Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

STATEMENT: From CAFC and the Met Police

Comments

• Options
    cafcfan said:

MrOneLung said:

Read a statement following a meeting between the club and the Metropolitan Police Service at New Scotland Yard

they could have put a please at the start.

Seriously if a meeting actually did take place about beach balls thrown on the pitch would it really have taken place at New fucking scotland yard ? Surely it would be a local level procedure wouldn't it ?

Just seen HI post on more or less same thing ...sorry
    No, it did happen at NSY. Suspect it wasn't about 'beach balls', more generalised On dealing with protests. Also suspect the police are not interested in beach balls. Please anyone correct me if I'm wrong but while throwing objects onto the pitch may be against ground regulations it isn't a criminal offence. That I suspect only kicks in if the object could cause physical harm / criminal damage. I think they have tried to be clever in the statement wrapping it up with other things that are arrestable offences, such as racism, flares etc

Happy to be corrected it wrong.
    The Football (Offences) Act 1991 is probably the piece of legislation they are referring to. My emphasis.

Section 2 Throwing of missiles.

It is an offence for a person at a designated football match to throw anything at or towards—

(a) the playing area, or any area adjacent to the playing area to which spectators are not generally admitted, or

(b) any area in which spectators or other persons are or may be present,

without lawful authority or lawful excuse (which shall be for him to prove).

Like everything to do with the law, it is important to read every word in turn and understand its meaning.

The fact that the section heading uses the word "Missiles" clearly indicates the entirely valid purpose of the legislation. The word anything is used to avoid having to have some long-winded definition of a missile. So, some hapless plod might charge someone for throwing a coin, dart, spear, ICBM, etc around at a football ground. Perhaps even a beachball. But to imagine that a Court might consider that the latter was proper use of the legislation is in my opinion, laughable.

Excellently put, better than how I'd phrased it.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Not sure how a beach ball could be considered a missile. It is worth getting the Police to clarify that it is surely. They can say it isn't a missile or look like fools!
  • Options

SDAddick said:

A

TelMc32 said:

Where exactly have the MPS issued this warning? I can only see a statement on the CAFC OS.

If you read it, it does actually say that it is a joint statement.
    Reads like a police statement not a club statement

It's in English for a start
    PWR much.

This. It's a Police statement. It's intended to deter behavior, and it's always going to be strong worded in an attempt to do just this. I am very jaded toward the police as a result of living through 30 years of American policing, but this is what I'd expect, a heavy handed statement. As long as the heavy handedness remains in word form. I feel the same way about this as I did about the club statement they put out a couple Sundays ago after the Boro match. It's something they kind of have to do.

@MuttleyCAFC I take your point about inventive protesting, but it's illegal. I do not believe a distinction is made in the letter of the law between a beach ball, a coin, a bottle, or a shoe (side note, have we thought about throwing shoes?).
    It's also technically illegal to throw a balloon or a piece of confetti. Good luck taking those offences to court.
    Agree, and @cafcfan has it spot on above. According to the letter of the law, it's illegal, but will it be prosecuted? Almost certainly not.

Again, police statement, meant to *deter* (i.e. scare--don't think I spelled that out last time) people.
  • Options
    edited March 2016

Not sure how a beach ball could be considered a missile. It is worth getting the Police to clarify that it is surely. They can say it isn't a missile or look like fools!

Missile....."an object which is forcibly propelled at a target, either by hand or from a mechanical weapon". Anything is an object and therefore legally a missile.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    After we beat Boro Riga threw a bottle of water onto the pitch. Should somebody not report this criminal? Surely more dangerous than a beach ball.
  • Options
    I would like to know what the crisis consultants the club have employed think about this.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    So if the match ball comes into the stand I shouldn't throw it back?
  • Options

A pathetic attempt by the management of the club to intimidate supporters. By mentioning New Scotland Yard they expect us to be quaking in our boots. Dream on idiots.

Just about sums it all up.
  • Options

So if the match ball comes into the stand I shouldn't throw it back?

No, put it on an empty seat and leave it there. Don't want to get arrested after all!
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited March 2016
    I started to write a serious post about the joint statement that completley exaggerates the actions of the protest, & the rubbish unnamed BBC article that lazily links unrelated events at Crystal Palace and the measured and careful protests as the same thing.

Then I realised its part of the same club mindset that wants to deflect blame on Charlton supporters for the relegation and the abject failure enacted by Duchatelet and Meire. It signals no serious or meaningful change to way things are carried out at the club. Father Jack had a sensible thing to say about it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yes, we need to trust CARD and follow it's lead. The club is only showing itself up
  • Options
    TelMc32 said:

The lead "Charlton story" on the BBC site. I actually think this is a disgrace.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35921396

It makes a link, where there isn't one, between incidents at some place over in Surrey several months ago and all the recent organised protests at The Valley.

I may be wrong, but I can't remember any stories like this on the BBC site about fans of other clubs being warned for behaviour and Charlton aren't exactly renowned for their brushes with the law.

The Club have attempted to tar the vast majority of fans of OUR Club by including a totally unrelated incident.

It tries to make the intelligent, well thought out and played out protests against ineptitude, which have been well supported in the media, fight for media space alongside a darker incident which shouldn't have happened.

Nasty, underhand and pretty much to be expected from the shambles running Charlton.

@PragueAddick perhaps an FOI question should include how many Football Clubs have NSY issued joint statements with "warning fans" about their behaviour.

BBC haven't given us any good press throughout this whole ordeal. I think someone there has it in for us.
  • Options
    200 plus com