Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England v Sri Lanka & Pakistan

Comments

• Options

Ok here we go,day 4 starts - SL309-5 , still trailing by 88.

Botham this morning saying that Durham had to bid nigh on 1 million pounds to get the Test Match, and they didnt know that the previous Test Match would be on their doorstep at Leeds.

Should have asked!
  • Options

Ok here we go,day 4 starts - SL309-5 , still trailing by 88.

Botham this morning saying that Durham had to bid nigh on 1 million pounds to get the Test Match, and they didnt know that the previous Test Match would be on their doorstep at Leeds.

Should have asked!
    Werent allowed to - it was a bidding process.
  • Options
    314-6
  • Options
    Good that SL have put up a fight here.

Cook might get a chance for his 5 runs too.
  • Options
    Well done Chandimal on your century, great to see a bit of fight in the tourists
  • Options
    Really enjoyed that feature with Cook.

Great stuff.
  • Options

Bumble on pitch inspection this morning said 'its freezing here'..... why, oh why do they have the first 2 Test matches in the furthest north grounds you can get ??!! - i'm in Portsmouth and its beautiful today, expecting to be 22 degrees, whereas Durham has top of 14 today. Surely it would have made sense to have the first 2 as far south as you could get them (ie Southampton and Lords), and then the northern ones for later in the season.
    Then again, ECB doesnt seem to do 'sense'.

The first Test is usually/often at Lord's, but Lord's wasn't expected to be ready as they have rebuilt The Warner Stand.
  • Options
    edited May 2016

Bumble on pitch inspection this morning said 'its freezing here'..... why, oh why do they have the first 2 Test matches in the furthest north grounds you can get ??!! - i'm in Portsmouth and its beautiful today, expecting to be 22 degrees, whereas Durham has top of 14 today. Surely it would have made sense to have the first 2 as far south as you could get them (ie Southampton and Lords), and then the northern ones for later in the season.

The first Test is usually/often at Lord's, but Lord's wasn't expected to be ready as they have rebuilt The Warner Stand.
    Is it finished?
  • Options
    edited May 2016

Broad 0 -54 off 20 overs.
    I'm quite glad in some ways that he is

Is it finished?
    I hope so I'm going on 9th June. The 1st day of the 3rd Test.

Well, I see it's closed for the SL Test.

https://www.lords.org/news/2015/november/warner-stand-closed-for-england-v-sri-lanka-test/
  • Options

Broad 0 -54 off 20 overs.
    I'm quite glad in some ways that he is

Is it finished?
    I hope so I'm going on 9th June. The 1st day of the 3rd Test.

Well, it's closed I think for the SL Test.

https://www.lords.org/news/2015/november/warner-stand-closed-for-england-v-sri-lanka-test/
    Must admit, the re-development looks fabulous...
    https://www.lords.org/news/2015/october/tavern-and-allen-stands-planning-approved/
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Anderson takes his 450th wicket in Tests.

SL 430-7 and lead by 33.
  • Options
    430-7 Herath lbw Jimmy.Lead by 33 - at least we might see Cooky get his 10k.

How many wickets is that now for Jimmy ?
  • Options
    I hope the Sri Lankans get a 3 figure lead. It'll be a decent test for our brittle top order.
  • Options

430-7 Herath lbw Jimmy.Lead by 33 - at least we might see Cooky get his 10k.

How many wickets is that now for Jimmy ?

Looked it up - Jimmy now has 451 wickets in 115 Test matches and is now the 6th highest of all time. He has a way to go to reel in the next man though - in 5th place is Courtney Walsh with 519 wickets in 132 matches.
  • Options
    442-8

5 wickets for Anderson
  • Options
    Chandimal still there 126 not out
  • Options

Chandimal still there 126 not out

Next ball he's bowled by Broad !
  • Options
    Any reason why he's got a brand new unbranded bat?
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    475 all out.

79 to win.
  • Options
    Kudos to the Sri Lankans for that second innings. Shame they couldn't have found a performance like that earlier on.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    And Cooky gets to 10000 test runs !
    Youngest player ever to do so at 31 years 157 days.

well done.
  • Options
    Congratulations to SL on a good innings, good to see it be a bit more competition.

More importantly congratulations to Alastair Cook, what a fantastic achievement.
  • Options
    Well done Cookie!
  • Options
    Hales out.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Win by 9 wickets.

With it the series.
  • Options
    Not sure what is going on with Steve Finn? Looks like he may be turning into another Steve Harmison, ie devastating in small patches, but equally likely to bowl a load of rubbish.

Needs to pull his finger out though, as apparently Jake Ball is coming along very fast, and we also have Mark Wood to come back from injury.

There is something about Finn that doesn't feel right for a fast bowler, he just seems a bit too nice and affable, whereas I think you need to have a bit of 'mongrel' about you, at the very top level.
  • Options
    Jimmy Anderson has gone top of the ICC rankings.

Just shows how good him and Broad have been that they are two of only bowlers to do so for England after Botham and (briefly) Harmison.

Think we'll struggle when they retire but we should enjoy it before they do!
  • Options

Not sure what is going on with Steve Finn? Looks like he may be turning into another Steve Harmison, ie devastating in small patches, but equally likely to bowl a load of rubbish.

Needs to pull his finger out though, as apparently Jake Ball is coming along very fast, and we also have Mark Wood to come back from injury.

There is something about Finn that doesn't feel right for a fast bowler, he just seems a bit too nice and affable, whereas I think you need to have a bit of 'mongrel' about you, at the very top level.

He just seems out of form and rhythm at the moment. Once Stokes is fit, presumably one of Finn or Woakes will be replaced, and Woakes is bowling better at the moment (as well as being a much better batsman)

Just shows how good him and Broad have been that they are two of only bowlers to do so for England after Botham and (briefly) Harmison.

2 quality bowlers, and the real bonus, whether through England's medical team and managing of their workload or luck, is that both have stayed so fit down the years. Neither have had the major injuries that end a bowling career or take away the zip.
  • Options

He just seems out of form and rhythm at the moment. Once Stokes is fit, presumably one of Finn or Woakes will be replaced, and Woakes is bowling better at the moment (as well as being a much better batsman)

2 quality bowlers, and the real bonus, whether through England's medical team and managing of their workload or luck, is that both have stayed so fit down the years. Neither have had the major injuries that end a bowling career or take away the zip.
    It's a scarily long batting line-up if you have Ali at 8, Woakes at 9 and Broad at 10. Hard to think of another team, now or in the past who batted so deep.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    We have 9 top players and 2 not so from our first choice 11.

Cook, Root, Stokes, Ali, Broad, Anderson - world class compared to opposition at present.

Hales, Bairstow (batting excellent, keeping adequate), Wood/Finn/Woakes - strong by comparison

Compton, Vince - average, but could/hopefully will improve.