Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pope off?

Comments

• Options
    Davo55 said:

Whoever is accepting these derisory bids for our players must be a total Amateur = Meire.

Looks like she is ready to accept any offer. Just a girl who can't say 'no'. Under other circumstances an interesting trait, but in this case....PASS.
    Got a fair set tbf.

Davo55 said:

Whoever is accepting these derisory bids for our players must be a total Amateur = Meire.

Looks like she is ready to accept any offer. Just a girl who can't say 'no'. Under other circumstances an interesting trait, but in this case....PASS.
    Got a fair set tbf.
    She has got a fair pair of tits....Roland and Richard she likes to call them.
    Two big ones may I say.
  • Options
    Dmitrovic has definitely gone to AD Alcorcon.

If Henderson and Pope leave too then it's a complete shambles. The only 'reason' behind it must be trimming the wage bill, and, quite possibly, RD limiting his further financial exposure to Charlton, particularly after the Brexit vote and the overall economic uncertainties.

The other clubs in 'the network' don't come anywhere near this level of instability - yes they buy, sell and loan some players each season, but compared to them we've been in continuous turmoil since he took over.

His actions at Charlton are unique and out of keeping with how he deals with the other clubs.
  • Options

I am seriously thinking Charlton might be a good bet for another relegation. The Regime have not changed their tactics in my opinion.

25/1 with Bet 365. As short as 10/1 with others.
  • Options

I am seriously thinking Charlton might be a good bet for another relegation. The Regime have not changed their tactics in my opinion.

25/1 with Bet 365. As short as 10/1 with others.
    25/1 is a good price.
  • Options

LoOkOuT said:

I'm fairly sure that the sale of Pope to a Premier League side was not expected by anyone on here or at the club even just a few months back.

That's partly the point. They don't know what they're doing. Literally, the job of the SMT is to expect these kinds of things. To plot a course, and make contingency plans. Look how long it took to appoint Slade, once their first few choices knocked then back. They had no contingency. They don't know how the game works so they're not able to factor in potential outcomes. They just react. Badly.

Worst of all, there is absolutely nothing to suggest that they'll be able to make the right decisions once the player leaves. The hole gets deeper.

They have shown themselves incapable of learning and that's why, what must be the most forgiving and slow to anger supporter base in English football, have organised an effective campaign to get shot of them.

Sounds like I'm defending the regime but how do we know that we havnt already identified goalkeepers ?

We assume that because of previous experience but we don't know.

the sale of Dimitrov shows they havent got any strategic plan. If they had, they would have foreseen that Pope, a young English keeper, might attract bids. They would have held Dimitrov while waiting to see. After all, the owner of Dimitrov's new club could not have pressurised us, could he?
    Or our coaches rated both Phillips and Mitov above him and not expecting Pope to move ?

• Options

LenGlover said:

If it is true that Slade is choosing his players (I don't believe Meire's spin re this) then he is presumably happy and in agreement with the departures of Cousins, Pope and any others that disappear before the season starts.

Why ?

If Slade can choose who he wants to bring in within the agreed budget, why would that mean he is happy with the departure of certain players ? These are 2 different issues, although interlinked.
    If a player is under contract (which both Pope and Cousins were) then surely the manager has some input as to whether or not those players leave if he truly has the autonomy claimed over player matters?

That is why I suggest, somewhat facetiously as I don't believe a word Meire says, that Slade must be happy.
  • Options

Dmitrovic has definitely gone to AD Alcorcon.

If Henderson and Pope leave too then it's a complete shambles. The only 'reason' behind it must be trimming the wage bill, and, quite possibly, RD limiting his further financial exposure to Charlton, particularly after the Brexit vote and the overall economic uncertainties.

The other clubs in 'the network' don't come anywhere near this level of instability - yes they buy, sell and loan some players each season, but compared to them we've been in continuous turmoil since he took over.

His actions at Charlton are unique and out of keeping with how he deals with the other clubs.

Which points the finger at Meire.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

LenGlover said:

If it is true that Slade is choosing his players (I don't believe Meire's spin re this) then he is presumably happy and in agreement with the departures of Cousins, Pope and any others that disappear before the season starts.

Why ?

If Slade can choose who he wants to bring in within the agreed budget, why would that mean he is happy with the departure of certain players ? These are 2 different issues, although interlinked.
    If a player is under contract (which both Pope and Cousins were) then surely the manager has some input as to whether or not those players leave if he truly has the autonomy claimed over player matters?

That is why I suggest, somewhat facetiously as I don't believe a word Meire says, that Slade must be happy.
    I thought Slade's autonomy was being able to bring in his own players within an agreed budget, as opposed to the laptop Belgians recruiting.

This doesn't mean he can stop players being sold. I'm not sure there are many managers who can do that part from say Alex Ferguson when at Man U.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

LoOkOuT said:

I'm fairly sure that the sale of Pope to a Premier League side was not expected by anyone on here or at the club even just a few months back.

That's partly the point. They don't know what they're doing. Literally, the job of the SMT is to expect these kinds of things. To plot a course, and make contingency plans. Look how long it took to appoint Slade, once their first few choices knocked then back. They had no contingency. They don't know how the game works so they're not able to factor in potential outcomes. They just react. Badly.

Worst of all, there is absolutely nothing to suggest that they'll be able to make the right decisions once the player leaves. The hole gets deeper.

They have shown themselves incapable of learning and that's why, what must be the most forgiving and slow to anger supporter base in English football, have organised an effective campaign to get shot of them.

Sounds like I'm defending the regime but how do we know that we havnt already identified goalkeepers ?

We assume that because of previous experience but we don't know.

the sale of Dimitrov shows they havent got any strategic plan. If they had, they would have foreseen that Pope, a young English keeper, might attract bids. They would have held Dimitrov while waiting to see. After all, the owner of Dimitrov's new club could not have pressurised us, could he?
    Or our coaches rated both Phillips and Mitov above him and not expecting Pope to move ?

Well, they may have rated those two higher. The Serbian National set up rates Dimitrov, and frankly at this time, I know which of the two I trust more.

• Options
    Now I'm hearing Cheltenham want Phillips permanently
  • Options

Now I'm hearing Cheltenham want Phillips permanently

Oh FFS. Is Slade having a say in all this? No, thought not
  • Options
    The general reaction seems a bit OTT in my opinion. If we go back to mid season (Jan time) people would have bitten Burnley's hand off for £1m.

I am sure Slade, an experienced manager at this level, has more than a few replacements in mind. I just hope he's given full control over who comes in. Will reserve judgement until then.
  • Options
    jamescafc said:

The general reaction seems a bit OTT in my opinion. If we go back to mid season (Jan time) people would have bitten Burnley's hand off for £1m.

I am sure Slade, an experienced manager at this level, has more than a few replacements in mind. I just hope he's given full control over who comes in. Will reserve judgement until then. </blockquote

But for me it's not the 'offloading' of Pope - it's the general clear out of goalkeepers 3 weeks before the start of the season

• Options
    I can see a goalkeeping error in the 90th minute away at Bury as a dead cert
  • Options
    We always knew that a lot of players would leave this summer, as unlike MKD where their team in general is full of honest players who struggle at Championship level, we've clearly got players up to Championship level or higher. Our relegation was down to gross mismanagement and bad signings last summer

Losing both Pope and Henderson reminds me of us losing Randolph because he wasn't playing, then Elliott to Newcastle. I think keepers are easier to replace, when you look at the roll call of keepers we've had in the last few years. Ben Alnwick and David Button were both brought in as reserves for us who've had good careers elsewhere
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Had this been under another regime I don't think we would be getting the same reaction from fans about this sale, and I don't think people would be all of a sudden overrating Pope's ability.

I know we don't like selling players in and around the first team, but Nick Pope really isn't that good. I don't enjoy saying it, but he was a liability more often than not. Let's not let hatred cloud judgement here. Replacing him with another keeper won't be difficult, and Stephen Henderson (when fit) is a better keeper by far.
  • Options
    Post very little these days. Reading CL is like watching Eastenders. Afterwards you feel totally depressed.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    masicat said:

Post very little these days. Reading CL is like watching Eastenders. Afterwards you feel totally depressed.

...and the need to re-evaluate what you're doing with your weeknights.
  • Options
    On top of everything else if we now need to get a replacement in it will either be somebody out of contract (no doubt with good reason) or otherwise any selling club will realize our situation- no other keepers and just received £1mill plus and will up the price) we should at the very least have told Burnley "no deal" until we have sorted a replacement.
  • Options
    jamescafc said:

I am sure Slade, an experienced manager at this level, has more than a few replacements in mind. I just hope he's given full control over who comes in. Will reserve judgement until then.

I suspect that where he can Slade will want to build his own team, not fix somebody else's. I doubt he's losing sleep about losing any of last years squad if they are not 100% committed to the cause and if they are willing to talk to other teams then they are not 100% committed to the cause.
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited July 2016
    Pope will get the experience of a decent team and footballing set up and access to proper coaching at Burnley. It is a shame as probably being a First team goalkeeper would have likely be the best thing to help his development and a Charlton rise back up the league. I don't blame Pope for accepting an escape route from Duchatelet & Meire's ambitionless mad strategy of failure.

I wish Pope well and am sorry that his ambitions could not be currently met at Charlton.

Unfortunately as a Charlton supporter, I can't transfer my loyalty to a new club. I support Charlton and that's my team. I won't be able to support another. Duchatelet & Meire leave me with a choice of opposing them or walking away from football altogether. I know that is something that Meire finds a very weird way of thinking, but this is the case.

I want a decent owner & CEO. I want to regain confidence that the club has ambition and trying to be the best they can be. Under Duchatelet and Meire there is about as much chance of that as the hair on Alan Shearer & Danny Murphy's head returning.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Had this been under another regime I don't think we would be getting the same reaction from fans about this sale, and I don't think people would be all of a sudden overrating Pope's ability.

I know we don't like selling players in and around the first team, but Nick Pope really isn't that good. I don't enjoy saying it, but he was a liability more often than not. Let's not let hatred cloud judgement here. Replacing him with another keeper won't be difficult, and Stephen Henderson (when fit) is a better keeper by far.

If this was under another regime we wouldn't be selling three goalkeepers at once leaving only youth players during pre-season. We'll need to get in another two decent keepers now which is a ridiculous situation to be in when the rest of the squad is so thin
  • Options
    where is Jonathan Acworth when you need him?
    When we were in the Prem he was always coming up with names of lower league players whom he felt would prosper at the higher level.

Worst case scenario is that RD will revert to type and send over a reserve Keeper from the Belgian League and tell Slade to get on with it - after all that's what he did to Chris Powell.
  • Options
    Cheltenham WANTING Phillips doesn't mean he'll go, Christ, York wanted Pope, didn't happen though.
  • Options
    Let's see who replaces pope as first choice keeper before we go Golbat crazy.