Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Transfer rumours thread (DEADLINE DAY starts page 300)

Comments

• Sorry if this has been said already but I wonder if Konchesky would come back?
  • Sorry if this has been said already but I wonder if Konchesky would come back?

Good shout that.

No thanks
  • seth plum said:

One thing that seems to be emerging is that Slade has about as much influence on player movement as Powell, Riga, Peeters, Luzon, and Fraeye.
    The regime throw the managers a few crumbs like Vetokele or Kashi or Ajose and then compel them to use desperate loans or unready youngsters.
    If there is to be any hope then a convincing narrative that Slade is in charge in a completely different way to previous managers then he needs a meaningful budget and autonomy over arrivals and to an extent departures.
    Older lifers might know what I mean by saying Slade needs his 'clause four' moment.
    The only other refuge for fans is to see wins, however they happen, luck, fluke, dominate, overwhelm I don't care, but wins are the only acceptable diet...oh and promotion.
    The current vibe for me is a nice innocent man who is dancing to the same old tune, presumably for the money.
    The darker interpretation is that Slade is gung ho complicit with this regime.

You seem to be determined to micro analyse every event or transfer as evidence of some failing of RD. In this instance we really do need to wait until the final (or near final) squad is in place. I don't get the references by some that RD is in sme way trying to extract value from the club. You just don't make meaningful returns in most cases of football ownership, there will be a budget that Slade knows to work within.

Players always leave and indeed should as the collective result was relegation.

The domino effect and brinkmanship at all clubs in negotiations means many transfers go to the wire of deadline day. It's not healthy but is the reality.

As far as I can see Slade is determining the players and KM holds the purse strings - some deals come off and some don't.

A million for Pope if true is a good deal based on his perceived ability by many on here - he didn't consistently inspire confidence in us all.

Slade does not seem to have much say in the players we are selling.

Give Lookman, Watt and Teixeira leaving then unless Slade tells us to f*** off it leads me to think he is another yes man.
    You can't seriously have believed JBG and Cousins were going to stay. The surprise is Pope but everyone has a price.

The names you quote are likely to go as well and Slade would realise that more than you or I. Reality is we are 3rd tier now and that limits appeal to existing and prospective players.

Of course not, I realise that players will go.

Call me green but it would be nice if we were looking to try and keep players rather than out at the earliest possible opportunity. At least try and give it till the January window then let them go if we are not in an agreed position in the table.

The Belgians have no ambition.

Spoke with Nick Pope at some length at last season's Sponsors' dinner and what a smashing young man he is....

Unless the couple of vinos I'd sipped in a ladylike fashion that evening clouded my judgement, I'd swear he had no intention of leaving us during the close season & was proud of his achievements in goal since he replaced Henders.

It follows, that as EA stated, no great attempt has been made by the cabal to persuade him to stay.

As always, the sniff of a "profit" means any relevant players are ushered out without a backwards glance.

Just as we are "customers", the players are commodities.

And whether we have an English manager or not, nothing will change this modus operandi.

Looks like my guesstimate of 6 debuts at Bury will not he too far out.
  • seth plum said:

One thing that seems to be emerging is that Slade has about as much influence on player movement as Powell, Riga, Peeters, Luzon, and Fraeye.
    The regime throw the managers a few crumbs like Vetokele or Kashi or Ajose and then compel them to use desperate loans or unready youngsters.
    If there is to be any hope then a convincing narrative that Slade is in charge in a completely different way to previous managers then he needs a meaningful budget and autonomy over arrivals and to an extent departures.
    Older lifers might know what I mean by saying Slade needs his 'clause four' moment.
    The only other refuge for fans is to see wins, however they happen, luck, fluke, dominate, overwhelm I don't care, but wins are the only acceptable diet...oh and promotion.
    The current vibe for me is a nice innocent man who is dancing to the same old tune, presumably for the money.

You seem to be determined to micro analyse every event or transfer as evidence of some failing of RD. In this instance we really do need to wait until the final (or near final) squad is in place. I don't get the references by some that RD is in sme way trying to extract value from the club. You just don't make meaningful returns in most cases of football ownership, there will be a budget that Slade knows to work within.

The domino effect and brinkmanship at all clubs in negotiations means many transfers go to the wire of deadline day. It's not healthy but is the reality.

As far as I can see Slade is determining the players and KM holds the purse strings - some deals come off and some don't.

A million for Pope if true is a good deal based on his perceived ability by many on here - he didn't consistently inspire confidence in us all.

Give Lookman, Watt and Teixeira leaving then unless Slade tells us to f*** off it leads me to think he is another yes man.
    You can't seriously have believed JBG and Cousins were going to stay. The surprise is Pope but everyone has a price.

The names you quote are likely to go as well and Slade would realise that more than you or I. Reality is we are 3rd tier now and that limits appeal to existing and prospective players.

Call me green but it would be nice if we were looking to try and keep players rather than out at the earliest possible opportunity. At least try and give it till the January window then let them go if we are not in an agreed position in the table.

Spoke with Nick Pope at some length at last season's Sponsors' dinner and what a smashing young man he is....

Unless the couple of vinos I'd sipped in a ladylike fashion that evening clouded my judgement, I'd swear he had no intention of leaving us during the close season & was proud of his achievements in goal since he replaced Henders.

It follows, that as EA stated, no great attempt has been made by the cabal to persuade him to stay.

As always, the sniff of a "profit" means any relevant players are ushered out without a backwards glance.

And whether we have an English manager or not, nothing will change this modus operandi.

Spot on
  • seth plum said:

Spot on
    except that he didn't know at that point that a Premier League team would want him. Not easy to say no to a move that will set him up for the rest of his life.
  • btw Lookman was substituted after 75 minutes as England U19s beat Holland 2-1 with a late winner.
  • Crusty54 said:

seth plum said:

Spot on
    except that he didn't know at that point that a Premier League team would want him. Not easy to say no to a move that will set him up for the rest of his life.
    Fair enough, but I'll wager he won't be overjoyed if the Burnley no 1 stays fit all season. Nick struck me as a lad that wants to play...

But, of course, he has his future to consider & money talks.

• Sponsored links:

• Fair enough, but I'll wager he won't be overjoyed if the Burnley no 1 stays fit all season. Nick struck me as a lad that wants to play...

He will probably be number 2 this season and when Burnley are relegated and sell Heaton, he will be number one in the championship
  • ross1 said:

Fair enough, but I'll wager he won't be overjoyed if the Burnley no 1 stays fit all season. Nick struck me as a lad that wants to play...

He will probably be number 2 this season and when Burnley are relegated and sell Heaton, he will be number one in the championship

He's got a lot to prove, even at Championship level
  • wmcf123 said:

ross1 said:

He's got a lot to prove, even at Championship level

Maybe, but put him in goal with a reasonably settled back four (that inspires a bit of confidence) and I'd expect him to be excellent over the course of the season - as he showed last season.

He was never as bad as some made out, and has real potential, in a decent side (which no longer seems to be us).
  • Sponsored links:

• 90 posts and 1 rumour. Jay Simpson.

• dickplumb said:

I dont see Lookman going anywhere... If he was going to leave then teams would have signed him by now (i.e. Young talent means teams cant dither else someone else will nip in and get him)... i.e. with Joe Gomez last summer there were rumours (substantial ones) from the moment we played against Bournemouth on the last day of the season

I think that Lookman will be going. Maybe a chance of a loan back to us.

Now we're league one, perhaps the buying club will prefer to send him back to a championship club.
  • 248 missed posts, skipped to page 139 and I'm not sure I've missed anything. What rumours?
  • I hate football.

I love football, especially the comedy show of England at a major tournament. What I hate is Roland and all he brings with him.
  • DRAddick said:

colin1961 said:

colin1961 said:

I want to be optimistic and say we have a keeper lined up......we all know that this isn't the case

Sam Walker from Colchester is what I've heard, But how true that is I don't know.
    A club like Charlton can't stop a young player like Pope moving to the prem sorry it's not going to happen but what we can do is get a decent fee and it looks like we have again with a sell on clause
    Of course you can. You just reject the offer and tell him to get on with it.
    Like Scott Parker ??
    Scot Parker was proven at the top level and on decent wages and so was in a much stronger position. Pope isn't proven and isn't on big wages.
    It's easier to keep Pope because he isn't on big wages and is being offered a massive pay increase (presumably)? No, don't see the logic in that.
  • edited July 2016
    _MrDick said:

_MrDick said:

I'm having some money on us to be relegated ...

Really??? Yes we are mid fire sale but Wimbledon, Shrewsbury, Oldham can only dream of players like solly, Holmes, Novak etc. Yes it's disappointing but players will come in. Promotion, no! Relegation, no. Upper mid table, yes
    Yes, really. We're in the middle of a fire sale and there'll be others gone by the end of the window. Tex, Bauer, Lookman, Watt will all go, I reckon and replaced with ??? We'll have a small squad and when injuries bite and with no emergency loans, it all points to one thing ... Disaster. I'm usually a glass half full person but as @oohaahmortimer would say Promotion 0% Mid table 50% Relegation 50%
    Breaking news: @oohaahmortimer sues for copyright infringement.
  • markmc68 said:

90 posts and 1 rumour. Jay Simpson.

It's a transfer Rumour on a transfer Rumour thread - I don't know what more you want :smiley:
  • their aim last year was to make us "competitive" and thats their aim this year with less income.

There is no ice berg (sic) out there

There doesn't need to be. We're already holed below the waterline and bailing with a colander.
  • Has Colin been silenced?

I've just seen (on the main page) that he commented on this thread @ 12:52pm yet there is no comment on here?

Someone has caught up with him and cut the fingers off the moron.
    Great news - one less person to buy a beer for at Bury.
    Why's that? He can still use a straw.
  • _MrDick said:

_MrDick said:

I'm having some money on us to be relegated ...

Really??? Yes we are mid fire sale but Wimbledon, Shrewsbury, Oldham can only dream of players like solly, Holmes, Novak etc. Yes it's disappointing but players will come in. Promotion, no! Relegation, no. Upper mid table, yes
    Yes, really. We're in the middle of a fire sale and there'll be others gone by the end of the window. Tex, Bauer, Lookman, Watt will all go, I reckon and replaced with ??? We'll have a small squad and when injuries bite and with no emergency loans, it all points to one thing ... Disaster. I'm usually a glass half full person but as @oohaahmortimer would say Promotion 0% Mid table 50% Relegation 50%
    Breaking news: @oohaahmortimer sues for copyright infringement.
    Ooh aah also goes into a very considered and carefully developed formula that no one will ever decipher. He doesn't just throw numbers out there like this. This needs some work :wink: