Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Transfer rumours thread (DEADLINE DAY starts page 300)

Comments

• cfgs said:

cfgs said:

cfgs said:

The fact that players we actually like and are a valuable asset leaving should be no surprise to anyone, hopefully we can offload the mistakes that this stupid regime bought as well.

Well Naby Sarr looks like a loan deal, so it seems not.

Thing is this lot need to learn from Polish Pete etc, if we think they are poor other teams will not want to waste the money on them we have, so get rid rather than loan.
    "Get rid" meaning pay up their contracts. Better to loan, get some money in and perhaps they come back improved.
    I meant get rid as in accept a fee, there is no point holding out for what we (over)paid for them, we just loan them out (probably without a loan fee) until their contract expires. If we get back a third of what we paid now, that is better than being forced to sell off yet another player that has actually done well for us.
    Selling crap for what you can get for it should be taken as read. Unfortunately, other teams are going to want our gold, not our turds, no matter how much we polish them.
  • cfgs said:

cfgs said:

cfgs said:

The fact that players we actually like and are a valuable asset leaving should be no surprise to anyone, hopefully we can offload the mistakes that this stupid regime bought as well.

Thing is this lot need to learn from Polish Pete etc, if we think they are poor other teams will not want to waste the money on them we have, so get rid rather than loan.
    "Get rid" meaning pay up their contracts. Better to loan, get some money in and perhaps they come back improved.
    I meant get rid as in accept a fee, there is no point holding out for what we (over)paid for them, we just loan them out (probably without a loan fee) until their contract expires. If we get back a third of what we paid now, that is better than being forced to sell off yet another player that has actually done well for us.
    Selling crap for what you can get for it should be taken as read. Unfortunately, other teams are going to want our gold, not our turds, no matter how much we polish them.
    Somebody idiot always has a turd fetish.
  • edited June 2016

Cant Burnley just sign Ben Hamer!!

Gamer only signs for teams that win the league. He will be a few months too late if he turns up at burnley he needs to sign for Hull.
  • Blucher said:

Very disappointing if this comes to pass.

So much for "realising the full value of our young players" - let alone trying to challenge next season in League 1. Hasn't it occurred to RD and KM that, if Popey continued in August where he left off last season, we could end up doing significantly better, both on the field and in terms of any eventual transfer fee ?

Unfortunately, his past dealings illustrate that Duchatelet has always taken a very short term view.

Several more outgoings to follow in short order. Doubtless, in each case, we'll be fed the usual platitudes about "not being able to stand in the player's way" etc, etc.

I agree 100%.

Mind you at 69 it's not surprising he takes a short term view.
  • Looking at Tom Heaton's history, he's been ever present for Burnley for the last 3 seasons! An excellent keeper, with a good fitness record, so going there you'd struggle to get any match time other than the odd Cup game. I see Paul Robinson was their back up keeper, would Pope be ahead of him?
  • So guys you would stay with your job despite an offer of better terms and conditions somewhere else.
  • Good money for an improving player
  • The first of many to leave the sinking ship this summer.
  • Sponsored links:

• I hope Pope stays but as good as Heaton is, he's not getting any younger and just like Elliot has at Newcastle, could easily find himself a Premier League number one in time. He'd also earn a nice payday at a stable club.

Or do a Ben Hamer and sit on the bench in the Champion's League. Ben Hamer. A Champion's League player. Let that settle in.
  • not fussed with Pope going to be honest

So presume you won't be fussed by replacement....
    don't particularly rate him and would prefer a more experienced keeper
    And do you really think, that we will get a more experienced keeper?.
  • cfgs said:

cfgs said:

cfgs said:

cfgs said:

In player terms, I think you'll find that's Roland & co.
  • Good bit of business if true.

Pope was improving but some of the slaughtering he took on here made it seem if we were offered a packet of crisps as a transfer offer in the summer then we would be better off.

Young keeper that made mistakes but got better and better the more game time he had, now theres a surprise.

If he is off for that much then good business all round, except for Pope.

• I hope Pope stays but as good as Heaton is, he's not getting any younger and just like Elliot has at Newcastle, could easily find himself a Premier League number one in time. He'd also earn a nice payday at a stable club.

Or do a Ben Hamer and sit on the bench in the Champion's League. Ben Hamer. A Champion's League player. Let that settle in.

Elliot has spent the majority of his Newcastle career bench warming and only played this year due to their keeper getting injured.
  • seth plum said:

Burnley now have a lot of money, back up first team keeper is a significant position. There may be alternatives out there, but Pope has a lot of years ahead of him and would be the right transfer for him and Burnley.
    It will only be right for Charlton if the finances are good. A decent negotiator ought to get 850 tweaked up to a million, and there ought to be appearance clauses, avoiding relegation clauses, and sell on clauses. Indeed we may have to give Bury Town some of the fee which should be used as a negotiating angle with Burnley.
    We then have to look to ourselves which would likely mean Dillon with his youth and limited experience. I like Phillips a lot, but making him first team first choice is a risk which they'd better get right.

If Pope goes to Burnley he'll be understudying one of the best keepers in Britain. He'll learn a lot. He's 21, keepers usually 'mature' in their late 20s. Pope could well be England's keeper in 10/12 years time.
    £850,000 to us right now is a LOT of cash and could virtually pay for a large team rebuilding exercise. How much did Powell spend on the team that got us the last promotion ?
  • seth plum said:

Burnley now have a lot of money, back up first team keeper is a significant position. There may be alternatives out there, but Pope has a lot of years ahead of him and would be the right transfer for him and Burnley.
    It will only be right for Charlton if the finances are good. A decent negotiator ought to get 850 tweaked up to a million, and there ought to be appearance clauses, avoiding relegation clauses, and sell on clauses. Indeed we may have to give Bury Town some of the fee which should be used as a negotiating angle with Burnley.
    We then have to look to ourselves which would likely mean Dillon with his youth and limited experience. I like Phillips a lot, but making him first team first choice is a risk which they'd better get right.

If Pope goes to Burnley he'll be understudying one of the best keepers in Britain. He'll learn a lot. He's 21, keepers usually 'mature' in their late 20s. Pope could well be England's keeper in 10/12 years time.
    £850,000 to us right now is a LOT of cash and could virtually pay for a large team rebuilding exercise. How much did Powell spend on the team that got us the last promotion ?
    Pope is 24 Lincs. But as you allude to, keepers have time on their side. However he'll have gone from regular (albeit only of late) first team football to bench warming.
  • seth plum said:

Pope is 24 Lincs. But as you allude to, keepers have time on their side. However he'll have gone from regular (albeit only of late) first team football to bench warming.
    thanks for the correction .. how time flies .. I agree about the bench warming .. BUT .. it's (nearly all nowadays) about the money. Pope could potentially become a millionaire by doing little else than training hard and taking part in the pre game warm ups. Better surely for a young man on the up than trudging around 3rd strata stadia whilst getting paid a 1/2, 1/3, whatever, than he could be earning as a number 2 number 1 (if you get my drift) at a premier club. We agree that keepers have a long shelf life. In a few years Pope could be at the Clarets or another 'top' club as a wealthy man and as a first team regular.
  • seth plum said:

thanks for the correction .. how time flies .. I agree about the bench warming .. BUT .. it's (nearly all nowadays) about the money. Pope could potentially become a millionaire by doing little else than training hard and taking part in the pre game warm ups. Better surely for a young man on the up than trudging around 3rd strata stadia whilst getting paid a 1/2, 1/3, whatever, than he could be earning as a number 2 number 1 (if you get my drift) at a premier club. We agree that keepers have a long shelf life. In a few years Pope could be at the Clarets or another 'top' club as a wealthy man and as a first team regular.
    Hard to disagree with this. For keepers especially, a couple of years benchwarming (& coining it in) still gives you plenty of playing time available in the years to come. And you never know: even Rob Elliot got some game time in eventually...
  • I'd rather keep him than sell him (for less than say £5m).

But if we have to sell him now, I think £850k seems like a decent price for a keeper who looked like he was going to have rubbish distribution and a tendency to flap and an inability to deal with a low bouncing ball forever.

He sorted nearly all that in the last 12 games and made some great stops as well.
  • Sponsored links:

• seth plum said:

Didn't realise he was that age myself until I read it the other day. Keepers like Stuart Taylor and Steve Harper made careers out of being happy not to play. Really wouldn't blame Pope for moving on and playing 2nd fiddle at his age.

It makes me laugh when, for example, Hamer, who could have got a gig as number one elsewhere, chooses to go to Leicester without a cats hope in hell of becoming number 1, ends up being Number 3 and going out on loan to get first team football.

Money certainly dictates.
  • Big, big Pope fan. That's good money for a League 1 side, unfortunately - think he'll go.

This is going to be a pretty gutting couple of months.
  • 850k with % sell on would be good business. We could then buy moncur and maybe another player.

Assuming Role won't be stumping up the cash this would make good sense.

• edited June 2016
    Thought Moncur already confirmed not coming here.
  • cfgs said:

cfgs said:

cfgs said:

cfgs said:

Some idiot always doesn't know how to write 'Some idiot'.
  • The money, whatever it is, will simply mitigate against losses. I fear that even if we achieve big money for Lookman and others it will be set against losses, and in terms of a rebuild we are looking at the Roger Johnson calibre of player, and probably on a free or a very low cost.
  • edited June 2016
    Prefer he stayed but don't blame him for going or the club for selling him either tbh. IF (BIG IF) it is around £850k then that's a decent price.
    Plus the ownership can point to the success of their plans for us getting to witness the future Premiership stars.
  • Elliott - second choice at Newcastle
    Randolph - second choice at West Ham
    Hamer - 3rd choice at Leicester

There's a pattern of our former keepers going to higher clubs and not playing