Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Transfer rumours thread (DEADLINE DAY starts page 300)

Comments

• Gillis said:

Wow... Southend United have signed Simon Cox (Out of Contract) from Reading.

Thats a really good signing for them, someone who hasn't scored lots of goals yet last time he was in League One he scored 46 goals over around 80-games

Would have loved him at the Valley!!

Southend have a proper CEO.
    Southend have more ambition! Seriously starting to think that lessons haven't been learnt with this lot, balancing the book is the only ambition they have.
  • FORD said:

Gillis said:

Thats a really good signing for them, someone who hasn't scored lots of goals yet last time he was in League One he scored 46 goals over around 80-games

Southend have a proper CEO.
    Southend have more ambition! Seriously starting to think that lessons haven't been learnt with this lot, balancing the book is the only ambition they have.
    That has always been and still is their only strategy.
  • Wow... Southend United have signed Simon Cox (Out of Contract) from Reading.

We've got enough cox already.
  • "Shut up you idiot"

Nice one : - (
  • If we are serious about emulating the promotion season under Powell we should be identifying some of the best L1 players from last season and getting them signed up.

We made a good start with Ajose and Novak.

Next, I'd like to see us go after Marcus Maddison from Peterborough.

We're nowhere near the level of recruitment of that off season. Three players signed so far and plenty more leaving. Not a chance are we even competing for the playoffs as it stands.
  • Don't forget no loans after August this season so the squad needs to be in place. So no plugging the gaps.

I'm sure Roland is well aware of that....

All we've done under this ownership is plug gaps. And that all we will continue to do. I'd be absolutely amazed if we managed to muster a top half finish.
    This. Expect more signings of ageing, crocked journeymen on short-term contracts with young players that aren't good enough.
  • colin1961 said:

We've got enough cox already.
    One min your moaning about washed up free transfer etc etc then you want Simon Cox there a reason he is at Southend , let you work it out

Southend get Cox we get Ajose
    Don't quote me! I didn't say it!

Like i said we've got enough cox......
  • colin1961 said:

Pope was poor most of last year. Had 2 or three good performances near the end but 1 million is good return. Now if we sell Henderson and leave us short, then that would be crazy

More like 6 or 7. 1m is a current reflection on ability but katrien miere doesn't seem to consider potential in negotiations. He has potential and keeps a lot of clean sheets with the league positions of the teams we have loaned him to significantly improving with him in the team. Like katrien, I'm no CEO! I havent negotiated a transfer before but surely potential is factored into the fee? Or am I wrong
    Henderson injury prone you need a better fitter keeper
    Like Nick Pope...
  • Colin is what Andy Delort looks like!
  • Sponsored links:

• "Shut up you idiot"

• As football fans we are inherently optimistic, everyone thinks this could be their year and mistakes of the past are easily forgotten/overlooked. It takes a lot to destroy that, there may even be an optimistic Blackpool supporter somewhere, although I doubt it. As for us most of that optimism has been obliterated over the last few seasons, then Ajose etc came along and even the most sceptical among us saw a glimmer of hope, but now that seems an age ago as they have reverted to type.

If they cared about what the supporters think then they need an urgent bit of good news.
  • seth plum said:

One thing that seems to be emerging is that Slade has about as much influence on player movement as Powell, Riga, Peeters, Luzon, and Fraeye.
    The regime throw the managers a few crumbs like Vetokele or Kashi or Ajose and then compel them to use desperate loans or unready youngsters.
    If there is to be any hope then a convincing narrative that Slade is in charge in a completely different way to previous managers then he needs a meaningful budget and autonomy over arrivals and to an extent departures.
    Older lifers might know what I mean by saying Slade needs his 'clause four' moment.
    The only other refuge for fans is to see wins, however they happen, luck, fluke, dominate, overwhelm I don't care, but wins are the only acceptable diet...oh and promotion.
    The current vibe for me is a nice innocent man who is dancing to the same old tune, presumably for the money.
    The darker interpretation is that Slade is gung ho complicit with this regime.

You seem to be determined to micro analyse every event or transfer as evidence of some failing of RD. In this instance we really do need to wait until the final (or near final) squad is in place. I don't get the references by some that RD is in sme way trying to extract value from the club. You just don't make meaningful returns in most cases of football ownership, there will be a budget that Slade knows to work within.

Players always leave and indeed should as the collective result was relegation.

The domino effect and brinkmanship at all clubs in negotiations means many transfers go to the wire of deadline day. It's not healthy but is the reality.

As far as I can see Slade is determining the players and KM holds the purse strings - some deals come off and some don't.

A million for Pope if true is a good deal based on his perceived ability by many on here - he didn't consistently inspire confidence in us all.

• A new manager has seen his squad play three friendlies so far. He will know the shape of the team he wants and whether existing players can fit.

He will have been given a budget to work with. Give him a chance to do his job and see what his squad is before the first game.

Unfortunately the club has always sold popular players to balance the books. No difference now and much like every other club in the country.

This is a rumours thread not a speculation one. You don't know the financial aspects of transfer deals so why get upset at guesses from blogs and journalists?
  • edited July 2016
    The usual crap decision making from the regime is very disheartening, a small chink of light is that, talking to other supporters of league one teams, most squads were not very strong and the teams that did well last year did so because of good loan signings.

...and we are so good at them....sigh
  • Sponsored links:

• Crusty54 said:

A new manager has seen his squad play three friendlies so far. He will know the shape of the team he wants and whether existing players can fit.

He will have been given a budget to work with. Give him a chance to do his job and see what his squad is before the first game.

Unfortunately the club has always sold popular players to balance the books. No difference now and much like every other club in the country.

This is a rumours thread not a speculation one. You don't know the financial aspects of transfer deals so why get upset at guesses from blogs and journalists?

I can see where you're coming from.

But I can almost hear the excuses now.

"I only got these players in a week or so ago, so it will take 4 or 5 games to get them working together"

"We've not really had the time to get players in"

And the usual deadline day quote at 10pm. "There wasn't any chance of getting a deal done today" - we only had 3 months to get it done.

We need to bring in 6/7 maybe 8 players. Without anymore going. It's farcical.
    This.

Our last signing of last years summer transfer window was Nabby Sarr towards the end of July.

Worried we will follow the same pattern of not strengthening whilst we had the chance.
  • As we stand the squad is isn't going to be good enough for a promotion push. That's assuming we lose Texeira, Henderson, Lookman and Watt who I think will all leave. If those four are replaced with good quality then I think the fact that Diarra and Kashi will have to stay because of injury would mean when (if) fit we would have a decent league one squad.

I'm still very concerned that there doesn't appear to be any creativity in central midfield. That would be my priority position to bring in.

I'm still not in panic mode. I think there is a plan. It's just that at this stage until the "outs" are sorted the plan is flexible.
  • FORD said:

"Shut up you idiot"

You realise I was quoting someone else but that post now seems to have gone?
  • seth plum said:

One thing that seems to be emerging is that Slade has about as much influence on player movement as Powell, Riga, Peeters, Luzon, and Fraeye.
    The regime throw the managers a few crumbs like Vetokele or Kashi or Ajose and then compel them to use desperate loans or unready youngsters.
    If there is to be any hope then a convincing narrative that Slade is in charge in a completely different way to previous managers then he needs a meaningful budget and autonomy over arrivals and to an extent departures.
    Older lifers might know what I mean by saying Slade needs his 'clause four' moment.
    The only other refuge for fans is to see wins, however they happen, luck, fluke, dominate, overwhelm I don't care, but wins are the only acceptable diet...oh and promotion.
    The current vibe for me is a nice innocent man who is dancing to the same old tune, presumably for the money.
    The darker interpretation is that Slade is gung ho complicit with this regime.

You seem to be determined to micro analyse every event or transfer as evidence of some failing of RD. In this instance we really do need to wait until the final (or near final) squad is in place. I don't get the references by some that RD is in sme way trying to extract value from the club. You just don't make meaningful returns in most cases of football ownership, there will be a budget that Slade knows to work within.

Players always leave and indeed should as the collective result was relegation.

The domino effect and brinkmanship at all clubs in negotiations means many transfers go to the wire of deadline day. It's not healthy but is the reality.

As far as I can see Slade is determining the players and KM holds the purse strings - some deals come off and some don't.

A million for Pope if true is a good deal based on his perceived ability by many on here - he didn't consistently inspire confidence in us all.

Slade does not seem to have much say in the players we are selling.

Give Lookman, Watt and Teixeira leaving then unless Slade tells us to f*** off it leads me to think he is another yes man.
  • As we stand the squad is isn't going to be good enough for a promotion push. That's assuming we lose Texeira, Henderson, Lookman and Watt who I think will all leave. If those four are replaced with good quality then I think the fact that Diarra and Kashi will have to stay because of injury would mean when (if) fit we would have a decent league one squad.

I'm still very concerned that there doesn't appear to be any creativity in central midfield. That would be my priority position to bring in.

I'm still not in panic mode. I think there is a plan. It's just that at this stage until the "outs" are sorted the plan is flexible.

The only plan is balancing the books, f*** what happens on the pitch.
  • their aim last year was to make us "competitive" and thats their aim this year with less income.

There is no ice berg out there