Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England v Sri Lanka & Pakistan

Comments

• Options
    Means Bairstow can bat at 6 (or even 5 )
  • Options
    I agree that woakes isn't good enough but what other all rounders are currently doing well in county cricket? I don't follow it enough to name anyone
  • Options
    lolwray said:

CHG said:

For the next test I would assume we will move Bairstow and Ali up one place in the order, I would be tempted to go with Ball, really hope he gets a go.

i agree i think we have seen enough of Woakes to know that hes a very good above average county player who doesnt bowl fast enough to be a danger at the highest level ...id go for a new boy

funny though isnt it ...looking at England X1 only cook,root,bairstow,stokes (when fit) broad and anderson can be considered automatic selections
    Bowls faster than Glenn McGrath and Ed Giddins.
  • Options
    It isn't that Woakes isn't fast. It's that he isn't dangerous enough
  • Options
    Woakes has put on some decent pace, that's not the issue. His problem is he bowls gun-barrel straight - no seam or swing movement - so struggles to take wickets at Test level.

If he could get in and score runs then he might have a shot but looks likely to be Stokes' understudy.
  • Options
    I agree with the decision to bring Woakes into the squad.

He has previously been played as one of the three main quicks and batted at 9. That's not his role. I think as fourth seamer there will be less pressure on his bowling and will also allow him to bat a place or two higher with Moeen and Bairstow moving up a slot. They've obviously decided they want four seamers, as Ali isn't the most reliable bowler. So as a short term stop gap I think he is a good option. And doesn't weaken the batting too much.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    It's a shame as if stokes had remained fit I would have rested Broad for this one and played Ball. And rested Anderson for the final one.

Can't see that happening with question marks over Woakes in the side.

We need to establish a group of back up seamers who are a bit younger, give them experience and break them in gently. We have Finn and Wood(subject to fitness) we need one more really. Also rotation among quick bowlers is key in my view.
  • Options

It's a shame as if stokes had remained fit I would have rested Broad for this one and played Ball. And rested Anderson for the final one.

Can't see that happening with question marks over Woakes in the side.

We need to establish a group of back up seamers who are a bit younger, give them experience and break them in gently. We have Finn and Wood(subject to fitness) we need one more really. Also rotation among quick bowlers is key in my view.

After such an easy win, neither Broad nor Anderson need resting. Indeed one of the reasons Jimmy was so good is because he's been able to play a decent amount of cricket for Lancashire before the Test.

If Sri Lanka had put on 500 under the beating sun, it might be different though!
  • Options
    Fucking had to happen after I said that, didn't it
  • Options
    Woakes for the second test then, let's hope he takes his chance, Stokes out of the series.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Woakes takes a ninefer. Impressive.
  • Options

Woakes takes a ninefer. Impressive.

I imagine the selectors will be feeling smug tonight!
  • Options
    Anybody home?

Eng win the toss & bat.

A somewhat strange decision after the Headingley test and the overhead conditions but the English guys have looked at the pitch and decided they want runs on the board.

We are currently 33/0 from 11 overs.

Hales 20 (32)
    Cook 13 (33)

Cook needs 7 to get to 10,000 test runs.

• Options
    Yes watching before the Murray match starts.
  • Options
    39-1 Cook caught in the slips for 15.
  • Options

39-1 Cook caught in the slips for 15.

At this rate it will take Cook all summer to reach 10,000 runs!
  • Options
    Compton needs a score here.
  • Options
    edited May 2016

Compton's out for 9. He just doesn't look like a Test player to me. He looks so nervous and that's v SL.

64-2
  • Options
    LOL @ the fielder teasing Compton for like 10 seconds there. Head down, prostrate, despondent, gone for six......nah, I caught it
  • Options

Compton's out for 9. He just doesn't look like a Test player to me. He looks so nervous and that's v SL.

64-2
    Agreed.

Can see Ballance back in instead maybe.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hales reaches 50, been quite impressed with him as like Compton before the series his position was also being questioned, but he's clearly got a better temperament
  • Options
    Root 50.

He's quite good, isn't he.

153/2 (48 overs)
  • Options
    Hales out 83

160-3
  • Options
    Root is such a great cricketer. He just makes batting look so easy.

He's still only 25. Scary!!

A bold statement I know, but I honestly believe he'll be regarded as England's greatest ever batsman in years to come!
  • Options

64-2
    Agreed.

Can see Ballance back in instead maybe.
    Yes,yes,yes - can see Riv spitting his bovril out now .
  • Options
    England end up 316-6 at end of play.
  • Options
    345-6

Ali has been dropped twice & Woakes once.

Sri Lanka are fielding like a team of 10 year olds. Apart from the catching misses they aren't fielding shots either.

They so don't want to be fielding in the cold.
  • Options
    The drop of Woakes...I don't think I'll see a worse bit of wicketkeeping in the low-level club game I'm about to play
  • Options
    Woakes 39
    Broad 7

Ali 80 no

400-8

I predict we'll get them out for under 300 & overall will win the match by 200+ runs.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Century here for Moeen Ali if he's sensible.