Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Transfer rumours thread (DEADLINE DAY starts page 300)

Comments

• Just seem that Crewe have signed Danny Hollands on a Free Transfer till January after he left Portsmouth... Now before anyone says anything I'm not saying we should resign him BUT

Its crazy the career he's had since Charlton... He's still only 30-years old now and was 24/25 when he won the League One title with us... Now he was one of the standout players for us in that season (Wasn't just a squad player) and although he didnt have the best of seasons for us in the Championship (He didnt make the step up) its amazing that he's languishing in League Two and has been now for the last two years without seriously looking for a return to League One.

Say it all the time yet ultimately shows how good Chris Powell was at putting that title winning season squad together especially when you look at that squad now and where the players are...

Two players (Hamer / Wiggins) are surplus to requirements at Premier League sides
    Three players (Stephens / Morrison / Kermorgant) at Championship level
    Two players (Wright-Phillips / Bover) are playing in the MLS so again Championship level
    Four players (Jackson / Solly / Clarke / Wagstaff) are back in League One
    Five players (Evina / Green / Hayes / Hollands / Smith) are now in League Two
    Three players (Taylor / Haynes / Mambo) are now in the Non-League Pyramid

Whilst six players (Doherty / Hughes / Sullivan / Euell / Pritchard / Cort) are now retired from the game

When you look at the current squad the only big question is... Who are those five players who are good enough to be the quality in the side who can play at Championship level or higher (Holmes / Solly / Rudd / Pearce are probably the only definites), ultimately having Foley and Crofts in the side is no bad thing because they can almost occupy the Hughes / Euell roles within the squad
  • Can just imagine the conversation between Tom Adeyemi his agent and Michael Morrison

Agent: Great news Tom, I've found you a club who want to sign you on loan... Charlton Athletic?
    Tom: Oh yeah I've heard of them I'll go see what Michael says about them as he used to play for them
    Michael: Find yourself a better Agent, Tom!!

You've lost me. What's Michael Morrison got to do with it ?
    Doh ignore me... Adeyemi used to play for Birmingham but went from Cardiff to Rotherham!!
  • edited August 2016
    Speaking of Morrison, Birmingham have extended his contract to 2019
  • I used to live next door to Jim Garner.

...until he moved to Scotland to get away from me.

No. He moved to Upper Wicham Lane.

Was it to get away from you?
    You either forgot the winky thing or you really are the twat I suspected you were.

Chill out, it was a joke that I thought you were playing along with about a footballer's unlikely move to Scotland.

I'd like to say that you turned out to be the total wanker that I always suspected you were, but then I'd be pretending I even knew who you were or gave a single shit.

X
  • Almost 2 weeks to go and rumours have dried up. Roly out !!!!
  • Frankly, it won't be long until oppo teams start doubling up on Ricky Holmes

Northampton, who obviously know him well, trebled-up on him at times!
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2016
    cafc-west said:

Frankly, it won't be long until oppo teams start doubling up on Ricky Holmes

Northampton, who obviously know him well, trebled-up on him at times!
    Not relevant to transfer rumours but visiting teams to the Valley will more often than not get numbers behind the ball. Teams at home like Walsall today will feel obliged to take the game to us, so more freedom on the counter for Holmes I hope.
  • Any updates @Redhenry ?

The team are doing well at the moment, but the squad's still too small for us to have a successful season, unless we get very lucky with injuries.

It feels a bit like we're heading towards an early-September statement telling us that there were signings that we were working hard on, that we just couldn't complete before the deadline.
  • vffvff
    edited August 2016

Frankly, it won't be long until oppo teams start doubling up on Ricky Holmes, so we better get a back-up in or an alternative option on the left wing pretty soon or our apparent "revival" will be pretty short lived imo.

Sorry, not a rumour more a drunken missive

Thats why midfield creativity & pace is essential. Then there would be multiple positions for service for the strikers & difficult for opposition teams to concentrate on snuffing out the main creative threat.
  • The ceasing of emergency loans means that virtually all clubs will be desperately trying to strengthen before the deadline, which will no doubt push prices up.

Our promising start to the season may help waverers to join us
  • The ceasing of emergency loans means that virtually all clubs will be desperately trying to strengthen before the deadline, which will no doubt push prices up.

Our promising start to the season may help waverers to join us

I'm sure we'll be able to find some injury prone journeymen on a free transfer as usual.

• In September, I'm sure Katrien will be hoping to sign those cheap out of contract players nobody else wants.

• ng for us.

Just seem that Crewe have signed Danny Hollands on a Free Transfer till January after he left Portsmouth... Now before anyone says anything I'm not saying we should resign him BUT

Its crazy the career he's had since Charlton... He's still only 30-years old now and was 24/25 when he won the League One title with us... Now he was one of the standout players for us in that season (Wasn't just a squad player) and although he didnt have the best of seasons for us in the Championship (He didnt make the step up) its amazing that he's languishing in League Two and has been now for the last two years without seriously looking for a return to League One.

Say it all the time yet ultimately shows how good Chris Powell was at putting that title winning season squad together especially when you look at that squad now and where the players are...

Two players (Hamer / Wiggins) are surplus to requirements at Premier League sides
    Three players (Stephens / Morrison / Kermorgant) at Championship level
    Two players (Wright-Phillips / Bover) are playing in the MLS so again Championship level
    Four players (Jackson / Solly / Clarke / Wagstaff) are back in League One
    Five players (Evina / Green / Hayes / Hollands / Smith) are now in League Two
    Three players (Taylor / Haynes / Mambo) are now in the Non-League Pyramid

Whilst six players (Doherty / Hughes / Sullivan / Euell / Pritchard / Cort) are now retired from the game

When you look at the current squad the only big question is... Who are those five players who are good enough to be the quality in the side who can play at Championship level or higher (Holmes / Solly / Rudd / Pearce are probably the only definites), ultimately having Foley and Crofts in the side is no bad thing because they can almost occupy the Hughes / Euell roles within the squad

Didn't Hollands break his toe or do something to his foot during our promotion season? Seem to recall it affected him quite badly and he never reached the heights of his early season form again. Probably explains why he has drifted down the leagues because I agree with you, he was a decent player for us until his injury.
  • languishing on page two.

Are we getting dangerously close to the slamming shut of the window without any real rumour of names ?
  • Sponsored links:

• I think we'll see quite a bit of movement in the next week. No loan windows will mean Prem clubs will loan out players who won't make their 25 man squads
  • I just heard on the radio that Wolves have signed Borwith-Jackson on a months loan. I thought loans had to be to the next transfer window under the new regulations?
  • I just heard on the radio that Wolves have signed Borwith-Jackson on a months loan. I thought loans had to be to the next transfer window under the new regulations?

From Sky Sports so radio must have got it wrong

WOLVES LOAN DUO

Championship side Wolves have signed Cameron Borthwick-Jackson on a season-long loan from Manchester United, as well as Ola John from Benfica.

Defender Borthwick-Jackson, 19, played 14 times for United last season under Louis van Gaal, while 24-year-old winger John has been capped once by the Netherlands, and was on loan at Reading last season.
  • Never trust talkSport!
  • Nice to see Mourinho giving youth a chance again. Thought Borthwick-Jackson did well for Utd. when called upon but he'll be lucky to see the first team now. Guess Utd. wont complain if he gets them back in the top two.
  • edited August 2016
    Paddy7 said:

Nice to see Mourinho giving youth a chance again. Thought Borthwick-Jackson did well for Utd. when called upon but he'll be lucky to see the first team now. Guess Utd. wont complain if he gets them back in the top two.

To be fair that was because Luke Shaw was out with a broken leg last season and Rojo was shocking.

Now Shaw is first choice and Rojo wont be the one who'll want to go on loan somewhere so BJ has to go on loan for his development
  • Just seen pictures of Bradley Dack entering The Valley

Where?
  • edited August 2016

Just seen pictures of Bradley Dack entering The Valley

Welcome to CL