Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Transfer rumours thread (DEADLINE DAY starts page 300)

Comments

• Maybe TDH wants to go.
  • edited August 2016

Have the Belgians ever rejected an offer, ffs.

We don't know do we? And we don't know how much Huddersfield are offering. We don't know if THD is keen to go and his agent has been drumming up a move but the bid is totally unsolicited on the club's part. We don't know if KM or Slade have been talking to THD to try and convince him to stay. Likewise we don't know if the club has been actively seeking a purchaser. We don't know if there's been a fall out and Slade wants rid. We don't know what the club has up its sleeve in terms of a replacement.

One thing we do know, permission to talk is not the same as a done deal.
  • PopIcon said:

Maybe TDH wants to go.

Could that be because he feels he should be the 1st team's LB ?
  • If he has made it clear to Slade he isn't up for it, I can imagine Slade not opposing him leaving.

THD in time seems a better prospect than Fox, if he was to put as much effort in and to temper attack with defence he would be better, but if you need a guy whose going to give his all for Charlton, and his challenger is hypothetically not going to, if you could get a few quid for him you would.

I'd rather keep both, but if the two I'd at this exact moment in time rather see THD leave.
  • Also the Gillingham bloke Dack came on as a sub tonight
  • PopIcon said:

Maybe TDH wants to go.

So what if he does? He's under contract so it's up to us whether he goes or not.
  • He's under contract so it's up to us if he goes or not.

Now if we had a strong management and decent reputation I would agree with this. Managers have been known to break want to leave players and get them back in the team and working well in it.

But with our current set up?

If you make it clear you won't give your all and you will wait until contract ends and do one, then I don't think management or Managements backing of Russell is good enough for that to happen.
  • Have the Belgians ever rejected an offer, ffs.

We don't know do we? And we don't know how much Huddersfield are offering. We don't know if THD is keen to go and his agent has been drumming up a move but the bid is totally unsolicited on the club's part. We don't know if KM or Slade have been talking to THD to try and convince him to stay. Likewise we don't know if the club has been actively seeking a purchaser. We don't know if there's been a fall out and Slade wants rid. We don't know what the club has up its sleeve in terms of a replacement.

True. although we do have a fair idea of the transfer deals we have done over the last 2.5 years and just what a success they have been for the club.
  • PopIcon said:

Maybe TDH wants to go.

So what if he does? He's under contract so it's up to us whether he goes or not.
    Two words. Scott Parker...
  • PopIcon said:

Maybe TDH wants to go.

Two words. Scott Parker...
    Two more words, Richard Murray.
  • Sponsored links:

• So what if he does? He's under contract so it's up to us whether he goes or not.

Since when has that mattered? The moment a player decides he wants out (or his agent sniffs a hefty fee etc) they can make it fairly clear that unless they are allowed to go they will be less than committed. The club faces having someone not up for a scrap on their books and still paying them so they take the bid and bank the cash. A clever club then looks at how the re-invest to plug the gap. We are likely to bank the cash and spend a few quid on drinks for Squirrel Face and her SMT to celebrate what amazing business types they are.
  • mogodon said:

Since when has that mattered? The moment a player decides he wants out (or his agent sniffs a hefty fee etc) they can make it fairly clear that unless they are allowed to go they will be less than committed. The club faces having someone not up for a scrap on their books and still paying them so they take the bid and bank the cash. A clever club then looks at how the re-invest to plug the gap. We are likely to bank the cash and spend a few quid on drinks for Squirrel Face and her SMT to celebrate what amazing business types they are.
    Agreed, even at the best run clubs, if a player wants to go, ultimately, most of the time they go. @mogodon is bang on when he says the key part is how to reinvest the money. Right now we have two fullbacks who would likely be first choice in most other teams in League One. Only one can play. It seems pretty clear THD wants to be playing games--I remember at the start of last year he was talking about how he'd be going out on loan to get games, then he didn't. I don't know that he'll play more at Huddersfield but if he wants to go he's going to go. How we spend that money and replace him will be vital.
  • For all those like dack added more money to his value and dack came on as a sub why do we care. Whoever thought them rumours were true and actually thought we were going to sign him are nothing short of deluded
  • I believe he wants first team football and isn't getting it with us.
    Shame - he's got a superb left peg and pace to burn. I think he'll turn out pretty decent
  • PopIcon said:

Maybe TDH wants to go.

Large, you know that's not how it works. Football contracts arnt worth the paper they are written on. Besides, if I was a pro-footballer I'd rather play for Huddersfield than us.
  • PopIcon said:

PopIcon said:

Maybe TDH wants to go.

Large, you know that's not how it works. Football contracts arnt worth the paper they are written on. Besides, if I was a pro-footballer I'd rather play for Huddersfield than us.
    I agree. I was just pointing out that even if THD wants to go it isn't his decision IF the Club so choose to keep him. However we all know that KM will sell anyone if an offer comes along and she will see it as that he isn't a first teamer so isn't needed. Ideally she'd operate with an 18 man squad if she could as that is all that is required on a match day. Make no mistake a few more will go before the 31st of that I'm certain.
  • vff said:

It would be great if the club had a coherent strategy and ambition, that our excellent young players actually felt that their ambitions could be met at Charlton, rather than being a shop window to get to a move to a better more ambitious club.

Of the 17 in the squad on Saturday, 6 were from the academy. That's over 35%.

How many do you think should be from the academy? And if our club is so rubbish at bringing players through, why has someone from West Ham, (according to them, "the home of football") just left them to sign for us?
    Yes I must admit that our recruitment policy is improving.
  • Swisdom said:

I believe he wants first team football and isn't getting it with us.
    Shame - he's got a superb left peg and pace to burn. I think he'll turn out pretty decent

Why would he get it at Huddersfield? They signed a LB in the summer and loaned another one out.
  • Swisdom said:

I believe he wants first team football and isn't getting it with us.

Better put a sell on fee in the contract Katrien
  • Sponsored links:

• Cue Fox to get injured for the season....
  • Wouldn't be that surprised if Slade thinks Lennon can be back up to Fox now
  • Unless we are getting Yun Suk Young back? Who knows!
  • Also looking at free agents still some players that could come in and do a job.

3 that stand out are
    Chris Burke
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Yun Suk Young
  • Also looking at free agents still some players that could come in and do a job.

3 that stand out are
    Chris Burke
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Yun Suk Young

I would be disappointed if we signed any of those.

I would prefer to keep THD and play him left midfield if required. I am surprised he is not on the bench instead of Roger to be honest. Obvious cover for Fox, and Fox could go central defence if an injury there.
  • Chris Burke would be a great signing at this level... Charlie Mulgrew wouldnt be a bad signing either as looking at his Wiki page he can play CM / CB / LB so would certainly be the utility type player that is useful in any squad

3 that stand out are
    Chris Burke
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Yun Suk Young

Don't think Yun Suk Young would get a work permit now.
  • YSY would be a decent signing at this level, can play left midfield as well as left back, and fits the mould of Slade liking an out and out winger on one side and a more traditional wide midfielder on the other. Won't happen though.

I would like to keep THD but there is something that isn't clicking, whether it's he expects to play more, Slade doesn't think he's good enough or whatever, a move to a club a league above us is a no brainer.
  • Have the Belgians ever rejected an offer, ffs.

That response is far to sensible Exiled!
  • What annoys me is people talk about transfer fees and that we can't expect much as we are League 1 now, well so are Oxford and they sold a player for more than twice as much as we did Cousins and nearly as much as Burnley paid for Pope and JBG combined.