Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Transfer rumours thread (DEADLINE DAY starts page 300)

Comments

• I'm going away for 2 weeks
    Im thinking 6 new players when I get back .......
  • Does anybody remember a goalkeeper called Mike Rose
  • Henderson gone on a free? How does that work?
  • edited July 2016

willie duff

Was he the guy that supposedly took a bribe against Blackburn in the 50's?
    Source ?
    A story my dad told me. He played golf with a board member in the mid 90's but I can't remember who.

It was our first year after relegation and the Jimmy seed era. We needed to draw against Blackburn to go up and Blackburn needed a win. Our goalkeeper took a bribe and we lost. My dad was told that it was well known at the time within the club but this couldn't be proved.
    Never hear that one before. Heard some stories but never mentioned to me.
    I was at that game albeit just out of nappies and I never heard anything from my father or uncles all of whom were die hard Charlton fans about backhanders being taken. It was just typical Charlton, build you up for a return to the big time and then let you down twice as hard.

Indeed. He wasn't one of the best keepers Charlton have had. Remember Ken Jones and his V sign?

Best Charlton quiz question answer ever

Meet him once, nice guy
  • edited July 2016

Does anybody remember a goalkeeper called Mike Rose

Yes early / mid 60's why?

Yes. As I recall he was noted for making some spectacular diving saves when the ball was clearly going wide, yet prone to letting in the odd soft goal. Took over from Peter Wakeham, I think, in the early-mid 60s.
  • willie duff

Source ?
    A story my dad told me. He played golf with a board member in the mid 90's but I can't remember who.

It was our first year after relegation and the Jimmy seed era. We needed to draw against Blackburn to go up and Blackburn needed a win. Our goalkeeper took a bribe and we lost. My dad was told that it was well known at the time within the club but this couldn't be proved.
    I was at the game and I have never had any reason to question the result . A draw would have taken us up as runners up to West Ham but we ran into an inspired Bryan Douglas,the England right winger at the time .
    We couldn't pull it back despite throwing the kitchen sink at them . No lack of effort in my eyes .
    I would be gutted if what you allege is true .
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2016
    Confirmed

http://mobile.cafc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/charlton-athletic-stephen-henderson-nottingham-forest-3200860.aspx

Also Marko confirmed out.

3 keepers to none in about a week. Gotta love Charlton.
  • edited July 2016
    Croft signs one year deal
  • They are not just useless. They are thick dumb brainless shits. Get a keeper in FIRST then let him go. Two untried youth keepers isn't league 1 promotion standard.

Shows my age, but yes I do.
  • willie duff

Source ?

Serious allegation to make and one I've never heard before. We were 4 - 1 down and threw everything at them, got back to 3- 4 but could get the equaliser.
    Don't shoot the messenger. If the story didn't have legs would a board member at the time wouldn't have openly said it. The fact that we threw the kitchen sink at them is irrelevant if the alleged fixing was by the goal keeper. The game was long before I was born so I wasn't there but my dad was told that at least one Blackburn goal was a goalkeeping error.

Unfortunately my dad has dementia and won't remember who told him
  • Hahahahaha.

We get a journeyman midfielder as compensation.
    Welcome Crofts and good luck and all that, i suspect you're as honest as the day is long, but it is only one year after all so it seems neither side is that convinced.

I am surprised it isn't Buxton.

It looks like good old 442, lump it forward and pick up the second balls.
    Break up play when they have it.
    Sorted.
    Lets hope all the other teams who will play the same way are indeed crapper than us.
  • edited July 2016

willie duff

Source ?

I was at the game and I have never had any reason to question the result . A draw would have taken us up as runners up to West Ham but we ran into an inspired Bryan Douglas,the England right winger at the time .
    We couldn't pull it back despite throwing the kitchen sink at them . No lack of effort in my eyes .
    Three D's up front for Blackburn that day mate? Dobing (England) Dougan? Douglas (England) and Ronnie Clayton, England captain at half back.
  • seth plum said:

Hahahahaha.

We get a journeyman midfielder as compensation.
    Welcome Crofts and good luck and all that, i suspect you're as honest as the day is long, but it is only one year after all so it seems neither side is that convinced.

I am surprised it isn't Buxton.

It looks like good old 442, lump it forward and pick up the second balls.
    Break up play when they have it.
    Sorted.
    Lets hope all the other teams who will play the same way are indeed crapper than us.

You've basically summed up League One for as long as anyone can remember
  • Sponsored links:

• tgarrat1 said:

Henderson gone on a free? How does that work?

Thought we would have to pay another club, free ia a good deal.
  • Usually by this stage in pre season most clubs have their first 11 fairly well sorted. They are maybe looking to add a few extra bodies but they know the outline of the team.

Particularly they know their goalkeeper. Managers like to have this sorted early so they can start building a defence around them.

There aren't that may decent keepers floating get around for cheap, a few weeks before the season starts.
  • They are not just useless. They are thick dumb brainless shits. Get a keeper in FIRST then let him go. Two untried youth keepers isn't league 1 promotion standard.

Don't worry they have Joe Someone lined up.
  • Winger and defender next?.
  • Steve Brown has been approached to be No.1
  • RedChaser said:

willie duff

Source ?

Three D's up front for Blackburn that day mate? Dobing (England) Dougan? Douglas (England) and Ronnie Clayton, England captain at half back.
    Dougan was not playing . Incidentally we would have finished runners up if it had been the current 3 points for a win .
  • edited July 2016

RedChaser said:

willie duff

Source ?

Dougan was not playing . Incidentally we would have finished runners up if it had been the current 3 points for a win .
    To think we only needed a draw :disappointed: