Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pope off?

Comments

• Options
    Be interesting to see what happens with Dillon Phillips this week... He's also Out of Contract yet isnt he also going to be injured for a while longer?

Wouldn't be surprised if he was to join Cheltenham on a permanent deal, especially if Pope does hang around
  • Options
    Mitov not good enough. What's happened to Phillips. Not sure if his contract is being renewed. 37 games for Cheltenham. Much better and more experience than Dimi.
  • Options
    I had quite a long chat with Pope at Player Of The Year and he seemed really optimistic that if we could keep a lot of the squad together we'd have a good chance of bouncing straight back up this season. In fact his whole tone was that of he would be happy to stay so it'd be interesting to see if he's sold because RD can't resist the sound of the cash till or whether a move to Celtic would turn his head?
  • Options
    With Dudu Dahan's connections to Celtic - I would not be surprised to see some of our players end up there.
  • Options
    I though Pope was one of the very few who was nailed on to stay. Still I can't say I'm surprised. I always though there would be a mass exodus if Riga went and that's now looking more likely by the day.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

We need to keep Pope.

Along with Tex, Bauer, Cousins, and Ventokele. We need that spine and then add to it.

Wishful thinking.
  • Options
    Has Ventokele Vetokele got it in him , obviously he was a top top player those first dozen or so games but ever since he's been proper shit IMO
    Although I was drunk for the last few games I attended so he may have looked ok and be heading in the right direction
    I suppose he's worth persevering with for a little longer not that anyone would want to buy him anyway
  • Options
    No way Popey will turn his back on CAFC when they need him most.
  • Options
    Strikes me as the transfer we might regret most if RD lets him go, because it won't be for much money.

Lookman and JBG will be a big loss, but I feel like Pope could well go to the top.
  • Options
    Sounds like his agent has been pretty active. If that's the case then he clearly doesn't want to stay and would fully expect him to be gone, can't blame him really.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I though Pope was one of the very few who was nailed on to stay. Still I can't say I'm surprised. I always though there would be a mass exodus if Riga went and that's now looking more likely by the day.

With the way this club is run and the mess we're in, i wouldn't class anyone as being nailed on to stay. Quite literally any half decent player we have must be looking to get out and who could blame them.

We'll be left with utter shite that no one wants like Johnson and Sarr.
  • Options
    Celtic do not have a manager so I'm assuming this is just a rumour.

Burnley have a goalkeeper in the England squad. Pope would be stupid to go there to be 2nd/3rd choice. Look what a move did to hammers career. Yes I know he is at the premier league champions but 3rd choice behind a 92 year old! He doesn't make the bench and would not have got a medal
  • Options

Isn't that more that we didn't think other clubs would be that interested in him? A player may be happy to stay BUT then can receive an unexpected offer
  • Options
    Burnley seem to be interested in Pope, as back up to Heaton.

The PL this season was full of former Charlton keepers, all back ups at their current clubs, Randolph At West Ham, Elliott at Newcastle and Hamer at Leicester...
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

Sounds like his agent has been pretty active. If that's the case then he clearly doesn't want to stay and would fully expect him to be gone, can't blame him really.

Hah, you are making the heroic assumption that agents only act on instructions from their clients. In reality, agents are "proactive on behalf of their clients" for the simple reason that this is how they make their make their money. Ask Joe Gomez.

• Options

No way Popey will turn his back on CAFC when they need him most.

Especially after abuse dished out at him..
  • Options
    From what I can remember reading about Pope during the last year or two, his priority is to play regular 1st team football.

• Options

Not that I approve of letting go of Pope, but Marko Dmitrovic is still our player and a very good keeper. But he probably thinks himself better than the Third Division too. What a mess

His contract is up this summer, and I can't see him wanting to stay
    Might do.......AD Alcorcon missed the Spanish Second Division Play Offs. If he came back to Charlton he'd be playing in front of 8,000 - 12,000 (imo) as against 3,000-5,000 in Spain or elsewhere.
  • Options
    The sneezing ghost from Rentaghost?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    colthe3rd said:

I can't think of many players who wouldn't take a move if they were offered one. Club is a joke and only players who will be here in the summer are those that no one else wants. Jackson, Johnson etc.
  • Options
    That would be the last of the summer 2011 intakes gone.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Wouldn't blame pope wanting to leave , the amount of abuse he got earlier on the season was embarrassing
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

From what I can remember reading about Pope during the last year or two, his priority is to play regular 1st team football.

Until someone offers to treble his salary.... Just hope he doesnt go the same way as poyet.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Football goes out of the window once a player sees the contract on offer.

I don't reckon Poyet is losing too much sleep over the splinters in his backside from the past 12 months.
  • Options
    Rob Elliott enjoyed splinters and a huge salary increase.
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited May 2016

Rob Elliott enjoyed splinters and a huge salary increase.

Charlton got a derisory fee from Newcastle, I remember, shortly after they received a ridiculous amount of money for Andy Carroll from Liverpool.
  • Options

Has Ventokele Vetokele got it in him , obviously he was a top top player those first dozen or so games but ever since he's been proper shit IMO
    Although I was drunk for the last few games I attended so he may have looked ok and be heading in the right direction
    I suppose he's worth persevering with for a little longer not that anyone would want to buy him anyway

I don't think we'll ever see a return to those heady days of August 2014-November 2014 ever again

We've definitely handled his injuries badly, but I think we're clutching at straws that if we can just get him fit again we'll have some goal machine
  • Options
    IF Pope goes then I hope we go after Daniel Bentley, he is out of contract but would command a fee.
  • Options
    cabbles said:

I don't think we'll ever see a return to those heady days of August 2014-November 2014 ever again

We've definitely handled his injuries badly, but I think we're clutching at straws that if we can just get him fit again we'll have some goal machine
    He'd get 20 in league 1; better player than BWP. I think there's no chance of him staying, however