Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Transfer rumours thread (DEADLINE DAY starts page 300)

Comments

• anybody no how many goals we scored that year
  • RedChaser said:

RedChaser said:

willie duff

Was he the guy that supposedly took a bribe against Blackburn in the 50's?
    Source ?
    A story my dad told me. He played golf with a board member in the mid 90's but I can't remember who.

It was our first year after relegation and the Jimmy seed era. We needed to draw against Blackburn to go up and Blackburn needed a win. Our goalkeeper took a bribe and we lost. My dad was told that it was well known at the time within the club but this couldn't be proved.
    I was at the game and I have never had any reason to question the result . A draw would have taken us up as runners up to West Ham but we ran into an inspired Bryan Douglas,the England right winger at the time .
    We couldn't pull it back despite throwing the kitchen sink at them . No lack of effort in my eyes .
    I would be gutted if what you allege is true .
    Three D's up front for Blackburn that day mate? Dobing (England) Dougan? Douglas (England) and Ronnie Clayton, England captain at half back.
    Dougan was not playing . Incidentally we would have finished runners up if it had been the current 3 points for a win .
    To think we only need a draw :disappointed:
    he means even with the same result ie the defeat we'd still have gone up if it had been three points for a win.

107 goals
  • RedChaser said:

RedChaser said:

willie duff

Was he the guy that supposedly took a bribe against Blackburn in the 50's?
    Source ?
    A story my dad told me. He played golf with a board member in the mid 90's but I can't remember who.

It was our first year after relegation and the Jimmy seed era. We needed to draw against Blackburn to go up and Blackburn needed a win. Our goalkeeper took a bribe and we lost. My dad was told that it was well known at the time within the club but this couldn't be proved.
    I was at the game and I have never had any reason to question the result . A draw would have taken us up as runners up to West Ham but we ran into an inspired Bryan Douglas,the England right winger at the time .
    We couldn't pull it back despite throwing the kitchen sink at them . No lack of effort in my eyes .
    I would be gutted if what you allege is true .
    Three D's up front for Blackburn that day mate? Dobing (England) Dougan? Douglas (England) and Ronnie Clayton, England captain at half back.
    Dougan was not playing . Incidentally we would have finished runners up if it had been the current 3 points for a win .
    To think we only need a draw :disappointed:
    he means even with the same result ie the defeat we'd still have gone up if it had been three points for a win.
    Yeh I get that but that was hypothetical, if we had drawn on the day we would have been promoted :wink:

I looked earlier, it was 100+. 107 from memory. I reckon 45 more than we get this year
  • 107 goals in a season Great days
  • Who in goal tomorrow? .
  • Does anybody remember a goalkeeper called Mike Rose

I won't do a spoiler to the quiz question, but I can tell you that I was at the Dell for Mike Rose's debut for the Addicks, on 24th August 1963. Southampton beat us 6-1. We shipped a lot of goals that season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Who in goal tomorrow? .

No, Who's on first

Watt's on second

(one for the kids there)
  • can you remember what year that was
  • Blockhead member available.
  • can you remember what year that was

The Charlton 3 Blackburn 4 game was on 26th April 1958. I am indebted to the late great Colin Cameron's 'Home and Away' compendium that he produced in 1992 when we returned to The Valley.
  • Peter_G said:

can you remember what year that was

The Charlton 3 Blackburn 4 game was on 26th April 1958. I am indebted to the late great Colin Cameron's 'Home and Away' compendium that he produced in 1992 when we returned to The Valley.
    My first game, ah memories :smile:
  • edited July 2016

Blockhead member available.

??? @Valley27000

Chas Jankel? Ian Dury?

Chas.

• Blockhead member available.

??? @Valley27000

Chas Chankel? Ian Dury?
    'In the deserts of Sudan'
  • Chas.

Going to have to be less cryptic and use more words @Valley27000

Best Charlton quiz question answer ever

Meet him once, nice guy
    Quite easy to guess the answer though.
  • Sponsored links:

Meet him once, nice guy
    Probably just as easy to work out what the question is.

Meet him once, nice guy
    Already told you "Mike Rose" is the answer ; - )

Meet him once, nice guy
    Already told you "Mike Rose" is the answer ; - )
    The answer would be yes.
  • On a free? I missed that one. That is insane.

The season before last, he was amazing for us, good keeper on stops, quick and accurate delivery out, he got injured and we lost a few games because pope just wasn't then good enough.

Season just gone he shipped a load of goals, mostly not his fault, fell out big time with the regime and stood in for Karel at that massive loss to apologise to the fans. Top performance but not appreciated.

Since then seems to have decided he must leave because he can't work for a club where KM is CEO. Pope stepped up during Hendos fake injury phase and commands a fee.

Hendo is at least as good a keeper, getting no fee is a sign of the desperation they have to ship out the non-conformists. Absolutely terrible work again from the negotiators and they should be very ashamed of their performance again here if this on a free position is true.
  • If Roland got 8milion we would not see it
    Can't se things getting better until he has gone.
  • I can remember John Dunn and Tony Burns as our keepers. Tony Dunn ex Man U could throw the ball further than he could kick it.
  • kevtherev said:

I can remember John Dunn and Tony Burns as our keepers. Tony Dunn ex Man U could throw the ball further than he could kick it.

Ah yes. Tony "long throw" Dunn

Nope. Don't remember him ;0)

• It was Tony Burns who had the throw that was longer and more accurate than anything Dean Kiely could do with his kicking. In fairness though, Dean Kiely was a lot better with all the important stuff that 'keepers are expected to do. Burns was not that good. Ex Arsenal and Brighton when we signed him in 1968.
  • edited July 2016
    To be fair,

Who's to say Phillips hasn't impressed Slade in training and also heard good thing about his loan spell? Maybe he saw potential in him so used the other two go get money in?

Not saying I'm overly happy with the idea of it, but I rate Phillips highly id have him as no1 if we can get a experienced happy to sit on the bench no2.

Ideally though I would have liked Dmitorivic (can't be asked to spell it) no1 and Phillips 2 if we was to loose Henderson and Pope.
  • Croft signs one year deal

Perhaps he can play in goal....................