Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Transfer rumours thread (DEADLINE DAY starts page 300)

Comments

• edited July 2016
    The absolute best as I see it to start the season would be:

New GK

Solly
    Bauer
    New CB
    Fox

Holmes
    New CM
    New CM
    Harriot

Ajose
    Novak

SUBS:

Mitov
    Diarra (when fit) / Lennon
    Buxton
    Holmes-Dennis
    Crofts
    New ST
    Watt (though guess he will go)

Squad players:

Konsa
    Ahearne Grant
    And a load of under 11s.

Goodbye:

Henderson
    Pope
    Tex
    JBG
    Probably Watt
    Lookman (though a loan back would mean I would play him on the left of a front three)
  • Realistically Crofts won't be signing to be third choice and Jackson will be in the squad.
  • If Manc or Arsenal sign Lookman then I'd imagine they'd look for a Championship loan move for him. I'd love to see him running at league 1 defenders but I can't see it some how.

Still, at least we saw a future star of the premiership! :smile:
  • seth plum said:

One thing that seems to be emerging is that Slade has about as much influence on player movement as Powell, Riga, Peeters, Luzon, and Fraeye.
    The regime throw the managers a few crumbs like Vetokele or Kashi or Ajose and then compel them to use desperate loans or unready youngsters.
    If there is to be any hope then a convincing narrative that Slade is in charge in a completely different way to previous managers then he needs a meaningful budget and autonomy over arrivals and to an extent departures.
    Older lifers might know what I mean by saying Slade needs his 'clause four' moment.
    The only other refuge for fans is to see wins, however they happen, luck, fluke, dominate, overwhelm I don't care, but wins are the only acceptable diet...oh and promotion.
    The current vibe for me is a nice innocent man who is dancing to the same old tune, presumably for the money.
    The darker interpretation is that Slade is gung ho complicit with this regime.

You seem to be determined to micro analyse every event or transfer as evidence of some failing of RD. In this instance we really do need to wait until the final (or near final) squad is in place. I don't get the references by some that RD is in sme way trying to extract value from the club. You just don't make meaningful returns in most cases of football ownership, there will be a budget that Slade knows to work within.

Players always leave and indeed should as the collective result was relegation.

The domino effect and brinkmanship at all clubs in negotiations means many transfers go to the wire of deadline day. It's not healthy but is the reality.

As far as I can see Slade is determining the players and KM holds the purse strings - some deals come off and some don't.

A million for Pope if true is a good deal based on his perceived ability by many on here - he didn't consistently inspire confidence in us all.

Slade does not seem to have much say in the players we are selling.

Give Lookman, Watt and Teixeira leaving then unless Slade tells us to f*** off it leads me to think he is another yes man.
    Don't see it that way myself. Slade knew ( so did we) when he joined that there were going to be sales that included those you mention and others. It's what happens when teams get relegated. Nothing specific to Charlton.

I think he's been given a budget which he pretty much needs to stick to which is again nothing new. He signed three decent quality players early on and now needs to see where his money can best be spent dependent on who leaves and who stays.
  • FORD said:

You realise I was quoting someone else but that post now seems to have gone?

I do, but do you realise that I was quoting you quoting someone else? :smiley:
    I do now : - )
  • I dont see Lookman going anywhere... If he was going to leave then teams would have signed him by now (i.e. Young talent means teams cant dither else someone else will nip in and get him)... i.e. with Joe Gomez last summer there were rumours (substantial ones) from the moment we played against Bournemouth on the last day of the season
  • The absolute best as I see it to start the season would be:

New GK

Solly
    Bauer
    New CB
    Fox

Holmes
    New CM
    New CM
    Harriot

Ajose
    Novak

SUBS:

Mitov
    Buxton
    Holmes-Dennis
    Crofts
    New ST

Squad players:

Konsa
    Ahearne Grant
    And a load of under 11s.

Goodbye:

Henderson
    Pope
    Tex
    JBG
    Probably Watt
    Lookman (though a loan back would mean I would play him on the left of a front three)

if your best includes Harriot after his performances so far, I'm not hopeful
  • edited July 2016
    Crusty54 said:

The absolute best as I see it to start the season would be:

New GK

Solly
    Bauer
    New CB
    Fox

Holmes
    New CM
    New CM
    Harriot

Ajose
    Novak

SUBS:

Mitov
    Buxton
    Holmes-Dennis
    Crofts
    New ST

Squad players:

Konsa
    Ahearne Grant
    And a load of under 11s.

Goodbye:

Henderson
    Pope
    Tex
    JBG
    Probably Watt

if your best includes Harriot after his performances so far, I'm not hopeful
    You mean the same Harriott who excelled at this level with Colchester last season... Give them bloody time!!

Also should be given time if the likes of Ipswich (a Championship side I might add) were rumoured to be wanting him a few weeks ago
  • Crusty54 said:

A new manager has seen his squad play three friendlies so far. He will know the shape of the team he wants and whether existing players can fit.

He will have been given a budget to work with. Give him a chance to do his job and see what his squad is before the first game.

Unfortunately the club has always sold popular players to balance the books. No difference now and much like every other club in the country.

This is a rumours thread not a speculation one. You don't know the financial aspects of transfer deals so why get upset at guesses from blogs and journalists?

I can see where you're coming from.

But I can almost hear the excuses now.

"I only got these players in a week or so ago, so it will take 4 or 5 games to get them working together"

"We've not really had the time to get players in"

And the usual deadline day quote at 10pm. "There wasn't any chance of getting a deal done today" - we only had 3 months to get it done.

We need to bring in 6/7 maybe 8 players. Without anymore going. It's farcical.
    If we're serious about promotion we need to have a squad ready for 6th August. We won't. Nothing has changed.
  • Sponsored links:

• colin1961 said:

I want to be optimistic and say we have a keeper lined up......we all know that this isn't the case

Sam Walker from Colchester is what I've heard, But how true that is I don't know.
    A club like Charlton can't stop a young player like Pope moving to the prem sorry it's not going to happen but what we can do is get a decent fee and it looks like we have again with a sell on clause
    Of course you can. You just reject the offer and tell him to get on with it.
    Like.
    There's a button for that Elfs.
    I know but I do not want to add to his total!
    I was going to locate you at Bury and buy you a pint at Bury as well.
    Mine's a large dry white wine! Will be at Bury with Elfs
    A lady with taste! Same drink as me.
    Don't tell me you want a drink as well?
    Don't worry. I'm not going to Bury.
  • seth plum said:

One thing that seems to be emerging is that Slade has about as much influence on player movement as Powell, Riga, Peeters, Luzon, and Fraeye.
    The regime throw the managers a few crumbs like Vetokele or Kashi or Ajose and then compel them to use desperate loans or unready youngsters.
    If there is to be any hope then a convincing narrative that Slade is in charge in a completely different way to previous managers then he needs a meaningful budget and autonomy over arrivals and to an extent departures.
    Older lifers might know what I mean by saying Slade needs his 'clause four' moment.
    The only other refuge for fans is to see wins, however they happen, luck, fluke, dominate, overwhelm I don't care, but wins are the only acceptable diet...oh and promotion.
    The current vibe for me is a nice innocent man who is dancing to the same old tune, presumably for the money.
    The darker interpretation is that Slade is gung ho complicit with this regime.

You seem to be determined to micro analyse every event or transfer as evidence of some failing of RD. In this instance we really do need to wait until the final (or near final) squad is in place. I don't get the references by some that RD is in sme way trying to extract value from the club. You just don't make meaningful returns in most cases of football ownership, there will be a budget that Slade knows to work within.

Players always leave and indeed should as the collective result was relegation.

The domino effect and brinkmanship at all clubs in negotiations means many transfers go to the wire of deadline day. It's not healthy but is the reality.

As far as I can see Slade is determining the players and KM holds the purse strings - some deals come off and some don't.

A million for Pope if true is a good deal based on his perceived ability by many on here - he didn't consistently inspire confidence in us all.

Slade does not seem to have much say in the players we are selling.

Give Lookman, Watt and Teixeira leaving then unless Slade tells us to f*** off it leads me to think he is another yes man.
    You can't seriously have believed JBG and Cousins were going to stay. The surprise is Pope but everyone has a price.

The names you quote are likely to go as well and Slade would realise that more than you or I. Reality is we are 3rd tier now and that limits appeal to existing and prospective players.

Of course not, I realise that players will go.

Call me green but it would be nice if we were looking to try and keep players rather than out at the earliest possible opportunity. At least try and give it till the January window then let them go if we are not in an agreed position in the table.

The Belgians have no ambition.

• On the bright side, there's no excuse for not finding replacements if players are sold early.
  • Has Colin been silenced?

I've just seen (on the main page) that he commented on this thread @ 12:52pm yet there is no comment on here?

Someone has caught up with him and cut the fingers off the moron.

I've just seen (on the main page) that he commented on this thread @ 12:52pm yet there is no comment on here?

Great news - one less person to buy a beer for at Bury.
  • Charlton chasing orients Jay Simpson sunday mirror......an actual rumour at last!

"I liked it" because it's a rumour on a rumour thread ....

So where are we drinking then?
  • Charlton chasing orients Jay Simpson sunday mirror......an actual rumour at last!

Now that's a signing! !
  • Sponsored links:

• Is that Homer Jay Simpson
  • It's not a confirmed rumour until Colin updates us with it on page 145.
  • edited July 2016

Has Colin been silenced?

I'm up there from Friday for the weekend, so will be in Manchester (probably around Piccadilly Gardens from around half 11.
  • Was Simpson signed by Slade at Orient?
  • edited July 2016

Of course not, I realise that players will go.

Call me green but it would be nice if we were looking to try and keep players rather than out at the earliest possible opportunity. At least try and give it till the January window then let them go if we are not in an agreed position in the table.

The Belgians have no ambition.

So Pope moving on alone then is the concern?

And if he decided he wanted to go cashing in makes sense. Nothing RD specific in this sort of transaction. As I've read it on here the club resisted but inevitably a mutually acceptable price was found.

End of August is when we will know.
  • Valley11 said:

Was Simpson signed by Slade at Orient?

Yes.
  • Watt replacement ?
  • I dont see Lookman going anywhere... If he was going to leave then teams would have signed him by now (i.e. Young talent means teams cant dither else someone else will nip in and get him)... i.e. with Joe Gomez last summer there were rumours (substantial ones) from the moment we played against Bournemouth on the last day of the season

I think that Lookman will be going. Maybe a chance of a loan back to us.

• Crusty54 said:

A new manager has seen his squad play three friendlies so far. He will know the shape of the team he wants and whether existing players can fit.

He will have been given a budget to work with. Give him a chance to do his job and see what his squad is before the first game.

Unfortunately the club has always sold popular players to balance the books. No difference now and much like every other club in the country.

This is a rumours thread not a speculation one. You don't know the financial aspects of transfer deals so why get upset at guesses from blogs and journalists?

I can see where you're coming from.

But I can almost hear the excuses now.

"I only got these players in a week or so ago, so it will take 4 or 5 games to get them working together"

"We've not really had the time to get players in"

And the usual deadline day quote at 10pm. "There wasn't any chance of getting a deal done today" - we only had 3 months to get it done.

We need to bring in 6/7 maybe 8 players. Without anymore going. It's farcical.
    If we're serious about promotion we need to have a squad ready for 6th August. We won't. Nothing has changed.
    You're right. If RD was really really serious about promotion then nothing would be left to chance. A suitable squad would be nearing completion irrespective of which players they wanted/needed to leave. This smells like the last 2 summers.

I'm up there from Friday for the weekend, so will be in Manchester (probably around Piccadilly Gardens from around half 11.
    We get in to Piccadilly for 10.30 and are looking to take over Bury by 11.30!