Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pope off?

Comments

• Options

Jackson in goal, as his legs have gone?.
    Steve Brown could be a cheaper option.

There's no way that Brown would work for this regime.
    He won't let us down.
  • Options

Jackson in goal, as his legs have gone?.
    Steve Brown could be a cheaper option.

There's no way that Brown would work for this regime.
    He won't let us down.
    That's a good point.
  • Options
    How about Hales...He had a spell in goal, and would not let us down.
    I'm sure he would have a few kind words for dear Katrien.
  • Options

Good strategy by burnley. Sign a cheap promising young guy to learn from Heaton for a year then sell Heaton for mega bucks next season. Good move for Pope. More money, chance to learn, out of this madhouse with a clean slate. Makes total sense for him and good luck to him. I was a huge critic and am still not convinced if I'm honest. But he came on in leaps and bounds last year. For charlton it makes no sense at all unless the fee is silly but when did anything we do last make sense?

Hendo has burnt his bridges and has to go. Shame as I like him but ther you go.

Where does all that leave us? Thoroughly rogered (I know, I know!) but nothing new there. Season ticket? Hahahahahahahahahahahaha!

It's got nothing to do with this regime or madhouse, a 3rd Division keeper has been offered a FAR better contract to play in the PL, albeit on the bench. If Pope had been at MKD, he would have made the same decision.

The only sad thing, is that another of our former keepers will now be a reserve, rather than actually playing week in, week out. Elliott, Randolph, Hamer, now Pope.
  • Options

I don't know what's worse; the fact we're selling our two decent first team ready goalkeepers with pre-season already underway, or the fact we have been in a position this window to sell three bloody goalkeepers despite the fact we got relegated last season due to our tiny inadequate squad. Honestly, do the insane people involved with this club not see how completely crap they are at this??

Why forcibly alienate Henderson if you're just going to accept a bid for Pope when it comes in? Why bring Dmitrovic in at all if you're just going to gently blooter him out the door at the first opportunity? Bob Peeters went off on one after his sacking about how Dmitrovic wasn't the level of cover he needed during Henderson's injury, so Marko was never at the level we needed and there was clearly no plan to develop him as we've just quietly scrubbed him from the board even though we're selling all our other keepers. So, so many of our transfers were clearly wrong at the time and then we end up actually paying to get the players off our books after it's proven beyond all doubt. How does Meire keep getting away with it? She must be an accounts black hole if nothing else

When the season kicks off we're either going to have a team full of players that have barely kicked a ball together, or we are going to have a tiny squad made up of most of the crap players from last year, a few kids that aren't ready and the three signings we've already made.
  • Options
    Id have john Sullivan back
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Good strategy by burnley. Sign a cheap promising young guy to learn from Heaton for a year then sell Heaton for mega bucks next season. Good move for Pope. More money, chance to learn, out of this madhouse with a clean slate. Makes total sense for him and good luck to him. I was a huge critic and am still not convinced if I'm honest. But he came on in leaps and bounds last year. For charlton it makes no sense at all unless the fee is silly but when did anything we do last make sense?

Hendo has burnt his bridges and has to go. Shame as I like him but ther you go.

Where does all that leave us? Thoroughly rogered (I know, I know!) but nothing new there. Season ticket? Hahahahahahahahahahahaha!

It's got nothing to do with this regime or madhouse, a 3rd Division keeper has been offered a FAR better contract to play in the PL, albeit on the bench. If Pope had been at MKD, he would have made the same decision.

The only sad thing, is that another of our former keepers will now be a reserve, rather than actually playing week in, week out. Elliott, Randolph, Hamer, now Pope.
    Sorry, but now I have understood that Dimitrov has indeed been sold to Alcorcon (fee?) then I believe @Garrymanilow is right, and you are wrong. On its own your comment about Pope is right, but we (That is, the RD regime, with its grand superior strategy) are supposed to have a plan for that sort of thing as part of the bigger picture. Please apply your "cold logic" to our goalkeeping resource since RD took over. You will struggle. Where is the bigger picture, the superior plan in action? Its a fucking fire-sale, nothing more.
    I'm fairly sure that the sale of Pope to a Premier League side was not expected by anyone on here or at the club even just a few months back.
    Reckon it all comes down to the fact that Pope had a good game against Leeds and then a good game against Burnley.

Dyche will have scouted the Leeds game and seeing Pope against Burnley was probably enough to make his mind up... Reckon had we not faced Burnley at the end of the season he wouldnt be leaving
  • Options
    If Burnley upped their offer a few times then I am wondering why it stopped where it stopped and the deal was agreed when it was.
    On the face of it you could argue that the trajectory was in the right direction, and the amount of money that Burnley now have would seem to justify a decent fee for their second choice keeper, even to themselves if you get my meaning.
    Was it panic by Roland that any offer would be withdrawn and he blinked first?
    Was it (and this would fit the pattern) another terrible negotiation?
    One thing that didn't seem to be the trigger was us getting our goalkeeper situation sorted first. Dimitov sold, Phillips recovering from a substantial injury, Henderson marginalised and disaffected, Mitov pretty much untried, and then you delve once again into the academy structure...all of these things were evident at the start of the Burnley transfer process, what changed last Thursday or so?
  • Options
    seth plum said:

If Burnley upped their offer a few times then I am wondering why it stopped where it stopped and the deal was agreed when it was.
    On the face of it you could argue that the trajectory was in the right direction, and the amount of money that Burnley now have would seem to justify a decent fee for their second choice keeper, even to themselves if you get my meaning.
    One thing that didn't seem to be the trigger was us getting our goalkeeper situation sorted first. Dimitov sold, Phillips recovering from a substantial injury, Henderson marginalised and disaffected, Mitov pretty much untried, and then you delve once again into the academy structure...all of these things were evident at the start of the Burnley transfer process, what changed last Thursday or so?

Doesn't your last paragraph point towards the sale of Pope being quite unexpected ?

• Options
    If it is true that Slade is choosing his players (I don't believe Meire's spin re this) then he is presumably happy and in agreement with the departures of Cousins, Pope and any others that disappear before the season starts.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

If it is true that Slade is choosing his players (I don't believe Meire's spin re this) then he is presumably happy and in agreement with the departures of Cousins, Pope and any others that disappear before the season starts.

Why ?

If Slade can choose who he wants to bring in within the agreed budget, why would that mean he is happy with the departure of certain players ? These are 2 different issues, although interlinked.
  • Options

seth plum said:

Doesn't your last paragraph point towards the sale of Pope being quite unexpected ?

Well quite.
    Unexpected by Slade who is trying to build for the season just three weeks away possibly.
    Where does that leave him in terms of being in the loop?
  • Options
    seth plum said:

seth plum said:

Well quite.
    Unexpected by Slade who is trying to build for the season just three weeks away possibly.
    Where does that leave him in terms of being in the loop?
    LenGlover said:

If there is truth in the Jay Simpson rumour. Do you seriously believe that would be driven by Meire and not by Slade ?

I know we have endured bitter experiences under this regime but for me at least this seems unlikely at best.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    LoOkOuT said:

I'm fairly sure that the sale of Pope to a Premier League side was not expected by anyone on here or at the club even just a few months back.

That's partly the point. They don't know what they're doing. Literally, the job of the SMT is to expect these kinds of things. To plot a course, and make contingency plans. Look how long it took to appoint Slade, once their first few choices knocked then back. They had no contingency. They don't know how the game works so they're not able to factor in potential outcomes. They just react. Badly.

Worst of all, there is absolutely nothing to suggest that they'll be able to make the right decisions once the player leaves. The hole gets deeper.

They have shown themselves incapable of learning and that's why, what must be the most forgiving and slow to anger supporter base in English football, have organised an effective campaign to get shot of them.

Sounds like I'm defending the regime but how do we know that we havnt already identified goalkeepers ?

We assume that because of previous experience but we don't know.

• Options

LoOkOuT said:

That's partly the point. They don't know what they're doing. Literally, the job of the SMT is to expect these kinds of things. To plot a course, and make contingency plans. Look how long it took to appoint Slade, once their first few choices knocked then back. They had no contingency. They don't know how the game works so they're not able to factor in potential outcomes. They just react. Badly.

Worst of all, there is absolutely nothing to suggest that they'll be able to make the right decisions once the player leaves. The hole gets deeper.

They have shown themselves incapable of learning and that's why, what must be the most forgiving and slow to anger supporter base in English football, have organised an effective campaign to get shot of them.

Sounds like I'm defending the regime but how do we know that we havnt already identified goalkeepers ?

I doubt we have knowing the incompetent trio running the show.
  • Options
    Whoever is accepting these derisory bids for our players must be a total Amateur = Meire.
  • Options
    I am seriously thinking Charlton might be a good bet for another relegation. The Regime have not changed their tactics in my opinion.
  • Options

I am seriously thinking Charlton might be a good bet for another relegation. The Regime have not changed their tactics in my opinion.

Blackpool did, why can't we?

I reckon Oyston and squirrel face meet up to discuss new ideas on how to f*** the fans over.
  • Options

Said it earlier, don't think they will go down but certainly worth a small wager.
  • Options
    Supposed to be a favourite to go up which means should get great odds for a relegation. Maybe Roland is really a secret gambler and has had 30 mill on us to go down last season !
  • Options

LoOkOuT said:

Fair point but you've answered your own question :-)
  • Options

Whoever is accepting these derisory bids for our players must be a total Amateur = Meire.

Looks like she is ready to accept any offer. Just a girl who can't say 'no'. Under other circumstances an interesting trait, but in this case....PASS.
  • Options
    Davo55 said:

Looks like she is ready to accept any offer. Just a girl who can't say 'no'. Under other circumstances an interesting trait, but in this case....PASS.
    Got a fair set tbf.