Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Transfer rumours thread (DEADLINE DAY starts page 300)

Comments

• How Barca won so much with Messi, Iniesta, Xavi, Suarez etc without a Makienok type player is beyond me..

Can't really compare one of the greatest ever club sides with League One football. If you look back at the better footballing teams that have been promoted from League One such as Swansea and Doncaster I expect they all had a striker that could compete physically.

Look at the impact Yann made when he took Hayes place. Without him we may have only been in the play-offs.

There's no short term loan window anymore, the more options we have up front the better. Currently if Novak is out we'll rely on Umerah or Hanlan as our forward with any physical presence. I'm not sure their strengths, at least at first team level, are hold up play, winning balls in the air etc.
  • How Barca won so much with Messi, Iniesta, Xavi, Suarez etc without a Makienok type player is beyond me..

So that's where we've gone wrong, all we need to do is fill the team with some of the best attacking players who have ever lived and we'll be okay.

Br7_addick for DoF with wmcf123 as his assistant
    Thanks for the appointment . I think I'll do well
  • wmcf123 said:

How Barca won so much with Messi, Iniesta, Xavi, Suarez etc without a Makienok type player is beyond me..

So that's where we've gone wrong, all we need to do is fill the team with some of the best attacking players who have ever lived and we'll be okay.

Br7_addick for DoF with wmcf123 as his assistant
    Thanks for the appointment . I think I'll do well
    Not with RD as your boss! You only have five months...
  • markmc68 said:

Tammy Abrahams. Local lad. Coming in apparently.

When she is kicked out of the Celebrity Big Brother house
  • vffvff
    edited August 2016
    cafcfan said:

Well, I might be proved wrong. But I find the concept of a professionally run club like Chelsea lending any of their players to a basket case like us totally laughable.
    Why would they risk destroying a young player's career?

To make them feel grateful at being at Chelsea (even though they are stuck in the under 21's, may only ever get a rare start, and just when they are about to break through, Chelsea shell out £60 million on a superstar) or as some kind of punishment / life experience-career development ?

Maybe because the squad is so thin, that they will definitely get a game and have a chance of getting competitive first team games under their belt & making the position their own ? Also look that the Arsenal midfielder who reignited his career with Arsenal.

Lots of reasons but probably most likely to make them feel grateful for being at Chelsea.
  • Ross said:

Lookman is more of a winger/inside forward than an out and out striker.

Inside forwards is that the same as an outside left ?
  • Russell Slade press conference this morning!

Resignation? Signings confirmed?

No, just usual Thursday before a game press conference.
  • No, rather more an attacking left half.
  • slade confirms player is in the building for a medical today . Surely Pearce?

He also says he wants 4 more so 3 after Pearce. Gotta have a striker in that and a creative midfielder
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2016
    Oh you little tease Russell!!!

Just remember just because someone is here for the Medical doesnt mean it'll be done today... Occasionally the Medical will be completed before terms are completely ironed out arent they?
  • cafc4life said:

slade confirms player is in the building for a medical today . Surely Pearce?

He also says he wants 4 more so 3 after Pearce. Gotta have a striker in that and a creative midfielder

I would hope its a striker, an energetic midfielder and the third player will probably end up being a replacement for someone, so we sell Harriott/Lookman it'll be a left winger, or if we send Phillips on loan then it'll be a goalkeeper etc. Unless he wants 4 more and then if anyone leaves they'll also be replaced, but I'm doubtful
  • wmcf123 said:

How Barca won so much with Messi, Iniesta, Xavi, Suarez etc without a Makienok type player is beyond me..

This is my point . Our really effective target men in my time going have been Andy Hunt and Yann, while Leaburn and Bartlett had their moments . The Makienok/Abbott/ Sodje/ Iwelumo types have coincided with very average teams and invariably awful football
    I would put Super Clive in there as the best target man I saw in that era
  • Welcome back again Diego Poyet

JUST KIDDING!
  • Norwich just signed a goalkeeper,odd after letting Rudd come to us?!
  • WSS said:

I really do think Jason Pearce will be a Charlton Athletic player - by end of play (said in Jeremy Clarkson style voice).

And if he is - signing the rock of the champions defence from last season? Alongside two of the top scorers from last season? You can't knock it.

It's never been about the few "marquee" signings like this though. It's happened before.

We have not learnt that you need a squad of players to fill in for inevitable injuries. And by fill in they should only be 10-15% less in quality than those they are replacing. We are currently replacing them with inexperienced kids. It's not acceptable for a team with any kind of ambition.
    10-15% less quality , LOL sorry Glen but that did make me laugh that bit
  • Sponsored links:

• Norwich just signed a goalkeeper,odd after letting Rudd come to us?!

Not really . They would ideally want three experienced keepers .

This is good news for us as it lessens the chances of Rudd being recalled . Maybe this was what delayed the move the Canaries wanting to sign a third keeper in Paul Jones.
  • Richard J said:

Norwich just signed a goalkeeper,odd after letting Rudd come to us?!

This is good news for us as it lessens the chances of Rudd being recalled . Maybe this was what delayed the move the Canaries wanting to sign a third keeper in Paul Jones.
    Richard J said:

• Richard J said:

Thats what i mean in odd,let a very good keeper go out on a season loan only to sign one a couple of days later as cover. Makes you think that Rudd really did want to come here lol!
  • It also gives Rudd 1st team experience for the whole season, much better for him than warming a bench. So it's a good deal all round
  • I would suggest it is the Foley deal being done. Just doing the medical and signing on the dotted line so he can play or be in the squad for Saturday.

Ah so what you're saying is we need an elite level doping programme?
  • I would suggest it is the Foley deal being done. Just doing the medical and signing on the dotted line so he can play or be in the squad for Saturday.

Will be naffed off if that is it.

He has been with us playing football for a month. Why wait till today to do a medical?

Surely its Pearce. It must be.

Would you really need to do a medical for a player who has been training with the squad for a month???
  • Richard J said:

Thats what i mean in odd,let a very good keeper go out on a season loan only to sign one a couple of days later as cover. Makes you think that Rudd really did want to come here lol!
    Unlike us, normal football clubs don't rely on 18 year olds that aren't ready as cover. It would be odd if they let their 2nd choice go on loan and had an inexperienced teenager as back up to Ruddy.

Would you really need to do a medical for a player who has been training with the squad for a month???
    For insurance purposes yes.