Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pope off?

Comments

• Options
    He's young and currently number one playing first team football. He has perhaps 15 years ahead of him. If he's going to make it at the very top level he needs to put in the groundwork now which means playing first team football and not sitting on the bench or worse.

He'd be an absolute mug to leave just yet career wise but then it often comes down to money.
  • Options

IF Pope goes then I hope we go after Daniel Bentley, he is out of contract but would command a fee.

Couldn't agree more. Seen Southend play more times this season than Charlton and is has shown some real quality in goal. Plus my son thinks he's great so if he signed for Charlton he'd be happy.
  • Options
    Always thought Dillon Phillips would make an excellent goalkeeper and as good as if not better than Pope. Shame hes out of contract end of June especially if Pope is sold!
  • Options

Not that I approve of letting go of Pope, but Marko Dmitrovic is still our player and a very good keeper. But he probably thinks himself better than the Third Division too. What a mess

His contract is up this summer, and I can't see him wanting to stay
    Might do.......AD Alcorcon missed the Spanish Second Division Play Offs. If he came back to Charlton he'd be playing in front of 8,000 - 12,000 (imo) as against 3,000-5,000 in Spain or elsewhere.
    12,000 next season? Would that be an actual gate, or a phantom number we get told every time we play at The Valley?
  • Options
    cabbles said:

Has Ventokele Vetokele got it in him , obviously he was a top top player those first dozen or so games but ever since he's been proper shit IMO
    Although I was drunk for the last few games I attended so he may have looked ok and be heading in the right direction
    I suppose he's worth persevering with for a little longer not that anyone would want to buy him anyway

I don't think we'll ever see a return to those heady days of August 2014-November 2014 ever again

We've definitely handled his injuries badly, but I think we're clutching at straws that if we can just get him fit again we'll have some goal machine
    Agreed. He is garbage.
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:

cabbles said:

Has Ventokele Vetokele got it in him , obviously he was a top top player those first dozen or so games but ever since he's been proper shit IMO
    Although I was drunk for the last few games I attended so he may have looked ok and be heading in the right direction
    I suppose he's worth persevering with for a little longer not that anyone would want to buy him anyway

I don't think we'll ever see a return to those heady days of August 2014-November 2014 ever again

We've definitely handled his injuries badly, but I think we're clutching at straws that if we can just get him fit again we'll have some goal machine
    He'd get 20 in league 1; better player than BWP. I think there's no chance of him staying, however
    bwp had a great team around him though
  • Options

IF Pope goes then I hope we go after Daniel Bentley, he is out of contract but would command a fee.

I think Daniel Bentley is too good for League One football, he'll have a lot of Championship clubs after him.
  • Options
    Was anyone else disappointed when they opened this thread and realised it was some form of religious dance off?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2016/05/20/report-wolves-interested-in-charlton-athletics-nick-pope/

Wolverhampton Wanderers are interested in signing Nick Pope from Charlton Athletic in the summer transfer window, according to South London Today.

It has been reported that Championship outfit Wolves are monitoring the current situation of the 24-year-old goalkeeper.

Pope has been on the books of Charlton since 2011 and has a contract until June 2018.

However, the Addicks’ relegation from the Championship to League One means that the London club could be forced to sell the highly-rated goalkeeper.

Wolves are not the only club interested in signing Pope in the summer transfer window, though.

According to a recent report on TEAMtalk.com, Leeds United, Crystal Palace, Celtic, Burnley, Nottingham Forest and Hull City are all interested in the 24-year-old.

Pope kept six clean sheets in 24 Championship appearances for Charlton this past season, making 3.04 saves per game and 2.28 saves per goal on average in the process.

The 24-year-old is a very good goalkeeper, but one suspects that for any club to sign him, they would have to assure him of regular first-team chances.
  • Options
    marko has triggered a one year extension to his contract... so popey might well be on his way.
  • Options
    Losing pope and Henderson would be a terrible result.

Pope looked shaky in the championship at the start of the season and very good at the end. Did I read the goalkeeping coach has just left?

Got to keep one of them.
  • Options

Losing pope and Henderson would be a terrible result.

Pope looked shaky in the championship at the start of the season and very good at the end. Did I read the goalkeeping coach has just left?

Got to keep one of them.

Charlton now need a goal keeping coach ? (to add to the list)
  • Options
    Phillips signed a new deal.... Pope off? How many keepers do we need??
  • Options
    BWP is an absolute hero in New York.
  • Options
    I think it would be wrong for him to leave. I say this, not because I am a Charlton fan, but because I believe it would hamper his development. He has just managed to break through to be number 1 at our club, why move, to go and sit on the bench once again. Surely, he would be better off, staying with us, get a full season under his belt, then move on. I hate when youngsters, with potential, move to bigger clubs, then just sit on the bench. Look how much poyet has regressed since he left us for the spanners.
  • Options
    If we are serious about returning to the championship next year, we need to keep players who have the ability to play there. Pope is one of those players.

If he stays, he could go on to be one of our all time greats. I think he has the ability to be up there with Kiley. Needs to be number 1 at a club. No reason why it should not be us.

IfI was to advise him it would be to get a full year at any club playing week in week out and then see what is about. Could end up at a top club. Best goalkeeper we have had in a long time.
  • Options
    In his own words:
    'Enjoy the good times because there aren't obviously too many'.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yy_vyKJqpBs
  • Options
    Pope off? Is that a higher form of bashing your bishop?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

marko has triggered a one year extension to his contract... so popey might well be on his way.

Has he now? Well having been able to see him live out here last summer, and with the endorsement of my Serbian mates, I would be confident if he was guarding our sticks.

But Popey is one of ours. And we supposedly aim to be back at a level where a quota of English players is important. Losing Pope as well as Hendo is a sign of zero ambition.
  • Options
    Losing Pope would be a bigger blow than Hendo imo. Pope's loan spells at York and Bury were ridicously good, and he has been excellent the end of this season. Plus he is only 24. Must keep hold of him, we will regret it even if a high bid comes for him.
  • Options

Losing Pope would be a bigger blow than Hendo imo. Pope's loan spells at York and Bury were ridicously good, and he has been excellent the end of this season. Plus he is only 24. Must keep hold of him, we will regret it even if a high bid comes for him.

Reckon he could be our Player of the Year next season depending where we are in the League and the amount of clean sheets he gets for us, i.e. If we're towards the bottom then it'll be a sign of how he's kept us in matches, if we're near the top then you'd expect an Attacker to get it
  • Options
    should have been our player of the year this year
  • Options
    edited June 2016
  • Options
    Also Paul Robinson doesn't appear to be accepting a one year contract at Burney so maybe two vacancies there.
  • Options
    They were after Boaz Myhill though werent they
  • Options

Also Paul Robinson doesn't appear to be accepting a one year contract at Burney so maybe two vacancies there.

THAT Paul Robinson? He's still alive...? That takes me back
  • Options
    Bye Popey.
    Wish you had stayed.
    Good Luck.