
    If only Murray make a positive move now, it could be a truely fatal blow too them. But i guess we can only dream.
  • Options
    edited March 2016

T.C.E said:

Surely a FOI would tell us if the MPS had a meeting with the club at NSY.

I'm thinking about it. Wording is all important with FOI, especially with plod. If you check my FOIs on WDTK, for example around Millwall game policing, one time they played ball, one time they didn't. If anybody wants to give this wording some thought, I'll be happy to write the FOI taking everyone's suggestions into account.

Where "NLA of New Scotland Yard" when you need him. ;)

I'd go for a request asking for:

1. All records held relating to any meetings between the Met Police and representatives of Charlton Athletic Football Club in March 2016 (or during the 2015-2016 season).

2. Details of all football clubs with whom the Met Police have issued joint statements regarding fan behaviour in each of the last ten football seasons (to date), including copies of the statement sissued.
    Good stuff. I think I might go with that, unless anyone has any further thoughts.
    How many arrests of home fans have there been at The Valley since August 2015? Interesting to see how that fits with the deliberately vague claim made in the statement.

Although the Home Office will release those figures in the summer.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Almost speechless. Can someone please confirm that the website has not been hacked by the Chuckle Brothers?
  • Options
    Nothing on the Met Police's website under their news banner 're this statement. Maybe it's not that newsworthy as far their press bureau are concerned.

Maybe a tweet or two to the local met twitter account may be in order, to see if they know anything about it. Greenwichmps.
  • Options

TelMc32 said:

That is not true.

Apologies if I've missed it. I didn't mean that they'd given us negative press. Just from my experience I haven't seen much from them compared to other outlets. If others feel they've experienced the opposite then I retract my statement.
    People feel positive towards Sky, and to a lesser extent C5, because they both cover us as part of their FL coverage. BBC TV does not have that mandate, and R5L has to cover the FAPL largely. BBC Radio London are our friends. No doubt about it.

• Options
    Sam lloyd said:

It is an offence for a person at a designated football match to throw anything at or towards—

So it's not an offence to kick anything at or towards - ?

Well I threw my beach ball at the guy behind me but the wind took it onto the pitch. I blew my whistle though to disrupt the game ....

• Options
    Another wonderful bit of PR work by the club. What next to alienate fans even further? They have to be doing this on purpose.
  • Options

TelMc32 said:

That is not true.

People feel positive towards Sky, and to a lesser extent C5, because they both cover us as part of their FL coverage. BBC TV does not have that mandate, and R5L has to cover the FAPL largely. BBC Radio London are our friends. No doubt about it.

Perhaps there is a perception that, as far as 606 is concerned, (and apologies for taking the old western line) "White man speak with forked (Jo) Tongue"...

I'll get my coat.
  • Options
    I work about 100 metres from NSY. I can confirm that I didn't see Daisy or Tony Ballbag entering.

I will admit I was only in sight of the building for about 4 mins.
  • Options

I work about 100 metres from NSY. I can confirm that I didn't see Daisy or Tony Ballbag entering.

I will admit I was only in sight of the building for about 4 mins.

Although had I have known this was going on I would have been tempted to take the day off and wait for them to arrive! Would love to have five minutes to tell them what I think.