Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Transfer rumours thread (DEADLINE DAY starts page 300)

Comments

• Nobody seems to have mentioned Graham Tutt, potentially our greatest ever keeper. Career cruelly cut short. Phillips seems a bit short at 6'1".

Casillas one of the best keepers in the world in recent years is 6ft 1
  • Nobody seems to have mentioned Graham Tutt, potentially our greatest ever keeper. Career cruelly cut short. Phillips seems a bit short at 6'1".

I was once told Fulham released an 11 year old goalkeeper because his bone analysis indicated he would only get to 6ft tall and that wasn't tall enough to play top level football.

Shay Given isn't big but was awesome.

Dillon is extremely well thought of but I don't get the impression he wants to stick around with us. I hope I'm wrong because he might just hit the ground running. Certainly didn't look out of place last season and was hugely admired.

• re goalkeepers - Liverpool sign a 39 year old one whilst Southampton want Randolph
  • Swisdom said:

Nobody seems to have mentioned Graham Tutt, potentially our greatest ever keeper. Career cruelly cut short. Phillips seems a bit short at 6'1".

I was once told Fulham released an 11 year old goalkeeper because his bone analysis indicated he would only get to 6ft tall and that wasn't tall enough to play top level football.

Shay Given isn't big but was awesome.

Dillon is extremely well thought of but I don't get the impression he wants to stick around with us. I hope I'm wrong because he might just hit the ground running. Certainly didn't look out of place last season and was hugely admired.

At the end of last season he was 4th or maybe 5th choice, now he's possibly 1st choice. Might change his thinking.
  • Dillon is extremely well thought of but I don't get the impression he wants to stick around with us. I hope I'm wrong because he might just hit the ground running. Certainly didn't look out of place last season and was hugely admired.

He was happy to sign a new 2 year contract just a few weeks ago.
  • Phillips is more than capable. Better than pope and mitov in my opinion. I've seen him play loads of times. Very vocal. Brave and a great shot stopper. Already been on bench season before last. He's very confident and I'd have no worries about putting him in. But then again it's not down to me.
  • markmc68 said:

Phillips is more than capable. Better than pope and mitov in my opinion. I've seen him play loads of times. Very vocal. Brave and a great shot stopper. Already been on bench season before last. He's very confident and I'd have no worries about putting him in. But then again it's not down to me.

Good to hear but he's just coming back from injury and has never played a league game.

Having a good but inexperienced 21 year old as the first choice keeper is a big risk.
  • LordDofB said:

Hopefully we've just had the issue of three Goalkeepers (Henderson / Pope / Phillips) who have all experienced First-Team Football and none of them want to run the risk of being the one stuck on the bench (Especially as the emergency loan market is not longer available)
  • markmc68 said:

Phillips is more than capable. Better than pope and mitov in my opinion. I've seen him play loads of times. Very vocal. Brave and a great shot stopper. Already been on bench season before last. He's very confident and I'd have no worries about putting him in. But then again it's not down to me.

makes you wonder why Burnley didn't sign Phillips then
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2016

LordDofB said:

Hopefully we've just had the issue of three Goalkeepers (Henderson / Pope / Phillips) who have all experienced First-Team Football and none of them want to run the risk of being the one stuck on the bench (Especially as the emergency loan market is not longer available)
    more that Hendo pissed off the establishment so was moved on, Pope offered a PL opportunity and took it so we are stuck with Phillips who has never played in the Football League and would see sitting on the bench in League One as a natural progression although he's likely to be sold anyway to Cheltenahm once we have signed two replacements.

PS - the emergency loan market is still available for keepers
  • edited July 2016
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36833562?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

£2m for an English defender who won player of the year for a club relegated to league 1
  • http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36833562?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

£2m for an English defender who won player of the year for a club relegated from league 1

Actually relegated from the Championship, but I get your point.
  • markmc68 said:

Good to hear but he's just coming back from injury and has never played a league game.

Having a good but inexperienced 21 year old as the first choice keeper is a big risk.
    I don't think that is particularly risky. What is risky is having an even younger and less experienced no. 2. If we signed an older player as competition with Phillips then I don't have a problem with him starting as number 1.
  • edited July 2016

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36833562?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

£2m for an English defender who won player of the year for a club relegated from league 1

Saw him a lot at the Toulon Tournament and was far from impressed. He looked so awkward on the ball I thought he was a left footer playing at right center back, but he's not.

I do think there's this weird thing where a promising player can play "too much" before a big move, allowing some of his weaknesses to be exposed. It seems that sometimes the transfer fee is the highest right after a player "bursts on to the scene." I cannot make any sense of it, but it felt like that was the case with the Ade rumors in January.
  • http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36833562?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

£2m for an English defender who won player of the year for a club relegated to league 1

Blimey. He must be almost as good as Gomez who only went for £500k more!

The point may be that for a rich premiership club £2 million is an easily affordable punt.
    Our friends at Burnley have a lot of money too, but after our dealings they feel even friendlier.
  • seth plum said:

The point may be that for a rich premiership club £2 million is an easily affordable punt.
    Our friends at Burnley have a lot of money too, but after our dealings they feel even friendlier.
    Bad move for him though. Arsenal's track record on signing young English defenders and developing them is poor. Did Upson, Jenkinson or Chambers improve under Wenger? Has one of their own, Kieran Gibbs, developed to reach the potential he had?
  • Scoham said:

Henderson's move to Forest close to being finalised. Cardiff's Simon Moore is a possible replacement and is available for loan.

http://www.southlondonpress.co.uk/article.cfm?id=120190

Bob Bolder, Sasa Ilic, Yohann Thuram-Ulien

People will lynch me for this but was also unsure about adding Sasa Ilic to the list.

He kept a record number of Clean-Sheets joining us (Which should mean he's straight on there) but from the Sunderland performance (i.e. conceding four times) on wards he didnt reach the same heights again, although that might have just been on the basis he wasnt quite good enough for the Premier League

As most of my memories after Wembley are of him running out of his goal at an Everton (or Chelsea) player and doing a star jump to try and stop one of their goals
    He was never the same after getting knocked out at Chelsea (colliding with Richard Rufus's kneecap iirc)
  • willie duff

Was he the guy that supposedly took a bribe against Blackburn in the 50's?
    Source ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Never forget his debut. Me and my mate saw him warming up and said "who is that monster?" Early on, oppo had a through ball to run onto and Sasa came out as a cross between an olympic sprinter and Jonah Lomu. Needless to say, the forward bottled a 60/40 challenge.
  • willie duff

Source ?
    A story my dad told me. He played golf with a board member in the mid 90's but I can't remember who.

It was our first year after relegation and the Jimmy seed era. We needed to draw against Blackburn to go up and Blackburn needed a win. Our goalkeeper took a bribe and we lost. My dad was told that it was well known at the time within the club but this couldn't be proved.
  • willie duff

Source ?
    A story my dad told me. He played golf with a board member in the mid 90's but I can't remember who.

It was our first year after relegation and the Jimmy seed era. We needed to draw against Blackburn to go up and Blackburn needed a win. Our goalkeeper took a bribe and we lost. My dad was told that it was well known at the time within the club but this couldn't be proved.
    Serious allegation to make and one I've never heard before. We were 4 - 1 down and threw everything at them, got back to 3- 4 but could get the equaliser.
  • No Jimmy Seed in the mid 90's.
  • willie duff

Source ?

Never hear that one before. Heard some stories but never mentioned to me.
  • As a regular under 21 watcher, I put it out there to other such attendees that everyone I have spoken to reckons Phillips is better than Mitov. In fact people I speak to at the games don't rate Mitov at all, but for some reason the club rave about him.

Phillips is a real steady eddy, a good communicator to the back four and saves penalties. Mitov to me has mistakes in him and his kicking is very poor (his goal v Coventry being the obvious exception!).

And where do you rate Beeney?
    Really rate him certainly more than mitov
  • Jim Stannard.
  • it was the last game of the season against blackburn Charlton were 4-3 down Eddie fermarni s brother was playing right back and missed a open goal in the last min but i have never heard of any fix