Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Transfer rumours thread (DEADLINE DAY starts page 300)

Comments

• Who knows maybe we will sign Gillespie as well, and send Phillips out on loan
  • Think that's likely
  • Yep. Id say us sanctioning Philips move to Cheltenham depends on a back up keeper coming in. Also think us signing Pearce is dependant on us agreeing an exit for Tex.

• Signing someone like Gillespie does actually make sense, seems like a Powell-esque kind of move, can get them in fairly cheap, within a few seasons he could establish himself.

What I wouldn't like however is for 2 keepers to have been included in the '5 or 6 needed' speech
  • sam3110 said:

Who knows maybe we will sign Gillespie as well, and send Phillips out on loan

That might be enough for me to get a season ticket
  • 'Insider' on CAFC Picks again. Says one more in and a hint of another. Also says Roland - or "Ronald McShitface" was unhappy about spending money on a 'keeper.
    "He has no interest in the long term and promotion is not his number one aim". http://www.cafcpicks.com/

Make of that what you will. Maybe Rio was telling the truth?
  • http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/football-league/one-to-watch-carlisle-united-goalkeeper-mark-gillespie-a7168041.html

"Gillespie has been working very hard on his kicking and how he is one of the best keepers with his feet in the lower leagues. He achieved an 81 per cent distribution success rate last season, better even than Jon McLaughlin, who won Leauge One goalkeeper of the year after impressing in Burton Albion’s promotion campaign.

That is why Gillespie is thought to be ready for a step up into the higher divisions, and why Charlton Athletic are considering a £150,000 move for the 24-year-old. He started off at Newcastle United as a boy, he is from Throckley just outside the city, but was released at 16 for not being big enough.

His early years at Carlisle were disrupted by knee injuries, but having overcome those and established himself as a regular he is now one of the more impressive young English goalkeepers in the lower leagues."

Good, I think this is often desperately overlooked in keepers. One of the things that was overlooked in terms of his improvement last year was Nicky Pope's distribution. From what I saw it was excellent. Whenever he claimed the ball he had his head up straight away looking to distribute it and start a counter attack. That can be an excellent weapon.
  • wmcf123 said:

sam3110 said:

Who knows maybe we will sign Gillespie as well, and send Phillips out on loan

That might be enough for me to get a season ticket
    Very harsh on Phillips.
  • Major said:

'Insider' on CAFC Picks again. Says one more in and a hint of another. Also says Roland - or "Ronald McShitface" was unhappy about spending money on a 'keeper.
    "He has no interest in the long term and promotion is not his number one aim". http://www.cafcpicks.com/

How can they possibly know that?
  • The million pound sale of Pope may encourage RD to bring in Gillespie.

His ideal scenario: Rudd to be recalled in January, Gillespie comes in, plays ‘quite’ well - gets sold on. RD in heaven, buys himself a new pair of celebration shoes and several rolls of duct tape.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2016
    Valley11 said:

Major said:

'Insider' on CAFC Picks again. Says one more in and a hint of another. Also says Roland - or "Ronald McShitface" was unhappy about spending money on a 'keeper.

How can they possibly know that?
    Maybe it was Roly that posted it.
  • So are we all expecting Jason Pearce in today?
  • SDAddick said:

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/football-league/one-to-watch-carlisle-united-goalkeeper-mark-gillespie-a7168041.html

"Gillespie has been working very hard on his kicking and how he is one of the best keepers with his feet in the lower leagues. He achieved an 81 per cent distribution success rate last season, better even than Jon McLaughlin, who won Leauge One goalkeeper of the year after impressing in Burton Albion’s promotion campaign.

That is why Gillespie is thought to be ready for a step up into the higher divisions, and why Charlton Athletic are considering a £150,000 move for the 24-year-old. He started off at Newcastle United as a boy, he is from Throckley just outside the city, but was released at 16 for not being big enough.

His early years at Carlisle were disrupted by knee injuries, but having overcome those and established himself as a regular he is now one of the more impressive young English goalkeepers in the lower leagues."

Good, I think this is often desperately overlooked in keepers. One of the things that was overlooked in terms of his improvement last year was Nicky Pope's distribution. From what I saw it was excellent. Whenever he claimed the ball he had his head up straight away looking to distribute it and start a counter attack. That can be an excellent weapon.
    Last line of defence and first line of attack
  • Scoham said:

Glosfan said:

While I suppose any signing is encouraging, am I alone in thinking Phillips could of stepped up to first choice this year, thus enabling more money to be spent strengthening the team in midfield? I saw him play a lot for Cheltenham last year and he always looked class, albeit at a lower standard. I haven't seen any of the friendlies, has he done anything to suggest that he couldn't of been our first choice keeper?

It's a risk, if he makes a mistake and struggles for confidence the only alternative would be Mitov.
    Look how Pope was gt at , confidence shot to piece.
  • Scoham said:

Glosfan said:

While I suppose any signing is encouraging, am I alone in thinking Phillips could of stepped up to first choice this year, thus enabling more money to be spent strengthening the team in midfield? I saw him play a lot for Cheltenham last year and he always looked class, albeit at a lower standard. I haven't seen any of the friendlies, has he done anything to suggest that he couldn't of been our first choice keeper?

It's a risk, if he makes a mistake and struggles for confidence the only alternative would be Mitov.
    Look how Pope was gt at , confidence shot to piece.
    Sorry pieces
  • Please let there be signings today
  • What I think we need: 4
    What I think we'll get: 1
    What I think will improve the squad: 0

Depressing times.
  • Sponsored links:

• Glosfan said:

We are owned by a Billionaire. We can still spend money strengthening the team in midfield if he chooses.
  • Glosfan said:

We are owned by a Billionaire. We can still spend money strengthening the team in midfield if he chooses.
    But we are run by an arsehole who has targets and only cares about herself.
  • Glosfan said:

Why risk someone 'stepping up' when we can sign someone that is 100% too good for this league ?.
  • We need at least 3 in that midfield. Jackson, Crofts, Ba, Kashi, Foley will not create goals.
  • We need at least 3 in that midfield. Jackson, Crofts, Ba, Kashi, Foley will not create goals.

Jackson might, but he would get over-run. Kashi again when fit could be useful. but i do agree we need at least 2 in the midfield who can create, today's the day....

Jackson might, but he would get over-run. Kashi again when fit could be useful. but i do agree we need at least 2 in the midfield who can create, today's the day....
    Claus Jensen and Paul Mortimer
  • I can see that Perhaps Slade wants a midfield that breaks up the opposition play first and foremost giving us a lot of possession. It might well mean that from midfield the ball is either very quickly got wide or knocked into Novak.

I would like a creative attacking midfielder brought in but it's not an easy find or always essential in league one. In Lookman, assuming he stays and with Novak and Ajose I think we can create enough chances if the midfield get decent possession.
  • I understand what people are saying about Phillips being a risk and that we are being run by a billionaire so we can afford an experienced keeper. My point is however that if Douchbag or Meire have decided there is only a small finite amount of resources to be spent, then playing Phillips would be a lesser risk than playing without a decent midfield.