Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Transfer rumours thread (DEADLINE DAY starts page 300)

Comments

• edited July 2016
    So first game a little over 2 weeks away.

Bauer back in full training on Monday apparently and has been doing tonnes of fitness work. I am hoping this means he will be ready for Bury and Tex wont go anywhere in 2 weeks... Team so far (best case scenario):

New GK

Solly
    Fox
    Texeira
    Bauer

Holmes
    New CM
    New CM
    Harriott

Novak
    Ajose (needs to get fit).

Subs:

Mitov
    Buxton
    Holmes-Dennis
    Jackson
    Ceballos
    New Winger to compete with Holmes and Harriott
    New Striker to replace Watt

So for me the keeper is a no brainer and will happen (don't think Hendo will go till new one is in), CMs are vital (probaby only get one and Jackson will start).

Need 3 to even look half presentable and ideally 5. Then attention goes to pad the squad out.

The defence above is promotion standard for league 1, on paper the strikeforce has the goals in it to be classed that way too. Midfield is crap.
  • Two new signings ?

Remember those shirts they were the days
    Luvly jubly
    At least Rodney's mum was a fayn
  • During my conversion with Patrick Bauer, I asked him if he was staying at Charlton and he teasingly said, well, I'm still under contract! I didn't want to press him further as it it wasn't really appropriate, but my gut feeling was that he was staying, but heh, what does my gut know!
  • I think we're 6/7 off being competitive enough to go up.

1/2 GK (Only expect to bring in 1)
    1 RB
    2 CB's (Buxton coming in covers both RB and one CB position. If well sell Tex then he also needs replacing)
    1 CM minimum. Ideally 2
    1 winger
    1 striker minimum. 2 if Lookman goes.

• FORD said:

Last summer all over again...we all know that on eve transfer deadl

I think we're 6/7 off being competitive enough to go up.

1 RB
    2 CB's (Buxton coming in covers both RB and one CB position. If well sell Tex then he also needs replacing)
    1 CM minimum. Ideally 2
    1 winger

What use is half a goalkeeper?
    If it's Jim standard then 1/2 is more than enough.
  • edited July 2016
    If we keep what we've got, with a few additions we have the makings of a good team at this level.

We also have the makings of a shit squad, as soon as injuries, bookings appear we're down to the under 15s again
  • FORD said:

Last summer all over again...we all know that on eve transfer deadl

I think we're 6/7 off being competitive enough to go up.

1 RB
    1 CM minimum. Ideally 2
    1 winger

What use is half a goalkeeper?
    Didn't realise Thuram was back.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2016

If ever there was an example of a corporate head office culture this is it.

To seriously have announced an appointment 5/ 6 weeks ago and still not have the contract done and dusted is appalling.

The same could be said about bringing in Kevin Nugent some 10 days into pre-season. Why did his appointment take so long after Slade was brought in?

Nightmeire has probably been swanning off on a break somewhere or at another conference blowing her own trumpet :wink:
  • sam3110 said:

Swisdom said:

My understanding is the signings we have made were all Slade's choices. In addition to that he hasn't failed to acquire one of his targets yet.

That may be but a least one has said they were approached by Katrien Meire before Slade was in the frame and declined until he could speak to the manager.
    I hadn't heard that... which one?
    Lee Novak.

Charlton’s move for Novak came before Slade was appointed earlier this month.
    “I spoke to Katrien [Meire, chief executive] a bit but the club didn’t have a manager, so things can change,” he said.
    “Then when I came down last Monday I met the gaffer. He showed me around the ground and the training ground. Once he told me what he had planned I was pretty much decided straightaway I wanted to go there.

http://www.southlondonpress.co.uk/article.cfm?id=118695&headline=Charlton new boy Lee Novak: My Chesterfield loan move was a gamble that paid off with a great move&sectionIs=sport&searchyear=2016
    Miere made first contact and got him interested enough, and Novak decided he would wait until the gaffer was in place and speak to him, to see what his plans were. To be honest, that doesn't exactly read like she's done anything wrong, but meeting Slade sealed the deal for him
    Not really my point, which is that this signing was lined up before Slade and therefore it's not as clear cut as Slade choosing all the players. He may of course have had the chance to veto.
  • RedChaser said:

If ever there was an example of a corporate head office culture this is it.

To seriously have announced an appointment 5/ 6 weeks ago and still not have the contract done and dusted is appalling.

The same could be said about bringing in Kevin Nugent some 10 days into pre-season. Why did his appointment take so long after Slade was brought in?

Nightmeire has probably been swanning off on a break somewhere or at another conference blowing her own trumpet :wink:
    Or maybe Roland's?
  • Redhenry said:

Now the teams back from Austria, the head of recruitment should now be signing his contract. This should see more players coming in.

Not sure I see the connection between the two. Why would the signing of players have been compromised by the lack of signature on the head of recruitment's contract?
  • During my conversion with Patrick Bauer, I asked him if he was staying at Charlton and he teasingly said, well, I'm still under contract! I didn't want to press him further as it it wasn't really appropriate, but my gut feeling was that he was staying, but heh, what does my gut know!

Maybe the German Addicks have had a word with him . There was a nice picture of them with Patrick outside the Oak .
  • sam3110 said:

Swisdom said:

My understanding is the signings we have made were all Slade's choices. In addition to that he hasn't failed to acquire one of his targets yet.

That may be but a least one has said they were approached by Katrien Meire before Slade was in the frame and declined until he could speak to the manager.
    I hadn't heard that... which one?
    Lee Novak.

Charlton’s move for Novak came before Slade was appointed earlier this month.
    “I spoke to Katrien [Meire, chief executive] a bit but the club didn’t have a manager, so things can change,” he said.
    “Then when I came down last Monday I met the gaffer. He showed me around the ground and the training ground. Once he told me what he had planned I was pretty much decided straightaway I wanted to go there.

http://www.southlondonpress.co.uk/article.cfm?id=118695&headline=Charlton new boy Lee Novak: My Chesterfield loan move was a gamble that paid off with a great move&sectionIs=sport&searchyear=2016
    Miere made first contact and got him interested enough, and Novak decided he would wait until the gaffer was in place and speak to him, to see what his plans were. To be honest, that doesn't exactly read like she's done anything wrong, but meeting Slade sealed the deal for him
    Not really my point, which is that this signing was lined up before Slade and therefore it's not as clear cut as Slade choosing all the players. He may of course have had the chance to veto.
    Exactly. Given that there is plainly no money available , Novak was a signing that most would sanction, given his goal record last season for Chesterfield.
  • edited July 2016
    Yes, of course injuries will be a factor, but that team needs two decent midfielders. We do need another 5 or 6 or we will struggle when the injuries start to come! if we do sell Lookman, now has to be a condition that he stays on loan for next season!
  • Two new signings ?

Remember those shirts they were the days
    Luvly jubly
    Would be great as a retro top.
  • Having seen Holmes bust a gut in both pre-season friendlies in Austria, I think we have got a good'un. He was the stand out player (for us) in both games. Good ball retention, excellent crossing ability and also put himself about a bit. Got clogged by the Russians and the Israelies, but stood up and got on with it. I also like the look of Novak, gave 100% Speaking to Harry Lennon before the game against Macabi, he said the squad were much happier, under Slade. Said he was 3-4 weeks away. Also spoke to Patrick Bauer and he said he was back in training with the first team on Monday. I met up with Vienna Addick and son at the second game. There were also two Italian guys, who were Charlton fans, wearing the shirts, supporting the team. A couple of Austrian guys also had Charlton tops on who cheered loudly when our goal went in. Great 7 days away, I would recommend these tours to any fans. Had a fantastic few days in Vienna too, thoroughly delightful city.

How many were at the games amigo, and I take it not many from England?
  • edited July 2016

Redhenry said:

Now the teams back from Austria, the head of recruitment should now be signing his contract. This should see more players coming in.

Not sure I see the connection between the two. Why would the signing of players have been compromised by the lack of signature on the head of recruitment's contract?
    Perhaps the 3 signings were nothing to do with the head of recruitment (nicked from Wilder ?) and the HOR is not willing to put forward/make further contact with players, until he has a signed deal.

If that was the case I wouldn't blame him.

I could just imagine the deceitful lying cow, signing the recommended players and then denying he had anything to do with it and sacking him on the day the transfer window closes.

Perhaps I'm turning into Seth :-(
  • Sponsored links:

• Hopefully this has been sorted this week
  • Redhenry said:

Redhenry said:

He provides the club with names of players we should be signing. He's hardly gonna pass this info on if hes not being paid by the club.
    ......and the first game is 16 days away.......

we have learnt our lessons

yeah ok
  • People seriously are not complaining about making contact with Novak before signing! It's probably the most sensible thing Meire has done for us.
  • People seriously are not complaining about making contact with Novak before signing! It's probably the most sensible thing Meire has done for us.

I think it's more to do with the proposed idea that slade identified the players and then the club signed them, when in reality it seems contact was made before slade was even appointed and more likely slade accepted the signing rather than identifying and pursuing the deal himself.

• Having seen Holmes bust a gut in both pre-season friendlies in Austria, I think we have got a good'un. He was the stand out player (for us) in both games. Good ball retention, excellent crossing ability and also put himself about a bit. Got clogged by the Russians and the Israelies, but stood up and got on with it. I also like the look of Novak, gave 100% Speaking to Harry Lennon before the game against Macabi, he said the squad were much happier, under Slade. Said he was 3-4 weeks away. Also spoke to Patrick Bauer and he said he was back in training with the first team on Monday. I met up with Vienna Addick and son at the second game. There were also two Italian guys, who were Charlton fans, wearing the shirts, supporting the team. A couple of Austrian guys also had Charlton tops on who cheered loudly when our goal went in. Great 7 days away, I would recommend these tours to any fans. Had a fantastic few days in Vienna too, thoroughly delightful city.

How many were at the games amigo, and I take it not many from England?
    Against the Russians, one, me. Against Macabi about 7, although only me from the UK. Got team sheets from the games plus one entrance ticket. The second game was free entry.