Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Transfer rumours thread (DEADLINE DAY starts page 300)

Comments

• Richard J said:

Swisdom said:

Decent left back /winger
    Former england international

Step forward Kieron Richardson

Hope this is true.
    Really?! He looked shocking for Villa last season.
  • If a club offers 7 figures for Lookman he'll be gone. Meire has a cell on her spreadsheet that needs filling.

Fully expect him to be gone at 11.59pm on Weds.

Roland has zero interest in the football side of the business.

Think Lookman will stay, just my opinion.

Think Incomings depend on shifting Tex and Ba, just my opinion

Reckon your both right to an extent... Reckon there is more outgoings required, if we can shift Tex and Ba then we can keep Lookman and sign one more player.

If it gets close to midnight and neither have gone yet an offer comes in for Lookman then we should be worried.

Out of curiousity does the Belgian Transfer Window close the same day?
  • Lookman going makes more sense of the sparing way we have used our most potent weapon than anything else to me. I'm confident Slade knows what he is doing so there are probably instructions from above at work here. It is becoming clear with this lot at the helm that any possibility of a good season will end on Wednesday!
  • Think Lookman will stay, just my opinion.

Think Incomings depend on shifting Tex and Ba, just my opinion

Like a lot of people I was certain that Lookman would go, with clubs waiting for him to come back from Germany with no injury then pounce.

With him still here, I am certain that clubs have not come in with an offer as surely the club would have taken the money at the first opportunity.

• Valley11 said:

Richard J said:

Swisdom said:

Decent left back /winger

Hope this is true.
    I agree. But he could do a decent job at this level I would have thought
  • Valley11 said:

Richard J said:

Swisdom said:

Decent left back /winger

Hope this is true.
    This. Selling young, promising players and replacing them with journeymen like Richardson, Foley, Johnson and Crofts. Where's the long-term strategy? It's all about making a quick buck.
    Id take Johnson out of that equation as hopefully he never plays again but Foley and Crofts havent played that badly... Our problem the last few years under Roland is weve relied too much on youth and inexperience of the English Leagues.

To say were relying on journeymen is a joke as the aim should be to get back out of this Division the right way and last time we did that with Hughes / Euell / Cort who had all been around the clubs themselves!!
  • Rudd = Hamer
    Pearce = Morrison
    Crofts = Hollands (Older version)
    Foley = Hughes
    Magennis = Hayes
    Ajose = BWP
    Novak = Something different

You can see similarities between this squad and the won that won the League (that squad was better)
  • Sponsored links:

• Rudd = Hamer
    Pearce = Morrison
    Foley = Hughes
    Magennis = Hayes
    Ajose = BWP

You can see similarities between this squad and the won that won the League (that squad was better)

agreed, was thinking the same yesterday.

The problem is that we haven't got a Yann, Wiggins v Fox is a no brainer, it is not the same Solly and we are desperately seeking a Stephens. Genuinely believe we can make play offs with 2 more signings.
  • For me it is about replacing players with promise with players who seem to have their best years behind them.
    Of course young players need nurturing, and of course older plsyers can bring valuable stuff to the team, but it requires planning and astute management.
    It feels like were cashing in with the younger departures as we are desperate for money, and signing older players with dodgy CV's because agents can see we're desperate for bodies.
    The Roger Johnson signing for example was born of raw floundering panic, not forensic analysis of need.
  • edited August 2016
    seth plum said:

For me it is about replacing players with promise with players who seem to have their best years behind them.
    Of course young players need nurturing, and of course older plsyers can bring valuable stuff to the team, but it requires planning and astute management.
    It feels like were cashing in with the younger departures as we are desperate for money, and signing older players with dodgy CV's because agents can see we're desperate for bodies.
    The Roger Johnson signing for example was born of raw floundering panic, not forensic analysis of need.

I don't agree, I genuinely believe at the end of the season we will see that Foley and Crofts were decent signings.

Of course I am not saying this was all the foresight and astute planning from KM or RD, but I think RS recognises the need for experienced reliable players such as the two mentioned. Think its unfair to say Crofts has a 'dodgy CV' when he has played a lot of football at a higher level than this, even a fair few Wales caps, Foley too.
  • Rudd = Hamer
    Pearce = Morrison
    Foley = Hughes
    Magennis = Hayes
    Ajose = BWP

The problem is that we haven't got a Yann, Wiggins v Fox is a no brainer, it is not the same Solly and we are desperately seeking a Stephens. Genuinely believe we can make play offs with 2 more signings.
    Yeah it's the Yann and Stephens that we're ultimately missing this time around...

Nor will we sign a similar player to them before Wednesday
  • Rudd = Hamer
    Pearce = Morrison
    Foley = Hughes
    Magennis = Hayes
    Ajose = BWP

Yeah it's the Yann and Stephens that we're ultimately missing this time around...

as great as Yann was, I don't think we necessary need him with Magennis and Novak competing for a spot, although we need Ajose to step up, sure he will.

The CM is the vital signing, I think we will see a CM and left sided player in before Wednesday. We are close to competing a reasonable summer IMO, just couple of pieces of the jigsaw left.
  • A dodgy CV can also allude to fitness and attitude.
    A player can have a catalogue of decent clubs and have played at a decent level and (I don't intend to be specific about any player here) but the old saying goes from the like of Bill Shankley, make sure your player's legs go, on another manager's pitch.
    Tony Watt has a decent playing CV by the way.
  • edited August 2016
    So any clues about who these 3 newbies are then @Redhenry ?
  • edited August 2016

If a club offers 7 figures for Lookman he'll be gone. Meire has a cell on her spreadsheet that needs filling.

Fully expect him to be gone at 11.59pm on Weds.

Roland has zero interest in the football side of the business.

It's a pity she has plenty of brain cells that appear to be redundant as well.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2016
    Gillis said:

Rudd = Hamer
    Pearce = Morrison
    Foley = Hughes
    Magennis = Hayes
    Ajose = BWP

The question is, who is this year's Cedric Evina, Danny Haynes, Jason Euell, Bradley Pritchard, Leon Clarke, Danny N'Guessan, Hogan Ephraim, Lee Cook or Darel Russell?

We utilised a lot of players in that promotion season, including short-term loans, which won't be an option this time around.

The above players may bot have been the greatest individually, and they didn't all play a large number of games, but the point is we had players that we could bring in when our better players were injured, or suspended, or just needed a rest. We didn't have to resort to throwing in untried players from the academy. We also had decent options from the bench.

Our problem this season isn't going to be the quality of the first team: just as last season, it's going to be the size of the squad. I really can't see us getting promoted with a squad as small as the one we currently have.

You have to temper that view with the recognition that it's exactly the same for all the clubs. I think our squad will be at least as big as anyone else's at this level and of a better overall quality than most.

That on its own doesn't mean much because we could still be unlucky with injuries or be generally poor.

All league one teams will be flirting with youth and experience and a couple of utility players.
  • Foley is right back and at a pinch midfield cover. That he has started the season in midfield says it all. I'm not criticising the player who is a useful addition to the squad and I would accept there are going to be times in a season where you might need him to play him in midfield to cover injuries. But starting with him in that position! Bloody hell! Then having him in a midfield with Jackson and Crofts. I mean, Bloody hell! Then you get some injuries and .....Bloody hell. This is not how you run a football club of our size in a league we need to get out of as a priority!

Agree but I think we will have a new central midfielder by Thursday and with Kashi and Diarra due back in the new year.

What we have started with is not ideal by any stretch but at league one level it's just not possible for it to be ideal. The skill of the manager is to get that balance right. No other league club will be operating much differently.

• Don't worry all these speculation posts will stop after Wednesday...then the "we should have signed x" posts and the moaning will start again.
  • Valley11 said:

Richard J said:

Swisdom said:

Decent left back /winger

Hope this is true.
    Along with the rest of the Villa squad it has to be said.
  • cafc4life said:

50 odd new posts and its people comparing players from 5 years ago . Jesus Christ

Is this "Christ" fella an attacking midfielder?