Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Transfer rumours thread (DEADLINE DAY starts page 300)

Comments

• willie duff
  • Are we plumbing even greater depths of ineptitude and wiping the floor with that Blackpool mob and the dodgy Italian geezer at DIRTY Leeds?

I believe we are...
  • I know we cant claim credit for them all but I'd love to know what it is about Charlton that creates such good Goalkeepers:

Lots of practice.
  • Bob Bolder (a great Lenny signing at £20,000)
  • Nicky Weaver must be one of the few 'keepers that we've signed that just hasn't worked (i.e. Who has made a First-Team appearance), maybe you could add Neil Etheridge and Ross Worner to those lists?

Even when we signed Myhre as 3rd choice it was a master stroke as he was brilliant
  • I thibk the Cheltenham manager said Phillips was the best keeper he'd ever worked with. Is that the chap who did well at Bristol and Yeovil? Gary Johnson?

Perhaps at 21 Phillips is ready. Archer has been good for millwall so it could work.
  • edited July 2016
    Yeah Gary Johnson is the ex-Yeovil and Bristol City Manager.

I think what shocks me most about Phillips is his height, he looks tiny in goal which scares me but he's only an inch smaller than Pope!!... Yet your right @SuperClive, Jordan Archer didnt do badly for Millwall last season so why not just try him
  • edited July 2016

Nicky Weaver must be one of the few 'keepers that we've signed that just hasn't worked (i.e. Who has made a First-Team appearance), maybe you could add Neil Etheridge and Ross Worner to those lists?

Even when we signed Myhre as 3rd choice it was a master stroke as he was brilliant

can't agree with this, Weaver did well for us.
    He did okay but didnt do brilliantly (Only lasted a season and a half before being replaced by Rob Elliot from the Academy).

Unless its my memory I dont ever remember standing to my feet applauding him for a great save like all the others I mentioned managed
  • edited July 2016

Nicky Weaver must be one of the few 'keepers that we've signed that just hasn't worked (i.e. Who has made a First-Team appearance), maybe you could add Neil Etheridge and Ross Worner to those lists?

can't agree with this, Weaver did well for us.
    I Agree but he was on the Boo Boys hit list as soon as he walked in the door.
  • Sponsored links:

• Player of the year winners since 1971 (when it started)

Goalkeepers in bold

Year Winner
    1971 Paul Went
    1972 Keith Peacock
    1973 Arthur Horsfield
    1974 John Dunn
    1975 Richie Bowman
    1976 Derek Hales
    1977 Mike Flanagan
    1978 Keith Peacock
    1979 Keith Peacock
    1980 Les Berry

Year Winner
    1981 Nicky Johns
    1982 Terry Naylor
    1983 Nicky Johns
    1984 Nicky Johns

1985 Mark Aizlewood
    1986 Mark Aizlewood
    1987 Bob Bolder
    1988 John Humphrey
    1989 John Humphrey
    1990 John Humphrey

Year Winner
    1991 Robert Lee
    1992 Simon Webster
    1993 Stuart Balmer
    1994 Carl Leaburn
    1995 Richard Rufus
    1996 John Robinson
    1997 Andy Petterson
    1998 Mark Kinsella
    1999 Mark Kinsella
    2000 Richard Rufus

Year Winner
    2001 Richard Rufus
    2002 Dean Kiely
    2003 Scott Parker
    2004 Dean Kiely
    2005 Luke Young
    2006 Darren Bent
    2007 Scott Carson
    2008 Matt Holland
    2009 Nicky Bailey
    2010 Christian Dailly

Year Winner
    2011 José Semedo
    2012 Chris Solly
    2013 Chris Solly
    2014 Diego Poyet
    2015 Jordan Cousins
    2016 Jordan Cousins
  • edited July 2016
    I voted for him and he was our best player that season without and question or doubt but I still find it ludicrous that in a season when we broke record after record and reached 101 points our best player was a Right-Back
  • I think Bob bolder got a chance of being number 1 this season the way things are going
  • Well these rumours are shit

standard yet we persist :(
  • I think Bob bolder got a chance of being number 1 this season the way things are going

I always loved Bob, I'm sure like most of us in middle age he may be carrying a bit more weight and width these days if we can persuade the league to use 5 a side goals he could be very difficult to get past
  • Just logged on to 121 new posts.

My record for post numbers and no imminent signings
  • Sponsored links:

• I know we cant claim credit for them all but I'd love to know what it is about Charlton that creates such good Goalkeepers:

Bartram / Kiely / Carson / Anderson / Elliot / Randolph / Hamer / Button / Pope have all had really successful years after joining us and am sure I've missed a load of that list (Especially between Bartram / Kiely as my knowledge of Charlton in that era)

Then you've got Phillips / Mitov / Beeney who are all highly rated and could be our First-Team 'keeper

They get a lot of practice.
  • Perhaps we are waiting to see if Henderson passes his medical and signs for Forest before we sign a goalkeeper
  • willie duff

Was he the guy that supposedly took a bribe against Blackburn in the 50's?
  • As a regular under 21 watcher, I put it out there to other such attendees that everyone I have spoken to reckons Phillips is better than Mitov. In fact people I speak to at the games don't rate Mitov at all, but for some reason the club rave about him.

Phillips is a real steady eddy, a good communicator to the back four and saves penalties. Mitov to me has mistakes in him and his kicking is very poor (his goal v Coventry being the obvious exception!).

Wasn't it the same with Pygott, we were told he was going to be brilliant and the coaching staff rated him
  • As a regular under 21 watcher, I put it out there to other such attendees that everyone I have spoken to reckons Phillips is better than Mitov. In fact people I speak to at the games don't rate Mitov at all, but for some reason the club rave about him.

Phillips is a real steady eddy, a good communicator to the back four and saves penalties. Mitov to me has mistakes in him and his kicking is very poor (his goal v Coventry being the obvious exception!).

As usual good observations. Phillips is a good steady Eddie type of keeper who will get better with experience. However we need credible cover or better still a good properly signed goalkeeper so there is competition for the first team squad.
    We will be desperate if Phillips gets injured.
  • Player of the year winners since 1971 (when it started)

Goalkeepers in bold

Year Winner
    1971 Paul Went
    1972 Keith Peacock
    1973 Arthur Horsfield
    1974 John Dunn
    1975 Richie Bowman
    1976 Derek Hales
    1977 Mike Flanagan
    1978 Keith Peacock
    1979 Keith Peacock
    1980 Les Berry

Year Winner
    1981 Nicky Johns
    1982 Terry Naylor
    1983 Nicky Johns
    1984 Nicky Johns

1985 Mark Aizlewood
    1986 Mark Aizlewood
    1987 Bob Bolder
    1988 John Humphrey
    1989 John Humphrey
    1990 John Humphrey

Year Winner
    1991 Robert Lee
    1992 Simon Webster
    1993 Stuart Balmer
    1994 Carl Leaburn
    1995 Richard Rufus
    1996 John Robinson
    1997 Andy Petterson
    1998 Mark Kinsella
    1999 Mark Kinsella
    2000 Richard Rufus

Year Winner
    2001 Richard Rufus
    2002 Dean Kiely
    2003 Scott Parker
    2004 Dean Kiely
    2005 Luke Young
    2006 Darren Bent
    2007 Scott Carson
    2008 Matt Holland
    2009 Nicky Bailey
    2010 Christian Dailly

Year Winner
    2011 José Semedo
    2012 Chris Solly
    2013 Chris Solly
    2014 Diego Poyet
    2015 Jordan Cousins
    2016 Jordan Cousins

Rob Elliot somewhat unlucky not to get the 2011 award

And where do you rate Beeney?
  • Nobody seems to have mentioned Graham Tutt, potentially our greatest ever keeper. Career cruelly cut short. Phillips seems a bit short at 6'1".
  • Shay Given is about the same height as Phillips and he had quite a good career.
  • vffvff
    edited July 2016

Well these rumours are shit

Theirs a rumour ? I thought this was an interesting discussion on Charlton goal keepers past and present.

Thread should be retitled transfers rumours and other topics (discussed whilst Charlton supporters pass the time, waiting for rumour / incoming transfer activity