Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pope off?

123457»

Comments

• Options
    To be fair I'm sure he didnt expect a Premier League side to show interest.

What if he was to reject Burnley and stay with Charlton only to be injured in October in the style of Demba Ba?
  • Options

LoOkOuT said:

I'm fairly sure that the sale of Pope to a Premier League side was not expected by anyone on here or at the club even just a few months back.

That's partly the point. They don't know what they're doing. Literally, the job of the SMT is to expect these kinds of things. To plot a course, and make contingency plans. Look how long it took to appoint Slade, once their first few choices knocked then back. They had no contingency. They don't know how the game works so they're not able to factor in potential outcomes. They just react. Badly.

Worst of all, there is absolutely nothing to suggest that they'll be able to make the right decisions once the player leaves. The hole gets deeper.

They have shown themselves incapable of learning and that's why, what must be the most forgiving and slow to anger supporter base in English football, have organised an effective campaign to get shot of them.

Sounds like I'm defending the regime but how do we know that we havnt already identified goalkeepers ?

We assume that because of previous experience but we don't know.

the sale of Dimitrov shows they havent got any strategic plan. If they had, they would have foreseen that Pope, a young English keeper, might attract bids. They would have held Dimitrov while waiting to see. After all, the owner of Dimitrov's new club could not have pressurised us, could he?
    Or our coaches rated both Phillips and Mitov above him and not expecting Pope to move ?

Well, they may have rated those two higher. The Serbian National set up rates Dimitrov, and frankly at this time, I know which of the two I trust more.

But Phillips and Mitov are not Serbian. How do we know how the Serbs would have rated them ;0)

• Options

LoOkOuT said:

I'm fairly sure that the sale of Pope to a Premier League side was not expected by anyone on here or at the club even just a few months back.

That's partly the point. They don't know what they're doing. Literally, the job of the SMT is to expect these kinds of things. To plot a course, and make contingency plans. Look how long it took to appoint Slade, once their first few choices knocked then back. They had no contingency. They don't know how the game works so they're not able to factor in potential outcomes. They just react. Badly.

Worst of all, there is absolutely nothing to suggest that they'll be able to make the right decisions once the player leaves. The hole gets deeper.

They have shown themselves incapable of learning and that's why, what must be the most forgiving and slow to anger supporter base in English football, have organised an effective campaign to get shot of them.

Sounds like I'm defending the regime but how do we know that we havnt already identified goalkeepers ?

the sale of Dimitrov shows they havent got any strategic plan. If they had, they would have foreseen that Pope, a young English keeper, might attract bids. They would have held Dimitrov while waiting to see. After all, the owner of Dimitrov's new club could not have pressurised us, could he?
    Or our coaches rated both Phillips and Mitov above him and not expecting Pope to move ?

Well, they may have rated those two higher. The Serbian National set up rates Dimitrov, and frankly at this time, I know which of the two I trust more.

But Phillips and Mitov are not Serbian. How do we know how the Serbs would have rated them ;0)

The Serbs could have had a look at Mitov, as he's from their next door neighbours.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

We've spent 5 years developing Pope, he has time on his contract and a season as first choice in Leagud One would be ideal for him considering he's only just looked comfortable in our first team.

Yet we let him go for little over £1m (and perhaps a few clauses).

Ridiculous but same old from RD and KM.

Exactly this. Any other club in league one would be asking for 2m minimum for a good young english goalkeeping prospect. We practically give him away to balance the books even though our owner is worth 500m+. Fucking idiots.
  • Options

LoOkOuT said:

The Serbs could have had a look at Mitov, as he's from their next door neighbours.
    That's a serious point for us. Dimitrov is a pretty good benchmark for Mitov, since Serbia and Bulgaria are currently in a similar place on the international spectrum. Generally, Serbia produces more raw talent, but Mitov might be unlucky, and find a couple of decent keepers in front of him. I have a Bulgarian buddy who is well connected in footie (he who helped us get Kishi) so I will ask him to track Mitov. Fact remains, Dimitrov had more experience than Mitov now does, when he arrived.
  • Options
    Is there still a sell on with Nick Pope? Would imagine Burnley will struggle to keep him if they're relegated. Potentially a decent windfall in time for the transfer window?
  • Options
    He's not worth anything like what he was being valued at a couple of years ago but maybe could go for 10-15 million I'd think? If we've still got a sell on that would be a decent amount.
  • Options
    They were raving about him on MotD the last couple of games.
  • Options
    It’s been reported as 20% in the past, but these things can change. Three years ago, he was being touted at £18m. Seems to have had a very good season for Burnley after recovering from injury. Turned 30 last month, so that value could start to drop.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    30 is a very good age for a GK. The quality goalkeepers seem to peak around 30 and maintain that level for another four or five years. Signing Pope could be very good business for any club. All things being equal he could solve your stopper problems for the next four to five seasons. I don’t think his value is dropping right now.
  • Options
    I think Fulham and £12m. That would give us around £2.5 million.
  • Options
    Depends if Burnley go down I guess.

Most people want Everton to go, not me.
  • Options
    Southampton never seem to be able to make up their minds between McCarthy and Forster. At one point last season Hasenhuttl was swapping one for the other each and every game. Is that because they are both good keepers but not exceptional and would they, perhaps, bring in the younger Pope as number one and offload one of the others?
  • Options
    I've given up on anything coming to us from a sale of Nick Pope, with the numpties we've had running us in the last few years, they'd have probably trousered it by selling it for a small fee unfortunately.
  • Options
    I've given up on anything coming to us from a sale of Nick Pope, with the numpties we've had running us in the last few years, they'd have probably trousered it by selling it for a small fee unfortunately.
    In August 2020 Cawley said sell on clauses were in place for Pope, Gomez, Grant etc.

https://twitter.com/richcawleyslp/status/1297948187437797381?s=21&t=GXTuOVZZZV95tk8mnoUMlA
  • Options
    Even if Burnley don't go down, Pope is an excellent keeper who could surely do an excellent job for a bigger PL side, who don't expect their keeper to be a great with his feet. Someone like West Ham for example.
  • Options
    2 years left on his deal (1 year + club option for one more), so this is realistically the last year that we have a hope of getting any decent money in the sell on. 
  • Options
    They'll probably stay up and hang on to him
  • Options
    If Burnley do stay up then now is the last chance to cash in. Perhaps a lot depends if they feel they have a decent number two ready to step in. The money from the sale of Pope might fund a couple of players that help them retain their Premiership place. If they get relegated then I’m sure he’ll be off. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    And even if it did, we probably wouldn’t use it wisely anyway.
  • Options
    He is likely to stay at Turf Moor if they avoid relegation I reckon.
  • Options
    Whenever I read the thread title I think of competitors waving, riding the Pope mobile and giving blessings. 

There can only be one winner!