Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Transfer rumours thread (DEADLINE DAY starts page 300)

Comments

• Would love to know how far the Lookman deal got i.e.

- Did we even accept an offer
    - Did Lookman himself turn round and say no thanks?

I think the last one is important and should be leaked if so, all we ever hear about is when Players accept transfers and we think every single one of them is a mercenary yet at the same time there will be those like Louis Thompson who want to stay at their club yet fans are never aware of those scenarios

As Ade is out of the country, it may never have got to no. 2. We would have had our valuation of the player, and if the bids didn't meet that valuation, (or any escape clause in his contract) then there was no reason for him to be involved.

Unless the bidding club(s) contacted him directly, or through his agent. But this has a name. It's known as "tapping up", and you can get in trouble for that...

Saying that, Ade seems to be appreciative of where he is, and the chance the club have given him, so probably would like to continue his learning at The Valley.

Unlike a certain Diego Poyet...
    He's not out of the country.
  • http://www.sheffieldtelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/owls/sheffield-wednesday-frustration-for-owls-as-charlton-athletic-turn-down-three-offers-for-morgan-fox-1-8099138

Am I the only one who finds this amusing?

The dismay that is projected that someone could actually refuse to accept the money offered by such a "massive" club is palpable.

But, hey, if you're the biggest club in the known universe, I suppose you're allowed a certain feeling of self entitlement...
  • cafc4life said:

sam3110 said:

cafc4life said:

masicat said:

cafc4life said:

I honestly think Lookman will not be with us come midnight tonight and if you think he will then you obviously haven't been paying attention to whats been happening at our shambles of a football club the last 2 years.

Oops......
    Oh just cos he hasn't left this time round makes everything okay does it? Behave . People on here never fail to amuse me. One signing when we was looking at potentially 2/3 is made up for the fact we kept hold of one of our better players? No .
    But you specifically said that anyone who thinks Lookman will still be here haven't been paying any attention in the past 2 years.

So now you look stupid and yet again instead of holding your hands up and saying I got it wrong you lash out. So put your dummy back in your mouth, your toys back in your pram and behave yourself
    Patronising Div .

Morning sunshine!
  • Lookman bid accepted but it was too late in the day.
  • It is a very bleak time to be a Charlton fan and the only real glimmer of joy I get at the moment is watching Lookman doing magical things out there on the pitch, so when palarse want to rob me of my joy I just cringe. So I am delighted that we have kept our starlet and hope he will continue to develop as our little Messi.
  • J BLOCK said:

Lookman bid accepted but it was too late in the day.

• PaddyP17 said:

jamescafc said:

this should be posted on the wall of the dressing room & showed tp all the development squad on a daily basis.

be careful for whar you wish for
    The sad thing is I reckon the modern 18-20 year old footballer would be quite happy to do what Poyet did if the rumours around his salary increase are true.
    I think pretty much everyone would snap your hand off at a massive wage increase (anywhere between 3 and 10 times what you were on, or whatever, for essentially the same job), no matter what age. Footballers have a finite career so in a sense I don't blame him, but another year with us and he'd have developed into a far better footballer with I would guess more potential earning power.
    True, and if memory serves correctly (and it doesn't always) Poyet was a 'boardroom' Gold/Sullivan signing for WHU rather than a managerial one which, just like the very similar signing of Ravel Morrison for WHU foisted upon Allardyce, was always likely to end in tears.
    I think (again not 100% certain) that Gus Poyet advised his son to stay the extra year but at that age it seems impossible to get them to look at their best long-term interests. If his own father couldn't do it.................!!!!
  • edited September 2016

http://www.sheffieldtelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/owls/sheffield-wednesday-frustration-for-owls-as-charlton-athletic-turn-down-three-offers-for-morgan-fox-1-8099138

Am I the only one who finds this amusing?

The dismay that is projected that someone could actually refuse to accept the money offered by such a "massive" club is palpable.

But, hey, if you're the biggest club in the known universe, I suppose you're allowed a certain feeling of self entitlement...

I think its very disappointing, I agree that us smaller "feeder clubs" have a duty to accept any offer, however moderate, and should not stiffle the progress of such massive clubs as Sheff Weds.
  • PaddyP17 said:

jamescafc said:

this should be posted on the wall of the dressing room & showed tp all the development squad on a daily basis.

be careful for whar you wish for
    The sad thing is I reckon the modern 18-20 year old footballer would be quite happy to do what Poyet did if the rumours around his salary increase are true.
    I think pretty much everyone would snap your hand off at a massive wage increase (anywhere between 3 and 10 times what you were on, or whatever, for essentially the same job), no matter what age. Footballers have a finite career so in a sense I don't blame him, but another year with us and he'd have developed into a far better footballer with I would guess more potential earning power.
    True, and if memory serves correctly (and it doesn't always) Poyet was a 'boardroom' Gold/Sullivan signing for WHU rather than a managerial one which, just like the very similar signing of Ravel Morrison for WHU foisted upon Allardyce, was always likely to end in tears.
    I think (again not 100% certain) that Gus Poyet advised his son to stay the extra year but at that age it seems impossible to get them to look at their best long-term interests. If his own father couldn't do it.................!!!!
    Available on a free, lot of baggage but undoubted talent. Worth a go on a short term contract?
  • jams said:

Ulvestad could be the new Andy Reid or the new eggert Johnson - let's hope it's the former

More like the new Nicky Bailey
  • Sponsored links:

I think the last one is important and should be leaked if so, all we ever hear about is when Players accept transfers and we think every single one of them is a mercenary yet at the same time there will be those like Louis Thompson who want to stay at their club yet fans are never aware of those scenarios

Admire your faith in people, but an 18 year old simple does not say "no thanks" to an extra 0 on the end of his salary and a two division jump.
  • J BLOCK said:

Lookman bid accepted but it was too late in the day.

Hmmm not sure about this.

Palace could be saying this to unsettle Lookman before Jan window. 'We made an offer but your clubs messing about has cost you a move to the Premier League'
  • I think people on here rate Lookman a lot higher than the rest of the footballing world. He would need to be banging them in on a regular basis in league 1 to get really noticed.

Admire your faith in people, but an 18 year old simple does not say "no thanks" to an extra 0 on the end of his salary and a two division jump.
    What about Jack Butland when he turned down Chelsea a few years ago?
  • masicat said:

I think people on here rate Lookman a lot higher than the rest of the footballing world. He would need to be banging them in on a regular basis in league 1 to get really noticed.

His regular inclusion in the England youth squads where pretty much every other player is at a premier league club is surely enough to get him noticed.
  • Our league position by January may very well decide the fate of Fox, Lookman, BFG and Tex. if we are not challenging for automatic promotion I fear they will all be sold.

• edited September 2016
    Haven't had time to read through all the overnight posts, so forgive me if someone else has suggested this. I can't help thinking that the Lookman being sold rumours yesterday, were a smokescreen designed to make us grateful that he wasn't sold and to soften the blow that only one player was signed yesterday, when Russell had said he hoped for a couple.
  • Russell Slade doesn't want Ba and Texeira here, so I can't see them playing much.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2016
    I imagine it's a case of "if you don't want to be here, I don't want you here either" as far as Slade's concerned.

That's the only slightly logical thing that comes to mind as to why he wouldn't want Tex involved. Now the window has closed, a few things might change.
  • masicat said:

I think people on here rate Lookman a lot higher than the rest of the footballing world. He would need to be banging them in on a regular basis in league 1 to get really noticed.

Rubbish. All the big clubs in England have watched him a lot over the past year. I think that he will be gone in January. If Slade gives him a chance In the first team on a regular basis he will score a number of goals but also make a few. I think his transfer value will go up to 10M.
    I have seen a lot of Lookman coming through the U18s and U21s and he is the real deal. It is just a matter of time when a big Club buys him and I don't mean Palace.

Keepers are a bit different though I think. If you're a kid going to a big team as a keeper...you pretty much know that you're not going to be playing.

Outfield players will know their chances will be limited but the their competition will be more likely to be injured. There will also be more positions available to an outfield player.

I would agree that IF there was an accepted offer there - it would be extremely unlikely that AL would turn it down.
  • dickplumb said:

Russell Slade doesn't want Ba and Texeira here, so I can't see them playing much.

Why would he not want Tex here? He's easily our best CB.
    Doesn't always mean the best attitude, though does it?
    Maybe the feeling is mutual and Tex does not want to be here either.

Different circumstances with Butland already had a career established and a decent amount of 0's to his name.
  • Just a side note for anyone still confused, the English premiership ceased to exist a few years ago. Unless you are all referring to the one in Scotland, then as you were.
  • Other than early sold on the cheap departures I am happy with this window and the business we have done it. We always want more, but I would rather have Lookman than sold him and got a winger in on loan. I know nothing about our Norwegian new boy but Slade seems to have done ok so far with his buys, also Diarra and maybe even Kashi will be back soon to supplement the midfield.